IGNORED

So... What's for breakfast?

Conuly

I made my fiance breakfast cups for work this week. His coworkers went crazy over them.

Breakfast Cups

Makes 6 cups

4 eggs, beaten

1/8 cup milk

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teapsoon salt

1 1/2 cups PRECOOKED Simply Potatoes shredded hashbrowns (flavor is your choice)

6 slices bacon

Shredded cheddar cheese (or your choice) for sprinkling

Beat eggs, add milk, salt, and pepper,

HEAVILY grease cupcake tin with butter or cooking spray

Take bacon and wrap each one into a loose circle, making sure the bacon ends are pressed together. Push it into the cupcake tin and press it up against the sides so an empty circle forms in the middle.

Add 1/4 cup of shredded hashbrowns to each cup, and press them down with the back of a spoon.

Divide the egg mixture equally between the 6 cups. Use about 1/4 of a cup of egg mixture for each one. You want to make sure the egg mixture makes it to the bottom of the cup, so move the hashbrowns around with a fork until the egg mixture settles. If you don't, the eggs will just cook up and overflow.

Sprinkle the tops with as much or as little cheese as you like.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Wait until they cool and set to remove them from the muffin tins.

I LOVE breakfast food, I will eat it all day long if possible. However, right I am eating mostly just a scrambled egg with some meat and cheese, but I'll tell you some of the things I have eaten in the past. Please keep in mind that I eat a big breakfast, a smaller lunch, and tend to skip dinner or only eat a snack at night, so these are pretty high in calories.

blueberry pancakes with the blueberries mixed in and butter, no syrup.

breakfast taco/burritos. Scrambled eggs, salsa, cheese, served on a tortilla with optional onions, sauteed peppers and other veggies

southwester scramble - the above without the tortilla + some spices

french toast

cheese toast - just a piece of cheese melted onto toast, but it hast to be the right kind of hearty bread. My dad used to give me that with half a pear or a peach in the morning.

morning "pizza" - fried eggs topped with mozzarella, tomatoes, bacon and occasionally pepperoni

bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon, toasted of course

fruit and cheeses and deli meat

omlette with cheese and avacado

reindeer sausage, scrambed eggs with dill, and hash browns

biscuits and gravy with a side of fruit

breakfast burrito with eggs, turkey, avacado, bacon and cheese

breakfast sandwiches - eggs, various meats, cheeses on english muffins or breads or bagels

croque-monsieur/madam

eggs benedict

eggs Florentine

scrambled eggs with feta and spinach

oatmeal with dried cranberries and a banana on the side

last nights leftovers - there is no rule that you have to have breakfast food for breakfast

My favorite breakfast is an egg sandwich made with toast, egg over medium, tomato, spinach, and thinly sliced cheddar and pepper jack. I also love making an omelet with crab, sauteed onion, cream cheese, and spinach.

A sandwich with really thick bread, usually with some combination of egg (either fried or boiled and sliced), some sort of lunch meat, raw spinach, caviar (cheap and more or less a condiment in Russia), and cheese. Mmmmm.

Mini bagel with fried egg and 1/2 slice of cheese. Most of the time I make two of them. One for me, one for the middle kid. The other two kids like bagels with Nutella. Usually a banana as well, because I get leg cramps if I don't eat a banana a day, and morning is the only time I find them palatable.

I have two standard breakfasts. One is toast* with peanut butter (or ricotta, or mild goat cheese) and whatever fruit is around and appealing (anything from sliced kumquats to nectarine chunks to applesauce), sometimes on the toast, sometimes on the side. The other is yogurt with fresh and dried fruit, nuts, and a very crunchy multi-grain cereal. Sometimes I use a little brown sugar or jam, but the fruit itself usually provides plenty of sweet to balance the tartness of the yogurt.

I sometimes make breakfast stir fry or fried rice, if we have leftover rice for which I have no other plans. I have no insight into why cashews and celery appeal so much more to me than to anyone else I know in the morning, but there it is.

If only someone else would just make it for me, I'd happily eat polenta topped with vegetables and an egg once a week. But that's a lot of stirring first thing in the morning.

My absolute favorite breakfast that I actually do make: Take leftover roasted asparagus, and maybe some roasted peppers. Dress in mustardy vinaigrette. Place on toast. Poach an egg. Put it on top. Season with salt and pepper. Eat. :romance-hearteyes:

Oh, and I drink tea with whatever breakfast I'm eating. I especially like keemun mao feng, but if it has caffeine, has some actual aroma, and does not taste like bag, I will drink it.

*I love toast to distraction and can't imagine getting bored of it, but I am hella picky about bread. Some sourness is an asset, but if I can't taste the wheat (or rye, or buckwheat), I see no point.

Archived