IGNORED

Boston Explosions caused by Muslims

SpeakNow

I have concerns that there may be attempts to hold him an as enemy combatant. They already seem to be bragging about not reading him his Miranda rights. I don't disagree with the public safety exception to Miranda, but I really hope they don't try to push what information they get out of it.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the younger one's twitter account. He's babbling about Finding Nemo and Breaking Bad hours before leaving a bomb next to little Martin Richard and his family.

https://twitter.com/J_tsar

Here's one from the day of the bombing: "Jaharâ€@J_tsar15 Apr

@MelloChamp and they what "god hates dead people?" Or victims of tragedies? Lol those people are cooked"

His friends have locked their accounts, but he may be referring to the WBC.

Just to forestall raised eyebrows at the "September 11, party at my house" tweet, that was the day of his naturalization ceremony, when he became a US citizen. It is pretty usual for people to have parties celebrating that landmark here in the Boston area; when I taught ESL, I was invited to lots of them.

I have concerns that there may be attempts to hold him an as enemy combatant. They already seem to be bragging about not reading him his Miranda rights. I don't disagree with the public safety exception to Miranda, but I really hope they don't try to push what information they get out of it.

He's an American citizen and the White House said tonight he will be tried in a civilian court. The public safety exception to Miranda has a 48 hour time limitation that won't be exceeded for the simple reason that if they did, the case against him could be tossed.

Just to forestall raised eyebrows at the "September 11, party at my house" tweet, that was the day of his naturalization ceremony, when he became a US citizen. It is pretty usual for people to have parties celebrating that landmark here in the Boston area; when I taught ESL, I was invited to lots of them.

Maybe, but it was under the tag #thingsyoudontyellwhenenteringaroom, so I think it was an attempt at a joke. Others have reported it was originally from a clip on Tosh.0.

Plus he is injured and in serious condition. He's in no condition to be questioned.

Maybe, but it was under the tag #thingsyoudontyellwhenenteringaroom, so I think it was an attempt at a joke. Others have reported it was originally from a clip on Tosh.0.

That was the day of his naturalization, though, per our local NPR station. Weird coincidence, I guess? Or the coincidence reminded him of the joke?

I'm glad he survived. He'll probably blame his brother, who apparently was not a nice guy and believed by family and friends to have been a negative influence on him. Best guess is the older one was a lone nut who pulled his brother into his insanity if only because the job was not professional in nature, but we need to know the full story.

I think that this is the case too, because so many people have talked about just how normal he was. A few said it changed recently, but most were very shocked. What people said about the brother was the opposite.

Holy strawman, Batman! Absolutely no one here said that.

Instead or working on those passport stamps, someone should have been working on their reading comprehension :mouse-shock:

I've always been under the impression Gulag isn't a native English speaker...some turn of phrases that seem kind of obvious to native speakers goes over his/her head. Not saying that doesn't mean s/he should entrench in their position if they don't quite understand what the other party is saying, but a possible explanation for the couple of flip outs s/he has had on FJ.

The 9-11 thing is just a coincidence. He doesn't choose the day he gets becomes a citizen.

I just want to apologize to everyone on this thread for my part in that derailing argument. I should have let it go much earlier than I did. I usually never argue online, much less bash my head against a brick wall like that.

Anyway, I'm relieved the people of Boston can roam free again!

Anyway, I'm relieved the people of Boston can roam free again!

Not to be a downer, but there are still lots of crazy people in Boston. Just like everywhere else.

That is such a ridiculous statement. Do you, personally, feel you could plant a bomb aimed at causing maximum damage to civilians at a sporting event?

Personally I'm not going to say I would never. I can't presently imagine the circumstances in which I would, but then I also doubt that the Boston bombers grew up their whole lives in utter certainty that some day, some how, they would bomb the shit out of a major sporting event.

It's a bit like the people who say "Leave me in a room for 5 minutes with the suspect and he'd be telling you everything" or "See if someone tried to mug me, they'd be eating out a tube for the rest of their lives" or "I'd never give in to torture like those wimps who were on Iraqi TV" or whatever, except in reverse. In extremis or in different circumstances, it's not possible to predict with 100% certainty what they would or would not do. So it's kind of bravado - sets my teeth on edge a bit.

If we decide that the bombers were "evil" and their innate evil means that they were going to do some evil at some point, and because we are good we will never do an evil thing like that, therefore we get rid of the bombers and get rid of the evil from amongst us, is a really ineffective and almost fundie-ish way of looking at things because it removes the possibility of concrete analysis from the situation. (Note: I'm not accusing you of this, I just read the Daily Mail too often).

Can anyone answer this?

Okay, they don't want to read him his rights....

So because they aren't going to do that, he doesn't HAVE those rights? Cause that sounds like a crock. Depts have been sued and cases thrown out for "forgetting".

I mean, dude grew up here. He watches tv quite a bit apparently. Unless he's out of his mind, out of his mind on pain meds, or scared pretty badly and therefore not thinking straight, he'd have a clue about that.

So.....my question is, couldn't he potentially sue the shit out if them? Especially for essentially bragging about it beforehand. Because that sounds like a really dumbassed thing to do. The letting it be known far and wide that they can get info out of him to use against him before he knows he has the right to not speak or have a lawyer just sounds like a kick in the face to law enforcement waiting to happen.

Can anyone answer this?

So because they aren't going to do that, he doesn't HAVE those rights? Cause that sounds like a crock. Depts have been sued and cases thrown out for "forgetting".

I mean, dude grew up here. He watches tv quite a bit apparently. Unless he's out of his mind, out of his mind on pain meds, or scared pretty badly and therefore not thinking straight, he'd have a clue about that.

So.....my question is, couldn't he potentially sue the shit out if them? Especially for essentially bragging about it beforehand. Because that sounds like a really dumbassed thing to do. The letting it be known far and wide that they can get info out of him to use against him before he knows he has the right to not speak or have a lawyer just sounds like a kick in the face to law enforcement waiting to happen.

Withholding Miranda rights when there is a suspected threat to public safety is legal, but they can only do it for 48 hours and then he has the right to a lawyer. Plus, any information he divulges during that 48 hour time frame is inadmissible in court. What this boils down to is that they think they have enough physical evidence to convict this guy without an admission of guilt on his part. They feel the intel they can get from him on potential other targets/terrorist groups/etc. is far more valuable than a confession.

Withholding Miranda rights when there is a suspected threat to public safety is legal, but they can only do it for 48 hours and then he has the right to a lawyer. Plus, any information he divulges during that 48 hour time frame is inadmissible in court. What this boils down to is that they think they have enough physical evidence to convict this guy without an admission of guilt on his part. They feel the intel they can get from him on potential other targets/terrorist groups/etc. is far more valuable than a confession.

Thanks for the explanation.

Not to be a downer, but there are still lots of crazy people in Boston. Just like everywhere else.

Are you comparing Boston to other cities?! Put up your dukes! It's round two! Lol! Just kidding, obviously.

Yes, but happily the lockdown is over and two more of the dangerous ones are off the street. It must be a relief, yesterday when the one brother was not yet captured it was intense.

Just watched the news for the first time today (BBC)

Now granted I think the scenes may have been predominately students? But the chanting USA U S A! The fist punching and jubilation, I find it incredibly disturbing. It also reminds me of the very scenes seen in Iraq, Afghanistan after war bombings etc. It just seems terribly parochial. Obviously as of yet no motive has been established but already it appears as if it is some sort of 'them' 'us' mentality. I realise not all will think like this but it only looks to me as an outsider to fuel the very hysterical scenes the West like to film in other countries which they deem 'radical' or 'dangerous.'

Foreign policy of the British government caused simplistically speaking the years of terrorism in Northern Ireland. In the some 20 years of bombings and atrocities whilst obviously anger and demonstrations were common it tended to be at courthouses, outpouring of anger at carnage and death. I don't recall any patriotic mass hysteria. Possibly it became so complicated that even if the 'you reap what you sow' was not at the forefront of common thinking there was an awareness that intrinsically there was a deeper problem than just 'them and us.' Or maybe just British natural reserve? It took 20 odd years for peace talks and then some. I would imagine it would be another 20 years if Union Jacks, chanting and fist pumping occurred after every IRA arrest.

USA/UK foreign policy has led to atrocities and bombings following the 'War on Terror' notably the attacks on New York, London. Wars of dubious intention.

But as of yet no link has been made to a similar source for this recent horror. The Wars that the US have fought have been far and removed geographically and only with the advent of easier travel has it reached the home front per se. For example Belfast although being a different country, I can see from my house on a clear day. Distance is nothing now and I really do believe as generations of Afghans, Iraqi's grow up that there may be more of these isolated lunatic type of attacks. Watching the news tonight I can only see the type of behaviour displayed as fuelling any hostile feeling that already exists.

I find it both disturbing and frightening. :(

Can anyone answer this?

I heard when they captured him that he was rushed to the hospital in serious condition. He may not have been in any condition to have his rights read or answer questions. Maybe he was unconscious or out of it or something. In that case the first priority would be to save his life and stabilize him medically. Also, they say his father is an attorney, so I think his father would ensure his rights were protected. I also hear that they have 48 hours to read him his rights for public safety concern, and that this was an exception to Miranda. Not sure about that part, can the legal eagles here elaborate on that?

I heard when they captured him that he was rushed to the hospital in serious condition. He may not have been in any condition to have his rights read or answer questions. Maybe he was unconscious or out of it or something. In that case the first priority would be to save his life and stabilize him medically. Also, they say his father is an attorney, so I think his father would ensure his rights were protected. I also hear that they have 48 hours to read him his rights for public safety concern, and that this was an exception to Miranda. Not sure about that part, can the legal eagles here elaborate on that?

I found this explanation for why he wasn't read his rights.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/0 ... da-rights/

Now granted I think the scenes may have been predominately students? But the chanting USA U S A! The fist punching and jubilation, I find it incredibly disturbing. It also reminds me of the very scenes seen in Iraq, Afghanistan after war bombings etc. It just seems terribly parochial. Obviously as of yet no motive has been established but already it appears as if it is some sort of 'them' 'us' mentality. I realise not all will think like this but it only looks to me as an outsider to fuel the very hysterical scenes the West like to film in other countries which they deem 'radical' or 'dangerous.'

Foreign policy of the British government caused simplistically speaking the years of terrorism in Northern Ireland. In the some 20 years of bombings and atrocities whilst obviously anger and demonstrations were common it tended to be at courthouses, outpouring of anger at carnage and death. I don't recall any patriotic mass hysteria. Possibly it became so complicated that even if the 'you reap what you sow' was not at the forefront of common thinking there was an awareness that intrinsically there was a deeper problem than just 'them and us.' Or maybe just British natural reserve? It took 20 odd years for peace talks and then some. I would imagine it would be another 20 years if Union Jacks, chanting and fist pumping occurred after every IRA arrest.

USA/UK foreign policy has led to atrocities and bombings following the 'War on Terror' notably the attacks on New York, London. Wars of dubious intention.

But as of yet no link has been made to a similar source for this recent horror. The Wars that the US have fought have been far and removed geographically and only with the advent of easier travel has it reached the home front per se. For example Belfast although being a different country, I can see from my house on a clear day. Distance is nothing now and I really do believe as generations of Afghans, Iraqi's grow up that there may be more of these isolated lunatic type of attacks. Watching the news tonight I can only see the type of behaviour displayed as fuelling any hostile feeling that already exists.

I find it both disturbing and frightening. :(

I'm an American and this sort of posturing has always disturbed me. From ANYONE. There are no safe places anymore. No one is immume. The chest beating and chanting, as if it's going to scare away any future terrorist acts because we're big, bad Ammuricans, dammit! is actually kind of embarrassing to me (along with childishly renaming french fries FREEDOM fries, FFS. And kudos to whoever decided to ditch the name Freedom Tower for the new WTC). Thank the police, thank the other services that helped capture the suspect, but there's nothing uniquely American about getting it done. There's really no difference at all between those who were chanting USA USA and the kind celebrating we saw after the Twin Towers fell. I realize that everyone's feeling a tremendous sense of relief but there are better ways to show it than with uber-patriotic posturing.

Thanks, Lillybee, that article answered a lot of my questions. Sparkles, the posturing bothers me too.

I'm an American and this sort of posturing has always disturbed me. From ANYONE. There are no safe places anymore. No one is immume. The chest beating and chanting, as if it's going to scare away any future terrorist acts because we're big, bad Ammuricans, dammit! is actually kind of embarrassing to me (along with childishly renaming french fries FREEDOM fries, FFS. And kudos to whoever decided to ditch the name Freedom Tower for the new WTC). Thank the police, thank the other services that helped capture the suspect, but there's nothing uniquely American about getting it done. There's really no difference at all between those who were chanting USA USA and the kind celebrating we saw after the Twin Towers fell. I realize that everyone's feeling a tremendous sense of relief but there are better ways to show it than with uber-patriotic posturing.

Amen. My hometown hockey team (which I love) posted on FB several times, including a video, of the crowd chanting "USA! USA!" after they announced at the game that he'd been apprehended. Made me a little sick to my stomach. Can we just be thankful he's off the streets without resorting to this gung-ho chest beating? It unnerved me; it was such a mob-like response.

I thought the clapping and cheering for the police was fine, but didn't see the USA USA! stuff. I do think last night warranted celebration, especially among those who spent the day hunkering down knowing that more likely than not a guy possibly covered in explosives with nothing to lose was roaming around their neighborhood. That said it's much more tasteful to me to make it about thanking the police who risked their lives than to make it about some USA USA thing, especially given that the suspects were US citizens themselves regardless of where they came from.

(

I'm not doubting you, but where are you seeing these "USA! USA!" chants?

I spent the late morning/early afternoon in Boston and then visited my cousin who was locked down in Watertown with a newborn, and I've seen nothing of the sort. I've seen relieved people, people who are proud of how the City of Boston handled things, and people who were back to watching the Sox and the Celtics and the Bruins. But no chanting. Any links would be appreciated.

Archived