IGNORED

Duggar birth order: who is most likely to rebel?

YPestis

James. He's always been the squeaky wheel, the heller, the loud one. He annoys J'chelle.

Why do you say he annoys Michelle? Has she hinted at that?

A little bit curious!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I truly believe that the vast majority of these children are NOT going to follow in their parent's footsteps. Call it rebellion if you like, but I think it's more likely that they will just grow up and discover that they can indeed think for themselves.

My mother is the oldest of 11 children - she grew up in a very conservative Catholic family. I have aunts who tell stories of my grandmother begging them on the day before their weddings to not use birth control (one aunt ended up with 4 children in 5 years). However, growing up conservative does not mean that it followed them into their adult lives. One of the 11 had a baby at 17, another ran away down to the states with a military man at 17, etc. Out of the 11, only my mother still identifies as a Catholic. Out of the 11, only one had 4 children, all others had between 1 and 3 kids.

So while a very few of the Duggars may continue to live as very conservative, devout Christian quiverfullers, I think that most of them will grow up to live a more mainstream life. As for the first to break away, it's hard to make a guess on who that will be - but all it takes is for one child to fall in love with somebody who daddy doesn't approve of and to say, "You know what dad, you can't tell me who I'm allowed to marry, I'm an adult, it's my decision." My guess is one of the three older girls, excluding Jill... she's just too far gone :s

Josiah is totally over it and out-of-there. I think he's getting bludgeoned night and day with Gohard-speak trying to make him into the right kind of man, but it isn't going to "take." I hope John gets out of there--even if he does stay close to the faith just let the young man live on his own already.

There has been a lot of discussions about Duggar kids rebelling and leaving the house and the cult.

What I really wonder is, how they would be able to support themselves, pay rent, find a job etc IF they leave. Now that makes me very worried. Poor, poor kids.

I'm also worried about the Duggars, especially the younger children as they're similar to other children raised in cults, in that they're not getting an education that will allow them to become successful in the outside world.

people have been predicting some great rebellion of one or more of the kids for years...at this point i'll believe it when i see it :lol: ...goes for courtship also!

:text-+1: But I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I hope that whomever does rebel is able to do something such as get cheap housing and employment assistance to get them started off (assuming they don't marry into a non- fundie family with resources of their own). Perhaps there's an organization similar to those that aid ex-FLDS members that can help.

It seems to me that Josiah's recent toeing of the party line might be his way of avoiding negative attention until he's old enough/able to bolt.

Why do you say he annoys Michelle? Has she hinted at that?

A little bit curious!

My general sense is that James taxes her patience. Her voice is slightly firmer, slightly lower, slightly more controlled in her conversations with him. It just strikes me that he's not a favorite, he senses this, and then he pushes the envelop (strays from the blanket and its training) in whatever ways he can. He doesn't buy the program. Watch him--you'll see that he tries to go along but he's often out of sorts, more than any of his brothers.

I'd need to do some rewatching to find the exact episode, but there's an example of Michelle controlling her patience in a recent 'season' (perhaps the most recent) where James and his trumpet are spotlighted for a few minutes and Michelle seems to be working to maintain her patience with him, his instrument, and his need to distinguish himself with it. As edited the sequence suggests that James got 20-30 minutes with his trumpet before Michelle told him to put it away. That trumpet says it all for me. The other kids play strings and keyboards, and their 'music' is welcomed and encouraged. I don't think any of the others has chosen a brass instrument. James chose to go his own way, to distinguish himself. And he says he chose it because 'it's loud like me,' a self-characterization that had to have come from being told or shown that he's loud. Loud, he draws attention to himself. Loud on that trumpet, in that house, he has a voice is unavoidably noticed. With it, he squeaks his wheel, and it annoys Michelle. With it, he breaks his blanket training and colors outside the lines, and this isn't lost on Michelle.

Michelle does commend James' adorable 'little face' during a birthday episode several seasons ago, and she chooses him to go along when Josie gets her traumatic vaccinations (James is there to cheer Josie up, but it seemed to me a backhanded compliment--he gets to be associated in Josie's mind with the hated doctor visit, shots, and pain). But otherwise in episodes over the years, we see James not quite fitting in. During school time, we see James doing anything he can do to avoid his schoolwork (not finding his book, glazed over in front of it, picking up toys, distracting others). In some of TLC's interviews with the howlers, James is more often annoyed with the whole schtick than his brothers. His identity and place in the family seems less positively defined than his brothers', and he seems more the odd man out. Josh is oldest. JD is now oldest at home and long partnered with Joseph. Josiah is appreciated for his comedy and fun-loving spirit. Jer and Jed have the twin thing going and one another. Jason, James, and Justin are a three musketeers, of sorts, but within that trio, Justin is recognized for his gentle thoughtfulness, especially with his younger sibs, and Jason is a likeable dolt. Jackson, of course, has Hannie.

I agree with other posters that, of the boys, Jer might step away--or Josiah, though he seems plenty much to need appreciation and approval from the tribe--but James is the one who will rebel most defiantly and, well, loudly. Of the girls, my money is on Joy.

(Edit: the recent episode with James and trumpet is "Duggars Dinner Party," ep 7 of the most recent season)

I agree with other posters that, of the boys, Jer might step away--or Josiah, though he seems plenty much to need appreciation and approval from the tribe--but James is the one who will rebel most defiantly and, well, loudly.

It's impossible to truly predict, but if I had to pick the one Most Likely To Become a Beer Drinker, I'd go with James.

It's impossible to truly predict, but if I had to pick the one Most Likely To Become a Beer Drinker, I'd go with James.

I'm chuckling and agreeing.

Of course, Josh has already proven himself most likely to develop a beer gut without drinking beer (unless he's got a secret keg tapped in the Hummer).

I just don't see Jana making a break for it. It seems like her spirit has been truly crushed. I'm voting for Joy-Anna and Josiah. Maybe Jinger can sneak out too.

There has been a lot of discussions about Duggar kids rebelling and leaving the house and the cult.

What I really wonder is, how they would be able to support themselves, pay rent, find a job etc IF they leave. Now that makes me very worried. Poor, poor kids.

Maybe we should set up a trust fund via paypal. At least it would get 'em a bus ticket or a tank of gas out of town. Seriously though could they escape to Deanna's or one of Mullet's siblings? I'd think one of them would help them out.

michelles people live in ohio and either would not likely want trouble with michelle and jim -bob or don't know these kids enough to take an interest in them to that degree-house them, help them get a job, an education and so on.

michelles people live in ohio and either would not likely want trouble with michelle and jim -bob or don't know these kids enough to take an interest in them to that degree-house them, help them get a job, an education and so on.

Considering Michelle's 'worldly' upbringing, I wonder if Michelle's people have been prevented from seeing the kids?

I see Hannie as the one who is so smart she'll figure out how to act like she's "keeping sweet" when she's actually sneaking out late to drink some Boone's Farm with some public school boy she met when Boob and Mullet were looking the other way. I hope Jinger and Joy get out. I think if one of the older ones get out, there is more hope for the howlers and the lost girls.

I think Josiah could also be a good bet on just getting fed up one day and telling Boob and Mullet to shut the F-up about keeping sweet and praisin' Jesus. He'll flip them the bird and walk right out the door. I think he'd be the one to make a documentary from all the TLC footage and write a book. He'd be on talk shows exposing all the Duggar Dirty Laundry. It would be super fabulous!

I like Feberen's idea about Jackson writing the tell all/filming his whole life,cause thats the best I can see for that child right now.I fear he may end up in prison someday,because Michelle&Daddy will never agree to put their kid on ritalin(or whatever he needs).He definitely stands out from the howlers,seeming to have some serious impulse control issues.&never having a chance to learn about the real world...doomed.

Im on a similar page with most everyone on Joy,Josiah,&Jana.And if Michelle does manage another survivor Josie is screwed.

Jessa may rebel if they try to marry her to someone who lacks $/position.

Since I barely know who Justin is,he may disappear.

I've been rooting for Jinjer,but starting to lose hope-the older girls are getting to her.

I've thought about this before, but I have a hard time guessing because I haven't really watched the show that much (more than 10-15 minutes of it bores me too badly). I hope we get a tell-all book, too. Some of those middle kids are bound to rebel.

The truth is, I don't think we have any way of knowing. Remember just a few years ago people were pretty sure Jinger would break free, but now look at her - towing the party line, BFFs with her sisters. Who knows? Maybe Joy will have her spirit crushed after all, like Jinger? I wouldn't put it past them. They'd send her on a Journey if they have to.

Here's what I think:

Josh: I feel like he'll get more fundie-lite over the years but he's not going to stop towing the party line. The man is completely brainwashed and doesn't even realize it.

Jana: She'll be unhappy, granted, but I don't think she has the ovaries to actually woman up and leave. She's just too submissive in nature.

JD: I see him becoming more redneck than fundie. Religion likely won't be as important to him as it is to his parents, but he's definitely not about to abandon fundie-ism. Like his twin, I don't think he has the guts or desire to defy his parents, he doesn't want to rock the boat. I feel like JD is going to develop some hobbies other than Jesus and live out in the woods with his (most likely fundie) wife and kids. I doubt he is going to turn fundie-lite though, I don't think he sees it as a risk worth taking (i.e. being excommunicated from his family)

Jill: This goes without saying. She's going to be a more intelligent version of Priscilla. She seems smart though, I feel like in any other family she'd be the goody two-shoes oldest child type, studying hard to be a doctor or something like that, and "set a good example" for her younger siblings. But nope - Jill is all about conformity and unfortunately this is what she was given to conform to. Sad.

Jessa: I feel like she is going to be married off to fundie royalty and stay fundie, then revert to fundie lite. I don't see Jessa losing her standard of living, she's pretty enough to have her choice (or her dad's choice) of the lot. I also don't see her having a zillion kids - she will probably go on birth control of some sort (likely condoms at the very most, however).

Jinger: I used to be sure she'd escape, and there is still a part of me that really feels like she isn't actually buying all the fundie nonsense. She's not really one to keep sweet, which is what I like about her - she's still feisty despite drinking more koolaid than I'd like. Still, she does seem to want to live in a city and I feel like she might - provided she works for Gothard's ministries - and then probably discover how awful they truly are and then bolt (I don't think she's submissive enough to buy into or put up with the crap like Priscilla). I see her becoming fundie lite or even potentially just ditching fundie-ism altogether - because to be honest she'd make a great hipster.

Joseph: See JD. Alternatively, I also see him as kind of a follower so if someone else he's close to (either Jinger or Josiah) decides to leave, he might just leave with them.

Josiah: For the love of all things good and holy I hope he leaves. I feel like once the show is cancelled the family will fragment somewhat and Josiah will slip through the cracks. I just don't see him being all that big on religion.

Joy: Out of all the girls, my money's on her leaving first. She's obviously uncomfortable with her whole deal. Alternatively, JB and J'Chelle might just intervene, unfortunately, and send her on a Journey or training center that scares her into submission, potentially making her into the perfect Fundie Wife (i.e. 360 degree turnaround) by guilting her about her "sinful tendencies".

Jed&Jer: Not too sure about them. They might just run off together. I feel like they have the best setup to do so.

Lost boys: I agree about James but I also actually think Jackson and Hannie might just leave together. However, since they're so young I feel like they'll be one of the later ones to leave so they'll already have been exposed to the example of their other siblings and bear witness to the fact that you can be happy living outside the cult. They'll ostensibly just be following their other siblings out the door.

Lost Girls: Could go either way. They may either become super-submissive because of their neglect, or they may just have enough and break free, eager to follow some of their older siblings in flipping their neglectful parents the bird.

Josie: If Michelle has another baby, Josie's transition from The Miracle One to just another lost girl will be traumatizing and potentially catalyze her escape and rebellion (Josie does seem to have a strong personality). If Michelle doesn't I can definitely see Josie being the poster fundie, probably SAHD who winds up taking care of her parents as they get older.

But yeah I definitely think we should set up a fund for the Duggars in case they want to escape. Someone needs to see them at one of their events and maybe slip Joy or Jinger a letter with the info about it. We might also want to look up organizations for victims of religious abuse. I'm sure there are a few who would be willing to help. The least we could do is inform them about it.

I hope hope hope that Joy & Josiah will leave. I think they need to go together, then possibly Jinger & Jessa (if they're not married off). I bet a fair # of the howlers will leave or at least be fundie-lite. I am hoping all the lost girls leave, and I hope Josie isn't stuck caring for ageing parents. I think JD will marry a fundie-lite girl in a few years & live a quiet life.

I hope Jana gets out, but she seems so, broken almost. I don't have cable & only see snips & bits online. I commute past ATI HQs on Mondays & when she was there, I was tempted to pull over & offer her our spare bedroom. I think it's almost too late for her to get out & lead a "normal" life:(

I hate to say it, but I'm still not convinced that Josie will be ABLE to take care of aging parents. I think she's going to end up with one of her older sisters as a per anent child. For permanent SAHD/ martyr, my money's on Jordyn. She's desperate for attention and young enough to feel guilty about leaving Jim Bob, Michelle, and Josie.

I think the younger the Duggar, the better the chance of getting out, especially once the TV cameras and Jslaves are gone. Rim Job and the Uterus don't have the skills to actually parent a dozen or more children and adolescents simultaneously. By the time the lost girls are reaching that experimental/rebellious adolescent stage, JB&M will have been checked out for a while and any discipline/oversight at the ol' TTH will be woefully lax.

One thing's for sure-- it's going to be VERY difficult for Jim Bob and Michelle to rein in all those howlers and lost girls. There are so many of them and they're used to running wild. Once they reach a certain age, I can see Jim Bob telling them it's time to put away childish things and assume a more mature (and gender-appropriate) role. But if Josiah and Joy are any indication, it won't go over well. Those two are old enough to remember their more structured and disciplined pre-TLC lifestyle. The same is likely true for Jed & Jer. But from Jason on down, none of those kids is old enough to remember living in the crowded little ranch house with the Maxwell chore schedule on the wall. They only remember the Tinkertoy House.

One thing's for sure-- it's going to be VERY difficult for Jim Bob and Michelle to rein in all those howlers and lost girls. There are so many of them and they're used to running wild. Once they reach a certain age, I can see Jim Bob telling them it's time to put away childish things and assume a more mature (and gender-appropriate) role. But if Josiah and Joy are any indication, it won't go over well. Those two are old enough to remember their more structured and disciplined pre-TLC lifestyle. The same is likely true for Jed & Jer. But from Jason on down, none of those kids is old enough to remember living in the crowded little ranch house with the Maxwell chore schedule on the wall. They only remember the Tinkertoy House.

Hannie has already been told that she cant play cowboys and indians. It was sad to her her brother talk about it on the couch interview.

I wish we could fast forward the next few years and find out NOW.

I can't stand to watch any more of their repetitive inane episodes, but I don't want to miss the train wreck I've been praying for. Thank Jod for FJ.

I think the older girls will all marry on the fundie to fundie lite spectrum. I can see Jessa going for a Tim Tebow type. Jill & Jana will probably go for pastors. I'm counting on Josiah & Joy Anna to make a run for it, write the memoir, and fund their college studies with a Duggar's Gone Wild TLC Special. I think the rest will live relatively normal lives, minus Smugs who will never get over his daddy issues. I think Michelle will purposely stunt Josie so that she's perpetually infantilized & clingy. And ugh, I always forget James. His name is just so normal.

Archived