IGNORED

Teach Them Diligently

GenerationCedarchip

Okay, so we're expecting our first child. And - as many of you who read my posts probably know, I grew up in reformed fundiedom and still have fundie relatives and acquaintances. Anyway, a couple of my fundie cousins gave me a family pass to one of the Teach Them Diligently conferences. It's actually within driving distance, so at least I wouldn't have to fly.

On the one hand, I'm thinking this would be a golden fundie-watching opportunity. After all, Voddie Baucham and Ken Ham will be speaking! Then again, the baby isn't even here yet and by the time conference rolls around, he/she will still be quite small. I figure not having school age children would pretty much put me out of the homeschool demographic, so wouldn't I instantly stand out as a mole?

So, what do you all think? Undercover reporting from South Carolina or no? Also, is anyone familiar with the conference? I've only read about it online but I know we have some homeschoolers on here and thought you may have heard of it.

I doubt you would stand out...at least in my area homeschool conferences used to be attended by all strict-ish looking fundies herding tons of children around in matching outfits (my family included), but now most people look "normal" and often the kids run off and hang out together instead of sticking with their parents or the parents come without their children. I think you should go for it!

Congrats on the upcoming baby!

I doubt you would stand out...at least in my area homeschool conferences used to be attended by all strict-ish looking fundies herding tons of children around in matching outfits (my family included), but now most people look "normal" and often the kids run off and hang out together instead of sticking with their parents or the parents come without their children. I think you should go for it!

I agree with the above. Plus, lots of potential homeschoolers start planning while their children are not yet school age, so you shouldn't be seen as a mole.

No, you would look perfectly normal there. My fundie brother's wife went to homeschool conferences TWO YEARS before she became pregnant! I suppose it's easier to focus and concentrate before the children arrive?? Go and let us know what you learn!

I don't know if you would stand out amongst the fundie set planning for education while your child is still a baby, but I am going to an elementary school education fair tomorrow, and my munchkin is a month old today. :p

Maybe you could borrow a friend's kids and dress them in matching frumpers for just the afternoon, so you'd appear more like that demographic. You could pay them off and teach them a back story...could be fun.

I have an old friend descending into fundiedom who just told me how "blessed they were to be able to afford the Abeka program" for the kids. She knows I'm a public school teacher, and she sort of sounds a bit superior about telling me. Anyway, I'm intrigued and would be interested in going to one of these conferences in an anthropological sort of way.

Josh & Anna Duggar went to the Big Sandy Home School conference after marriage but before Mack. I don't think you will be alone. Just remember to dress fundy. It will be worth it to hear Voddie.

Josh & Anna Duggar went to the Big Sandy Home School conference after marriage but before Mack. I don't think you will be alone. Just remember to dress fundy. It will be worth it to hear Voddie.

Not a problem. I have a couple of outfits that I use when I am visiting the more fundie members of the family. Perhaps I'll even add scarves and wild hair a la Botkinette. I have to admit that I am kind of interested to hear Baucham in person.

We have been thinking of possibly homeschooling, though probably not in the way most fundies would envision. Will have to take a spin through the Exhibit Hall to see what kinds of things I encounter.

Archived