IGNORED

Broken teeth and the power of submission

Koala

Just saw this comment and response:

PJB

You can count me among the women who are angry that you would sensationalize enduring abuse as a powerful example of anything good. (But you probably knew that.)

I believe in feminine servant-hood -- and I hate to see domineering women destroy families by disrespectful conduct. But I also believe that all leaders must be servants, which means that I also believe in male servant-hood, and that any servant-hearted person can be a leader in a family.

I understand that you cling to words like "leader" for men "obey" for women, but you get "leader" from the Greek metaphor of headship, which is by no means as clear-cut as you imagine... and you get "obey" from the King James translation of "hupotasso" which is an innocent word that only means that we elevate others by our humility (servanthood) and willingly take shelter under them. It's important to cling to the Bible -- It's also important to occasionally wonder if our personal conclusions about 'what it clearly means' are actually well founded.

I might go on saying these things to you, because I think you read them, even though Ken usually responds. Sometimes I have hope that I might find a teachable moment with you -- possibly due to the title of your blog... but posts like this, Lori, they are not worthy of you. It does not good for the Church to be on the internet as "pro-abuse" -- there are already enough people in Churches past and present who prove that point. Let's not join their ranks?

Lori Alexander

I made it very clear that I am not "pro-abuse" and frankly, you write a bit too intellectually for me. This is why I usually have Ken respond. My posts and thoughts are fairly simple. I am not a highly academic person. I would like to think I am a wise woman and that is all that matters to me. All your interpretations of words confuse me. I do read your responses but I don't always understand the point you are trying to make. I know we agree on some things and disagree on others and that is fine with me. You always write thoughtful disagreements and that is why I publish your comments.

So on one hand, if lots of people disagree with her on what she posts, she doesn't understand why they "don't get it," like when she got called out for leaving black and Jewish women out of her "women aren't treated badly" post. On the other hand, if someone wants to engage in the meaning of the words she chooses, the post is "too intellectual." And one of the roles of the headship is to step in and have an intellectual discussion if someone's comments that the wife can't understand with her inferior female brain.

The fact is Lori does not make it clear she is not pro-abuse. Oh, she puts that little one sentence disclaimer in, but then goes ahead with stories like this one, and the one about the boys pushing their dog down the hill. And called that dog story precious as I recall.

Both of these stories were very much pro-abuse.

Just saw this comment and response:

So on one hand, if lots of people disagree with her on what she posts, she doesn't understand why they "don't get it," like when she got called out for leaving black and Jewish women out of her "women aren't treated badly" post. On the other hand, if someone wants to engage in the meaning of the words she chooses, the post is "too intellectual." And one of the roles of the headship is to step in and have an intellectual discussion if someone's comments that the wife can't understand with her inferior female brain.

This is just jaw-dropping, isn't it? This woman makes a careful argument about the origins and translations of the words Kelly uses to justify the argument, and Kelly claims it's too academic for her to understand? Sweet Jesus, does the commenter really need to spell out the words, "you are misinterpreting these terms and you're wrong?" for her to get it? At least Kelly's clear if you read between the lines - she would rather misinterpret the nuances of "headship" and "obey" because she's too lazy to engage in any reflection upon her stated beliefs.

Archived