IGNORED

Carolyn Mahaney

debrand

This is a depressing quote. I realize that the family are Calvinist but this sounds extreme and sad.

My mom spent many a late night helping us to work through our sin, only to wake up early the next morning to start that process all over again."

Carolyn Mahaney's Daughter

thewartburgwatch.com/2012/02/20/the-mahaney-girls-on-the-topic-of-sin/

I hesitate to ask what kids-even teenagers- could be doing that would cause their mother to have to spend so much time working on her children's faults. It sounds horrible. Does this mean that she kept her kids up late working on their 'sins' or did she stay up late and tell them about her sacrifice in the morning?

She was the first to bring correction and the first to bring encouragement and to point out change. She loved us unconditionally despite our many sins and weaknesses, and this faithful mothering won the hearts of her daughters…"

I love my kids because they are my kids, not inspite of their faults. Like their father and me, they have faults. Those faults have no influence on my love for them.

If they're Calvinist, it doesn't matter what the kids do, they're sinners. It turns into a handy excuse to combat any childish behaviour traits though, since every natural behaviour = sinful nature = sin (unless, of course, it is convenient and then it's all "fearfully and wonderfully made"). So, baby not sleeping tthrough the night, toddler with separation anxiety/9 year old independence /teenager in a bad mood? Sin, sin, sin and you need to teach them not to as quickly as possible. There is no such thong as age appropriate behaviour that the we y will eventually grow out of all on their own, children need be encouraged (but less carrot and more stick) to flee from sin. Otherwise their human nature will take hold, and 'natural man' just loves to sin.

How depressing to go through life with this belief system. How even more depressing to continually bring sinful child after sinful child into this world and have to 'correct' them every second of every day.

If they're Calvinist, it doesn't matter what the kids do, they're sinners. It turns into a handy excuse to combat any childish behaviour traits though, since every natural behaviour = sinful nature = sin (unless, of course, it is convenient and then it's all "fearfully and wonderfully made"). So, baby not sleeping tthrough the night, toddler with separation anxiety/9 year old independence /teenager in a bad mood? Sin, sin, sin and you need to teach them not to as quickly as possible. There is no such thong as age appropriate behaviour that the we y will eventually grow out of all on their own, children need be encouraged (but less carrot and more stick) to flee from sin. Otherwise their human nature will take hold, and 'natural man' just loves to sin.

When I was a Christian, I debated Calvinists online and found them a smug lot who were overly proud of their own intelligence. They usually argued in circles and never really addressed any counter issues that others brought up. They had their script and set verses and would not even acknowledge other arguments. One frustrating/borderline humorous trait was their calling every other opinion emotionalism. Being emotional meant that the Calvinist could dismiss your entire argument. They are a frustrating lot.

However, until this site, I did not realize how many Calvinists are also fundamentalists. Most would say that they believe that they are saved by grace but they seem desperate to prove their salvation.

It would be a very depressing way to be brought up and a depressing way to view kids.

It's always sad to see abuse victims rationalize their abusers' actions as love.

THIS.

Looking back, I don't think I viewed problems that I had with my kids as due to their "faults," much less being a question of SIN. I could see they had some areas that needed attention for them to become successful, happy adults. And we didn't always agree on what those areas were! But I considered each of them a good human being with many strengths, not a flawed creature riddled with sin, with whom I must fearfully struggle lest they go to Hell. I think the very idea that your parents think you might possibly end up with sin-fail for all eternity is abusive. It causes a fear and self-doubt that isn't healthy for a child.

With Calvinists, everything is a result of sin. They tend to be very anti-psychology. Depressed? Just read the Bible more. :angry-banghead:

Is this Mahaney related (daughter?) to CJ Mahaney , the one over Soverign Grace Ministries? If so, this is EVEN SICKER when you know that group hiding the sins of grown men, NOT spending all night or any time at all making them accountable. And if she is his daughter, kids associated with group he created are the easiest group of kids to abuse, ever, due to this kind of teaching on authority and sin.

Is this Mahaney related (daughter?) to CJ Mahaney , the one over Soverign Grace Ministries? If so, this is EVEN SICKER when you know that group hiding the sins of grown men, NOT spending all night or any time at all making them accountable. And if she is his daughter, kids associated with group he created are the easiest group of kids to abuse, ever, due to this kind of teaching on authority and sin.

Yep, it is his daughter. I agree it is sick. He held little children accountable for their sins but not grown men

Archived