IGNORED

Utah State Senator Calls for End of Mandatory Education

happy atheist

This is another reason for changing the states name to Utardia.

No. Just no. Please think about how derivations of "retarded" are no better than the original. It's a slur.

No. Just no. Please think about how derivations of "retarded" are no better than the original. It's a slur.

:whaaa: Did someone call the PC police?

I'm not into gov't conspiracy theories but sometimes I honestly can't tell if these kinds of maneuvers are created with good intentions (parents should be able to do what they want with their kids!) or are made in order to create an ignorant and pliable population that is easily taken advantage of.

When my dad was teaching 7th grade US History, he had to give the Constitution Test. A passing grade on the test was mandatory for graduating junior high.

In Illinois this test is administered in 10th grade US History and has to be passed to graduate from high school. I give it in the fall, and in the spring. If students don't pass in 10th they get the option to try again in 12th. Passing is getting 60%. Yet so many students don't graduate from high school because of it. :cry:

:whaaa: Did someone call the PC police?

It's not about being PC...it's about insulting people. I teach Special Ed. One of my students was called a retard by another student. She spent ages crying inconsolably saying "I'm not stupid." You wouldn't say "That's so gay!" when you mean "that's so stupid!" Why? Because it is insulting to gay people (and those that know and love them). Likewise, don't use "retard" or any variation in place of the word "stupid." It is insulting and degrading to my students and all individuals with intellectual disabilities. There are PLENTY of other strong words you can use to get your point across without insulting others.

Sorry for the rant, but this gets me really pissed off.

It's not about being PC...it's about insulting people. I teach Special Ed. One of my students was called a retard by another student. She spent ages crying inconsolably saying "I'm not stupid." You wouldn't say "That's so gay!" when you mean "that's so stupid!" Why? Because it is insulting to gay people (and those that know and love them). Likewise, don't use "retard" or any variation in place of the word "stupid." It is insulting and degrading to my students and all individuals with intellectual disabilities. There are PLENTY of other strong words you can use to get your point across without insulting others.

Sorry for the rant, but this gets me really pissed off.

Utardia is a local slang for Utah because there is a lot of stupidity in the state in part due to the LDS majority.

I dont equate calling a place stupid with calling a person stupid. Two different things. And yes, I do think that Utah as a while is stupid. I have lived there (both as an adult and child) and know more about the culture then you.

Utardia is a local slang for Utah because there is a lot of stupidity in the state in part due to the LDS majority.

I dont equate calling a place stupid with calling a person stupid. Two different things. And yes, I do think that Utah as a while is stupid. I have lived there (both as an adult and child) and know more about the culture then you.

You are using the name of a person's disability as a substitute for the word "stupid." Ergo, you are implying people with intellectual disabilities/mental retardation are stupid. You wouldn't use "cerebral palsy" as a substitute for stupid because it doesn't have that connotation. Unfortunately, retardation does have that connotation.

I really don't care whether or not you think Utah is stupid. I've never been there. I care about the words you are using to call it stupid. I don't care if "everyone else" is using "Utardia." That still doesn't make it right.

You are using the name of a person's disability as a substitute for the word "stupid." Ergo, you are implying people with intellectual disabilities/mental retardation are stupid. You wouldn't use "cerebral palsy" as a substitute for stupid because it doesn't have that connotation. Unfortunately, retardation does have that connotation.

I really don't care whether or not you think Utah is stupid. I've never been there. I care about the words you are using to call it stupid. I don't care if "everyone else" is using "Utardia." That still doesn't make it right.

This is where you and I will forever disagree. I dont believe that words in and of themselves hurt people. I think that the intent of the statement hurts. I have seen people say nasty things to others without using words that are normally associated with saying something nasty. I also dont agree with getting upset about the possibility of something offending someone else. We live in a society where this happens all too often. People play victim cards for others that may or may not get offended. I am tired of that.

And what is your intent behind the term 'Utardia'? To show that people in the state are stupid? You are using it as a slur. That slur comes from the term 'retard' which has been directed at my daughter just this last week.

If your intent is to insult, as it clearly was, then you are no better than those who bullied my disabled daughter on Friday.

Words mean things. Think about it.

Does he actually want America to fail?

Just spent some time this summer working with Chinese and Russian kids in the UK. (Teaching English) They're generally ahead of British kids, especially in Maths. Don't know how that compares to kids in the USA, but believe me, there are plenty of people in the world who know that without education a country fails. And plenty of kids out there being educated to overtake the USA, judgng from the conversations I had with their teachers.

How can anyone in a civilised country possibly be so ignorant?

It's just another step to allow the wealthy to drive the non-wealthy deeper into poverty while they reap more benefits.

I'm sure Senator Osmond and those like him can afford to send their kids to the finest private schools. Why should they have to pay taxes to support public schools systems that teach evil things like sex education and career counseling? (seriously, he bitched about that?)

Kids of parents who have to work multiple jobs to survive or are otherwise unable to provide an education for them should just go out and clean toilets like Newt Gingrich said. Or maybe we should open up Chinese-style factories and eliminate child labor laws in the US. That'll keep the little bastards in their place.

There is an agenda to this latest erosion of the educational system and I think that it really has little to do with religion and everything to do with money and power. Education gives you ideas and ideas make people dangerous. They might not be satisfied toiling away in the fields or cleaning the garbage. They might want something better and they might have the tools to move up and out. At a time when our society has fostered an ever widening gap between the rich and poor the last thing the ruling "elite" want is to educate the workers. It is just so much easier to control people when you control information. As for religion - well that can be used to keep people in their place too. I'm not a historian but I think I've seen this pattern of human society before. That is the point I think - you can't learn from history if you don't teach it.

And what is your intent behind the term 'Utardia'? To show that people in the state are stupid? You are using it as a slur. That slur comes from the term 'retard' which has been directed at my daughter just this last week.

If your intent is to insult, as it clearly was, then you are no better than those who bullied my disabled daughter on Friday.

Exactly.

T549VoLca_Q

You clearly dont know what my intent was. If you did then you would not be blowing it out of proportion. I am walking away from this because its clear that some people are going to be butt hurt even on a snark site. I have no intention on arguing about this.

Whatever the intent, the use of the term 'retarded' is insulting and pejorative. Sola is not blowing it out of proportion.

'Retarded' is an 'othering' term used to place distance between the 'normal' person who uses it, and the person against whom it is used. It's not about political correctness, it's about concepts of difference and superiority/inferiority. It's frequently used to bully and demean. Intent, or lack of it doesn't make any difference.

Also the use of the belittling term 'butt hurt' implies that Sola's somehow a wimp to protest the term. It's not a question of butt hurt, it's a question of acceptable terminology - and this being a snark site doesn't excuse prejudice against less able people.

You clearly dont know what my intent was. If you did then you would not be blowing it out of proportion. I am walking away from this because its clear that some people are going to be butt hurt even on a snark site. I have no intention on arguing about this.

I think your intent was pretty easy to see. But if I'm wrong please do tell us the happy, sparkly, respectful meaning behind the term 'Utardia'.

In other words dear, fuck you.

Back on to topic,

All of the Osmond children have benefited from mandatory education. Many got their education in evil public schools. They also got stage time while in the evil public schools. My uncle went to school with some of the older children and he said that they were the entertainment for all assemblies. Its insulating that they want to end the education that they benefited from. You can not become a state senator without formal education. There is a new generation of Osmond girls trying to make it in show business. I wonder if this is in response to them. Its hard to practice when you have to be educated for a specified part of the day.

Now that this guy has gotten blowback from his suggestion, he is saying that what he really wanted was a "discussion" about the state of education in Utah. He says he didn't really intend to make education optional. I call BS on that. He meant what he said. He is just so into his bubble that he didn't realize that even most of his fellow Republicans would not sanction his idea. But, sadly, the polling did reveal that, though the majority of Republicans were against his proposal, almost 30% were supportive of it. That scares me.

Sometimes when I view these stories, it's hard for me to tell if I am reading a dystopian novel or the actual news. Both seem to promote an ignorant, hungry, unhealthy class of disposable workers.

Now that this guy has gotten blowback from his suggestion, he is saying that what he really wanted was a "discussion" about the state of education in Utah. He says he didn't really intend to make education optional. I call BS on that. He meant what he said. He is just so into his bubble that he didn't realize that even most of his fellow Republicans would not sanction his idea. But, sadly, the polling did reveal that, though the majority of Republicans were against his proposal, almost 30% were supportive of it. That scares me.

When all else fails, reach for the "I misspoke" backpedal.

So we don't know your intent behind mashing Utah with retard, but you aren't going to explain? That makes absolutely no sense at all. This isn't butt hurt anymore than if someone had mashed up the word Utah with the "n" word. This is a snark site, but it has always been fairly clear that some things are frowned upon when it comes to snarking.

Oh, so since SWFH has declared that she doesn't believe words can hurt people, that means they can't and the discussion is over.

Do you use the n-word? "F*gg*t"? "K*ke"? Newsflash: you don't get to draw the line and decide that no more words can be added to the offensive word list because you can't be arsed to remember.

What you're really saying is, "I don't give a fuck about hurting people." So just say what you mean.

Oh, so since SWFH has declared that she doesn't believe words can hurt people, that means they can't and the discussion is over.

Do you use the n-word? "F*gg*t"? "K*ke"? Newsflash: you don't get to draw the line and decide that no more words can be added to the offensive word list because you can't be arsed to remember.

What you're really saying is, "I don't give a fuck about hurting people." So just say what you mean.

Just to piggy back onto that. If one were to use "gay" to mean stupid-as in "that's so gay"- I have no doubt that SWFH would agree that using "gay" in such a way is insulting and demeaning. The use of the word "retard" to mean stupid is therefore inherently stupid.

Also, SWFH- I'm assuming that combining the words "Utah" and "retard" was to prove that Utah is stupid. Therefore, you are equating retardation with stupidity. Or, if not, what were your intentions behind using the word?

Archived