IGNORED

Terrorist Bombing in Norway - Right Wing Fundie MERGED

Alecto

I'm reading 91 dead this morning. :(

It's 84 at the youth camp and 7 in Oslo. Or so the BBC says, anyway.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How horrible.

Has anything been said about the killer's background? Was he involved in any groups that are known to be dangerous? It's difficult to believe that he acted alone.

How horrible.

Has anything been said about the killer's background? Was he involved in any groups that are known to be dangerous? It's difficult to believe that he acted alone.

Yes, yes and yes

How horrible.

It seems like he acted alone. He was not involved in any dangerous groups. However: "The arrested man, Anders Behring Breivik, is described as belonging to a right-wing environment. He is against muslims and a multi-cultural Norway, but has not been punished before. According to Oslo's police chief, he is a "Christian fundamentalist", a description he uses of himself on the Internet.

http://mylittlenorway.com/2011/07/terro ... shootings/

This is a blog of an Aussie expat in Norway that I read. She is updating the latest info they have there, and has left all the earlier stuff, so we can see how things progress. Started with "experts saying it was Islamatic" and now we see stuff on this guy doing both, and him being a right-wing Christian fundamentalist.

Note, she is most definitely NOT a fundie.

Here's more info. Sorry for the bad translation.

Anders Behring Breivik has been active online in various forums that criticize multiculturalism and Islam. Site document.no have collected all his remarks on the side for some years. There, he pays tribute to nationalism, but chooses to call himelf a cultural conservative. He writes that it is hypocritical to treat the Nazis, Marxists and Muslims different. They are all supporters of hate-ideologies, he believes.

The forum invites him to struggle against the multicultural society and he calls them cultural Marxists. As one of the four points that must be met, he mentions to develop an alternative to what he calls the violent Marxist organizations, where he mentions the Red Youth (the Red Youth were also on the island).

He votes for the most conservative candidates in church elections and has worked for the Norwegian Progress Party for years, something that the party has confirmed. He is a member of the Masonic Order Johannes-logen St. Olaus T.D Tre Söiler. I have no idea what that is (never heard of).

It seems like he acted alone. He was not involved in any dangerous groups. However: "The arrested man, Anders Behring Breivik, is described as belonging to a right-wing environment. He is against muslims and a multi-cultural Norway, but has not been punished before. According to Oslo's police chief, he is a "Christian fundamentalist", a description he uses of himself on the Internet.

What the heck is it going to take before government agencies across the world wake up? People who spew hatred are not being watched like they should be. Enough of this politically correct crap and freedom of speech. They lose their rights when they blog about their hatred for another group, or put up hate filled You Tube videos, or picket the funerals of soldiers. Some day, Steven Anderson will have his turn. He is another hate filled time bomb waiting to explode.

I can't even find the words to articulate my thoughts on this. I'm pissed as hell on top of being saddened and appalled.

Hate has its roots in every and any belief system, whether political, cultural, racial or religious. Combine any and hell comes to earth.

Here's more info. Sorry for the bad translation.

Anders Behring Breivik has been active online in various forums that criticize multiculturalism and Islam. Site document.no have collected all his remarks on the side for some years. There, he pays tribute to nationalism, but chooses to call himelf a cultural conservative. He writes that it is hypocritical to treat the Nazis, Marxists and Muslims different. They are all supporters of hate-ideologies, he believes.

The forum invites him to struggle against the multicultural society and he calls them cultural Marxists. As one of the four points that must be met, he mentions to develop an alternative to what he calls the violent Marxist organizations, where he mentions the Red Youth (the Red Youth were also on the island).

He votes for the most conservative candidates in church elections and has worked for the Norwegian Progress Party for years, something that the party has confirmed. He is a member of the Masonic Order Johannes-logen St. Olaus T.D Tre Söiler. I have no idea what that is (never heard of).

He was a free mason

They are saying this is the largest "spree" killing in history. Is a spree killing committed with only guns? I don't really consider this a spree killing due to the bombing involved. I also believe there are more people involved in this than one guy.

So tragic. According to the MSN homepage, the suspect is believed to be a right-wing, fundamentalist Christian.

They are saying this is the largest "spree" killing in history. Is a spree killing committed with only guns? I don't really consider this a spree killing due to the bombing involved. I also believe there are more people involved in this than one guy.

Bombings aren't 'sprees'. I believe the concept of spree, as in 'killing spree' is direct human involvement/actions with guns (or other weapons). Seven died in the bombing. 84 in the killing 'spree' on the island. (Last I read, at least).

Whatever terms or classification, it is horrific and I have had an extremely difficult time wrapping my head around it.

Guest Anonymous
So tragic. According to the MSN homepage, the suspect is believed to be a right-wing, fundamentalist Christian.

Well, colour me surprised :roll:

I'd like to know how it's the evil, gay-loving, abortion-providing, liberals and democrats who are the dangerous ones?

Are there any stats out there on whether or not there is a more common values system shared by these types of people? Because all I hear about the dangerous ones is "fundamentalism, fundamentalism, fundamentalism".

We should have a new tagline - "Guns don't kill people. Fundamentalists do."

So. Incredibly. Tragic.

Well, colour me surprised :roll:

I'd like to know how it's the evil, gay-loving, abortion-providing, liberals and democrats who are the dangerous ones?

Are there any stats out there on whether or not there is a more common values system shared by these types of people? Because all I hear about the dangerous ones is "fundamentalism, fundamentalism, fundamentalism".

We should have a new tagline - "Guns don't kill people. People do."

So. Incredibly. Tragic.

You don't have to be a Right winger. Plenty of killing going on by all people

Guest Anonymous

Oh, I know that. That's not what I was trying to say, really. I kind of wonder, though, if fundamentalism maybe attracts the type of people who are already unhinged enough to commit these types of atrocities? It seems to me like it might.

Well, he listed himself as a free mason. That doesn't necessarily mean he was one.

I personally feel that anyone who buys massive quantities of fertilizer should be checked by the police. This is not the first time this has happened. I know it was would be a hassle for farmers and things but we inconvenience ourselves in other ways to stay safe.

Oh, I know that. That's not what I was trying to say, really. I kind of wonder, though, if fundamentalism maybe attracts the type of people who are already unhinged enough to commit these types of atrocities? It seems to me like it might.

No question about it.

I know extremists come in all stripes but I think perhaps we underestimate Christian fundamentalists and other right wingers. I mean these are people (even the "normal" ones) who openly profess that people who do not believe as they do should have no rights. I think we should be more cautious of these types of people instead of writing them off as the village idiot or just crazy.

I would not be in the least bit surprised to see more "christian" fundamentalist types becoming more violent here in the USA. We have the Palin and Bachman types calling for "second amendment" solutions to social change in the USA. We have Lou Sheldon (Traditional Values Coalition) and Bryan Fischer (American Family Association) and other right wing religious leaders calling for armed revolts to take back America and establish a theocracy here. Eventually some of their followers (many of whom are better armed than the military or police) are going to take them literally and start the revolution.

To me, he looks like David Duchovny + Eric Northman (from True Blood) minus sex appeal, logic, sanity, etc. Creepy dude.

My Norwegian flag is flying on my front lawn. Thankfully, the Oslo residents I know are all safe. Horrible tragedy. Proof that crazy comes in all creeds, colors, classes, and ideologies.

I wondered how long it would take for this site to pick up on the 'christian fundamentalist' aspect of this. We talk every day about what people in this country are doing to their kids, and how they are raising a more and more conservative right winged generation. Is this what will happen one day? Violence in an attempt to fight back against all that they see as 'immoral'? Yes, there is certainly a huge element of 'he was flipping crazy' about this Norwegian man, but this isn't the first time that violence has broken out in Europe over (let's be truthful here) the influx of Muslim immigrants who are having children so much faster than Europeans. I don't think that there is a 'solution,' as they aren't going to be able to successfully have people stop reproducing, or immigrating (while the right wingers in this country are trying to out produce all the 'heathens' as well), until we fix the root of the problem. As long as the Middle East is a hotbed of war and instability people are going to try to flee. Most of my middle eastern friends would love to go back to their homeland but it isn't safe. This entire situation is just sad. There is so much hatred, prejudice and mistrust, when people just really want somewhere to live in safety.

Thoughts on the future of European multiculturalism?

Soemone I know knew the guy who did the Amish shootings a few years ago. She knew him very well and had just had to dinner a few weeks before the shooting. You guessed it, Christian Fundamentalist.

According to the internet, Norway and the surrounding countries are very liberal when it comes too religion, gender roles, and lifestyle choices. I guess fundies hate this to the extreme. They probably see all of the Scandanavians to be absolute heathen. :snooty:

I would not be in the least bit surprised to see more "christian" fundamentalist types becoming more violent here in the USA. We have the Palin and Bachman types calling for "second amendment" solutions to social change in the USA. We have Lou Sheldon (Traditional Values Coalition) and Bryan Fischer (American Family Association) and other right wing religious leaders calling for armed revolts to take back America and establish a theocracy here. Eventually some of their followers (many of whom are better armed than the military or police) are going to take them literally and start the revolution.

Exactly. The Tea Party and the Republicans have had an influx of people who are more and more right wing and a lot of them have ties to Christian nationalist groups. I'm reading, The Kingdom Coming right now and I have to say the more I read about the web of this extremely vocal minority, the more unnerved I feel about them.

Archived