IGNORED

Lori Alexander says Jesus was masculine

I read an article about how the portrayal of Jesus as an uber-masculine guy is a pretty recent phenomenon. It began because, as in many religions, most church-goers and active participants in Christianity are women, and church leaders were afraid that the gentle "turn the other cheek" Jesus was driving away teh menz.

A masculine/heroic portrayal of Christ was used in Anglo-Saxon poetry (The Dream of the Rood) as a conversion tool, since a passive Jesus wasn't particularly attractive to the manly Germanic warrior types. :). So, in the poem Jesus heroically climbs up on the cross, and his suffering is described in terms of doing battle.

It's an interesting parallel to these recent portrayals that are likely aimed at teh wimmenz.

But he would have looked like a bad-ass. As a Nazarene, he would have had dreads and an untrimmed beard. Probably rail-thin with crazy eyes after wandering in the wilderness for over a month. In short, nothing at all like the blue-eyed metrosexual Jesus whose image dominated the sanctuary in the church of my childhood. I don't think Lori would have found the real Jesus very hot at all.

Everyone knows Jesus was blond and blue-eyed and had a fair complexion that needed no sunscreen in the desert.

Blonde-Jesus-250x227.jpg

I have actually seen a fundie argue on-line that Jesus probably did look like this because he was only 1/2 Jewish. I guess God's genes are Anglo Saxon? Or perhaps Scandinavian?

I have actually seen a fundie argue on-line that Jesus probably did look like this because he was only 1/2 Jewish. I guess God's genes are Anglo Saxon? Or perhaps Scandinavian?

I can't stop laughing. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Everyone knows Jesus was blond and blue-eyed and had a fair complexion that needed no sunscreen in the desert.

Blonde-Jesus-250x227.jpg

You'd think if Jesus was 6 shades lighter then the rests of the population it'd be mentioned in the Bible a couple times at least.

Archived