IGNORED

Impromptu Meeting of the Arndt Boys

0 kids n not countin

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that dad has a speech impediment, and the kids mimic it, because it was what they were taught (like Jodi Foster in "Nell"). I know someone like this, she has a very odd speech impediment that makes her hard to understand, and her son picked it up when he was little and had to go to speech therapy to un-learn it (he would say things like "dha-arr" for "star" at about 8). He still has an odd "accent", and not the eastern NC accent of those around him, at 13, but it is very much improved.

This kind of happened to me. Not a speech impediment, but my mum is from London and speaks with a London accent (especially when she is excited or upset) and my auntie used to live with us when I was little and she speaks with a very strong Cockney accent. I have lived my whole life in Scotland and speak Scots to some extent (and think in it). My accent therefore is a car crash of rural Scottish and London and gets me mocked on a regular basis. I sound Scottish to all English people and English to all Scottish people. And if I had a pound for every time I get asked "where is that accent from" I could probably buy a fucking yacht by now.

It's a difficult one. It tends to isolate you to some extent (although in my case it amuses me, it didn't when I was younger). If the Arndts are speaking in what sounds like a weird country dialect way (I can't tell) that must reduce their chances for dating or make people wonder "What is up with these guys?"

This kind of happened to me. Not a speech impediment, but my mum is from London and speaks with a London accent (especially when she is excited or upset) and my auntie used to live with us when I was little and she speaks with a very strong Cockney accent. I have lived my whole life in Scotland and speak Scots to some extent (and think in it). My accent therefore is a car crash of rural Scottish and London and gets me mocked on a regular basis. I sound Scottish to all English people and English to all Scottish people. And if I had a pound for every time I get asked "where is that accent from" I could probably buy a fucking yacht by now.

It's a difficult one. It tends to isolate you to some extent (although in my case it amuses me, it didn't when I was younger). If the Arndts are speaking in what sounds like a weird country dialect way (I can't tell) that must reduce their chances for dating or make people wonder "What is up with these guys?"

This happens to me! We should pool our money and buy an even bigger luxury yacht.

Archived