IGNORED

You've got to read it to believe it... Abigail Cries Poor

Koala

abigails-alcove.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-benefits-of-poverty-finding-sweet.html

I would like to commentate, but I don't even know where to start. This woman is unbelievable!

Abigail~ You are NOT poor. You DO NOT live in poverty. You mismanage your money. Poor you are not. In poverty you do not live. Mismanage your money you do.

You feed your family fast food. You buy yourself expensive instruments and "treats". You have just finished redoing your kitchen. You are buying heaters. You are buying wall art for your daughter's room (WHILE COMPLAINING THAT YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT GROCERY MONEY AND KEEPING YOUR BABIES WARM ENOUGH) because you need her to know Jesus loves her and apparently the only way you can convince her of that is to buy her a sign to tell her so :shock:. You are buying your way into poverty. You are spending your childrens' grocery money on junk. This is not a test sent by the sweet 8 lb. 7 oz baby Jesus or mommy Mary. This is self inflicted. If your husband approves of you buying wall art and McDonald's when you don't know how you'll buy groceries then he's part of the problem too.

Oh, and quit complaining about your dad. He sends you credit cards because he knows how impulsive you are and he doesn't want his grandbabies going hungry. I'd do the same thing in his shoes.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like she's essentially saying "We are so bad at managing money, it's easier when we just don't have any." Which is a really irresponsible position to take if you have children. Take a money management class, I guarantee there's one offered in your area, Abigail. :roll:

Abigail isnt poor, she is irresponsible and has no idea how to manage money. Her priorities are obviously in the wrong place, choosing expensive stuff for herself, wall art and redoing the kitchen over heat and food for her children.

Every further post on $$ from Abigail makes me more convinced that she needs to sit down with a financial counselor, not a spiritual one. Her posts on poverty and debt are downright bizarre.

That was a pretty crazy post. It is crazier than the post from last summer about the swim meet and then not having money for groceries.

That is NOT poverty. That lady is the biggest crackpot, wack-a-doo I have ever heard of. She cant wish herself into poverty fast enough! :x

If I was her dad, I would send things to her kids that they need. In this situation if your heat isn't working you need to use Dad's card to pay for it and then pay him back. She really needs to learn to manage her money better. Her kids deserve to eat and have heat before mom gets a cello and other musical instruments paid off. Does anyone know what an eco-heater is?

The part about Hobby Lobby made me dry heave. She would rather "support the HHS martyrs," as she puts it, than make sure her kids are adequately fed.

What. The. Fuck. I have never seen anyone more incapable of simple logic that Abigail. Even within the confines of a Jesus-grants-me-his-special-attention mentality, she is off her nut. She prays to god in fear because she has no money to heat the house or buy food for her kids, and she walks out to the car and literally finds money in her mailbox in the form of a gift/interest-free loan from her father. Does Abigail see this as an answer to her prayer? No! She's just being tested and god wants her to pass on the money :doh: What is the point of praying if you're going to refuse to accept the answer to the prayer?

And her husband is no better:

Last year, my husband kindly asked me to please stop using my father's credit card to pay our family's expenses. My father had added me as an authorized user to his credit card account. I had the card, he payed my bills. It was supposed to be used for emergencies--but it became one of those emeshed, vague situations with unexplained rules and unforeseen strings attached. I felt the temptation to use it often. My husband also explained that to him, it felt like a form of disrespect from me. My husband wants to be the one responsible to pay the bills for our family. It was like I was still attached to my Dad mentally instead of "leaving and cleaving" to attach with my husband.

YOUR CHILDREN DO NOT DESERVE TO BE COLD AND HUNGRY FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR PRIDE, YOU IGNORANT JACKASS. If you want to be responsible for paying your family's bills, then quit putting incompetent Abigail in charge of the finances and actually pay them. These people make me RAGE.

Maybe Abigail should get financial advice from ZsuZsu or some other fundies. Some of the fundie bloggers seem to manage money pretty well and sometimes they do cut a lot of corners(e.g. Life in a Shoe). I can't see Zsu or Kendull mismanaging money like Abigail does. Zsu does a lot of practical things like food canning. I don't see Zsu's kids ever going hungry.

I also wonder if Abigial's dad will ever reach some of breaking point where he gets fed up and stops helping them. I think he is mostly helping because of his grandchildren.

Is she maybe being passive aggressive? Her husband asked her not to use Daddy's credit cards anymore, and it pissed her off. So now that they're truly desperate and a new card shows up, she decides to do exactly what her husband said to teach him a lesson. Cloaked, of course, in all her religious nuttery.

She is not poor. She is spoiled, entitled and whiny.

That she even HAS a father who can send her an American Express card and happily tell her to spend as she wishes is clear evidence that she comes from a significantly upper class background and can afford to be irresponsible financially. She may not be using Daddy's credit card, but I guarantee Daddy provides for her and the kdis in other ways, likely helped purchase the home she lives in, and is ALWAYS there in a TRUE financial emergency.

That is NOT living in poverty. She's just too spoiled to grasp even that.

She's also too spoiled to grasp that 69 is NOT cold for a house in winter and 59 is not a dangerous situation AT ALL. My parents kept our heat at 55 when I was a child to save on heating costs. Parts of my house drop down to 58-59 in the coldest nights. I'm not getting new heaters. I just bought thick, warm comforters for my kids for Christmas.

Except, of course, Abigail has a DOWN COMFORTER--even for a full size bed that's well over $200. Probably bought by Daddy dearest along with everything else.

What a stupid bitch! First, 59 degrees inside isn't cold. We had a cold snap same time, it was down into the teens, and my house (old, drafty thing that it is!) got down to 55 in the main part, my bedroom is the coldest in the winter, it was probably 50. Everyone wore sweaters and slippers and we put the space heater in our bedroom. No big woop.

2nd $11 on Mcdonalds?!? $13 on a Jesus sign?!? 2 weeks ago that combined amount was my grocery budget, for 5 people. She blew that money and claims "poor". She has a bad day and spends $40 on treats? God, I just want to slap the shit out of her.

Poor people do not get a bonus and make the kitchen pretty!

BTW, Abigail, did you ever get the baby socks???

The poor grandfather; he just doesn't want his grandchildren to starve.

Seriously, though, he should send them grocery store gift cards.

Is this bitch for real? I dare her to try and live for a week on an actual poverty salary. I did it for a week for a sociology project. She'll shut up real quick. I personally think everybody should do it once.

I know it's not always this simple - but if you are short of money, don't go shopping! We were in a bit of a pinch after Christmas, so for the whole of January, my husband and I have spent nothing apart from mortgage, bills, groceries and petrol. No meals out, no take-aways, no cinema, no 'treats'. Really, it's not that hard. Just a month of being careful and we have almost cleared our Christmas debts.

And if she thinks she's cold, she can try living in my house. We never, ever have the heating on at night and rarely put the temperature up above 20 degrees C (68F) in the day. That sort of temperature just doesn't feel cold to me. :?

She has a second post about poverty up now.

I don't even know what to say. I almost want to leave a comment telling her that she's not poor, she mismanaging her money and it's hurting her family. She might not publish it, but at least she'd see it. I'd probably only be adding to her martyr complex, though. It's so frustrating to watch her - she has pretty serious emotional and mental health issues, is selfish and has a huge persecution complex, and her husband is a total, total enabler. It's sick.

Wow. This is the first time I've read that blog.

She's got herself a shopping addiction and poor financial planning. She gets a little extra money and must blow it right away. That is not poverty. People in poverty don't take their kids out to fast food, spend $ at Hobby Lobby and buy $190 worth of heaters in one outing. For around the $11 she spent at McD's, she could have bought ground beef, buns and some veggies and made hamburgers at home. Probably more food and healthier.

I used to be like this. I now have every penny budgeted from my paychecks. Grocery money, gas money, bill money, savings (401(k) and money market accounts), eating out money and blow money. Every dollar is allocated and when that money runs out, no more spending on that category. If I have a $100 eating out budget for two weeks, I have to make the choice of whether we go out once and blow it all on a very nice steak dinner or do we spread it over a few casual dinners.

She sounds like she's trying really hard to convince herself of something. I'm not sure exactly what. All that crap about gifts not really being gifts . . .

"you are given a gift, but this gift still belongs to them. You only have "use" of the gift for a specific time and a specific purpose. Usually this limit is unspoken and applies to mysterious things that are not self-evident, such as used crib sheets as opposed to heirloom jewelry."

Wha? I don't get this.

And what is all this Carmelite stuff? You're not a nun, Abigail. You're a wife and mother. Time to get off the computer and out of the prayer closet and go wipe some noses and butts.

2nd $11 on Mcdonalds?!? $13 on a Jesus sign?!? 2 weeks ago that combined amount was my grocery budget, for 5 people. She blew that money and claims "poor". She has a bad day and spends $40 on treats? God, I just want to slap the shit out of her.

I spent less than she did on her treats and Jesus sign for the last two weeks of food for myself, another adult, and three very hungry boys. That whole couponing thing does have a few benefits, and we have a great locals sale market. I suppose we legally qualify for poverty levels but I find it hard to claim that such when we still have everything we need easily.

Sorry. I'm not feeling fabulous about unemployment today, and this drivel makes me want to blow big rays of sunshine right up her impoverished [redacted] ass.

The poor grandfather; he just doesn't want his grandchildren to starve.

Seriously, though, he should send them grocery store gift cards.

I was thinking the same thing. One of my cousins lost a job in the computer industry in California a few years back. He got a severance package and had some savings. But my cousin also had mortgage payments and he has a daughter with his ex. My uncle and aunt stepped in and told him to focus on paying the bills, child support, and mortgage and they would help with groceries and other household necessities, if he needed it.

With Abigial, she and her husband are in really bad spot which is due largely to mismanaging money. If I were her father, I wouldn't send them a credit card. I would send them gift cards to stores because one of the main concerns should be food for the kids. I can see Abigial using daddy's credit card to cover her cello rental. I also bet her mom who she dislikes helps her out in some ways too.

Is she the attorney who doesn't work outside the home or do I have the wrong blogger?

Archived