IGNORED

What Marriage Means to Abigail

GeoBQn

Abigail comes out as "pro-marriage"--as long as it is between a Catholic man and Catholic woman who intend on not using birth control. She also claims that she was in a long-term relationship with a woman in law school.

abigails-alcove.blogspot.ca/2013/03/what-marriages-means-to-me-catholic.html

Well, every other contraversial topic is all about her, so why should this one be ANY different? Thankfully, she pretty much proves the main point. Her only argument against marriage is religious. Unless you can come up with something other than religion to object to same-sex marriage, you aren't making a compelling SECULAR argument on why the laws of a SECULAR government should abide by your religion.

I hope that in the next couple of weeks we are still in a culture that its okay to talk publicly about the beauty and dignity of a special heterosexual union called "the holy vocation of marriage."

I don't live in the US so I've obviously missed something - you're looking at banning the right to free speech some time in the next couple of weeks I take it?

Ridiculous, and as a religious person who sees nothing wrong with being gay, I really have a hard time understanding the uproar. No one is going to make a law that will force your priest or pastor to perform a marriage ceremony that is against your church's laws. "Holy matrimony" and "marriage" are two different constructs.

I like that in some countries you can have a church wedding but it doesn't count until you have a courthouse "legal" ceremony. It blurs the lines less.

Ridiculous, and as a religious person who sees nothing wrong with being gay, I really have a hard time understanding the uproar. No one is going to make a law that will force your priest or pastor to perform a marriage ceremony that is against your church's laws. "Holy matrimony" and "marriage" are two different constructs.

I like that in some countries you can have a church wedding but it doesn't count until you have a courthouse "legal" ceremony. It blurs the lines less.

Exactly. I am not Catholic, nor is my husband. The Catholic Church would have had every right to refuse to marry us had we asked. Churches will always have the right to refuse services to nonmembers, and churches can define their membership any way they want. (Churches have a certain amount of leeway regarding discrimination that businesses do not.) So nothing will change for the RCC, Abigail. Stfu.

I dont get why these people think Christians own the term marriage. If that was true, how come marriage is something that happens all over the world, even in non Christian religions, and that even atheists can get married.

I don't live in the US so I've obviously missed something - you're looking at banning the right to free speech some time in the next couple of weeks I take it?

Wow, Abigail is just so persecuted :roll:

Civil marriage is a civil right.

If gay marriage became legally recognized tomorrow it would not force any religious institution or religous worker to perform a marriage that they were against. My Rabbi would not marry me to my husband because he didn't believe in performing mixed marriaged. He was within his legal and personal right to do so.

Where is her self control? She said that she was going to give up blogging for Lent, so she could focus on her relgious life. I thought that giving up somethng that you enjoyed for Lent was a sign of a self sacrifice for the love of the Sky Pilot? Correct me if I am wrong.

Sure, it'll still be OK to talk about it, Abigail, just like it'll still be OK for everyone else to be annoyed as they are with every other person who drones on and on about their religion. News flash - non-Catholics really, really don't care about how special you find your marital vocation, or your sacrament, or your lack of birth control. Truly, we don't.

Where is her self control? She said that she was going to give up blogging for Lent, so she could focus on her relgious life. I thought that giving up somethng that you enjoyed for Lent was a sign of a self sacrifice for the love of the Sky Pilot? Correct me if I am wrong.

She clearly felt that talking about the true meaning of marriage was important enough to break Lent, just like buying junk at the "healthcare martyr" of Hobby Lobby was important enough to blow her budget.

If she's so concerned about the status of marriage, why isn't she protesting divorce? That's a far bigger threat to marriage than gay people WANTING to get married. Surely marriage equality improves the status of marriage? I think that marriage is a good and holy thing, but it's because of that that I want it to be open to gay people.

My son, who is gay, told me that he thinks that the reason that straights don't want to give them the right to marry is because they might be more successful at it than they are.

I don't know which would seem crazier that I was now a serious Catholic in 2013 or the Mother of 5 biological children

This just rubs me the wrong way. When you need to specify that your children are biological something is just wrong with the way you are thinking. When you feel superior for having biological children ("and I delivered every one", anyone?), you are just an ugly person.

I'm glad to know Abigail does not consider my non-Catholic marriage "real." I don't want to be even tangentially similar to this one.

She's fallen back on her pledge to stop blogging during Lent, but not her pledge to close comments until Lent is over.

She's fallen back on her pledge to stop blogging during Lent, but not her pledge to close comments until Lent is over.

Considering the response she's gotten to some of her recent posts, she might decide to turn that one into a new lifetime vow.

Sure, it'll still be OK to talk about it, Abigail, just like it'll still be OK for everyone else to be annoyed as they are with every other person who drones on and on about their religion. News flash - non-Catholics really, really don't care about how special you find your marital vocation, or your sacrament, or your lack of birth control. Truly, we don't.

There are even some Catholics who really, really don't care about how special she finds her marital vocation et al, either.

I think this Lenten season had events that were a bit juicy for Abigail not to pass up. IIRC, she blogged about the conclave. She is probably blogging because she feels needs to give a Catholic voice. I bet she is also pissed that some of her fellow Catholics have no issues with gay marriage.

Abigail comes out as "pro-marriage"--as long as it is between a Catholic man and Catholic woman who intend on not using birth control. She also claims that she was in a long-term relationship with a woman in law school.

St. Therese the Little Flower?

You're correct. Abigail sucks at Lenten Sacrifices. She shouldn't be blogging until Easter Sunday. She's one of those people who picks and chooses the days she's going to follow the rules. The rules only apply when they're convenient for her. However, she'd be the first person to belittle anyone else who broke their Lenten Sacrifice and call them a bad Catholic. Abigail is a douchecanoe. I'm telling Pope Francis on her.

Exactly. I am not Catholic, nor is my husband. The Catholic Church would have had every right to refuse to marry us had we asked. Churches will always have the right to refuse services to nonmembers, and churches can define their membership any way they want. (Churches have a certain amount of leeway regarding discrimination that businesses do not.) So nothing will change for the RCC, Abigail. Stfu.

Exactly, there are Catholic Priests who will refuse to marry couples if they find out the couple is living together. There are Catholic Priests who will refuse to marry couples if one of the partners isn't Catholic and will not convert. There are Catholic Priests who will refuse to marry couples who have children out of wedlock or if one of the people has been divorced. There are Catholic Priests who don't give a damn and will marry any couple who comes to them and has a desire to be married as long as they complete all the marriage prep classes and have their marriage license, etc.

Abigail needs to get down off her high horse and stop being one of those Catholics that I want to punch in the throat. And I'm Catholic. So, for me to want to punch another Catholic in the throat is a big deal. She probably also wears a headcovering during Mass. That shit's so pre-Vatican II. Again... throat punching.

Abigail....no one is taking away your rights. If they were, they'd be barring you from attending Mass. Mass is still legal and I presume you have no legal difficulty in attending; therefore, your rights are not being threatened, even if the gays do get to marry. Most gay people don't really want to see religion abolished, though they may not be a big fan of particular denominations personally.

However, you'd feel persecuted if you yourself were the one marching to Jerusalem on palm fronds and being hailed as a savior.

So, in closing, blow it out your ass, because that's all you'd take away from this message anyway.

Archived