IGNORED

Maxwell Children Art Class

johnhugh

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Dave the illustrator of the Moody books? Because I remember years ago Sarah referring to some "sweet girl" who illustrated for her (IIRC). But it would make sense that they would want to keep that job in the family if they could so you're probably onto something, there, Bethella.

And I just got to thinking -- I wonder if the Maxwells ever attend weddings that aren't people in their family? Like would they have attended the wedding of Dave and Liz?

Maybe they're working on their own set of Titanic paper dolls.

Wait - that's not manly enough.

But I'm surprised they're okay with Joseph drawing at all, really. There have been wimmen artists, Steve!

What a depressing life.

Sarah's pretty much given up on getting married.

virtuousgirlhood.com/2012/04/interview-saturday-sarah-maxwell/

You see, if she were married she wouldn't be able to continue to write boring ass children's books and run her parents' business for them, which is what God really wants her to do. Poor Sarah indeed.

That picture of her, in the blue sweater, just shows how frail she is. :( I like the sweater, though.

But that paragraph about how she wanted to be married? Seriously one of the saddest things ever.

That picture of her, in the blue sweater, just shows how frail she is. :( I like the sweater, though.

But that paragraph about how she wanted to be married? Seriously one of the saddest things ever.

Wow! That is such a depressing interview! I mean, I don't think learning to be content is a bad thing at all. Always striving for something else and wanting something I don't have already, has led me to be depressed at times. But poor Sarah, there's a point where contentment is no longer going to cut it. This whole family is so lost.

Edited because I'm apparently sucking at quoting posters properly tonight :(

But the Maxwells do have a few artist followers. One has commented that he runs life drawing classes. :lol:

Hmmm, I have a feeling I know who posted that. Well done Mr. Hugh, uh, I mean, Davey.

Wow! That is such a depressing interview! I mean, I don't think learning to be content is a bad thing at all. Always striving for something else and wanting something I don't have already, has led me to be depressed at times. But poor Sarah, there's a point where contentment is no longer going to cut it. This whole family is so lost.

Edited because I'm apparently sucking at quoting posters properly tonight :(

Did anyone else get the feeling that her parents "asked" her to write the books to try and distract her from focusing on getting married? I wouldn't be at all surprised if they never intended to let her marry.

I also laughed at her mention of "book deadlines". Seriously? Like she has a contract with a publisher or something. :evil-eye:

They "asked" her to keep her busy. She's not allowed to have an actual job or go to collage. Her sisters were coming of age to take over the cabinet polishing duties.

I wonder if Teri worries about her kids inheriting her depressive disorder?

I'm sure she figures they could will themselves out of it just like she did.

I would be suprised if Sarah manages to go her whole life without being depressed, given the kind of crappy life she has.

OK, Canadian FJ-ites--your prayers (or greatest fears) have been answered! The Maxwells will be in Steinbach, Manitoba, on May 10th and 11th! Take those frumpers out of the attic, put on your tennis shoes, and go be blessed by Steve THE LORD.

And help Sarah escape while you're at it.

Edited for riffles. I used to be good at spelling, honest. I blame Satan, and/or Doug Phillips, who is a tool.

I just saw that! It's about an hour from me.........But with my work schedule it doesn't work out for me to go. So.......I'll be asking around to see if anyone I know would be interested. I know a few 30+ bachelors I'm REALLY tempted to encourage to go. Okay, one of them it'd be JUST to get him interested in the pretty Sarah, who's also a never-married and wants kids. (unlike me, a childless 40+-year-old widow with medical issues that'd make me being pregnant risky at best)

Anyone else from that area? Hey, know what? There's a Bible college in Steinbach. I just checked to see if they would, by chance, hold their meetings there. Then the truth would come out........I worked one summer at a camp where the current president of that college was then director. I wonder if I could find him on Facebook.

Time to start praying for my dear Mennonite relatives in Steinbach and surrounding. And any of their kids who may be students at the college. Goosebumps........ :sleeping: :D :shock: :lol: :?

Oh man, it would be so amazing if a "sister" came with a dozen or so studly brothers! I wonder how close Stevie would let them come to his girl children!?

May your trip to Steinbach be fruitful!!!! :)

Is there an illustrator byline on the Moody books so far? I'd be surprised if it turned out to be Dave. An author and an illustrator often have to work together, at least exchanging e-mails or phone calls. Couldn't have Sarah doing that, unless Liz was sitting right by Dave on speakerphone and Terified was right by Sarah on theirs.

Yeah, that could work out.

ETA: I dunno about Sarah looking frail, but that bowed head and neck in almost all her photos, lately - except for those self-portratis where she's obscuring her face with the camera - make me feel really, really sad for her. She's either tired or arthritic or depressed or something else or a combination of any of the foregoing. Poor Sarah. Seriously.

Yes, there is an illustrator for the Moody books. It's one of the Klein girls. I don't remember her first name, but their family is friends with Rebecca K. and occasionally turns up on her blog.

Yes, there is an illustrator for the Moody books. It's one of the Klein girls. I don't remember her first name, but their family is friends with Rebecca K. and occasionally turns up on her blog.

I vaguely recall a previous thread somewhere in which one of the early books was illustrated by a relative (?) and then they redid those illustrations...can't find it. Argh, someone fill in the gaps?

In my moody book (the first one) Sarah Yates that her grandma did the illustrations unless otherwise noted. When I'm back at the dorm I'll look it up to be sure I'd no one else has by then.

Thanks for illustrator info.

I see that Stevhovah is resting on the 7th day - someone advised them to see the Manitoba Mennonite museum -- "it is such fun!" -- and the comment still stands. Tch, Stevus Maximus, to leave the f-u word on your blog!!! Scandalous.

If only the Maxwell kid-ults could use art as a real outlet to express something that is truly THEIRS and no one else's. And not see it as a purely practical tool only to be used for evangelizing. I imagine that if they decided to continue making art, they'd primarily only be approving depictions of Bible stories or other subject matter of a literal, overtly Christian bent.

Going through some major self-esteem issues in junior high and high school, my art was a world in which I belonged - a place to express some sadness and longing, to get some of it out so it wasn't bottled up inside (which helped me a LOT in the long run). To not be allowed to have a similar personalized outlet, be it sports or music or reading fun books about an absurdly esoteric historical topic or digging around for rocks and fossils - how terrible.

Latest blog post is up and sticking with the art theme the girls have made homemade cards. Apparently the cards are away to 'bless others' and the whole experience was summed up by Poor Sarah as "It was a sweet sister time" :roll:

It seems that art is fast becoming an idol Stevie :naughty:

Tch! Scarves in contrasting colors to sweaters/blouses! Drawing the eye to the *blush-swoon* area! Steve is really laying down on the job!!!!

Poor Sarah again seems bent upon self-criticism (she's the least artistic of the three).

And again, were she allowed to read more than the Bible, she'd realize the awkwardness of writing, "Who doesn't like to receive a handmade card with love?" when what I think she meant was "Who doesn't like to receive a card hand made with love?" (Maybe that's just me, but it seems so much more moving with the edit I suggest. ;) )

Also, Steve permitting treated of frozen custard and smoothies? What's going ON with that libertine? :think:

Here they are, playing with construction paper, scissors and paste! Three grown women so happy to have a new "approved" activity to break the monotony of praying and cleaning. Steve and Teri have done a superb job of instilling insignificance in Sarah's perception of herself. Of course she thinks she can't do these grade school art crafts as well as her sisters!

Here they are, playing with construction paper, scissors and paste! Three grown women so happy to have a new "approved" activity to break the monotony of praying and cleaning. Steve and Teri have done a superb job of instilling insignificance in Sarah's perception of herself. Of course she thinks she can't do these grade school art crafts as well as her sisters!

Flashed me back to when Rebecca Serven was prepping for her marriage to Steven Loomis. She posted a photo on the family blog of a variety of nail clippers, tweezers, small scissors. "Can you guess what these are for?" she asked (woman would've been a great kindergarten teacher if she'd been allowed to have/needed to have a career).

Turns out they were for removing unwanted sparkly things (IIRC: beads & sequins) from an ornamented fabric she'd bought for her wedding gown. Her younger sisters (by this time, the other older sister was married and long gone) helped her go over the material carefully snipping and removing the offendi.

To be sure, since she wore about a size negative-2, Rebecca's dress probably contained a whole yards of fabric, full skirt and all .... but seriously? that's what a couple of young-adolescent women wanted to be doing with their free time? Egads.

Flashed me back to when Rebecca Serven was prepping for her marriage to Steven Loomis. She posted a photo on the family blog of a variety of nail clippers, tweezers, small scissors. "Can you guess what these are for?" she asked (woman would've been a great kindergarten teacher if she'd been allowed to have/needed to have a career).

Turns out they were for removing unwanted sparkly things (IIRC: beads & sequins) from an ornamented fabric she'd bought for her wedding gown. Her younger sisters (by this time, the other older sister was married and long gone) helped her go over the material carefully snipping and removing the offendi.

To be sure, since she wore about a size negative-2, Rebecca's dress probably contained a whole yards of fabric, full skirt and all .... but seriously? that's what a couple of young-adolescent women wanted to be doing with their free time? Egads.

Wow, I didn't remember that Rebecca removed the beading from her wedding dress fabric -- what a waste of money (isn't that why the beaded material is so expensive?). And what a FINE use of time, everyone keeping their hands busy and everything.

And Rebecca is the oldest daughter in that family. Beth is younger but was married first, which I always thought was strange.

Its kinda sad that theyve emotionally abused their "children" so much, that theyve reduced their daughters to being like 8 year olds.

Archived