IGNORED

Families dressing alike

IReallyAmHopewell

thewilkesteam.com/2013/06/16/happy-fathers-day/ Broke the link just add in the dots and slashes.

4th picture down in the post--GROWN sons dressing alike????? Just NO.

Even overly done family portrait clothes creep me out, but this group would be awful if they were all under age 10--but in their 20s? :pink-shock:

I have an uncle whose three adult daughters are in their 40s. The daughters are all married. They all dress alike for pictures and for vacations. They went to Spain a few years back during the running of the bulls and they wore matching t-shirts and white pants.

I find it creepy when families dress alike. Its cute on small children for family photos, but not on adults or all the time.

I find it creepy when families dress alike. Its cute on small children for family photos, but not on adults or all the time.

I have seen some pictures of couples with young children dress who dress alike for portraits and it looks cute. But I think once the kids are teens or adults, it does look creepy. I mentioned my uncle and his family in a previous post. Some of their pics creep me out. I forgot to add in my previous post, that the matching shirts in Spain were custom made. They also had other custom made shirts for the other days they were there. They are now planning to go to Hawaii next year. I'm prepared for the matching Hawaii shirt pic pictures.

Once my ex husband and daughter went to the store. We didn't realize that we were both wearing jeans and a red tshirt. We thought it was pretty dorky and then looked down at our daughter who ALSO was wearing jeans and a red shirt.

It was a look I do not wish to replicate.

The only time it works for me is when it's simple dressing alike. Like everyone in a white t-shirt and khakis or similar.

A few years ago, my siblings and I (there are 4 of us total) got matching holiday sweaters and took a picture with Santa. We had a big print of this made and got a gaudy frame and gave it to my parents for a joke Christmas present. My Dad was thrilled with it, and hung it over the mantle in his office. But we knew it was a joke, and would never do this in seriousness.

My husbands family did this for many years. The pictures are hilarious! He just shudders when I remind him. Lucky for him they stopped that when he was around 9. His older brothers and sister weren't so lucky...

Creepy and even creepier when the daughters in law join in

I will admit to liking the seven sisters matchy-matchy thing. I like that they use the same material but all make slightly different dresses. Very "Sound of Music".

Random family shots look ... Random. It is nice to have an occasion family portrait where you look like a family. Our approach is usually to say mostly green or mostly black but in your own style. (This has led to several photos where Son2 has hair the nominated colour.) I find it works well to make teens part of a family shot without loosing to much individuality.

I once dressed like the guy who came to fix the fax machine and copier. We both wore grey pants, a white button down and navy crewneck sweater, with docksider shoes- it was back in the preppy days.

very embarrassing!

Reminds me of the Maxwell "children". No individuality, no personal style. Just a half dozen robots doing exactly as mommy and daddy tell them :pull-hair:

Reminds me of the Maxwell "children". No individuality, no personal style. Just a half dozen robots doing exactly as mommy and daddy tell them :pull-hair:

They even have an unmarried daughter named Sarah :think:

I think it cute if just to be for a family photograph. My mother make us do this some times, at our ages 24, 25 and 27. My father and brothers fight it every time but she scream louder than them, so they do it. :lol:

I like the father in this family, he look sweet.

For Christmas, our whole extended family showed up to surprise my grandma and we had a family portrait session. One of my aunts wanted every single one of us (we are talking 16 of us, all of the grandkids in their 20's and 30's) to wear black pants, white shirts, and Christmas scarves. I sent her a link to awkwardfamilyphoto.com and suggested we stick to a color palette. Thank god because a)we are too old to do that and b) it is damn creepy to dress all alike if you're over the age of 5.

The only time it works for me is when it's simple dressing alike. Like everyone in a white t-shirt and khakis or similar.

A few years ago, my siblings and I (there are 4 of us total) got matching holiday sweaters and took a picture with Santa. We had a big print of this made and got a gaudy frame and gave it to my parents for a joke Christmas present. My Dad was thrilled with it, and hung it over the mantle in his office. But we knew it was a joke, and would never do this in seriousness.

True on the first and I like the second!

I like to coordinate (like yes, if my daughter's Christmas dress is red or green, I'm probably wearing a sweater the other color) but overly matchy is a bit much.

I was reading the 'FATHER' description in the Father's Day post on the Wilkes website. Um, what exactly is a 'Reaper of Righteousness'? It sounds like a fancy title for someone who is controlling and abusive, words taken from Biblical text and twisted.

I was reading the 'FATHER' description in the Father's Day post on the Wilkes website. Um, what exactly is a 'Reaper of Righteousness'? It sounds like a fancy title for someone who is controlling and abusive, words taken from Biblical text and twisted.

Gothard fans misapplying Biblical text? Surely you jest.

The idea of matching a whole family (or even young children for that matter) just creeps me out but compared to the Maxwell or Bates family's portraits, the Wilkes mob pic isn't all that bad. The worst thing has got to be those argyle vests-and the fact that even their married sons own clothes to match the rest of the family .(And going by pictures on other blogs, choose to wear them as a regular part of their wardrobes.)

My daughter would love that. I do a lot of dressmaking and she'll often see me making something for myself and ask for one in exactly the same fabric for her (or vice versa). I'll be going 'noooooo! Occasionally I'll make something for myself and there's enough fabric left over for something for her, but I will always make the garment for my daughter in a different style. A few years ago I was looking on the Lydia of purple site, when we were back on yuku and a couple of the Sabin boys turned up to shit on the carpet. Anyway my daughter saw the mother and daughter look a-like dresses and begged me to make them! Just NO! In her defence she was only six at the time.

Thankfully the only dressed alike family photos are of my siblings and I and in our defence it is school uniform. No choice.

I find it personally tasteless. But to each their own. I could be persuaded about an agreed palette, but that would be it.

No way in hell am I going to agree with matching outfits for a family portrait. I honestly think they're tacky.

Kids are cute enough already, matching clothes or cutesy themes do not make them cuter (and too often detracts from their natural appeal). Adults have their own personalities, tastes, and desires, and wiping out those differences with a bland, and often cheap and ugly, uniform erases the visual differences that make them distinct and interesting individuals. Plus, what looks good on one family member might be horribly unflattering on another, and in a family photo I think everyone should get the chance to look good.

I don't know. Sometimes my grandparents will wear the same shirt, or coordinate, and I think they're adorable. But that might partially be because I adore them. :)

I get pictures done every 6 months of my daughters. We're coming up on the 6 month pictures and my big girl just asked why don't I dress them alike this time. I have never done it before but since I usually let her decide what she wants to wear, we may go for it. She's 5, though.

I had pictures done of us a couple years ago and we are all wearing shades of gray and black. But all different outfits. That's the kind of matching I like to do.

Archived