IGNORED

Akin ad features rape victim

AtroposHeart

Rep. Todd Akin is out with a new ad featuring a supporter who says she was raped and had an abortion.

Akin, who is trying to unseat Democratic Senator Claire McCaskill in Missouri, found his campaign in turmoil and faced a wave of criticism after an August television interview where he suggested that women rarely become pregnant after a “legitimate rape.â€

In the ad, a woman named Kelly says she is a single mother, and “a woman who has had an abortion, I’ve been raped in the past.â€

“The reason I’m voting for Todd and I’m so proud of him is because he defends the unborn. He’s a kind man, he’s a compassionate man, he has so much integrity,†she says.

Rick Tyler, a spokesman for Akin, would not comment on the placement of the ads or which markets they would be running in. McCaskill has maintained a steady 5- to 6-point lead in most recent Missouri polls, although Akin’s campaign says the race is much closer.

“The latest public poll by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch … had Todd 2 points behind Claire McCaskill,†Tyler told POLITICO on Wednesday. “That’s remarkable considering she has spent a record amount for Missouri on negative advertising. She has thrown the kitchen sink at Todd yet we are even.â€

While national Republican committees have insisted they would not be spending money on the race after Akin’s comments, his campaign and the Missouri Republican Party are launching a nearly $700,000 TV ad blitz in the final days of the election.

It is unclear if any of the national committees provided the funds for the advertising.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-congre ... html?hp=r3

Interesting, she's had an abortion and been raped, but didn't say that the latter caused the former, which is consistant with Akin's claim that "legitimate rape" doesn't cause pregnancy. How many women did they have to interview before they found one who's history included rape and abortion? Did they only interview single women (cause married women never get abortions :roll: )? Why did she have to tell us she was a single mother?

The whole things reeks of "I'm not an anti-semite, my accountant is Jewish" type excuses.

The whole things reeks of "I'm not an anti-semite, my accountant is Jewish" type excuses.

This whole war on women reeks of that.

This whole war on women reeks of that.

This. "I love women - they give birth to people like me and Jesus Christ." :angry-cussingblack:

Also, being able to get pregnant at a time that is not rape does not mean that one cannot get pregnant while being raped. The inverse of a truth is not always true.

Interesting. Reminds me of every Christian that swears they were a Wiccan in high school,and that Wiccans and Satanists are the same thing. And that by experimenting with the Occult,they were exposed to demonic entities that made them listen to KISS or,for the Y generation crowd,Marilyn Manson. And also made them join Covens and almost sacrifice someone because that's what Witches do. And the only way they could get out of it was to convert to Christianity and burn their black fishnets. :lol: So believable. :roll: And if she really was raped,then I feel badly for her not only because it happened to her,but because she's been so brainwashed.

Why the flying fuck isn't Akin 100% behind in the polls?

I wish I knew. As often as he's stuck his foot in his mouth, it amazes and depresses me that people still support him. We had a bundle of Republican fliers left on our door today. Akin's talks about defending our freedoms, which is a trip considering his enthusiasm for taking away my freedom.

I have noticed locally that even the yards with a wide assortment of Republican signs won't have an Akin sign - I can only think of one Akin sign that I've seen at all. Even the local candidate - Tea Party member, conservative guy - who supported Akin's comments doesn't have an Akin sign in his yard, just his own sign and a Romney/Ryan sign. (There are Obama & McCaskill signs on either side of his house and across the street, which amuses me for some reason.) It gives me a little hope that he won't win, although I'm in a small liberal bubble surrounded by a mostly-red state.

I wonder if Kelly was perfectly ok with her abortion before finding religion and hearing week after week that women who aborted teh baaaybeez were evil and destined for hell. Eventually she would have broken down, turned to her pastor for help, been told that she was a slut and a whore and pretty much everything else fundies think about women and forced to repent like hell. Meanwhile the pastor passed on her details to the Akin campaign on hearing that it was looking for someone to parade around as its scarlet fundie.

Not sure if that's how it played out, but I do believe that without all the lies and moralising surrounding what is, essentially, a simple medical procedure, that women who'd had abortions wouldn't really think of them after the fact.

Archived