IGNORED

Families dressing alike

IReallyAmHopewell

When I was a medical student we had a professor who wore a light blue shirt and Khakis every day to work. He explained he was color blind and he knew those colors worked together. On the last day of the rotation all 6 of us medical students in his group wore light blue shirts and Khakis. That was the last last time I intentionally dressed like another adult- and it was a joke!

Also WTF is

Hospitable extraordinaire
? Honestly the've got to spend a little more time next year coming up with "H" "A" and "R" words.

My best friend and I work at the same office. Everyone knows that we've been close since high school. Often, I show up and she is wearing something VERY similar to me, either in color or style. This happens a lot on staff meeting, training, or luncheon days so everyone notices it and we've been asked if we coordinate. We have actually begun texting eachother those mornings to ensure we do not match, lol.

My mom loved to make my sister and I match eachother when we were small. Once I hit 8 that stopped. She still requests that we coordinate colors for photos, and I have no issue with that.

This is just another fundie family showing off the duplicated manufactured identities of their children. God forbid anybody be allowed their own identity, independent of their family's. :angry-banghead:

I admit I dress my two littles in the same things. I think it is very cute on them, but I will stop when they ask....until then matching everything!!!

Of course after I posted this yesterday I was blog hopping and landed on the Seven Sisters....oh my....the fashion horror that IS that family!

I hate, hate, hate with a passion when people deliberately dress alike. Even with kids (I swore if we had twins I would never dress them the same) and ESPECIALLY adults. It's not cute IMO, just creepy. When it comes to fundie families dressing alike, well... Considering how they want to erase every shred of individuality, it makes sense in a twisted way. But every time I see one of these families--the Bateses in their garish turquoise and lime green get-ups, the Maxwells in their ever-so-prim-and-prissy floral skirts--I'm just creeped out to the extreme.

My aversion to this is actually kind of weird in light of the fact that I wear the same. thing. every. day. Jeans and white t-shirt in warm weather and jeans and long-sleeved black waffle knit in cold. Every. damn. day. Mainly because A. I'm lazy, and B. I just don't give a flying flip about clothes.

I don't think dressing kids alike is a big deal. I have 3 daughters all born within 4 years, and I often dressed them alike or in similar clothes (think Gymboree lines) when they were small. I thought it was cute, but to each their own.

I also dressed my kids alike or coordinating for the annual Christmas card. Last year I decided they were "too big" to dress alike, so I didn't buy matching outfits. They got mad at me! They said it was part of the "tradition" lol. I didn't buy coordinating outfits, but thought it was funny that they cared. Different Strokes for different folks.

FWIW, I think dressing alike for older children and adults on a daily basis is odd.

Couples dressing alike is really stupid, IMO. My aunt and uncle used to be RVers and she would buy them matching shirts at every touristy site they went to and force my uncle to dress to match her. They just looked obnoxious. I also had a friend in college who was obsessed with having clothes to match her boyfriend of the moment's clothes. She explained to us all the time that matching clothes is part of being in a real, serious relationship. Funnily enough, she married someone who thinks it is stupid and would never participate.

Dumbest couple clothes I've ever seen: At Mt. Rushmore this Memorial Day weekend we saw a young couple with t-shirts in a matching color. The husband's shirt said "HERS" and the wife's shirt said "HIS". My husband and I sort of wanted to vomit.

First of all, sweater vests? Really?

But I have to disagree completely with anyone who thinks matchy-matchy is cute on young children. It isn't; it's creepy and cult-like. Children are still individuals and should be treated as such. And that goes especially for twins. Sometimes kids truly want to dress alike and that's fine, but it should never be even at the suggestion of parents.

I have an uncle whose three adult daughters are in their 40s. The daughters are all married. They all dress alike for pictures and for vacations. They went to Spain a few years back during the running of the bulls and they wore matching t-shirts and white pants.

Most people wear white pants to the running of the bulls. And white shirts, too.

My best friend and I work at the same office. Everyone knows that we've been close since high school. Often, I show up and she is wearing something VERY similar to me, either in color or style. This happens a lot on staff meeting, training, or luncheon days so everyone notices it and we've been asked if we coordinate. We have actually begun texting eachother those mornings to ensure we do not match, lol.

My now dead sister in law and I would end up wearing the same outfit relatively often, without coordinating or planning to. Toss in that I was plus size and she was not and it was pretty odd. I suspect it means that the two brothers we married selected women with similar traits and taste-- but it was pretty funny sometimes. We were on a vacation once together and realized we had brought more or less the same clothing items, so we ended up talking at night to make sure we didn't end up in matching outfits the next day.

The only time I dress the lil' Bones in matching outfits are when we go to the beach. It is much easier to make sure of where they are and keep on eye on them if they are in the same colors/ swim shirt and suit.

I think my husband would vomit if I suggested we wear matching outfits on purpose.

The only time I dress the lil' Bones in matching outfits are when we go to the beach. It is much easier to make sure of where they are and keep on eye on them if they are in the same colors/ swim shirt and suit.

I think my husband would vomit if I suggested we wear matching outfits on purpose.

I tried dressing my kids in matching t-shirts and my then-3 yr old wasn't having it. He DID NOT want to wear the same shirt as his brother. Gosh, these poor Gothardite kids, getting their spirits crushed every which way.

Most people wear white pants to the running of the bulls. And white shirts, too.

They didn't wear white shirts. They wore red shirts with bulls on them and the caption ______ Family Trip 2010.

My parents never put any of us in matching clothing and I'm glad about that.

I think it's maybe okay for official family photographs. I actually really like the blue-green Bates picture :embarrassed: (I mean at least the oldest children just wear matching colors...)

But everyday is a huge no-no. Not even the same shirt-like Anna and her mom in the engagement episode. That's just plain creepy.

A few years ago, my siblings and I (there are 4 of us total) got matching holiday sweaters and took a picture with Santa. We had a big print of this made and got a gaudy frame and gave it to my parents for a joke Christmas present. My Dad was thrilled with it, and hung it over the mantle in his office. But we knew it was a joke, and would never do this in seriousness.

That reminds me of the Xmas card the Green Bay Packer tight ends did a couple of years ago:

TE.Packers.Christmas.Card_.2011-720x372.jpg

Archived