IGNORED

Food Budget

Want More Babies

I want to weigh in on the hours worked per week subject but figured I'd cut out the quote tree.

I work 55+ hours a week. I have ZERO benefits. 55 hours pays my bills but ONLY if I don't get sick. When I say I have no benefits, I don't get paid if I don't work and I have no health insurance whatsoever, and because I'm considered domestic help I'm not eligible for FEMLA. So if I get sick, not only do I lose every cent I would've made that day, I also have to pay to see the doctor (usually a self-pay "discount" but not all that helpful - still well over $100 just or the visit) plus full price for any prescriptions. I get no discount on prescriptions for being self-pay. If I get sick and happen to have the money to see a doctor, I'm easily out $400 between doctor, any tests, and meds.

We often have a tendency to view the life in the USA with rosy glasses... a lot of people in Europe don't realise that life is so hard in America. We still have a fascination with the "American dream" ;)

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We often have a tendency to view the life in the USA with rosy glasses... a lot of people in Europe don't realise that life is so hard in America. We still have a fascination with the "American dream" ;)

I agree. Many people in Europe have no idea about certain aspects about life in the US. Many of my friends were really surprised to find out that gay marriage isn't legal in the US, for example - or that the US does not offer universal healthcare. That realization especially has taken the US down a few notches in the esteem of Europeans.

This is not always possible in the US. Some employers will be unhappy if you request to work fewer hours and may fire you or lay you off in retaliation. Several jobs I've worked in the US, the contract I signed stated that I could be fired without notice for any reason and to work there, I had to accept that. I've worked in the UK as well and in comparison, it is much easier to find cooperative employers in the UK and I assume that applies to other EU countries as well.

This is true - I was thinking of the UK where we have the longest working hours in Europe, but I honestly didn't take into account the other stuff. I mean we have paid paternity leave as well paid maternity leave (which is 1 year on full pay plus 6 months on a lower rate of pay) as well as the NHS and higher wages in London, which probably balances it out.

Ah, that's interesting, here in Belgium - like in the Netherlands, I guess - schools don't generally offer hot meals, or if they do, most kids still bring their lunch box to school.

That's why I love this forum so much, we are a very diverse bunch of people, we can learn a lot here about the different way of life around the world and that's very cool :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I agree. Many people in Europe have no idea about certain aspects about life in the US. Many of my friends were really surprised to find out that gay marriage isn't legal in the US, for example - or that the US does not offer universal healthcare. That realization especially has taken the US down a few notches in the esteem of Europeans.

Not even that - I knew about both those things but just the inflexibility of employers, lack of benefits eg maternity leave and waitstaff being paid less because they get tipped really surprised and shocked me.

That's why I love this forum so much, we are a very diverse bunch of people, we can learn a lot here about the different way of life around the world and that's very cool :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I guessed Marie-Louise was from Germany maybe or the Low Countries because no way French people would go without a hot meal at lunchtime :lol:

My dad used to work at a Peugeot factory here in the UK as an engineer and the standard of food in the work cantine was amazing, totally unlike that of a British company.

Not everyone in the US has it terribly. Some have affordable health insurance with very low co-pays and six weeks paid vacation. One of my relatives has insurance 100% paid by the employer and another it's 80% employer paid. Mine is 75% employer paid premiums. Although for many people it is a major problem. I'm not denying that, but wanted people to know it isn't everyone.

Not even that - I knew about both those things but just the inflexibility of employers, lack of benefits eg maternity leave and waitstaff being paid less because they get tipped really surprised and shocked me.

The federal waitstaff minimum was $2.14 per hour when I waited tables in 1982. The waitstaff minimum is still $2.14 per hour. If your tips plus wage don't equal federal minimum wage, the employer is supposed to make up the difference. This often does not happen. If the staff complain or stand up for their rights, they are often out of a job. Frequently waitstaff are expected to share their tips with those who cook the food and clean the tables....cooks and table cleaners are paid minimum wage or more. No health insurance, sick time, or vacation time either. Note: some states have higher minimum wages for wait staff.

Not everyone in the US has it terribly. Some have affordable health insurance with very low co-pays and six weeks paid vacation. One of my relatives has insurance 100% paid by the employer and another it's 80% employer paid. Mine is 75% employer paid premiums. Although for many people it is a major problem. I'm not denying that, but wanted people to know it isn't everyone.

I know that it's not bad for everyone. But the fact that it's that bad for ANYONE, i think is unacceptable. When you live in a country where no one at all, regardless of income, has to pay anything at all to visit the doctor, anything else even paying very small amounts seems unfathomable. I think it's a dangerous attitude to think that since some people have good health insurance, who cares about all those other people who have to choose between the doctor and rent. Not that you think that, but it's a dangerous attitude to have. Everyone should have to pay 0$ to go see the doctor. Everyone.

This. I work 42hrs per week. I pay 100 dollars for dental/health/eye insurance combined. 20 dollar copays for dr visits, 10 dollars for prescriptions. Anything else outside of doctors(suck as MRIs, etc..) visits my employer pays 80-100 percent on top of a very low deductible of 500 dollars. I also get 4weeks paid vacation/leave. I know I'm incredibly lucky though. My job also doesn't require a college education or any experience in that field.

My dads job had 6weeks paid of vacation to and really good health insurance.

I know that it's not bad for everyone. But the fact that it's that bad for ANYONE, i think is unacceptable. When you live in a country where no one at all, regardless of income, has to pay anything at all to visit the doctor, anything else even paying very small amounts seems unfathomable. I think it's a dangerous attitude to think that since some people have good health insurance, who cares about all those other people who have to choose between the doctor and rent. Not that you think that, but it's a dangerous attitude to have. Everyone should have to pay 0$ to go see the doctor. Everyone.

ITA that no one should have to worry about how they can afford to go to the doctors. Something needs to change in the US to make health care affordable for everyone.

I agree. Healthcare is a human right.

I'm lucky that I have good insurance paid for by the company I work for. But, if I ever get sick enough that I can no longer work, I lose my insurance. What kind of sense does that make?

I agree. Healthcare is a human right.

If the US had universal health care would the fundies then take advantage of it?

And does Universal Healthcare cover dental too?

If the US had universal health care would the fundies then take advantage of it?

And does Universal Healthcare cover dental too?

I can't speak for any other countries, but in Belgium, it does cover dental, and vision too.

As for the fundies - no worse than they already do. Read: we are the Bates, and we use the ER as a free clinic.

My husband has 5 weeks paid vacation and almost 100% paid insurance, but it's literally one of the only companies in this area to offer anything like it, and they're a european based company.

This is true - I was thinking of the UK where we have the longest working hours in Europe, but I honestly didn't take into account the other stuff. I mean we have paid paternity leave as well paid maternity leave (which is 1 year on full pay plus 6 months on a lower rate of pay) as well as the NHS and higher wages in London, which probably balances it out.

Yep! Maternity/paternity leave, paid sick leave, those are luxuries in the US and often employees who have access to them are still pressured to not use them. When I first started working in the UK I could not believe that employers would still pay you if you became ill. I can remember working for a large grocery chain in the US and one of my co-workers sprained her ankle on a day off and she was not given a chair to sit at a register with, she was simply taken off the schedule until she was able to come to work and stand at a register again. So she was effectively unemployed until her ankle healed.

Y'all are the exception, though. DSs dad has great benefits and four weeks paid vacation per year because he's had a government job for 10+ years. (We are the exception as well.) We (Me, DS, DSs dad) also live in an area with amazing, affordable medical care- it's very easy to get in to see your doctor, the longest I've had to wait for a same-day appointment is two hours. Most rural areas and many suburan and small cities are still underserved, medically speaking.

Most people I know with affordable health insurance, very low co-pays and six weeks paid vacation are very high up in their company- like an executive. They started out like the rest of us- crap benefits, and two weeks of vacation (that you dare not take because your boss would give you the evil eye). The working joes don't have those awesome benefits- and they would need affordable health insurance with low co-pays more than an executive, IMO.

My husband has 5 weeks paid vacation and almost 100% paid insurance, but it's literally one of the only companies in this area to offer anything like it, and they're a european based company.

I live in France, I'm an educator for the Juvenile Justice Council, I work in a prison with 13/18 delinquents, I work 4 days a week (because I'm part time) from 9 to 5-30, I have 10 weeks/year paid vacation and I pay 71 €/month for my health insurance (mandatory Social Security+ optional semi private insurance, so I never have to pay for anything)

I live in France, I'm an educator for the Juvenile Justice Council, I work in a prison with 13/18 delinquents, I work 4 days a week (because I'm part time) from 9 to 5-30, I have 10 weeks/year paid vacation and I pay 71 €/month for my health insurance (mandatory Social Security+ optional semi private insurance, so I never have to pay for anything)

ARE THEY HIRING????? :mrgreen:

ARE THEY HIRING????? :mrgreen:

:lol: working with delinquent teen-agers is not the easiest job in the world, you know :lol:

but the amount of vacations I have and what I pay for insurance is pretty common for civil servant here, our salaries are not very high though and the cost of life (housing + food) is pretty high in France !

Funny you say that. We're looking to transfer within the company to France or the UK hopefully after next December, when he becomes eligible for transfers.

:lol: working with delinquent teen-agers is not the easiest job in the world, you know :lol:

but the amount of vacations I have and what I pay for insurance is pretty common for civil servant here, our salaries are not very high though and the cost of life (housing + food) is pretty high in France !

That's part of why I don't have it so bad here (I'm writing as someone with minor chronic medical issues so I don't have enormous medical expenses regularly). I still like my jobs and relatively speaking I get paid well. I'm able to afford my own very-small-no-thrills-but-safe apartment without needing roommates. I have a (very old) car that runs that I'm able to fill with gas when needed and I have it insured. I'm able to buy fresh fruits & vegetables when I want.

All that said, if I were to develop ongoing health problems (cancer, diabetes, rhumatoid arthritis) where each dose of the meds can be upwards of $10,000 at a time and I needed it once a month, I'd be in a completely different boat! For now, I'm gratefull I don't have ongoing health needs because yeah, then I would be looking at homelessness plus still not getting the medical treatment I'd need.

I guessed Marie-Louise was from Germany maybe or the Low Countries because no way French people would go without a hot meal at lunchtime :lol:

My dad used to work at a Peugeot factory here in the UK as an engineer and the standard of food in the work cantine was amazing, totally unlike that of a British company.

Tz tz tz, we Germans do that too, the hot lunch thing. :P :lol: Actually, only 2 families out of the many families I know do the hot dinner thing. I always have to explain to my American friends that we kinda switch dinner and lunch around.

Btw, what is a low country? :shock:

Archived