IGNORED

Maxwell fantasy: What would happen if...

Hane

One of the wives went full-tilt rebellious? I think Melanie would be the most likely candidate. Suppose, one day, Nathan came home to find a TV in the living room and a satellite dish on the house, and she simply said, "I'm home with three babies all day, and I'd like to catch a show once in a while." Or, "How do you like my new jeans? I dropped the kids off with your sisters and went to the Gap." Or even, "I went to the doctor for a checkup, and he fitted me with a diaphragm. I've given birth four times, and I figure I'm about done."

Picture her blithely and matter-of-factly going about her business, and not taking the bait when he gets shocked/ticked off/self-righteous.

What do you figure would happen then?

You would hear a scream of joy coming a small town in New Jersey and that person would be me!! I would be so happy if that happens. I have looked through the posts on their blog and Melanie went from a happy person to a not so happy person really FAST!! I also get the impression that she might want to stop having kids and Nathan probably says no way!!

As much as I hope this happens one day (and I agree, Melanie's the most likely suspect), I doubt we'll ever hear about it on the blog. I imagine that there'd be a marked decrease in coverage of that branch of the family. If the issue was resolved to Steve's satisfaction, we might get an allusion to a "difficult season" in N&M's marriage, from which they emerged "stronger than ever." If they went the other direction, however, I imagine we just wouldn't hear much about the family any longer.

One of the wives went full-tilt rebellious? I think Melanie would be the most likely candidate. Suppose, one day, Nathan came home to find a TV in the living room and a satellite dish on the house, and she simply said, "I'm home with three babies all day, and I'd like to catch a show once in a while." Or, "How do you like my new jeans? I dropped the kids off with your sisters and went to the Gap." Or even, "I went to the doctor for a checkup, and he fitted me with a diaphragm. I've given birth four times, and I figure I'm about done."

Picture her blithely and matter-of-factly going about her business, and not taking the bait when he gets shocked/ticked off/self-righteous.

What do you figure would happen then?

DUDE

The Baby Jesus would cry (that's a given.)

Uriah would cry. (that's a given..he smells freedom.)

Diaphragm. You will kiil people with that word. Best to use AK47..Kinder..you cruel person you :shock:

I hope they are happy. They have such lovely kids . They do look happy This in no way condoning their lifestyle and GOD forbid they do it to the wee girls.. But I get why you are saying it :)

Guest Anonymous
The US Postal Service would be immediately bogged down with all the cakes that FJers attempted to send to Melanie.

I would send her a cake. And some marshmallow vodka. (Many thanks to emmyfair for turning me on to that stuff - nectar of the gods.)

This is just a vibe I get with no actual data to back me up, but I think if Melanie decided she was wearing pants, getting an IUD, and sending the girls to school, after the initial shock Nathan would just say, "Yes dear". :dance:

Nathan seems to be less fundie than his crazy father. I think that at the beginning he would be shocked, but after a while he would accept it. And I do hope his little girls get an education! A PROPER education.

I think the Nathan and Melanie are waaaay less fundie extreme than their parents. I wonder if Steve likes the girls to go over there to "help" so they can report back to him what goes on over there...

Nathan seems to be less fundie than his crazy father. I think that at the beginning he would be shocked, but after a while he would accept it. And I do hope his little girls get an education! A PROPER education.

Jesus Christ himself would be less fundie than Steve Maxwell.

I think the Nathan and Melanie are waaaay less fundie extreme than their parents. I wonder if Steve likes the girls to go over there to "help" so they can report back to him what goes on over there...

This. He's still doing stuff like Scamaritan Ministries, but I wonder if on stuff where he's not in danger of being called out, Nathan might be more relaxed.

Melanie does appear to have the best chance of escaping that crazy family. She has her own large family who appear fundie-lite in their lifestyle choices. I always thought Nathan was a pretty decent husband for Melanie (for a fundie guy). I believe that if he saw Melanie slipping away from the crazy Maxwell lifestyle, he may slowly allow it. After his marrigae, I did notice he stopped participating in Steve and Teri's dog and pony show except to pimp out his ITonRamp. Given that he now has his own family, I believe he will favor his wife's beliefs over his father's. He lives with his wife, he has three children by her, he does "his own" Christian ministry with her....I think Steve's hold on him will not be as tight just because of those ties. Steve may try something to prevent Melanie from pulling away, but he would have a hard to stopping it as he wrote in his own books that a man sometimes have to shelter his own family from relatives who differ in their viewpoints.

As another poster pointed out, most likely the Maxwells will make less mention of Nathan and Melanie if they go fundie-lite. If the two comes back to the Maxwell fold, they will mention "God's trials" and how they passed becoming stronger Christians. Otherwise, Steve will just pretend nothing is wrong. The Maxwell is big on living 'controlled' lives. They like to control their image, to show the perfection of their way of life. They probably see Joseph's broken engagement as a very public humiliation. They won't want to show showcase any break from their way of life within their own family.

I can only hope that Melanie and other future spouses of the Maxwells will see the family for what they are and make a break from them, taking their children away from that type of influence.

This is just a vibe I get with no actual data to back me up, but I think if Melanie decided she was wearing pants, getting an IUD, and sending the girls to school, after the initial shock Nathan would just say, "Yes dear". :dance:

I know, right? My thoughts exactly.

Funny thing, Melanie looks the spitting image of my mom when she was younger, so I have a soft spot for her, as well as high hopes. It does seem like she'd be the type to smile sweetly and nod to Steve and then toss his bullshit out the window as soon as the doors close after him. I would not be surprised if the Lord sees fit to close her womb after thislast baby, with the quiet help of her physician.

And to be honest I think that Nathan's children might play a role in him going fundie lite, especially if they don't have a boy. I think he sincerely loves his family and eventually will oppose Melanie risking her health and life for more arrows, and I think he'll see his daughters' need for education and independence as he watches them grow up without the shadow and/or "protection" of brothers (IMO that was the saving grace of the LiaS girls' childhoods and a large factor in them being able to be quite so adventurous and rambuctious as children).

Or I can hope, anyway.

Their kiddos seem incredibly happy and joyful...I mean those girls are always smiling. To me, this means that their lives are already more fun than the older Maxwells.

I kind of call bs on the whole "Abby prayed that Nathan would take her back to see the chipmunks but didn't ask" thing in CO last year. I'll bet Abby was nagging mom about it, so she said not to ask daddy. I'm pretty sure Melanie told Nathan they wanted to go back to see the chipmunks...no miracle involved. They seem to just be playing a role when with the elder Maxwells.

I always had the vibe that Nathan and Melanie aren't that willing to follow Steve or live like him, just play along whenever they are around him to keep the family peace. They met and married before Steve went totally down the rabbit hole. Both of them know what it's like to have experienced a more normal, less insular, and more fun life. Melanie's pregnancy issues have dealt a serious dose of reality as far as having a large family is concerned. I think they may have quietly made their own decisions and I wouldn't be surprised if Nathan has encountered criticism from Steve about how he is leading his own family only to have Nathan assert that as the headship of his own family, he makes the decisions. But we will never hear about that kind of stuff going down in the "look at us, we are just one happy family. Happy, happy, joy, joy." I bet a LOT more shit goes down in that family than we know.

Diaphragms are removable, and therefore destroyable. It would have to be an IUD.

And I'm thinking it would start more subversively--with a leopard print thong under a frumper. Then perhaps some lip gloss. Then maybe...a work of fiction!

And I'm thinking it would start more subversively--with a leopard print thong under a frumper. Then perhaps some lip gloss. Then maybe...a work of fiction!

I'm assuming a Moody book doesn't count?

Their kiddos seem incredibly happy and joyful...I mean those girls are always smiling. To me, this means that their lives are already more fun than the older Maxwells.

I kind of call bs on the whole "Abby prayed that Nathan would take her back to see the chipmunks but didn't ask" thing in CO last year. I'll bet Abby was nagging mom about it, so she said not to ask daddy. I'm pretty sure Melanie told Nathan they wanted to go back to see the chipmunks...no miracle involved. They seem to just be playing a role when with the elder Maxwells.

The happy thing is true, but Abby's facial expressions seem to be lowering - she used to have that cute, mischievous squint like the one Bethany has on her face whenever a photo is taken, but now she just has a teeny little smile. It could just be that she's older, but I find it quite sad......I just hope grandpa and grandma are not practicing "crushing her spirit" like they did with John....

I always do wonder what Nathan and Melanie are like at home. We know from facebook pictures that the grandparents are not nearly as fundi as portrayed on the blog. So we have no idea what Nathan and Melanie are really like. Steve may have no idea what Nathan and Melanie are really like. There is a chance that they are less fundi at home and just don't tell Steve, there is also a chance that Steve knows but would NEVER post about it. I think if they did "slip away." Stevie would bring up the fact that they are a self contained family unit yada yada yada and therefore he does not need to post about them.

I imagine Sarah is required to limit blog postings to Steve-ordained posts, meaning anything that shows individuality or anything contrary to his holy douchebag-ness gets nixed before it has a chance to be publicised. And yes, I wholeheartedly agree there's bound to be a lot of shit that goes down in that family that never sees the light of day beyond the four walls of the senior dickhead's home.

On a side note, wasn't it like 5 years or something before they (M & N) had kids and then they "randomly" got pregnant with Suzanna? That doesn't seem like a "the Lord finally opened her womb" kinda thing, although I'm sure that's what was portrayed. I'm sure the Maxhells are just like the Duggars. They (Steve) omit any and all things that don't make their all supreme godhead (aka Steve) look worship-worthy, whether it's related to fertility* or anything else.

*I'm not in any way saying anyone using fertility medicine of any type is wrong. It's the Maxhells general lack of honesty and yet judgment towards people who struggle with infertility in the face of what seems suspiciously like their son & DIL dealing with infertility, and M & N's probable use of fertility professionals to get pregnant/keep pregnancies I'm calling out. ...Stepping off my soapbox.

I imagine Sarah is required to limit blog postings to Steve-ordained posts, meaning anything that shows individuality or anything contrary to his holy douchebag-ness gets nixed before it has a chance to be publicised. And yes, I wholeheartedly agree there's bound to be a lot of shit that goes down in that family that never sees the light of day beyond the four walls of the senior dickhead's home.

On a side note, wasn't it like 5 years or something before they (M & N) had kids and then they "randomly" got pregnant with Suzanna? That doesn't seem like a "the Lord finally opened her womb" kinda thing, although I'm sure that's what was portrayed. I'm sure the Maxhells are just like the Duggars. They (Steve) omit any and all things that don't make their all supreme godhead (aka Steve) look worship-worthy, whether it's related to fertility* or anything else.

*I'm not in any way saying anyone using fertility medicine of any type is wrong. It's the Maxhells general lack of honesty and yet judgment towards people who struggle with infertility in the face of what seems suspiciously like their son & DIL dealing with infertility, and M & N's probable use of fertility professionals to get pregnant/keep pregnancies I'm calling out. ...Stepping off my soapbox.

ITA with you. I think that Mel is probably using something to help her conceive or remain pregnant. I have no problem with this, I also really don't have a problem with the Maxwells not talking about it, it is Mel and Nate's business, not Steve's. But yup, either M&N use birth control (and have from the beginning) and don't tell Steve, or they are using something to "help", and spacing their kids out this way.

I believe Melanie had trouble getting pregnant. She and Nathan wrote about waiting for God to "open her womb". It was tragic that her first child died shortly after birth but her subsequent pregnancies all produced healthy babies. I know she took progesterone to maintain her pregnancies. Evidently, her body struggles with keeping pregnancies.

As much as I like Melanie and Nathan, they are still very fundie for my taste. They have three little girls who are growing up with the idea their ultimate and only goal in life is wife and mother. Forget the dresses-only thing, or courtships or anything else, what will handicap the kids is inability to be financially independent if they need to be. I hope that Nathan, with all these daughters, will come to realize his girls need to protect themselves as adults. I hope Nathan moves away from that crazy anti-college mindset and encourage his daughters to explore school and career. I also hope that Nathan and Melanie will wake up and limit their children given Melanie's past medical history. If all this happens....god, I'd love to be the fly on the wall when these discussions come up with Steve.

Mel does use a drug to maintain her pregnancy. I don't remember what it is called. They posted about it when she became pregnant with Chrissy. I remember a thread on FJ discussing it.

I can only hope that Melanie and other future spouses of the Maxwells will see the family for what they are and make a break from them, taking their children away from that type of influence.

This is EXACTLY why Steve is reluctant to allow Sarah to marry (and will hold tight onto Mary and Anna). A headship may well decide he's had enough of The Steve and tell him to shove it, then take the daughter away to live a life far different than the one she lives now. Or in the case of the reversal daughters, a life they've never known, you know, with PEOPLE and everything!

His sons are bred to believe they're supporting The Cult of Steve in some way and are far less likely to "allow" a rebellion from their wives, much less move away from their revenue stream. Joseph should be smart enough to know he could run his internet business from anywhere; a mile from Steve is still within his clutches. He would have to move to a place that would require a trip Uriah couldn't make, like the Czech Republic or something.

LOL, indeed. Ironically enough, we are one of the least religious countries on the planet, actually - and if a Maxwell ever moves here I'll be at the airport with confetti and pom poms, I swear to FSM!

Archived