IGNORED

Common knowledge that might not be common for fundies

browngrl

:lol:

I thought it was PMT!!! I must be so out of touch.

Pre-menstrual Trauma? :twisted:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pmt = pre menstrual tension, it's the term I was taught at school and so was my daughter. Pms we heard in the media but it was never a term used in our science or development classes. We were also taught that it occurs in the week leading up to bleeding and is caused by a massive drop in one hormone but i can't remember which. Some people get mood swings, some people get hot flushes and/or very cold and some, like me, get severe migraines.

Okay, I can truthfully say that I've never once met a man who wasn't aware that women are capable of and do perform the same bodily excretory functions that men do (at least when it comes to voiding the bladder and bowels). I can honestly say that I have learned something new on Free Jinger this week! :P

I think this is appropriate for this thread:

-xFaJUZRkQM

A corollary: I've met grown men who think women pee and poop through the vag.

I had to educate my last two boyfriends about how women urinate. Both men are highly educated men in their 50's who were previously married, and both thought woman urine exits through the clitoris!

PMS (pre-menstrual syndrome) is the American expression; PMT (pre-menstrual tension) is the UK one.

I am sitting here in ecstasy that PMS (my pre-menstrual depression was so bad I went on Prozac) and menstruation (mine got so bad I had an endometrial ablation when I was 45) are things of the distant past. Being 60 has its distinct advantages!

PMS (pre-menstrual syndrome) is the American expression; PMT (pre-menstrual tension) is the UK one.

I am sitting here in ecstasy that PMS (my pre-menstrual depression was so bad I went on Prozac) and menstruation (mine got so bad I had an endometrial ablation when I was 45) are things of the distant past. Being 60 has its distinct advantages!

Thank you for clearing that up. I'm in Australia so it makes sense that we are using the UK term. I write off 2-3 days every month, knowing I will have migraines that even the best medication can't control. I am grateful though that I have a regular cycle and can predict months ahead when these days will occur and plan work & family life around it. It was a bit of a learning curve for hubby when we first married. He knew all the text book biology but had grown up in a house of boys so didn't know the reality. It took him a few months to understand that when I said "I am going to bed for three days. Don't speak to me. Don't touch me. Sleep somewhere else." I was serious! He understands now. Lol.

Common knowledge that might not be common for fundies:

Evolution, like other scientific theories, is a theory, not a fact. A scientific theory is a proposition that is supported by evidence and has not been disproved. It is not any idea that somebody pulls out of their ass.

Can't resist, although it wasn't fundie, joining in the other discussion. A friend of mine, who had never seen a man naked, got the "facts of life" briefly from her '50s parents. She asked what if the man went to the bathroom inside you and was told that there was something else for that. Her first day of art school they had a male model and she asked what happened to his other penis.

as far as i know most of the fundie guys i knew in my younger days had no clue about PMS or menstruation until they got married. This can be pegged to homeschool books that have inadequate biological info and zero sex ed. most of them do not even know the biological terms for their private parts. I have no idea what the married people refer to their parts as (my fundie mom does not know what a foreskin is; when she asked i was like "ummm mom maybe you could check the dictionary?!")

I have a guy friend who was totally convinced that if a woman grows pubic hair, the clitoris gets smaller. It's not just hidden, it shrinks. Not that he actually has any basis for this knowledge, it's just something he heard from his loser buddies. Um, do they even bother to look?

Who are the most that don't? I wanna find them and KEEEEEEEELLLL them :lol:

:::warily raises hand:::

I've never had PMS, never had any "female problems" at all except a few days of mild cramps when I was a teenager. Just lucky, I guess. Please don't kill me. ;)

This thread is mind boggling! My parents weren't big on passing on the info, but I always knew how to look things up. Despite what the library posters claimed, reading is apparently not fundiemental.

I've never had PMS, never had any "female problems" at all except a few days of mild cramps when I was a teenager. Just lucky, I guess. Please don't kill me. ;)

This thread is mind boggling! My parents weren't big on passing on the info, but I always knew how to look things up. Despite what the library posters claimed, reading is apparently not fundiemental.

:think: OH ok then :lol:

I have to say though speaking for myself it was not every single month for 30 years. Sometimes not an issue others awful :( My two sisters were the same as are my two nieces, I really hope my daughter misses that familial trend, poor wee chickadee :( Send her some of your positive hormones please :)

I have a guy friend who was totally convinced that if a woman grows pubic hair, the clitoris gets smaller. It's not just hidden, it shrinks. Not that he actually has any basis for this knowledge, it's just something he heard from his loser buddies. Um, do they even bother to look?

:shock:

Jesus Christ on a Klondike bar, this is one rabbit hole from which I may never emerge.

I'm sorry, dear, but everyone hates you now. :lol:

My mother was like that... according to her she never really got PMS OR cramps. My sister and I both get pretty bad PMS and really bad cramps, my sister worse than me... she's thrown up or passed out from the cramps and was put on prescription pain killers. I finally learned in my early 20s that it was best to pop an extra strength advil as soon as my period started instead of waiting for the excruciating pain to kick in, and now that time of the month is much easier to handle. ;)

I don't understand how boys, even fundie boys, can live in a house full of sisters and have no idea what menstruation is by the time they're adults. And I wonder how many fundie couples eventually figure out the clitoris and, er, make use of it.

I read somewhere that a lot of fundy guys don't know women have pubic hair/underarm hair/leg hair and are shocked on their wedding night.

Someone needs to get these people a copy of The Joy of Sex from the 70s. Those were some hairy ladies and gentlemen.

PMS, as a kind of medical condition is unheard of in France... :cry:

The first time I heard of it was on American websites, it must exists I guess, but it's not acknowledged.

That's weird, I don't really understand how it is possible but nobody recognize that women can be cranky at this time of the month.

Of course some women experience painful cramps, headaches and so during their periods, but I have never heard of something occurring before the periods start.

So , I don't think in France you will find a lot of guys knowing about it, since it's unheard of... Strange how cultural differences are...

PMS, as a kind of medical condition is unheard of in France... :cry:

The first time I heard of it was on American websites, it must exists I guess, but it's not acknowledged.

That's weird, I don't really understand how it is possible but nobody recognize that women can be cranky at this time of the month.

Of course some women experience painful cramps, headaches and so during their periods, but I have never heard of something occurring before the periods start.

So , I don't think in France you will find a lot of guys knowing about it, since it's unheard of... Strange how cultural differences are...

My headaches have always occurred before menstruation begins. I never have any problems once it starts. It's the "Pre" part of PMS that it the clue = it happens before.

Way off topic now but ... Very interesting about France. How open are the French when it comes to talking about bodily functions? Is it just that they never discuss these thing? I know the French have a reputation as being very sexy/sexual but I have always wondered how true this really is. It doesn't match up with being a mostly Catholic country.

My headaches have always occurred before menstruation begins. I never have any problems once it starts. It's the "Pre" part of PMS that it the clue = it happens before.

Way off topic now but ... Very interesting about France. How open are the French when it comes to talking about bodily functions? Is it just that they never discuss these thing? I know the French have a reputation as being very sexy/sexual but I have always wondered how true this really is. It doesn't match up with being a mostly Catholic country.

We have different approach than Americans/English people...

For example, what is private is private in France. It's looked down to speak about someone else sex life or love affairs. We don't care about it, we were extremely surprised by the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal because it couldn't occur here, people are not interested.

The Strauss-Kahn/Diallo scandal was different because it was a case of rape, which is a crime and not at all a love affair...

About being a Catholic country, we are a very, very secular country and the Catholic church has lost a lot of its power after the Revolution and during the whole 19th century. We end up with the 1905 law, which institutionalized the separation between state and church, so I wouldn't say we are a religious country anymore...

I think we are quite laid back about love/sex, and we have a long story of broad jokes and so on, but we don't talk very openly about bodily function, in that matter we are different than Anglo-Saxons people.

My mom (not a fundy) believes that women's breasts get bigger when they "let men/boys play with them." (her words)

My mom (not a fundy) believes that women's breasts get bigger when they "let men/boys play with them." (her words)

As far as I know, women shouldn't really have cramps before their periods start. (Migraines and mood changes are something else.) When I got my tubes tied, the doctors told me they'd found endometrial cysts and lasered them off while they were in there. My cramps went away for 10 years. (They are back now. So sad...) When I mentioned that my pre-period cramps had completely gone away, I was told that they had been caused by endometriosis, and poking around in Google confirmed that.

No one had ever mentioned that pre-period cramps were abnormal, and it had never occurred to me that they were. I'd also never heard of endometriosis, which apparently > 10% of all American women have. I had thought I had a pretty decent sex ed, but this was entirely new to me.

tl;dr: Pre-period cramps are bad, and if your period is causing you major distress, ask your Dr about endometriosis.

We have different approach than Americans/English people...

For example, what is private is private in France. It's looked down to speak about someone else sex life or love affairs. We don't care about it, we were extremely surprised by the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal because it couldn't occur here, people are not interested.

The Strauss-Kahn/Diallo scandal was different because it was a case of rape, which is a crime and not at all a love affair...

About being a Catholic country, we are a very, very secular country and the Catholic church has lost a lot of its power after the Revolution and during the whole 19th century. We end up with the 1905 law, which institutionalized the separation between state and church, so I wouldn't say we are a religious country anymore...

I think we are quite laid back about love/sex, and we have a long story of broad jokes and so on, but we don't talk very openly about bodily function, in that matter we are different than Anglo-Saxons people.

Thank you for your answer. I knew there was separation of church and state but I thought most people were Catholic and that this would influence culture.

Your description of France sounds very inviting. I like the idea of private being private and not of interest to others. (Personally, I don't care if all our politicians have affairs as long as it doesn't affect their jobs.)

Cramps were always the sign my period was about to start. Of course I also had them during, but for 20 years of periods I've always had them beforehand, too. No endometriosis as far as I know.

I have a physician friend who once worked for an NGO in a sexually conservative non-Christian society. She pretty routinely had patients come to her fretting because they'd been married six months, a year, two years, and they were not yet pregnant. After talking with them it turns out they weren't having sex, or the sex they were having wasn't of the procreative kind. Some couples were engaging in anal intercourse. Some believed that simply sleeping in the same bed as their spouse would result in pregnancy. Other couples had intercourse once, waited to see if menstruation started, had intercourse again, waited another month to see if a pregnancy resulted, etc. She said she spent a lot face time with her patients teaching them the level of reproductive biology the typical 12-year-old American kid has. :?

And then there was the woman who thought she was ill because she got a period. It turns out she thought menstruation was a one-time event marking one's entry to womanhood. She's been pregnant or nursing since she was 12 or 13 and was in her mid-thirties before she menstruated after that first time. She was convinced she had cancer or that her reproductive system had gone haywire.

Archived