IGNORED

Speaking of fat shaming

salex

During this same conversation, my husband brought up an interesting point. His thoughts were that sometimes women are a lot harsher on other women's physique than men were. He thought it was interesting that so many women insist that men love super-thin women.

He is quite right. Women are the first to oppress other women insidiously. We need to read "The beauty Myth", I can't remember me the author. This is a very important book in the history of feminism, and indispensable.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me find a woman who looks like that with that body (wink, wink)

I'd almost kill to have a woman of that caliber.

What the hell is wrong with some people :roll:

She's lovely, looks completely healthy and, more importantly, she looks happy.

I'm just not seeing the issue here I guess.

I had a friend who was a cheerleader in college, and they didn't have official weight limits (although they might have been judged on their size during tryouts visually), but they did have a rule that you couldn't change your weight more than 10 lbs in either direction because then your uniform--which was tailored for you--would have to be redone. So it's entirely possible that they don't want her to lose weight.

Cheerleading squads have weight limits because of doing lifts.

Yes, and that makes sense. But there doesn't seem to have been any suggestion that she was over the squad's weight limit (which would have been an issue for the squad's choreographer and director to take up with her, not a sports blog), just that "some people" were talking about her looks.

I had a friend who was a cheerleader in college, and they didn't have official weight limits (although they might have been judged on their size during tryouts visually), but they did have a rule that you couldn't change your weight more than 10 lbs in either direction because then your uniform--which was tailored for you--would have to be redone. So it's entirely possible that they don't want her to lose weight.

Right there with you professional uniforms like those are almost always custom made my sister did competitive dance and all costumes were sewed to fit them so if you gained or lost weight you were in trouble.

It seems to me that today's perfect woman is an anorexic with boob implants.

Apparently so. For some reason, the female form is scorned. I would be very happy to have the figure of that cheerleader. She does not look anything other than healthy and normal. Where are the "pudgy" parts?

Apparently so. For some reason, the female form is scorned. I would be very happy to have the figure of that cheerleader. She does not look anything other than healthy and normal. Where are the "pudgy" parts?

My friend who has a rather large chest size hates it she hates the way guys stare no matter what she is wearing of how much she is covered they look large. Poor girl made a list of girls on a college gossip site for having the best biggest boobs on campus and people were asking what size she was, if they were real,etc. She let it roll of her back though and is like I don't understand how people want big boobs because they aren't comfortable and her back hurts.

It depends. I am 5'7-5'8" and 140 lbs, but my ribs stick out and I'm pretty bony looking in general. I have hypermobility syndrome/Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and most people with EDS have Marfan-esque bodies for some reason.

If you have to starve yourself in order for bones to show, then no, it's not healthy.

Wait, we have two EDSers on the board? FRIEND!

Srsly, I'm bony all the time. You can always see collarbones and ribs and the tops of my hips. I have serious issues keeping weight on, so I really hate "bones = NASTY" comments in defense of other women who aren't bony. I'm pretty, too, guys. It's not my fault society has fucked up standards.

tl;dr - Bodies are bodies. Fat shaming is bad, but you don't fight it by telling me I'm gross.

She looks gorgeous and happy. If she's good at her job, who the hell cares? Society is entirely too obsessed with an image of "perfection" that very few humans can actually attain.

Wait, we have two EDSers on the board? FRIEND!

Srsly, I'm bony all the time. You can always see collarbones and ribs and the tops of my hips. I have serious issues keeping weight on, so I really hate "bones = NASTY" comments in defense of other women who aren't bony. I'm pretty, too, guys. It's not my fault society has fucked up standards.

tl;dr - Bodies are bodies. Fat shaming is bad, but you don't fight it by telling me I'm gross.

I'd give anything not to have it. My knees hurt me sooooo much and I have early onset osteoarthritis. Sure, the party tricks I did was a child were fun, but I didn't know it would contribute to joint degeneration.

Yeah, I'm bony and ridiculously pale with thin skin that bruises easily :/

I'd give anything not to have it. My knees hurt me sooooo much and I have early onset osteoarthritis. Sure, the party tricks I did was a child were fun, but I didn't know it would contribute to joint degeneration.

Yeah, I'm bony and ridiculously pale with thin skin that bruises easily :/

My joints are a mess. I get so angry when I think of all the doctors who watched me show off my cool, stretchy joints without a second thought.

I also am haunting the place and every time I go to a new doctor or the ER, I get questioned mercilessly about domestic abuse. I tried fake tans, but they don't take right on my skin.

I wouldn't call her "pudgy" at all! She may not be stick thin, but she is pretty well toned. Pudgy to me means that she would have fat popping out and muffin top going on, which is not the case.

I find it refreshing though to see a cheerleader where you can't see the outline of her ribs.

I think she looks incredible... and active and happy. Who said something about being jealous? Because I'm guilty!

But I do think she could afford to lose a few pounds, if she wanted. I think we've become skewed upwards about weight that we see someone with more fat in her cells than her body needs and we think that's a slender weight.

I first noticed that from watching Survivor, of all things. I'd see contestants who looked at a normal weight to me and by the end of the month, they looked "better". You could see muscle definition and cheekbones. Then at the reunion show several months later they had put the ten pounds or so back on and they looked lightly padded.

Should anyone care about light padding?? Heck no, not if they don't want to. But it made me realize that my weight goal was probably higher than it really should be.

(P.S. I'm not talking about the Survivor contestants who started off skinny and ended up at alarming.)

Ten years ago, I made it to the final cut (down to the last 40) during cheerleader tryouts for a NFL team. Yes, there are weight requirements based on your height and there are waist and hip measurements that you must comply with. They claim it's because of the fit of the uniforms, but there's a handy little chart the coaches used.

The cheer coaches did a "makeover day" for the finalists and told us exactly what they were looking for with hair and makeup. Specifically I remember these "tips" for everyone:

- pouty glossy lips and smoky eyes

- hair left down and not pulled back from the face ("we want you to be able to toss your hair around freely while performing")

- encouraged those whose hair was shorter than shoulder length to get extensions

- highlights and spray tans for everyone!

- whitestrips or professional teeth whitening, as much as we could do before finals day

I think the girl in the pic looks healthy, happy, and beautiful.

Also, NFL/NBA cheerleaders are not technical cheerleaders. They do random 8 count chants with pop poms, halftime dances, and short 32 count "commercial break" or "time out" dances timed to the music played overhead. No stunts, jumps, tumbling, etc.

What say you, jingerites?

She's gorgeous and curvy. I wish I had her figure. In the meantime, I'm sure there's a lot of guys in the crowd wishing they had her phone number. ;-)

She's not willowy the way that the media says skinny women should be, but she's by no means pudgy. She's well toned.

If this is a repeat, I apologize, I've tried and I believe failed, to post this a time or two before.

While some people are complaining about an extra inch or so on some women, others are complaining because of too few inches on other women's middles.

Denise RichardsDenise-Richards-Skinny.jpg is being called too skinny. While being too thin can be a health issue, as can being too heavy, it strikes me as a bit ridiculous that there seems to be only a tiny area of acceptable size/weight based wholly on looks and no other factor.

If this is a repeat, I apologize, I've tried and I believe failed, to post this a time or two before.

While some people are complaining about an extra inch or so on some women, others are complaining because of too few inches on other women's middles.

Denise RichardsDenise-Richards-Skinny.jpg is being called too skinny. While being too thin can be a health issue, as can being too heavy, it strikes me as a bit ridiculous that there seems to be only a tiny area of acceptable size/weight based wholly on looks and no other factor.

So can being too fat but depending on who you are speaking with, conversation about these topics tend to be shut done by calling someone a "fat shamer" or "pro-ana." (which can also be called a "though-stopping cliche")

Nobody can diagnose anyone else's health by looking at them and guessing their body mass. All that tells you is the amount of weight they displace in Earth gravity. Body policing is ridiculous.

And I just realized that I am unable to actually read everything I replied to. Sorry salex - I just noticed that you did say "as well as too heavy."

I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for this, but just based on that picture, I would probably define her slightly chubby-ish - however, my definition of chubby involves resemblance to adorable babies who are ridiculously huggable.

Does that make sense?

That said, she really is completely gorgeous, and I am jealous; I'd practically kill to be that confident about my body.

Archived