IGNORED

Duggar birth order: who is most likely to rebel?

YPestis

Hannie has already been told that she cant play cowboys and indians. It was sad to her her brother talk about it on the couch interview.

What?! That's horrible!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also think Josh has had a beer or two on the down low, and perhaps John David and Joseph have even joined him in indulging--perhaps during one of their late night "gym" sessions.

I agree that Josh is regretting that he didn't "live" little more before getting married, and perhaps this is influencing his siblings--I think at least 4 of them are already older than he was when he married! It may be the only way they can think of to prevent themselves from having 19 children! [although at the rate they are going, Josh & Anna could still end up with 14-15 kids)

I keep thinking about that episode where Jinger said she wanted to live in a city. So few of these Gothardites live in cities--unless they go to Chicago and work at HQ. So maybe Jinger will do that in a year or two.

The younger ones are the most likely to rebel or leave Gothardism. The thing is all these kids have been drilled in their head that if they leave Gothardism they are bound for hell. Some may believe it more then others.

We don't really know how much of a threat to be cut off of the family entirely there has ever been made by JimBob.

I do believe Josh was some what alittle rebel or head strong while growing up. This explains his actions now.

I also believe if something was to happen to JimBob. Josh as then the head male of the family would write a tell all book. Why let any of his younger siblings get all that money and attention from a book. Unless someone breaks free and is determined to let the world know how the family really was. I don't see a tell all book for several years.

JimBob does have money and property in trusts and Michelle is also the trustee. I see her being the mother from hell if JimBob dies and she controls everything. The only person who may have a chance of getting what they want is Josh from Michelle. The others are kinda screwed. Unless they do what she wants.

One thing to bear in mind is that JB & M (and even Grandma) may be sitting on a lot of land and property that could keep them financially comfortable well into the future. We know that they rent homes and rest use of some land to the cell phone companies for a tower. NW Arkansas has been in a building boom for the past 15-20 years, and people will still pay bucks to get a certain block of land if it's deemed to be in a (potentially) high-traffic area.

Hubby has a boatload of friends who become quick millionaires just from land they/their families had bought in the 80s and 90s (at $2k an acre - a crazy bargain) and sold at a premium because Walmart brought in a ton of vendors to the area, and the new airport made it much more accessible.

It is quite possible that JB is sitting on land that hasn't been used yet. Even though a number of housing developments in progress now sit empty, land elsewhere in the area might become attractive to the right buyer.

One thing to bear in mind is that JB & M (and even Grandma) may be sitting on a lot of land and property that could keep them financially comfortable well into the future. We know that they rent homes and rest use of some land to the cell phone companies for a tower. NW Arkansas has been in a building boom for the past 15-20 years, and people will still pay bucks to get a certain block of land if it's deemed to be in a (potentially) high-traffic area.

Hubby has a boatload of friends who become quick millionaires just from land they/their families had bought in the 80s and 90s (at $2k an acre - a crazy bargain) and sold at a premium because Walmart brought in a ton of vendors to the area, and the new airport made it much more accessible.

It is quite possible that JB is sitting on land that hasn't been used yet. Even though a number of housing developments in progress now sit empty, land elsewhere in the area might become attractive to the right buyer.

Yup, totally agree. I think the money is going to play a huge part in what happens and if/when they rebel. As long as Boob is calling the financial shots, the kids are going to stay put and play their part. I think the boys will stay around because they will realize that they have no education or skills to make it on their own. I don't see the girls going unless they really don't want to get married. It's going to be very hard for the girls to go back to being "poor" when they have become accustomed to having nicer things.

Hello all! I'm new here, and haven't really gone digging in the Duggar threads, but I have a question semi-related to this thread... Isn't there a Duggar J'Slave (Love that term!) that's already sort of rebelling? I'll admit that I don't watch the show, but I find them fascinating for some strange reason. I had heard that there is a Duggar Daughter that isn't shown on the show much, and that she (GASP!) wears pants, but I may be confusing her with another Fundie Family. Is there such a Duggar?

Thanks!

Hello all! I'm new here, and haven't really gone digging in the Duggar threads, but I have a question semi-related to this thread... Isn't there a Duggar J'Slave (Love that term!) that's already sort of rebelling? I'll admit that I don't watch the show, but I find them fascinating for some strange reason. I had heard that there is a Duggar Daughter that isn't shown on the show much, and that she (GASP!) wears pants, but I may be confusing her with another Fundie Family. Is there such a Duggar?

Thanks!

Welcome! No, none of Jim Bob and Michelle's daughters wear pants. There is Jim Bob's niece (F)Amy who can be seen in some episodes. She does not belong to their religious cult and she dates, drinks, wears defrauding clothing, and does precious little else with her life.

But they love her anyway. :roll:

Welcome! No, none of Jim Bob and Michelle's daughters wear pants. There is Jim Bob's niece (F)Amy who can be seen in some episodes. She does not belong to their religious cult and she dates, drinks, wears defrauding clothing, and does precious little else with her life.

But they love her anyway. :roll:

That must be who I heard about. Thank you!

snarkykitty brings up a good point about Duggars having a lot of money via real estate investments. That combined with some of the TLC money will help them quite a bit. I can see issues over money happening when all of the kids reach adulthood. I think Boob will have difficulties setting up the younger boys in businesses in the future. I predict at least one business will fail. I also agree with funpal, I can easily see Michelle being the mother from hell if she is left in control of everything. There is something dark about Michelle. I can see her graciously giving money to her sons and daughter-in-laws to "leave and cleave". But she probably won't give money to her girls.

I believe some of the younger kids will go throw a hard phase after the TLC show ends. Boob is too much of a cheapskate to finance very expensive overseas trips. The younger kids like another poster mentioned don't remember the pre-TLC life living in the small ranch house while getting church handouts. I predict a few Duggar kids will become atheists or agnostics and if that does happen, I see Boob and Mullet becoming estranged from those kids.

Another thought... What happens to the Duggar kids in 5, 10, or 15 years may depend on what happens to Bill Gothard himself. Since he does not practice what he preaches, he doesn't have kids to carry on his ministry when he goes. Isn't he already in his eighties? Maybe Jim Bob plans to step into that role? If so, life will get a lot harder for those kids. but if ATI just sort of fizzles away, then the Duggar kids have a better chance in life.

There is only one property they bought that I can remember and they only have 2 commercial properties and the 2 businesses that actually belong to Jim Bob not his sons. That won't keep them going once TLC pull the plug. I don't see Jim boob socking away money for all more like for him and Michelle.

Isn't it Mary that has the real estate or has she given all to her son I hope not. It still won't sustain them all in the future that's for sure.

Resentment is coming and it will be a few years before the tell all book.

My question is what contracts have they signed as in the parents cos the kids haven't other than Josh and what are they bound by as what can TLC sue for cos you know they'll try that one. The kids are a different kettle of fish as they didn't sign a damn thing so can pretty much say what they want.

I assumed that David Waller wants to be Bill Gothard's heir!

Yeah, Jim Bob is definitely not in line to be a Gothard successor. The Duggars are beloved as the public face of Gothardism, but I don't get the feeling they're in Gothard's inner circle. Whoever's next in line is already working with Gothard at headquarters, but David's too young. You're looking for somebody in Chicago, mid-fifties, all kids married or at least no kids rebelling.

Or even unmarried no kids living at home with his parents in his 50's. Well it worked for old Bill didn't it.

As for Bill's successor, I think it'll be one of the Paine men. They're good-looking, well-spoken, and seem to travel within Gothard's inner circles. I also think David Waller is hoping he'll be Bill's successor.

I really hope Joy and Josiah get out. They seem the most unhappy. Even compared to how Jinger used to be - Joy seems even more unhappy and less like she is drinking the kool-aid. I just hope they can resist until they are 18 and can legally run.

Can I ask can they run now to someone else and Social Works being phoned if minors for help or would they just be shipped back to mum and dad. They have to know as they see some of the world that their world isn't it or only it surely or have they been guilted that much they don't want to run because of fear.

Can I ask can they run now to someone else and Social Works being phoned if minors for help or would they just be shipped back to mum and dad. They have to know as they see some of the world that their world isn't it or only it surely or have they been guilted that much they don't want to run because of fear.

I can't imagine that social services would do anything. They don't seem to be outwardly abusive - they have a roof over their heads, food to eat, clothes etc. If they are being physically disciplined I highly doubt it's to a level that would be considered abusive in their state.

CPS can't just come in and swoop up a bunch of kids who are receiving adequate care - especially famous well-off kids.

I'm having some difficulty understanding what you are saying. Perhaps you are on a smartphone that does odd corrections?

I really hope Joy and Josiah get out. They seem the most unhappy. Even compared to how Jinger used to be - Joy seems even more unhappy and less like she is drinking the kool-aid. I just hope they can resist until they are 18 and can legally run.

Jinger used to send off a sort of "get me out of here-- my family is whacked" vibe. She still does when she forgets to keep sweet. But she didn't come off as unhappy or depressed the way some of her siblings do.

To be completely honest, I dont see a reason for any of them to leave. When they participate in "the real world" none of them really enjoy it. They're cut off from the world just enough to find it uncomfortable but not enough to find it exciting and alluring. There have been a few glimpses here and there (like when the girls were flirting with the boy(s) at the Dead Sea) where there was a sort of allure of the outside world. But, in the end, they are just too out of place and I think they know it. Furthermore, they really have no reason to leave. Their family has a lot of money, they live in a huge house, they travel a lot, etc. What does the real world offer them? A real job? A mortgage or rent payment? A constant reminder of their lack of education? A severe lack of friends? A bunch of people who dont understand them/they dont understand? A bunch of people who are more than likely stalking them for their fame? None of that sounds appealing when you compare it to getting paid for hanging around your house doing nothing of consequence or traveling.

I also dont see any of them writing a tell all. For them to write a tell all, they'd have to admit there's something really wrong with their lives. And not just one or two things, but the whole package. The majority of their friends have the same values, similar family dynamics, and similar experiences as they do, so it's not like they're going to be "shown the light." Plus, of those they know who have left, how many of them have basically been written out of the family? When your family is all you really have in the way of constant companions, you're not likely to want to give that up. The same can be said for an abusive relationship: if your SO is the only person you see on a regular basis/the only person who is "there for you", you're not going to willingly walk away.

And, to be honest, even if the girls aren't thrilled with their lives/their religion/whatever, I dont see them leaving unless their husbands leave. From what I've read on the ATI movement, the family's religion is based on the man's decision. And while Michelle and Jim Bob may not be training the younger girls like they trained the older ones, the older ones will make up for that. We're watching that happen right now with Joy. Even if the girls are married off by the time the younger girls are "of age", they will still have been indoctrinated via observation. Their brothers, who have never had to cook, clean, or tend to children unless they wanted to, will not likely steer away from a good QF wife for fear of having to take on those responsibilities, and the older girls will have become good QF wives. Any and all role models they find will either be personally indoctrinating them or will be be emulating the desired results of the indoctrination.

I agree that Josiah and Joy seem the most unhappy and also agree that none of them are very likely to leave. I feel especially bad for Josiah. He seems a lot less sheeplike than most of his siblings and I don't think his daddy likes it one bit. I just don't see much affection there, while I do (to varying degrees) between JB and the other boys. Still, where would he or his siblings go if they wanted out? Could they stay with another family that has the same beliefs and would doing so help? I doubt they'd feel comfortable with people outside of their religious/social group.

While I completely agree with the notion that there isn't likely to be any overt rebellion, I also think that most of the Duggar kids will drift away from the lifestyle of their flaky, negligent parents.

The Duggars cannot be compared to any other of the fundies snarked upon out here. From Josh on down they have been exposed to far, far more of the outside world than your average cloistered Gothard follower or extreme fundie. Those kids have seen more of the planet and it's different cultures than many of us will ever see. Was it limited? Yes. But could everything be filtered out? Absolutely not.

I was 25 before I visited a country outside of North America and I returned feeling profoundly changed in ways that are hard for me to articulate to this day. I have no doubt that some of those kids have been just as profoundly affected and I wouldn't be shocked if their parents end up bitterly ruing the day they signed up to do the show.

Archived