IGNORED

Food Budget

Want More Babies

What do these once a month shoppers (in her comments) do about fresh fruits and veggies? I buy bananas and apples twice a week and I just have 2 kids.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do these once a month shoppers (in her comments) do about fresh fruits and veggies? I buy bananas and apples twice a week and I just have 2 kids.

They don't buy any I would guess. I get veggies once a week I couldn't imagine getting them once a month. Yuck.

I was just thinking about food budgets and large families this evening. I went to Winco (epic bulk section, reputation for being cheap) this evening where I saw a couple of fundie families. Anyways, I got stuck behind one of them in the check out. I was being nosy and checking out their grocery cart: family sized cans of cream of whatever soups, bulk cereals, a huge bag of potatoes, five pound tubes of ground beef, and a lot of stuff from the bulk section. Their cart was crammed full. No fresh or frozen fruit or vegetables. Their total was over $300. I wish I'd asked them how often they shopped for that much food- but they kept to themselves.

And regarding keeping food from my son, I don't. If he's hungry, he gets food. I will make him wait like half an hour for dinner or something (if it's longer than that, he gets a raw vegetable plate w/dip to snack on.) but I will never lock up the cabinets and prevent him from eating.

We shop once a week, with a top-up shopping trip (milk, fruit & vegetables) if we need it.

I want to know what they do about milk. I live alone and still buy it about once a week.

My guess is that they don't buy much, if any, fresh fruit and veggies.

I must know, too, I'm dying of curiosity! And I won't think you're a gushing fangirl either!

That's what I'd like to know. I get most of my groceries at the commissary about fifteen minutes away, but in between those trips I make runs to the grocery store or farmer's market near my house at least twice a week if not more often. We eat a LOT of salads at my house!

I must know, too, I'm dying of curiosity! And I won't think you're a gushing fangirl either!

That's what I'd like to know. I get most of my groceries at the commissary about fifteen minutes away, but in between those trips I make runs to the grocery store or farmer's market near my house at least twice a week if not more often. We eat a LOT of salads at my house!

We eat a lot of salad too, and I like to cook my veggies within a few days a getting them. We go to the grocery several times a week. Sometimes I feel like it's my second home :lol:

I want to know what they do about milk. I live alone and still buy it about once a week.

My guess is that they don't buy much, if any, fresh fruit and veggies.

I agree they are dealing cans of fruits and veggies, possibly some frozen veggies. I would say they are buying the ultra pasteurized milk sold in the boxes, but they are incredibly cost prohibitive for large families. The only other solution would be to buy evaporated milk and dilute it. Yech.

Edit-Cross posted with skankbiscuit

To the person who asked about milk, the monthly shoppers freeze it. I don't like milk that has been thawed out, ew...

Yeah, that was my only guess if they were drinking "fresh" milk, but they probably use instant milk. Just as bad as frozen milk.

I'm one of the weekly shoppers. Yeah, some produce will keep longer than that, but for the love of (insert your choice here), it's SUMMER. That means there's supermarkets, and farmers' markets, and gardens and all just busting with yummy produce. I want my kid to be in the produce drawer in my fridge.

Granted, I just have the one, and I definitely overspend on the food, but you are what you eat.

my mom was a once-a-month shopper. We mostly ate frozen & root veggies. When money was tight we drank powdered milk; when there was enough money she still picked up milk & fruit every week and veggies from the farmer's market. When money was REALLY tight she dug up the lawn and grew a lot of tomatoes, cabbage, and potatoes.

Onions, carrots, and potatos together have pretty much every vitamin humans need, and add in fortified milk for vitamin D you get a pretty nutritious diet for dirt cheap. It's not the most varied or exciting one, but it's not bad for you.

To the person who asked about milk, the monthly shoppers freeze it. I don't like milk that has been thawed out, ew...

I agree...they must have a fuckton of freezer space to swing that.

We would probably all gag if we saw their "cream of" collections...I am guessing there are a lot of casseroles being served.

One woman was talking about how she used the bones from ham, turkey, chicken (whatever) over and over again in different meals (like using the same bones 2 or 3 times) :puke-front:

I use the bones 2-3 times

To which Kelly replied:

OK, you’re a professional

Yes, a professional brood mare that specializes in starving her children. Now there's something to aspire to! :D :roll:

Marie-Louise says:

August 30, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I’m amazed every time I read of hear about American families and their menu’s… (I also two times ate with American people, I was in quite a poor country then and felt guilty about eating so much.

In my country we do it like this:

Breakfast: bread (cereal is available, I normally have fruits)

Luch: bread

Dinner: potatoes, vegatables and meat / pasta / taco’s or whatever

I remember my mother saying: help, what shall I cook for dinner today?! But there never ever was a question about breakfast and lunch.

The grocery budget is a challenge for people here too. And yes, I love good food. But somehow in the USA food seems to be sooooo important…

I’m from a West-European country and I’m very rich compared by millions and millions of people in this world.

I think I should be more gratefull for the meals God ‘s given me and share more with those millions of people. Let’s be thankfull and sharing. Who will join me?

In what country do they only have bread for lunch? And it's the main course at breakfast too? It sounds like a poverty or famine diet, NOT a healthy diet.

I know in France they tend to not eat as much, and have pastries for breakfast, but a sandwich or something more substantial is still lunch.

I'm single and I spend about $100 every two weeks on groceries- this usually includes some toiletries/cleaning supplies, too. I take my lunch to work (yes, evil working women)-- I eat a lot of leftovers. I do use coupons. I try to plan my meals around the coupons I have on hand. I only buy toiletries/cleaning supplies if I have a coupon. I also use electronic store coupons, too. I only buy what I know I will use and what I need. I will admit I am stocked up on laundry detergent, shampoo/conditioner, razors, and body wash for several months. Again, I buy it with coupons on sale. I do have brands I love and I buy those items only with coupons. I don't pay retail for those items. This means I can spend more money on better foods.

I probably don't eat what these crazy fundies eat. I eat soy products- burgers, chix, faux hot dogs- because beef and I don't get along. I eat a lot of spaghetti, baked potatoes, chicken with vegetables (peppers, onions, potatoes... whatever I buy at the grocery store), homemade soups and veggie chili. Stuff that will last for a few meals and things I can freeze (if needed) and eat on for a few days. I buy fruits/veggies that are in season. Sadly, because the drought this summer, the selection of local produce at the farmer's market was less than fabulous and what they had was very expensive.

It seems like they are more about convenience and bulk over what is good tasting and good for you. If they ever watched "Restaurant Impossible" they would see how much easier it is to cook fresh foods versus frozen/canned. Sometimes you have to used canned or frozen, but that is the first and only choice for fundies. I couldn't imagine locking cabinets or the pantry. I know my mom would put some foods up so I wouldn't snack on them all the time- cereal was a huge treat in our house, so it was only for breakfast- it was always put up where I couldn't just get it out and eat it after school. However, there was plenty of other stuff for me to eat.

These people are just nuts.

In what country do they only have bread for lunch? And it's the main course at breakfast too? It sounds like a poverty or famine diet, NOT a healthy diet.

I know in France they tend to not eat as much, and have pastries for breakfast, but a sandwich or something more substantial is still lunch.

Wondering if 'bread' is a mistranslation and means something like bruschetta? But it still strikes me as odd. In warmer areas of Europe such as Spain and Portugal, breakfast often is just some bread and fruit, but lunch will be substantial. This definitely doesn't sound like the Western European norm (which aside from in Britain and Ireland tends to be a light breakfast, a substantial lunch and an evening meal that's lighter than the US norm). Toast and fruit sounds like a normal breakfast to me but only if lunch is pretty filling.

Wondering if 'bread' is a mistranslation and means something like bruschetta? But it still strikes me as odd. In warmer areas of Europe such as Spain and Portugal, breakfast often is just some bread and fruit, but lunch will be substantial. This definitely doesn't sound like the Western European norm (which aside from in Britain and Ireland tends to be a light breakfast, a substantial lunch and an evening meal that's lighter than the US norm). Toast and fruit sounds like a normal breakfast to me but only if lunch is pretty filling.

That is what I was thinking too. My family on one side is from the border between Eastern and Western Europe, and while breakfast was never big, usually the noon meal was the biggest one of the day, then just a small supper.

I agree...they must have a fuckton of freezer space to swing that.

We would probably all gag if we saw their "cream of" collections...I am guessing there are a lot of casseroles being served.

One woman was talking about how she used the bones from ham, turkey, chicken (whatever) over and over again in different meals (like using the same bones 2 or 3 times) :puke-front:

To which Kelly replied:

Yes, a professional brood mare that specializes in starving her children. Now there's something to aspire to! :D :roll:

My grandfather talked about eating "Chicken Shadow Soup" (Holding a chicken carcass above a pot of water under the kitchen light) when he was a kid DURING THE GREAT DEPRESSION! To intentionally continue to reproduce KNOWING you ALREADY CAN'T APPROPRIATELY PROVIDE for your children is child abuse! What horrible parents they are! It's one thing if they lived in an area of the world where food-scarcity is the norm and kids regularly die of malnutrition/starvation. This pisses me off to no end! FUCK YOU! How dare you bring more "blessings" into the world when this is how you choose to live! Oooh, I need to just post this so I stop my rant! One last thing: :angry-screaming:

Depending on how much my kids are eating at a given moment, my grocery budget is $1600-$2000 per month. There are 10 of us, and all but two are at least pre-teens or older.

As grocery prices have risen, I've had to go fairly bare bones in my food and cut back to less fresh produce than I like right now. I just went to the grocery store Friday and spent $400 on a week's worth of groceries and another $60 on non-food stuff and school supplies. And, I'm already out of yogurts and a portion of the fruit.

The kids will start with the fridge stuff. The closer it is to payday, the more they will head to the pantry cause the fresh stuff will get sparse later in the cycle. The only thing I buy between trips is bread and milk and I have to get those at least 2-3 times per week.

I also have two side by side fridge/freezer units and a chest freezer. I do buy pre-made salads for my near-vegetarian that will last him most of a week and a HUGE container of dark leafy greens for him. If he runs out of his produce, he'll just go hungry until payday.

I won't scrimp on food. I refuse. Children NEED to be able to eat! It's a non-negotiable to me.

We spend about $400 a month on food right now for 7 people: 2 adults, a teenaged boy, a preteen girl and 3 younger ones. My youngest has a lot of food aversions so he eats basically whatever he wants, regardless of cost. My two college-aged stepsons also eat with us many weekends. I credit the low grocery bill with the fact that we eat so little processed food. It seems expensive to buy produce at $2-3 a pound until you consider that Cheetos are more like $4-5 a pound. I do try to get the most out of everything we buy--I never have a bone in this house that does not end up in stock. But I cannot imagine boiling them more than once; it seems like all the nutrition and flavor are leeched out the first time. Also, we get WIC, which covers a lot of breakfast cereal and about half of our milk.

I am a good shopper, I find a lot of deals and I know how to wield a coupon. There are ways of keeping your food budget low without starving your children. I do cut off snacks when we have a meal in the making because my kids will gorge on cookies and then be unable to eat dinner if I let them. Even when I had 4 teenaged stepchildren in the home I kept them fed. ffs, these women need to stop breeding if they are re-using nasty old bones.

Growing up, my mother told me grandma would get really creative with food during shortages. During the famine years, meat was extremely scarce but the family still tried to save for meat on New Year's. Having meat on Chinese New Year's is like having presents on Christmas Day. At least one year, my mom remembered they just didn't have money for meat. Grandma used flour and rolled carrots and other vegetables into dough, then used the supply of cooking oil that she saved up for the whole year to fry it. The concoction came out looking like meat. Then the family pretended it was meat and tried to forget they had no meat for Chinese New Year's. This stood out for my mother because it was like having Christmas with no presents.

I often think about stories like that when I hear of fundies do stupid things like this. Too proud to ask for handouts, too stupid to use birth control. Why would anyone want to expose their children to such a life of deprivation? My grandparents would have loved to have access to birth control. Every child was an extra mouth they couldn't feed. My parents spent the rest of their life trying to escape such grinding poverty. They gave up friends and family to come to this country so they could have a better life. Then you get idiots like these fundies who throw all that opportunity back, yearning for a time when children died young and families starved.

Then you get idiots like these fundies who throw all that opportunity back, yearning for a time when children died young and families starved.

This. This This This THIS!

Man, I just tried to make a food budget work for 11 people for $150 for a week.

Drinks: Milk: 6 gallons, $3/gal average = $18

Breakfast: Quaker Oatmeal + cinnamon + brown sugar. Costco sized oatmeal (110 servings) was $7.50 when I bought it a week ago; brown sugar is $1.50 and cinnamon you can get for $1. That's also like 10 days worth of servings for them, so we'll approximate and say they have some left and it would cost an average of $7 for a week.

Lunch: PB&J, carrot sticks, ranch dressing, grapes. Peanut butter $4 (can get usually $1 off with coupons), Jelly $2.50 (also could get this cheaper with coupons), Carrots $10 for 25 lbs of carrots, Ranch $2/bottle (you can get this cheaper with coupons - usually $1), 9 loaves bread $10 (judging by prices where I live) and 10lbs of grapes $10 (this week). $38.50

Dinners: Beans and rice ($3 assuming they own spices) + 2 cans veggies ($1.50),

Chicken stir fry (costco bag = $6, chicken= $7, rice= $1),

bean burritos (2 packs of tortillas - $2, onion $.50, cheese $3, beans $1.50, iceberg lettuce $1, tomato $2 ),

chicken pasta (chicken $7, sauce $2, 2 boxes pasta $2.50)

Loaded baked potatoes and green beans (Potatoes $6 (costco), sour cream $1, cheese $3, bacon $3, green beans $2)

BBQ Chicken drumsticks, peas, mac and cheese (Chicken $10 (costco price - 2-3 drumsticks per person), bbq sauce $1, mac and cheese $3 (boxed), canned peas $2)

Total: $74

$134.50

Snacks: 10 lbs canned pineapple slices ($5.50 - costco) , 1 3lb bag craisins ($6 - costco), cinnamon-craisin homemade bread ($1, maybe?)

Total: $147 + tax

Ok, so I cheated a little but that was HARD. Really hard. And the milk is assuming only her youngest 6-8 kids would drink it. Why the hell does she think she could do this all the time??? That's not even really a balanced diet, just as many veggies as I could fit in, and no paper products! She is a total moron!

It makes me doubt their sanity and their intelligence. I'm normally a very practical person and this idiocy of quiverful drives me around the bend. It makes no sense. I wish we could get them all investigated for negligence.

Archived