IGNORED

Lori Alexander wants tolerance....for herself

Disagreeing with incorrect facts is not the same as being nasty.

Yes, Lori, I will comment - repeatedly - when information is just plain wrong.

Why do I care?

Because:

1. Hallmark movies are not reality. I believe that confusing media representation with actual truth is a problem - both in making the past look overly rosy and the present look overly depressing.

2. Lori isn't just being nostalgic - she is advocating social policy changes based on her distorted views of the past and present. I don't think it's possible to long for days when "God was in the schools" without also acknowledging that non-Christians faced blatant discrimination, and without acknowledging that the United States (and Canada) was not willing to open its borders to non-Christian refugees who were desperate to flee from Hitler. Part of the reason that immigration increased after WWII and that the United States was more open to refugees from all over the world was that people were so horrified by the Holocaust.

3. Lori wants to turn the clock back on women's rights. That discussion needs honest analysis - not distorted views. That fact is that women did not have rights when their husbands abandoned or abused them. Not all families happily stayed together.

4. If you want to talk specifically about media images of sex, then do so. Don't tell me, however, that a pop star "twerking" is a sign that society is going down the drain and heading straight toward the End Times. Most of the people I know had relatives murdered in the 1940s. Someone doing a bad dance really doesn't compare, unless your entire perspective on the world is completely out of whack. For that matter - how does someone doing a dance in the United States outweigh the fact that approx. 100,000 people have died as a result of the Syrian conflict and that the Syrian government used sarin gas on its own people? The argument only makes sense if you believe that God doesn't care about any place on earth other than the US, and doesn't care about anything other than gay sex, sex in the media and abortion.

I think we can assume that she means us. Hi Lori!!!! :nenner:

Quick round up of the things that FJ'ers actually hate:

- People who hit little children with sticks and / or let them go hungry

- People who spew hatred of gays

- People who adopt kids from overseas and drop them like a hot brick when said kids have a few problems

I think that's about it as far as *hate* goes. People who just have really, really stupid opinions we just have a little fun with.

Also can I just add that the German and Swedish posters on here have far, far better English than Lori just demo'd in the above quote?

She is referring to us, but she seems to imply that more than one site is talking about her. I've looked on GOMI and she isn't mentioned there. I wonder if a blogger is talking about her. There have been non fundie bloggers who have discussed some of the fundies we discuss here.

Disagreeing with incorrect facts is not the same as being nasty.

Yes, Lori, I will comment - repeatedly - when information is just plain wrong.

Why do I care?

Because:

1. Hallmark movies are not reality. I believe that confusing media representation with actual truth is a problem - both in making the past look overly rosy and the present look overly depressing.

2. Lori isn't just being nostalgic - she is advocating social policy changes based on her distorted views of the past and present. I don't think it's possible to long for days when "God was in the schools" without also acknowledging that non-Christians faced blatant discrimination, and without acknowledging that the United States (and Canada) was not willing to open its borders to non-Christian refugees who were desperate to flee from Hitler. Part of the reason that immigration increased after WWII and that the United States was more open to refugees from all over the world was that people were so horrified by the Holocaust.

3. Lori wants to turn the clock back on women's rights. That discussion needs honest analysis - not distorted views. That fact is that women did not have rights when their husbands abandoned or abused them. Not all families happily stayed together.

4. If you want to talk specifically about media images of sex, then do so. Don't tell me, however, that a pop star "twerking" is a sign that society is going down the drain and heading straight toward the End Times. Most of the people I know had relatives murdered in the 1940s. Someone doing a bad dance really doesn't compare, unless your entire perspective on the world is completely out of whack. For that matter - how does someone doing a dance in the United States outweigh the fact that approx. 100,000 people have died as a result of the Syrian conflict and that the Syrian government used sarin gas on its own people? The argument only makes sense if you believe that God doesn't care about any place on earth other than the US, and doesn't care about anything other than gay sex, sex in the media and abortion.

This. Like I said it before, Lori probably doesn't give shit about the discrimination Jews and Muslims have face in this country. I don't think Lori and Ken would have liked living in the 40s America as a Jewish couple.

Lori, if you don't like the replies you are getting, either make your blog private, stop blogging, or just learn to take it. You have no problem spewing hate, but when it's thrown right back at you, you don't like. Boo fucking hoo!

I have no clue what world a few commenters are living in, but to think that the world is not running headlong into the End Times is to be out of touch with reality. Evil is always present in the world, but there was a time in the U.S. where churches were filled, neighbors who knew each other and acted like a church, even with unbelievers. Doors were never locked, kids played out in the streets and hope abounded.

When was this? Was this in the 1980s, in the middle of an enormous crime wave? The 1950s, when families might get attacked simply for being black? The 1930s, when lynching was common (and fun for the whole family!) and the US was rushing to close doors to refugees? The influenza pandemic, when in some neighborhoods the dead lay in the street because nobody could be bothered to cart them away?

I don't need to imagine what things were like in the past, because I can damn well look it up.

As far as the crime rate goes, it is important to draw a distinction between increased reporting of a crime (such as rape, where we know many people do not report) and increased incidence.

Maybe! Does he chew tobacco and have an Arkansas drawl?

Lol. He does chew tobacco, and does drawl, but it's more exaggerated Colorado/Pennsylvania. He's actually English but emigrated to the US in 2006. When he rings home to talk to us, he plays that up, and when he's around the Americans he sees every day, he camps up his Englishness because apparently women find it sexy.

I know I have websites that hate everything good, moral, and decent that mock me

Holy hyperbole, Batman!

And here I thought we defended the rights of minorities, called out people who abuse children and fundraised for children's hospitals...

I'm a little surprised she hasn't made her blog private, but then again, she does seem to like playing the martyr, and dissenting opinions/comments do give her that outlet.

She enjoys the attention to much, that's why. That, or she's really delusional and thinks that she has a snowball's chance in hell of converting us. Or both.

I find it squicky that she constantly runs to Ken for "backup" - it reminds me far too much of the neighborhood tattletale running home to "Tell my Dad on you!". We all hated THAT kid...

"Just wait until my father hears about this, Potter!"

I think we can assume that she means us. Hi Lori!!!! :nenner:

Quick round up of the things that FJ'ers actually hate:

- People who hit little children with sticks and / or let them go hungry

- People who spew hatred of gays

- People who adopt kids from overseas and drop them like a hot brick when said kids have a few problems

I think that's about it as far as *hate* goes. People who just have really, really stupid opinions we just have a little fun with.

Also can I just add that the German and Swedish posters on here have far, far better English than Lori just demo'd in the above quote?

What about people who adopt kids domestically and drop them like a hot brick? Are they OK? Because that happens, too.

Lol. He does chew tobacco, and does drawl, but it's more exaggerated Colorado/Pennsylvania. He's actually English but emigrated to the US in 2006. When he rings home to talk to us, he plays that up, and when he's around the Americans he sees every day, he camps up his Englishness because apparently women find it sexy.

Too funny! I live in Colorado. I wonder if I have a Colorado accent? And if it sounds like a Pennsylvania one? I've never thought them to be similar. :lol:

Too funny! I live in Colorado. I wonder if I have a Colorado accent? And if it sounds like a Pennsylvania one? I've never thought them to be similar. :lol:

No, it's because he used to live in Denver but has now moved to Pittsburgh.

PJB · 19 hours ago

Lori, do you really think that the only way you would know if some of your writing was historically inaccurate would be if (a) Ken disagreed, or (b) God miraculously eliminated your capacity to type things?

Lots of people who find themselves capable of typing also have supportive husbands. We can't all be right, just based on that criteria.

Honestly, the Bible simply does not say, "WWII was a nice era, not quite as sexualized as 2000 onward." -- Therefore your post was a simple opinion piece, and a poorly researched one, subject to the disagreement of many on the internet. Further, you stated the premise that it was "a more innocent time" in general, and cited many examples of how you imagine it was nicer then that were not sexual in nature.

If you stuck to the simple idea that sexuality has many fewer societal limitations now, well, I think I and the internet might have agreed with you.

It's just that having many fewer societal limitations on sexual behaviour actually does *not* make that a more innocent time. Sexuality is only one kind of sin, and only one kind of societal problem. In order to defend the idea that it really was a more innocent time (generally) you would need to take a lot more factors into account... which would require research.

As a Christian, too, you would probably want to take a more Biblical approach to the idea of innocence: that, apart from Christ no one is "innocent" and in Christ, we all are.

Ken · 8 hours ago

Please try to disagree without being condescending and throwing out your opinions as if they are facts. We know you disagree, and Lori's post was not about disagreement so much as how some people are offended by her message to a point of intolerance.

I am curious as to your IQ because it seems it may be very high, yet "even some of the most high-IQ people around can't see the big picture because they get lost in the details."

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/031008_intelligence_bi...

Ken · 9 hours ago

Lori’s purpose is to proclaim a message of life and godliness, and to motivate others to live by God’s Word. She has lots to offer, and I advise that the reader focus on her theme and message instead of getting lost in a detail or two of disagreement. If you missed the message of the original post because you got lost in your details, here it is. Lori writes:

“I just think living in a society that wasn't so sexualized would have been good. Good for marriages. Good for young people. Easier for men.”

Now you tell me what historical accuracy is necessary to convey this message? For goodness sakes she watched a Hallmark movie and wanted to gush about it. If you find yourself getting stuck on some peripheral details that are not germane to the message, remember, Jesus said,

“The mustard seed is the smallest of all seeds,” yet we know that it is not the smallest.

Should we throw out the premise of his message because his teacher gave him a bad fact in school? Or move right past I to the heart of God’s Word?

I am sure some will have fun pointing out to Jesus all the times he was not scientifically and historically accurate, because it is bugging them to death. For Lori’s blog please try to see the big picture and the truths God is teaching through Lori. She teaches me many things every day, about life, godliness and how to live with pain and suffering. She is gifted and appreciates all the 20 to 1 comments in support of her mission and purpose with her blog.

I admit that reading Lori's blog, sometimes makes me glad that I became an atheist. I can't imagine a loving God using a a woman like Lori to promote misogyny and other forms of hate. I had to laugh at how Ken says Lori is "gifted". She gives shitty marital advice on her blog all the time and she is dumb about a lot of things like you know what would happen if women weren't in healthcare. She called Beyonce's performance at the Super Bowl "a sad day for America". That wasn't a sad day, but in Lori's mind it was up there with mass shootings and terrorist attacks. I also remember a post where Lori compared universal healthcare to the Nazis.

Ken · 9 hours ago

Lori’s purpose is to proclaim a message of life and godliness, and to motivate others to live by God’s Word. She has lots to offer, and I advise that the reader focus on her theme and message instead of getting lost in a detail or two of disagreement. If you missed the message of the original post because you got lost in your details, here it is. Lori writes:

“I just think living in a society that wasn't so sexualized would have been good. Good for marriages. Good for young people. Easier for men.â€

Now you tell me what historical accuracy is necessary to convey this message? For goodness sakes she watched a Hallmark movie and wanted to gush about it. If you find yourself getting stuck on some peripheral details that are not germane to the message, remember, Jesus said,

“The mustard seed is the smallest of all seeds,†yet we know that it is not the smallest.

Should we throw out the premise of his message because his teacher gave him a bad fact in school? Or move right past I to the heart of God’s Word?

For Lori’s blog please try to see the big picture and the truths God is teaching through Lori. She teaches me many things every day, about life, godliness and how to live with pain and suffering. She is gifted and appreciates all the 20 to 1 comments in support of her mission and purpose with her blog.

Translation: Don't question Lori, because she is apparently a prophet. God is teaching through her, so questions about historical accuracy aren't about having a reasonable conversation and debate - they are a form of heresy. Focusing on facts and logical arguments is the tool of Satan.

Also, where was anyone talking about taking away her right to express herself?

She can post whatever blog posts she likes. If she allows comments, she'll get them. If she has let people know her email, she may get emails. If she decides not to publish negative comments, people still have the right to comment/snark elsewhere. That's how freedom of speech works. It's not a right reserved for Lori only.

Please try to disagree without being condescending and throwing out your opinions as if they are facts. We know you disagree, and Lori's post was not about disagreement so much as how some people are offended by her message to a point of intolerance.

I am curious as to your IQ because it seems it may be very high, yet "even some of the most high-IQ people around can't see the big picture because they get lost in the details."

Only Ken gets to be condescending.

Now you tell me what historical accuracy is necessary to convey this message?

I thought bearing false witness was one of those sin thingies.

More to the point, does he really think an opinion that is contrary to the facts is as valid as one that is historically accurate?

A less sexualized society would be easier for men, huh Ken? Well why didn't you say so? It IS all about teh menz, after all.

I thought bearing false witness was one of those sin thingies.

More to the point, does he really think an opinion that is contrary to the facts is as valid as one that is historically accurate?

Ken thinks anyone who dares to challenge him in any way (or Lori), that person is mean, evil and against "God" because apparently he and Lori speak for said "god". Apparently Ken and Lori are superior to all humans and never, ever make mistakes. They are truly holier-than-all. Bow down before the omnipotent Alexanders! :worship:

I learned that stuff on TV was not real when I was about 5 years old. I thought that was about the normal time frame for this. My kids seemed to understand it about the same age.

Why do fundies not seem to grasp this?

Archived