IGNORED

How True Christians (TM) handle whooping cough

meda

So the antibiotic thread made me think of this....Brandi at Nursery of The Nation is dealing with an in house epidemic. All 9 of her children have whooping cough. The most severe case would be her 6 month old, who has been hospitalized. She mentions vaccinations, so I am not snarking on her for failing to vax. I'm also not snarking on the fact that this must be very stressful and she has asked for prayers. I just find her series of posts on this so odd. For one, she attributes the baby's recovery to prayer. Period. The End. No mention of the doctors or hospital staff who have cared for her child. In fact, she takes several swipes at them and her pediatrician, whom she describes as "thorough enough, but I think she is about 13". Then there was this at the end of her list of prayer requests:

5.) Kind, compassionate medical staff. Our pediatrician here is like, 13 or something. But she seems very capable, thorough and cautious. 6.) That we would stay ever ready, even in trial, to share the love of Jesus with the unbelievers we meet here. So many have crossed our paths that have no hope within.

Really? You plan on witnessing to the "unbelievers" who are working to keep your child alive? The arrogance just astounds me. Some the comments are also special, since many of her readers dislike anything smacking of modern medicine

I've been praying for all of your family since I first saw the post on visionary womanhood yesterday. God keeps bringing you to mind. Call a local chiropractor. Sometimes there are some natural remedies that can help boost the immune system specifically for pertussis.

'm glad to know your daughter is doing better.

We had whooping cough a few years ago, and by God's grace we fared pretty well. I'll spare you all the details and a long post, but it suffices to say that God blessed us by turning us on to Aloe. Our whooping cough was much milder and shorter than anyone from church who also had it. If anyone is interested in hearing our story, you can find it at earthclinic.com and maybe put in some keywords like aloe asthma. I wrote a long post there

nurseryofthenation.com/

Were all the children seen by a pediatrician, or did Bambi diagnose the remaining kids after the baby was admitted to the hospital?

I was one of those kids who was on the double blind pertussis vaccination study when I was 17. So was my younger brother. We've also done a follow up study. My mom (a well educated nurse) didn't let us do the study because they were going to pay us money to do it, she let us do it because she knew that the vaccine would save lives.

People who don't take vaccinations seriously irk me.

That being said, I won't ever take an MMR vaccination ever again unless absolutely needed. Last time I got it my arm went numb for hours and I couldn't use it for almost a day.

I don't understand her beef with the pediatrician if the woman is "capable, thorough, and cautious". What else are you looking for? The woman went through years of med school and residency.

And how do these people determine that people have "no hope within". If she's talking about the doctors, they're just busy. If she's talking about patients, you're at a freaking hospital. Chances are someone they love requires urgent care. Obviously they are worried and upset. I'd definitely snap at someone who tried to witness to me at the hospital.

Emilymea, was the numbness caused by the vaccine itself? I have a phobia of needles and have had the day-long numbness/loss of movement before. A nurse told me it was because they hit a tensed nerve when drawing blood, so I think that can happen with any needle.

Edit: day-long numbness, not dumbness. oops.

I have no needle phobias and was really relaxed when I got the shot. The Dr. said it was most likely a reaction to the vaccine. I've had mild reactions to vaccines in the past (swelling, numbness, and dizziness in matter of minutes after receiving the shots). I never had a reaction like I had that day.

My old Dr.'s ok with me not getting a MMR again. I don't know what a doctor would say now about me getting a booster. If a Dr. said that it would be low risk for reactions given my past history and I had some other medical indication for needing one I would MAYBE take the risk again.

My family also has a history of bad reactions to various vaccines - and we haven't isolated which component actually makes multiple people in my family ill. I'm talking numbness radiating up the shoulders and violent illness following different vaccines. (Not an "I feel crummy for a couple days" kind of illness, but a "where's the prescription anti-nausea meds so I don't end up in the ER" kind of illness._

Emilymea, was the numbness caused by the vaccine itself? I have a phobia of needles and have had the day-long numbness/loss of movement before. A nurse told me it was because they hit a tensed nerve when drawing blood, so I think that can happen with any needle.

Edit: day-long numbness, not dumbness. oops.

I haven't had numbness of the whole arm, but I did get numbness of part of it after an allergy shot. The nurse also suggested that they'd accidentally hit a nerve. It felt kind of plasticy. (I wasn't nervous, since I was going in twice a week at that time)

And as I've mentioned before, even though I tend to be icky and grumpy for a day or two after a vaccine (the effects of the flu shot are just now wearing off, which will make it a pain to sleep tonight since I slept off and on this afternoon), I keep up to date because I'm a teacher and live on an acre with all sorts of wildlife, plus my own animals, and a previous owner who buried garbage in the yard.

Archived