IGNORED

Terrorist Bombing in Norway - Right Wing Fundie MERGED

Alecto

This guy may have acted alone but he didn't arrive at his mindset alone. He's a self-identified Christian fundamentalist. We all know about the rhetoric in those circles. The hatred of people with differing views. The certainty that they alone are right and everyone else wrong, sinful or bad. The notion that God speaks only to them and works only through them. The idea that anyone who fails to practice the "right" religion in the "right" way will be punished one way or another. They elevate their every whim to God's will. The thoughts, needs and circumstances of other people are unimportant.

I believe that people with this mindset can easily be pushed to violence. They hold their fellow human beings in such contempt.

Keep in mind, too, that there are a multitude of Christianities out there. One person's Christianity is about peace. Another's is about holy war. Sure, the Bible says "thou shalt not kill". It also has numerous examples of God killing people on a massive scale (or people killing people with God's approval). The Bible contains so many contradictions, you could use it to make just about any argument you want.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that in order to have such hatred, he had to dehumanize the victims in his brain. That way, in his thinking, Jesus' words wouldn't apply to them.

I'm not sure. It doesn't always work that way.

There isn't usually active hatred for specific people. Active hatred during the attack actually destabilises a terrorist and makes him or her far less useful.

However I doubt strongly he was thinking about Jesus's words even slightly as he carried out his attack. It seems he thought about it as a practical but undesirable task, like taking out cat litter (I'm just thinking of something I hate doing...) and he doesn't seem to have been especially malicious, even sparing some who begged for their lives. This is a classic mindset and why he was so effective.

There is a category of terrorists who regard their victims with pity but they tend not to engage them one on one to kill them, using methods like gas (Aum Shinrikyo are one example of this.) I suspect some, not all, of the 9/11 terrorists fell into that category. He certainly did not but I'm waiting to hear more of his thinking at the time.

how about security profiling for fundamentalist christians, not just muslims and sikhs?

wearing a frumper and having a zillion kids gets you patted down at security, pulled over on the highway, diverted to countries who will torture you in the name of interrogation.....

how about security profiling for fundamentalist christians, not just muslims and sikhs?

wearing a frumper and having a zillion kids gets you patted down at security, pulled over on the highway, diverted to countries who will torture you in the name of interrogation.....

Because that makes things so much better. :roll:

It doesn't seem like any actual potential terrorist is caught very often. The only thing this will achieve is alienating innocent people who are devoted to their faith, it will only feed the fundamentalist Christian persecution complex, and actually drive some particularly crazy fundies into terrorism.

Your suggestion that fundamentalist Christians be sent to countries to be tortured is particularly disturbing.

Guest Anonymous

Because that makes things so much better. :roll:

It doesn't seem like any actual potential terrorist is caught very often. The only thing this will achieve is alienating innocent people who are devoted to their faith, it will only feed the fundamentalist Christian persecution complex, and actually drive some particularly crazy fundies into terrorism.

Your suggestion that fundamentalist Christians be sent to countries to be tortured is particularly disturbing.

I could be wrong, but I read that as sarcasm/hyperbole. Not like fundifugee was actually in favor of those things, but that they were pointing out the disconnect between how people who read as visibly Muslim are treated versus those who read as visibly fundie Christians.

I could be wrong, but I read that as sarcasm/hyperbole. Not like fundifugee was actually in favor of those things, but that they were pointing out the disconnect between how people who read as visibly Muslim are treated versus those who read as visibly fundie Christians.

Yes, that.

I have on occasion when with family had to listen to the hyperbole on Fox News and various Christian radio stations about the evils of Islam. Pretty much everything they describe are extreme examples from fundy Islam.

I would like an Important Press Person to do a report on the evils of [fundy] Christianity -- oppression of women, beating children, bombing stuff, etc.

So, it looks like that Anders Behring Breivik's manifesto was directly ripped off from the Unibomber. l

Oh my... Great minds think alike, but fools seldom differ?

Archived