IGNORED

Duggar Snacking Secrets

Visionoyahweh

So its flakey pastry in a can? Why is Jchelle flattening them? Defeats the object of using flakey pastry. Why not just make up some shortcrust? Going on the list of ingredients in the canned stuff, homemade shortcrust is easy and doesn't have all that crap in it.

Real from scratch short crust would be too much work for J'chelle. It is not hard at though once you learn how. Of course, I've also made croissants from scratch from Julia Child's recipe. Yes, it was a ton of work, but totally worth it. So delicious!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I make a mean whiskey and coke steak pie. My husband and FIL actually licked their plates clean when they thought no one was looking.

I have made Nigella's ham boiled in coca cola. Pretty damn yum.

FIL did this overnight in a slow cooker for last Boxing Day. Oh my god it was amazing.

I'm hungry now :lol:

That dumpling looks pretty darn tasty. I've marinated meat in Coke before. I read an interview with a Cuban celebrity years ago (buggered if I can remember their name) and they said something about their mum using Coke to cook meat when the family first moved to the US.

Honestly? Coke chicken is glorious. Although you feel pretty sick afterward. Still, totally worth it.

I actually made this because I was intrigued.

I made a few changes for common sense's sake. If you do not toss apples with a bit of flour, they get runny and make the bottom of the pastry soggy. Instead of baking the dumplings in a bath of soda pop, sugar and butter, I mixed the butter, apple and cinnamon, then cooked them a bit so they caramelized. I put that inside the dumpling with the apples because plain baked apples are not very tasty.

I used the canned crescent dough and baked as instructed, pulling it out and pouring Mountain Dew over them after 1 minutes. The Mountain Dew ran right off them so there was a puddle of it in the pan, but that caramelized when it baked. I spooned that over the dumplings as I took them out.

They were very good. The Mountain Dew gave an interesting tang. Not unpleasant at all! My children loved them.

There were way too many apples for the three cans of crescent dough, btw. As with a lot of this recipe, it just shows that Michelle does not cook, even from a can. It does not occur to her that the apples need something to absorb lost fluid, or that you need something with flavor inside the dumpling. Things that I thought of.

These not homemade. They are nothing like the apple dumplings I sometimes make that are *actually* homemade. The way I make apple dumplings is to peel and core an apple, leaving it whole. Place it on a large circle homemade pie crust or puff pastry. Fill the center with cinnamon sugar, letting it overflow a bit. Put a pat of butter on the top and then pull the pastry up around it. Seal, do an egg wash, and bake at 350 until the smell is unbearable. That is a homemade apple dumpling, but Michelle's recipe is more of a "caker" recipe.

Oh, I took a picture. As you can see, it is pretty decent looking but nothing you would pull out for a special occasion:

21781_10151128061647544_1775523541_n.jpg

edited to fix photo

That looks pretty yummy. Still what I call a turnover though. :lol:

I'm constantly amazed and horrified at the types of recipes they use, especially when you consider the fact that they have a huge industrial kitchen with every possible convenience, and a boatload of slave-daughters who are "in training" to be homemakers. I mean, they can't get an education or a job because they're much too busy at home practicing all their homemaking skills, like...like what? Whacking open a tube of refrigerated dough and pouring Mountain Dew all over it? It's mind-boggling.

I'm constantly amazed and horrified at the types of recipes they use, especially when you consider the fact that they have a huge industrial kitchen with every possible convenience, and a boatload of slave-daughters who are "in training" to be homemakers. I mean, they can't get an education or a job because they're much too busy at home practicing all their homemaking skills, like...like what? Whacking open a tube of refrigerated dough and pouring Mountain Dew all over it? It's mind-boggling.

I posted a photo of my creation on Facebook with a note something like "Autumn baking in the laziest possible way." It was tasty but I am consistently surprised at what they consider baking. If a heathen mom can whip it up between work, school and making fun of Linduh Wildebeest on Facebook, it should not be noteworthy in a home with several unoccupied adult females.

I can see maybe 7up or Sprite but Mt. Dew is so... heavy tasting. I can't believe it wouldn't make the apples taste weird. Anybody ver try it?

or fruit fresh, It's usually in the section near the pectin.

I generally grab whatever vitamin C (Cirtic Acid) is most handy and quickest at that moment.

I recently found an interesting way to keep an apple from browning that I want to try. Core the apple, slice the apple, puzzle piece the apple back together and wrap a rubberband around the apple. Might work. It works for a banana to wrap it back up in the skins to keep it from browning.

This is how crescent rolls are 'made'

cGl45jDJcbU

They come flat already and you have to roll them to make the crescent shape.

They made a video for that?

I think when she was talking about 'flattening' it was b/c she put that you could use biscuits (from the can) or the crescent rolls(from the can). If you use the canned biscuits, you'd have to flatten them.

I've had this recipe before. I thought the Mt Dew would be nasty, b/c I hate Mt Dew, but it was really really good. Healthy? Nope. But we have treats here some, so it's not a big deal.

I am not familiar with Mountain Dew. What kind of taste is it?

And I also would call that an apple turnover, not a dumpling. I made real dumplings (flour and suet) to go with a casserole for dinner tonight. I was very greedy and ate three of them.

I am not familiar with Mountain Dew. What kind of taste is it?

And I also would call that an apple turnover, not a dumpling. I made real dumplings (flour and suet) to go with a casserole for dinner tonight. I was very greedy and ate three of them.

It is overly acidic and citrus, kind of like Lemon Lysol.

Obviously I do not drink it. Blech. But it was good on the dumplings/turnovers/whatever you want to call them!

I occasionally make pot roast or brisket with Coke. It adds a bit of sweetness to the meat, but it also tenderizes it like whoa. By the time it's out of the braise, it's so tender I have trouble lifting it to a plate because it's falling apart. Sooooo delicious. We call it Atlanta Brisket-- Atlanta, where the Coke company has it's headquarters. :)

A chef on my local NPR cooking show actually admitted he cooks brisket in a Crock Pot this way: Put some sliced mushrooms into the Crock Pot. Lay the brisket on top, fatty side up. Sprinkle it with a packet of Lipton's onion soup mix. Pour a 12-oz. can of Coke over it. Cover it with a circle/oval of parchment paper, and cook till tender. De-fat the juices and thicken them to make gravy.

I thought this sounded revolting, but I decided to make it anyway--and it was freaking HEAVENLY. No one would guess that Coke went anywhere near it!

I wonder if they can actually use that industrial kitchen that Boob was so proud of. Real restaurant appliances are not up to code for homr installation; they need the electrical up to industrial code and yiou will have to upgrade your fire insurance because true restaurant ranges are not covered in homeowner's policies. It may be true, too, that they can only use the industrial kitchen for the home church. Restaurant-style ranges like Wolf and Viking are manufactured to meet residential code and insurance regulations.i

A chef on my local NPR cooking show actually admitted he cooks brisket in a Crock Pot this way: Put some sliced mushrooms into the Crock Pot. Lay the brisket on top, fatty side up. Sprinkle it with a packet of Lipton's onion soup mix. Pour a 12-oz. can of Coke over it. Cover it with a circle/oval of parchment paper, and cook till tender. De-fat the juices and thicken them to make gravy.

I thought this sounded revolting, but I decided to make it anyway--and it was freaking HEAVENLY. No one would guess that Coke went anywhere near it!

Its not the coke.... its the low low heat and the onion soup mix. I make my brisket the same way only instead of coke, I throw red wine in. Its phenomenal. one of my best friends puts ketchup in the crock pot with the brisket- that, my friends is amazeballs.

My husband regularly braises (I think?) ribs and such in Coca Cola, and I make a mean Coca Cola cake, but I will never put Mt Dew in/on my pastries. Especially if I'm going to feed them to my already hyperactive children. It's amazing to me how they're able to take everything to a new level of unhealthy.

So its flakey pastry in a can? Why is Jchelle flattening them? Defeats the object of using flakey pastry. Why not just make up some shortcrust? Going on the list of ingredients in the canned stuff, homemade shortcrust is easy and doesn't have all that crap in it.

Crescent Rolls are also sometimes called Butterhorn rolls. They're not flaky like a croissant even though they're the same shape. They're more of a bready kind of roll.

What do these people do all day that they can't possibly be bothered to actually make something from scratch? Their canned food usage makes me sad. I used to make a mean apple pie for thanksgiving every year when I was teenager, and I would make my own dough too. I would think a biscuit dough recipe wouldn't be much more difficult than that. Plus, I would think that would be a good learning tool - measuring and converting (how many fluid ounces in a cup, etc).

What do these people do all day that they can't possibly be bothered to actually make something from scratch? Their canned food usage makes me sad. I used to make a mean apple pie for thanksgiving every year when I was teenager, and I would make my own dough too. I would think a biscuit dough recipe wouldn't be much more difficult than that. Plus, I would think that would be a good learning tool - measuring and converting (how many fluid ounces in a cup, etc).

Ditto on the learning tool. I'm constantly amazed by how lazy the Duggars are. I used to really believe that they were decent, hard working people who were just a bit too zealous about their religion. I'm a college educated 22 year old woman and I still know how to make a pie crust from scratch. There is no reason those girls can't learn too.

A lot of times I buy processed crap, because its cheap and easy, but I try to make stuff from scratch and eat healthy for the most part. But its funny because you get so used to something. "I have apples! I'll make a pie. But...I dont have a frozen pie crust :? So I guess thats out"

But those frozen bisquit doughs all still have trans fats, and those are terrible for you. Bisquick has that too. But you can make your own:

http://faithfulprovisions.com/2012/02/2 ... -bisquick/

Now thats a helpful fundie site.

My grandma used to make dough and puff pastry herself but then decided that the frozen stuff was easier and just as good. But, she uses the sheets of puff pastry dough or phyllo dough. She also makes kreplach using wonton wrappers instead of making her own pasta dough now too. Anyhoo, her puff pastry concoctions are still amazing. The difference between the puff pastry sheets, or frozen pie crusts are that they aren't very different from being made from scratch except that you don't have all the rolling and rising to deal with.

On the other hand the canned biscuit and crescent roll are obnoxious. They have a greasy consistency and just taste like they are machine made. I would think that if you're going to make apple dumplings/turnovers that it wouldn't take a great deal of extra effort to use puff pastry sheets. Then again could the Duggar women be so unskilled that they don't know about them? Or is it too much work to defrost and slowly unroll the sheets? (the sheets are convenient but they still take some skill to use).

Its so easy to cook from scratch (or nearly so). I've been doing it while working crazy hours and going to school (6 classes). AND I don't have a kitchen at the moment because we're renovating. So I've been working with a toaster oven, single burner, and microwave. Despite that I could still make a lovely baked pesto salmon, or frittata or pot of tuscan white bean soup. I cannot imagine the luxury of TWO well appointed kitchen, no job, and grown daughters who were dedicated to cleaning and taming the children.

I think Michelle just hates cooking, and passed it off to her daughters as soon as possible, teaching them in turn to hate cooking. Can't blame those girls for not wanting to put the effort into cooking for 20 people every night.

Archived