IGNORED

Duggar Snacking Secrets

Visionoyahweh

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 cans of biscuit dough and 3-4 apples?

even before the Mountain Dew that's junta nutritional disaster. I wonder if she counts it as one of the kids "5 a day"?

Apple Dumplings is not where I thought it was going to go.

I do sometimes use sprite or 7 up to help keep sliced apples from turning brown in lunch boxes. I do prefer to use 100% juice with a good vitamin C content.

Apple Dumplings is not where I thought it was going to go.

I do sometimes use sprite or 7 up to help keep sliced apples from turning brown in lunch boxes. I do prefer to use 100% juice with a good vitamin C content.

You can always buy citric acid (vitamin C powder) at the drug store and mix a teaspoon with a cup of water to dip them.

A lemon, you know a real lemon, squeeze it. Wow they find ways to use unhealthy that is mind bending.

I think dumpling is different where I am from. They sound like what I would call Apple Turnover. A pastry type thing.

Dumpling (to me) is made with suet and a shed load of apples and sugar. The combination is designed to rot your teeth and clog your arteries served hot with real custard.

Good for the soul.

You can always buy citric acid (vitamin C powder) at the drug store and mix a teaspoon with a cup of water to dip them.

I'm lazy I just mash up a vit C tablet and mix it with water.

Guest Anonymous

You can use anything acidic. The change in pH denatures the enzyme that helps the apple turn brown. I tend to use lemon juice (usually from a bottle), but you could use anything. You could use vinegar if you wanted to! When it comes to baking, I honestly don't mind using a splash of bottled lemon juice. Once it's cooked, you can't taste the difference.

Mountain Dew or other citrus soda is a very common way to make apple dumplings.

That's true, a similar recipe was once posted on Pioneer Woman's blog, someone who also has a large crowd of leghumpers.

or fruit fresh, It's usually in the section near the pectin.

That's true, a similar recipe was once posted on Pioneer Woman's blog, someone who also has a large crowd of leghumpers.

Yup, I was just going to post that. I knew I'd seen Mountain Dew in an apple recipe on her blog. Course, it probably wasn't hers either, she rips off a lot of old(er) recipes.

I actually made this because I was intrigued.

I made a few changes for common sense's sake. If you do not toss apples with a bit of flour, they get runny and make the bottom of the pastry soggy. Instead of baking the dumplings in a bath of soda pop, sugar and butter, I mixed the butter, apple and cinnamon, then cooked them a bit so they caramelized. I put that inside the dumpling with the apples because plain baked apples are not very tasty.

I used the canned crescent dough and baked as instructed, pulling it out and pouring Mountain Dew over them after 1 minutes. The Mountain Dew ran right off them so there was a puddle of it in the pan, but that caramelized when it baked. I spooned that over the dumplings as I took them out.

They were very good. The Mountain Dew gave an interesting tang. Not unpleasant at all! My children loved them.

There were way too many apples for the three cans of crescent dough, btw. As with a lot of this recipe, it just shows that Michelle does not cook, even from a can. It does not occur to her that the apples need something to absorb lost fluid, or that you need something with flavor inside the dumpling. Things that I thought of.

These not homemade. They are nothing like the apple dumplings I sometimes make that are *actually* homemade. The way I make apple dumplings is to peel and core an apple, leaving it whole. Place it on a large circle homemade pie crust or puff pastry. Fill the center with cinnamon sugar, letting it overflow a bit. Put a pat of butter on the top and then pull the pastry up around it. Seal, do an egg wash, and bake at 350 until the smell is unbearable. That is a homemade apple dumpling, but Michelle's recipe is more of a "caker" recipe.

Oh, I took a picture. As you can see, it is pretty decent looking but nothing you would pull out for a special occasion:

21781_10151128061647544_1775523541_n.jpg

edited to fix photo

Yup, I was just going to post that. I knew I'd seen Mountain Dew in an apple recipe on her blog. Course, it probably wasn't hers either, she rips off a lot of old(er) recipes.

I really do not get the Pioneer Woman appeal. This recipe reminds me of her Dr. Pepper (or coke?) pot roast recipe. :?

Eta. Emmie your finished apple dumpling looks great!

I've seen brisket recipes that use coke or a similar soda. I'm not entirely sure of the reasoning if it's just flavor or if it has something to do with the acidity of soda.

I have a friend who makes a crockpot meatball dish with grape jelly. she didn't tell me until I ate several of them. I never would have known.

So its flakey pastry in a can? Why is Jchelle flattening them? Defeats the object of using flakey pastry. Why not just make up some shortcrust? Going on the list of ingredients in the canned stuff, homemade shortcrust is easy and doesn't have all that crap in it.

This is how crescent rolls are 'made'

cGl45jDJcbU

They come flat already and you have to roll them to make the crescent shape.

So its flakey pastry in a can? Why is Jchelle flattening them? Defeats the object of using flakey pastry. Why not just make up some shortcrust? Going on the list of ingredients in the canned stuff, homemade shortcrust is easy and doesn't have all that crap in it.

I've made a similar dish without the mountain dew before, and you sort of need to flatten the dough to get it to cover the apple pieces. Once you cover it with all the liquid, it's not flaky anymore anyway.

I've made the Mountain Dew/crescent roll apple dumplings and I think they're good. They are not as perfect as from-scratch ones, but it's a quick and easy recipe that can be adapted for size. Nice to whip up for a treat since we don't usually have dessert. Mine didn't get overly liquidy, but emmiedahl's suggestion to coat the apples in some flour beforehand is a good one.

I'm not above using convenience foods from time to time (hell, I even buy mac & cheese boxes for the salsette to make when I have to work through dinner), but it's the "from time to time" that is the key. Not the regular diet of prepared-food with crap in it (also, there are more natural and organic versions of a lot of easy-fix foods like Mac & cheese).

I really do not get the Pioneer Woman appeal. This recipe reminds me of her Dr. Pepper (or coke?) pot roast recipe. :?:

I occasionally make pot roast or brisket with Coke. It adds a bit of sweetness to the meat, but it also tenderizes it like whoa. By the time it's out of the braise, it's so tender I have trouble lifting it to a plate because it's falling apart. Sooooo delicious. We call it Atlanta Brisket-- Atlanta, where the Coke company has it's headquarters. :)

Archived