IGNORED

Boston Explosions caused by Muslims

SpeakNow

This is cynical, but I think it's because they're white. I wouldn't be surprised if the response was different if they were Arab or another race.

Arabs, like Chechens, are mostly Caucasians.

There was considerable concern that the public would react badly to the fact that the brothers were avowed Muslims. That hasn't happened.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boston.com ran an article on all the ways Bostonians et als would like Nate Bell to go to hell. I found it cathartic. Jackass.

http://www.boston.com/ae/radio/blog/201 ... idiot.html

The people of Boston are awesome.

Seriously - when you have law enforcement swarming everywhere, why on earth would private citizens need high-powered guns? Especially when everyone wanted this guy captured alive?

Before you start feeling too sorry for him, here's a photo of little Martin Richard and his little sister with the smirking Dzhokhar Tsarnaev just before her leg was ripped off and Martin was blown to bits.

Martin_Richard_Suspect_Bombing_Boston_Marathon-300x252.jpg

That picture alone is enough to defeat just about any defense. His only hope for avoiding the death penalty is to sing like a canary and even then, not so sure...

CNN is now reporting that the wife is speaking with the FBI with an attorney and claims to have no knowledge. There may have been some domestic violence in the past. She is turning over her computer etc.

Its truly astounding that they could have pulled off making atleast 3 bombs (2 used and one thrown at cops thursday night), amassed guns and ammo, and make "homemade grenades" without anyone around them noticing.

The people of Boston are awesome.

Seriously - when you have law enforcement swarming everywhere, why on earth would private citizens need high-powered guns? Especially when everyone wanted this guy captured alive?

Yes, lets give terrified people high powered guns so that they can shoot other innocent, equally terrified people. A frightened person with a gun usually just hurts other people. My son looks a tiny bit like the younger bomber. He has roughly the same color hair, more curly but with the same type of nose. If someone saw him in the dark, perhaps wearing a baseball cap, it is possible that he'd be mistaken as the bomber. I could see an insane scenario where my son would go outside to put trash in the bin and be killed by a terrified person with a weapon. I'd much rather someone call the cops to my son

Yeah, arming everyone just leads to innocent people getting shot by mistake. Leave it to the professionals and let them do their job.

Yes, lets give terrified people high powered guns so that they can shoot other innocent, equally terrified people. A frightened person with a gun usually just hurts other people. My son looks a tiny bit like the younger bomber. He has roughly the same color hair, more curly but with the same type of nose. If someone saw him in the dark, perhaps wearing a baseball cap, it is possible that he'd be mistaken as the bomber. I could see an insane scenario where my son would go outside to put trash in the bin and be killed by a terrified person with a weapon. I'd much rather someone call the cops to my son

I agree, more people with guns during a very tense situation would make things worse and lead to innocent people being shot. I was also annoyed with Nate Bell's tweet because it generalized all liberals as being anti-guns. I know liberals who do have guns for protection, but is more protection in case someone breaks into their house.

Personally I'm not going to say I would never. I can't presently imagine the circumstances in which I would, but then I also doubt that the Boston bombers grew up their whole lives in utter certainty that some day, some how, they would bomb the shit out of a major sporting event.

It's a bit like the people who say "Leave me in a room for 5 minutes with the suspect and he'd be telling you everything" or "See if someone tried to mug me, they'd be eating out a tube for the rest of their lives" or "I'd never give in to torture like those wimps who were on Iraqi TV" or whatever, except in reverse. In extremis or in different circumstances, it's not possible to predict with 100% certainty what they would or would not do. So it's kind of bravado - sets my teeth on edge a bit.

If we decide that the bombers were "evil" and their innate evil means that they were going to do some evil at some point, and because we are good we will never do an evil thing like that, therefore we get rid of the bombers and get rid of the evil from amongst us, is a really ineffective and almost fundie-ish way of looking at things because it removes the possibility of concrete analysis from the situation. (Note: I'm not accusing you of this, I just read the Daily Mail too often).

JFC, I'll agree with some of your other examples (I don't think it's possible to predict how you would react under torture if you've never experienced it), but those are quite different from the example of bombing a sporting event. It's not about physical prowess or extraordinary bravery under extreme circumstances. This wasn't about self-defense or "fog of war". One person could have a brain injury or paranoid psychosis, but that can't explain the behavior of both brothers. So yes, I think that many of us could say that we would not intentionally blow up civilians during a peaceful sporting event, especially when we could see small children in front of us.

As for the general question of evil - I believe that most people do what most of the people around them do, most of the time. The outliers who are sane tend to be motivated by personal conviction, for better or worse. I was raised with a worldview that didn't give evil a pass if it was societal - rather, conformity was seen as potentially evil, while those who had demonstrated that they would be outliers for goodness in the face of evil were giving the highest honor. The flip side was that in quiet situations, people were seen as untested and there was an uncertainly as to whether they would have the potential to turn on you if circumstances changed.

So... in regards to the actual topic of the thread....

I think it's interesting and kind of heartbreaking to hear the family speak on the news. The mother, aunt and father (I think) have all stated that they feel the suspects were framed and that there is "no way" that they would/could do something like this. It must be very difficult to wrap your mind around, as a family member.

Reddit posted a photo of suspect #1 postmortem. Looks like they tried pretty hard to resuscitate him. I really hope they find the younger one and can get more information about what happened and the motivation for these events. I wonder if the 19 year old was following his brother in this plan and is alone, scared as hell and has no clue what to do next.

This morning I said to someone I work with that this all seems so similar to the Christopher Dorner situation.

I found it fucking scary, considering that batshit crazy aunt lives in my city.

The wife, the uncle and the friends were able to face reality - to say "wow, we are totally shocked, we saw no signs, this is horrible." That's understandable, and it adds to our understanding of the situation.

Loony aunt, however, thinks she's in some sort of position to demand "evidence" when she hadn't seen these guys in 5 years and when authorities are occupied with an ongoing investigation. Everybody else on the planet saw the videos of the guys walking with the backpacks, before authorities had any idea who they were. They know that a survivor described the guy in the black cap placing the backpack down and said that it exploded a couple of minutes later. We have the photo of the younger brother with the backpack beside the boy he killed. We know that they were involved in a shootout and assorted mayhem a few days later. There are plenty of questions about "why", but no questions about their guilt or identity.

There are so many conspiracy theorists one youtube. Don't they ever wonder why non government affiliated academics from other countries don't side with them? or that if there was the slightest hint that this was an inside job Syria, Iran & Palestine would have been all flipping over it?

Anyway I wrote a default comment for any kind of internet conspiracy theorist I encounter. If you have any suggestions let me know. I always want to say something when the crazy is too much, but I don't want to have to go to the effort of writing a paragraph because it probably won't change their mind.

Conspiracy theorists always claim to be exceptional when it comes to critical thinking & scepticism. Yet you are so biased towards one side regarding this issue. Maybe you could try practicing what you preach? Instead of attempting to raise yourself above the so called masses & get vast amounts of attention from paranoid halfwits who will not question a word you tell them. In effect you are not better than the mainstream sensationalist media.

That picture alone is enough to defeat just about any defense. His only hope for avoiding the death penalty is to sing like a canary and even then, not so sure...

CNN is now reporting that the wife is speaking with the FBI with an attorney and claims to have no knowledge. There may have been some domestic violence in the past. She is turning over her computer etc.

Its truly astounding that they could have pulled off making atleast 3 bombs (2 used and one thrown at cops thursday night), amassed guns and ammo, and make "homemade grenades" without anyone around them noticing.

Maybe there is something wrong with my vision, but that picture shows me nothing. I wouldn't be able to pick the man with the hat out of a line up, based on this photo. The little boy matches the little boy killed(sorry I don't remember his name - I'm on tapatalk so I can't look it up :( ) but I have no idea who the alleged bomber is and I can't tell if he's smirking or anything. It's just a blurry photo to me.

Maybe there is something wrong with my vision, but that picture shows me nothing. I wouldn't be able to pick the man with the hat out of a line up, based on this photo. The little boy matches the little boy killed(sorry I don't remember his name - I'm on tapatalk so I can't look it up :( ) but I have no idea who the alleged bomber is and I can't tell if he's smirking or anything. It's just a blurry photo to me.

Its confirmed to be the little boy, Martin Richards and his sister Jane. The FBI says they have unreleased video that clearly shows Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's actions from where he split with his brother to where he left the backpack, along with his reaction to both explosions. Here's some additional photos that have been released from the scene. The second photo is of him running away just after dropping his backpack near where the children were standing. A hat matching the one in the photos was found in his dorm room. Along with bomb making materials. Taken in it's totality, the known evidence against him is overwhelming.

boston-marathon-suspects-1-2.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1366371512465

bombing-scene-2-300.jpg

Defense in some cases doesn't mean going for acquittal. Sometimes it's about keeping the accused out of the chair.

I feel awful of the victims, the dead and the wounded. I also feel regret for a kid who seemed to have a great life in America teed up, and instead followed his brother into its complete destruction.

I do not feel any sympathy for that murdering asshole. That picture shows him placing a bomb right by that sweet little boy. He blew him up and blew the legs off others who were just enjoying their day at a sporting event. He shot and threw bombs at police. You don't "go along" with your brother becoming a terrorist and planning to blow people up. You turn him in. Seriously, fuck that asshole.

I am unfamiliar with this source but was linked to by drudge... it appears to have lots of conspiracy shit.

infowars.com/falsely-identified-boston-bomber-found-dead-in-river

However, I do trust the Globe

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/04 ... story.html

Providence police Lieutenant Joseph Donnelly said Tuesday night that “it’s very, very possible†that the body could be Tripathi’s, but also said authorities will not know for sure until the medical examiner’s office in Providence identifies the body Wednesday morning. Donnelly said Tripathi’s family has not been notified of the body’s recovery.

From the infowars link:

Tripathi’s possible connection to the Boston bombing was first raised by users of the 4chan website when it was pointed out that his image bore a similarity to one of the suspects first named by the FBI who later turned out to be Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev.

Users of the Reddit website later apologized to Tripathi’s family for making the erroneous connection, with one moderator writing, “We cannot begin to know what you’re going through and for that we are truly sorry.â€

It would be truly tragic if another innocent life is lost.

Infowars is Alex Jones, a crazy ass conspiracy theorist who yells 'false flag' at everything. There's very little he says that should be taken with any seriousness.

What I find surprising is that many of the news pundits seemed to be doubting they could became radicalized just from the internet, rather than by initially participating in a known terrorist organization----have thes people ever been on the internet ???? Have they not noticed how every vicious, crazy, evil thought can be promoted and validated ?

I would put forward that people like Beck and Alex Jones and that ilk, are every bit as responsible for the radicalization as any 'foreign' influence.

Yeah, I think that is entirely possible. The rally big conspiracy theorists teach that the government is evil and wants to kill all the people, and control everyone and must be stopped at all costs. There are so many followers of them who have stockpiled weapons for the purpose of fighting against the government when they inevitably start rounding people up and killing them or whatever. It makes sense that some people might actually become terrorists or do mass murders because they want to get back at the government and fight.

Authorities are still investigating the role of someone identified by the family as "Misha" They also still need to figure out who Tamerlan met in Dagestan during his last trip there, and exactly why the Russians alerted American officials about both him and his mother.

As for the "let's go after all the mosques!" BS, I've got a better idea. How about targeting folks if other countries contact us and say "we believe that this person is dangerous" and monitor whether or not they are posting jihadist videos on YouTube?

I know that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has destroyed countless lives, but I can't help but feel a bit sorry for him.

My daughter was working in Boston the day of the bombing. She was going to leave work early because it was slow, and walk to the finish line to watch the marathon. She was going to leave around 3. The bombings happened just before 3. My daughter decided to stay at work longer. This piece of shit doesn't get my sympathy. God forgive me, but I don't care if he dies, and this is coming from someone who doesn't even believe in the death penalty. It could have been my daughter who was injured or killed. She worked herself up into such a frenzy that she called me every hour on the hour for days. She tried to go on a job interview. Transportation was closed because he was on the loose. She tried to sleep over her best friend's house. Her best friend lives where the kid was found in the boat. Streets were blocked off. She tried to come home. Train service was stopped and they told her that they were under a terror attack until further notice. I am getting less politically correct with age and the list of who I can't stand grows more. Extreme religious views have caused pain to many people through history and it is getting old.

My daughter was working in Boston the day of the bombing. She was going to leave work early because it was slow, and walk to the finish line to watch the marathon. She was going to leave around 3. The bombings happened just before 3. My daughter decided to stay at work longer. This piece of shit doesn't get my sympathy. God forgive me, but I don't care if he dies, and this is coming from someone who doesn't even believe in the death penalty. It could have been my daughter who was injured or killed. She worked herself up into such a frenzy that she called me every hour on the hour for days. She tried to go on a job interview. Transportation was closed because he was on the loose. She tried to sleep over her best friend's house. Her best friend lives where the kid was found in the boat. Streets were blocked off. She tried to come home. Train service was stopped and they told her that they were under a terror attack until further notice. I am getting less politically correct with age and the list of who I can't stand grows more. Extreme religious views have caused pain to many people through history and it is getting old.

My kids were in the crowd about 6 blocks from the second blast. They were able to get home pretty early though, as the T was operational again in the late afternoon/early evening. My cousin lives in Watertown, however, and she was locked down in her apartment the day the surviving suspect was loose.

I know all's well that ends well, but I think the police response in Watertown was militaristic and over-the-top. They were dealing with one bloodied teenager who they knew couldn't have gotten far without a vehicle. Tanks and machine guns? It's a little ironic that it wasn't until they let the citizens back out again that the boat owner was able to find him.

As a Bostonian, I find the attack on innocents at the Marathon sickening. I visited the memorial in the park at Copley yesterday and it was incredibly sad. And I agree that radical religious views can be very dangerous. But I think all religious views have the potential to be dangerous because of the damage that can be done to people by magical thinkers who believe their way of thinking and living is the only way people should think and live.

We also need to be thankful that these young men did not have any guns beyond a single handgun. It's hard to imagine the number of people they could have killed had they used the weapons the Sandy Hook killer had. Instead of four dead people, we could be looking at over 100 dead people. Which raises the question, why aren't assault rifles considered weapons of mass destruction?

I would put forward that people like Beck and Alex Jones and that ilk, are every bit as responsible for the radicalization as any 'foreign' influence.

QFT!

And I can imagine people like ZuZu or the Stinking Lousewife spawning future domestic terrorist considering they are raising their children in a culture of bigotry and hate.

Oh, this is interesting. We should be more concerned about terrorist attacks from right-wing extremists rather than Muslims.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... n-tsarnaev

QFT!

And I can imagine people like ZuZu or the Stinking Lousewife spawning future domestic terrorist considering they are raising their children in a culture of bigotry and hate.

Oh, this is interesting. We should be more concerned about terrorist attacks from right-wing extremists rather than Muslims.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... n-tsarnaev

I read the article and thought "false dichotomy". It's not as if there is a choice and law enforcement can only focus on one threat. They should all be taken seriously.

I read the article and thought "false dichotomy". It's not as if there is a choice and law enforcement can only focus on one threat. They should all be taken seriously.

I didn't like that article at all, and I agree with you that all threats should be taken seriously.

I am unfamiliar with this source but was linked to by drudge... it appears to have lots of conspiracy shit.

infowars.com/falsely-identified-boston-bomber-found-dead-in-river

However, I do trust the Globe

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/04 ... story.html

From the infowars link:

It would be truly tragic if another innocent life is lost.

Tripathi has/had been missing since March 16th of this year.

Archived