IGNORED

What Marriage Means to Abigail

GeoBQn

Personally, I think everyone should have a civil union or register as domestic partners, whether gay, straight, whatever. (I don't even care if it's more than one person, as long as all parties are consenting adults). This way they're eligible for all the same benefits as anyone else. Since our government is supposed to be secular, this would be the only legally accepted marriage. Then, those with religious beliefs can choose to have whatever religious ceremony they want. Churches can choose who they wish to perform ceremonies for, thereby not violating their beliefs.

Okay, Abigail is confusing me a bit here. According to her chronology:

Born 1975. So she's 38 now.

1997: "in law school." Also, in "long-term" lesbian relationship. She's 22. Barely out of (Smith) college. Just how "long-term" can this relationship be?

2000: graduates from law school--probably. Law school usually takes 3 years, I think.

2001: married, age 26

2002: joins Catholic church, "nine months" after she married.

2007-2010: has "secondary infertility."

2010-2011: has two babies in 2 1/2 years.

Logically, then, she must have had the other three babies between 2001 and 2007. This is certainly possible. But when, then, did she "practice divorce law for four years," as she also states she did? It's just barely possible that she practiced law from 2000 to 2004, and then gave birth to her first child, followed by two more in the next three years. Or she might have (gasp) practiced law after having baby #1--thus--DAY CARE. But you'd think she'd mention that, wouldn't you?

I could be mistaken about any of this, as she is rather confusing. I wish she'd put up a complete chronology of all her sinful past life so we could check it out! I will say that I don't believe she was a "long-term" lesbian--or really, a lesbian of any kind. Pictures or it didn't happen!

She annoys me so much!!!! Shes just so obsessed with 'being catholic', it seems so fake. I'd rather read tales of Uriah's mechanical faults than Abigail's demented pretend Catholic drivel.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned my personal favorite part of the post. She feels secure in her marriage because she knows that if her husband runs off with his secretary, the Deacon in their parish promised to literally TAKE AWAY HIS COOKIES (Communion). Add excommunication to the vast quantity of things she doesn't understand the meaning of, like "secondary infertility" and "long term".

I don't recall if this has ever been posted at FreeJinger before (it was written in 2012), but I know I've read it once before. A Facebook friend just posted this, and I think ole' Abby needs to give it a read: blueberriesforme.wordpress.com/2012/04/19/i-support-gay-rights-because-i-am-catholic/

If she's so concerned about the status of marriage, why isn't she protesting divorce? That's a far bigger threat to marriage than gay people WANTING to get married. Surely marriage equality improves the status of marriage? I think that marriage is a good and holy thing, but it's because of that that I want it to be open to gay people.

I have wondered about that myself. But then it's much easier to persecute a very small percentage of the population (I think that something like 1-4% of the people are gay) than the whopping 50% of married couples who seek a divorce.

Conservatives and traditionalists are living in a fantasy land when they fail to realize there was much bigger forces at work here than gay marraige that are changing the cultural insitution of marraige- single parenting, divorce, blended families, stay at home dads, childless by choice etc.

My father paid off the catholic church so he wouldnt have to convert and my mother could continue being catholic, and have her catholic wedding.I wonder what Abigail would think about that.?

My son, who is gay, told me that he thinks that the reason that straights don't want to give them the right to marry is because they might be more successful at it than they are.

You're son is very wise! And he is on to something there!

Archived