IGNORED

Boston Explosions caused by Muslims

SpeakNow

Some of the nicest people in the world are muslims. Like that fast food vendor who's clearly a muslim who gave away free sodas to a group of small boys on a hot summer day. Or that nice, hijab-wearing saleswoman at the grocery store, who never fails to help you with the biggest smile. The old muslim man who handed me tissue after tissue when I sat on the sidewalk crying when my car had been stolen (by a white guy! GASP!).

I'm sure there's some ebil plan behind all this. Hmmm.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chechens are nuts. Crazy m-f*ckers. Makes Al Queda look like Little Mary Sunshine.

Is Chechen not an ethnic group?

Some of the nicest people in the world are muslims. Like that fast food vendor who's clearly a muslim who gave away free sodas to a group of small boys on a hot summer day. Or that nice, hijab-wearing saleswoman at the grocery store, who never fails to help you with the biggest smile. The old muslim man who handed me tissue after tissue when I sat on the sidewalk crying when my car had been stolen (by a white guy! GASP!).

I'm sure there's some ebil plan behind all this. Hmmm.

Yep. When I was a 20 year old (very naive) exchange student in Korea, the other exchange students -- most of them Muslim -- reached out and helped me adjust, took me places, cooked with me, etc. Some of the sweetest people I have ever met. One in particular was from Algeria, very strict about following the tenants of her religion. I think she was really the most honest, kind person I have ever met and I'll never forget her. I wish I had a way to contact her now.

Jesus Christ it is chaos here in the Boston area. Public transportation has been suspended and everyone is staying inside.

I'm not sure it's fair to say Chechens are any more brutal or crazy than any other group - Catholics, Native Americans, Blacks etc.

Anyhow, it looks like there is a good chance this attack was perpetrated by two Muslims. Islam extremism might not have anything to do with their motives, but they are from Chechnya and Kazahkstan (sp?) which are predominately Muslim.

I've known some extremely sweet and kind Muslims as well. This makes me worry for their well-being. :cry:

This reminds me, there is a very good (indian) movie called "My name is Khan" about muslims, hindus and christians in America and dealing with the fallout of 9/11. I'll admit that it is very indian-styled over the top, but nevertheless a good view. It's basically about a muslim American who suffers from muslimophobia after 9/11 and goes on a journey to tell the president that "his name is Khan, and he's not a terrorist". It also deals with different muslim groups, some good, some bad, interreligious marriage, traditional views and tradition vs public image.

My friend lives in West Roxbury, MA so she's not affected, but a town over, she said is a different story.

I feel so bad for everyone affected. They're just trying to live their lives and stuff keeps happening :/

Chechens are nuts. Crazy m-f*ckers. Makes Al Queda look like Little Mary Sunshine.

Like engaging in obnoxious stereotyping much?

I'm not sure it's fair to say Chechens are any more brutal or crazy than any other group - Catholics, Native Americans, Blacks etc.

pol

Anyhow, it looks like there is a good chance this attack was perpetrated by two Muslims. Islam extremism might not have anything to do with their motives, but they are from Chechnya and Kazahkstan (sp?) which are predominately Muslim.

I've known some extremely sweet and kind Muslims as well. This makes me worry for their well-being. :cry:

It's the extremists in any religion/country/philosophy/movement that cause the distress. The uncle of the pair was just on radio, repeating, "I have no words. I have no words." He no doubt has strong political opinions, but apparently he is not taking his mind, nor his beliefs, nor his actions, to the extreme, whatever his thoughts, beliefs and actions are.

We snark on FJ mostly about Christian extremists because that's what's around us in the North American/European/Australian, etc., world, and we can do so in part because our governments are distinct from the religious groups that populate our lands. The people cowering in their homes in Watertown and Boston are experiencing what people in other parts of the world live with nearly daily - because of extremism.

How is it to be moderated, modified? I do not know. Grieving for the family of the slain MIT officer, for the uncles and the young men's families, as well as for the Marathon people. Pray for peace. It's all I can offer, right now.

I feel very bad for the uncle and his family. Also, a reporter called the brothers' Dad in Russia and he said he also has two daughters in New York. I feel very bad for all of those relatives of the bombers. Their lives are now going to be hell.

Chechnya has been a hotbed of terrorism for many years now. However, their targets have nearly always been Russian, not the West. Hopefully the surviving terrorist keeps surviving so we can get more information out of him. However, there is a very good chance this has nothing to do with religion itself.

They apparently hold Kyrzyg passports but the younger brother has been in the US since the early 2000s and graduated from high school in Boston. Older brother came a couple of years later. These are not fresh off the boat sent to the US to committ murder Chechans. The family apparently haven't lived in Chechnya for years. This may explain why there was such a "home grown" feel to the actions. It doesn't explain why they didn't leave Boston right after the attacks, though.

I think these guys are part of a bigger group and that's why they're not leaving. Maybe they want to create more mayhem.

I think these guys are part of a bigger group and that's why they're not leaving. Maybe they want to create more mayhem.

I think it may be more likely they were lone nuts fixated on drawing attention to the cause of Chechnian independence.

They may have been in Boston for some time. The younger graduated from high school here last year and there are some reports that the older brother first entered the US as a child refuge over 20 years ago.

Here's an article about the "normal" teen who is enrolled at UMass Dartmouth:

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/04 ... story.html

This is just my opinion, but this feels like it's turning into a movie. First, we have the explosions in a place where there are literally thousands of cameras trained and is a major sporting event. Now we have the robbery, police chase, more bombs etc.

I feel like this is like the plot of The Dark Knight Rises (or whichever one had The Joker). I'm not so sure this had much if anything to do with Islam, and more with two young kids with dark fantasy.

I want to know how this kid keeps evading 9,000 policemen and SWAT teams. That's some Catch Me If You Can realness.

Sure. If you were going to say that.

Chechnya is a republic of Russia. There are ethnic Chechens and then there are citizens of the republic of Chechnya. Russian, Armenian, etc.

You can compare Native Americans to Chechens when there is a Native America in the United States and Canada.

Or are you comparing Chechnya to Nunavut?

Either way - I have never seen or heard of Native Americans being responsible for brutal crazy action; riots, demonstrations, bombings, attacks of any nature, and know of no philosophical, religious or political agenda.

I'm interested. Please enlighten me.

Qualifier: I have a sound knowledge base, educated, articulate, traveled. I have varying degrees of broad familiarity with global affairs and international politics. I have been passported since I was an infant, and not because of the military. I am exposed to, and seek out, many sources of information, news, books, etc. I possess a high level of critical thinking skill and sound cognitive analysis.

I intentionally limit my exposure to puerile and plebeian propaganda like The Duggars and have zero interest in titillating sensationalist nonsense like the Kardashians, Paris Hilton and Ivanka Trump.

They apparently hold Kyrzyg passports but the younger brother has been in the US since the early 2000s and graduated from high school in Boston. Older brother came a couple of years later. These are not fresh off the boat sent to the US to committ murder Chechans. The family apparently haven't lived in Chechnya for years. This may explain why there was such a "home grown" feel to the actions. It doesn't explain why they didn't leave Boston right after the attacks, though.

Then they aren't Chechen ??

Forgive me, I'm behind. Stayed up half the night following this and haven't checked news yet today.

Sure. If you were going to say that.

Chechnya is a republic of Russia. There are ethnic Chechens and then there are citizens of the republic of Chechnya. Russian, Armenian, etc.

You can compare Native Americans to Chechens when there is a Native America in the United States and Canada.

Or are you comparing Chechnya to Nunavut?

Either way - I have never seen or heard of Native Americans being responsible for brutal crazy action; riots, demonstrations, bombings, attacks of any nature, and know of no philosophical, religious or political agenda.

I'm interested. Please enlighten me.

Qualifier: I have a sound knowledge base, educated, articulate, traveled. I have varying degrees of broad familiarity with global affairs and international politics. I have been passported since I was an infant, and not because of the military. I am exposed to, and seek out, many sources of information, news, books, etc. I possess a high level of critical thinking skill and sound cognitive analysis.

I intentionally limit my exposure to puerile and plebeian propaganda like The Duggars and have zero interest in titillating sensationalist nonsense like the Kardashians, Paris Hilton and Ivanka Trump.

:roll: Watch out, s/he's a real intellectual. :roll:

Then they aren't Chechen ??

Forgive me, I'm behind. Stayed up half the night following this and haven't checked news yet today.

Just watched the interview with the uncle (poor guy was bombarded by media questions and hasn't even seen his brother's kids since 2005), and he said the older brother was born in Chechnya, but the younger one was born in Kyrgyzstan. He was ashamed and said that they've brought shame to the entire Chechen ethnicity.

My sister and her family are on lockdown in her house about 15 minutes away from Watertown, actually in between Watertown and Cambridge. This does not bode well for my pregnancy hormones.

Chechnya has been a hotbed of terrorism for many years now. However, their targets have nearly always been Russian, not the West. Hopefully the surviving terrorist keeps surviving so we can get more information out of him. However, there is a very good chance this has nothing to do with religion itself.

I would not consider an American young adult raised and living in Massachusetts (or any other US city) to be a Chechen rebel. Wouldn't even think it. Anymore than I would imagine a German family living in LA to have a Nazi son, or an Israeli family in Seattle to have an IDF son.

I'm going to hold any more thought about this until I have real concrete information.

One was born in Chechnya, the other was born in Kyrgyzstan. They were sent to America by their family in hopes of a better life.

I would not consider an American young adult raised and living in Massachusetts (or any other US city) to be a Chechen rebel. Wouldn't even think it. Anymore than I would imagine a German family living in LA to have a Nazi son, or an Israeli family in Seattle to have an IDF son.

I'm going to hold any more thought about this until I have real concrete information.

I did not call him a Chechen rebel. From the descriptions of him, I suspect the younger one was a follower of the older.

However, there is ample evidence out there that the older brother was very concerned with Chechnya's battle for independence, and as I said, Chechnya has been a hotbed of terrorism against Russia specifically. But what better way to bring US attention to the cause?

It does sound as though the younger son was corrupted by the elder. Very sad....from what his friends and teachers say he was on his way to a nice life here.

Any reason you are comparing a hate group to a standing army for a country?

Archived