IGNORED

What's with all of these Christians claiming to be Jews?

SpeakNow

I've never tried to pronounce it. I kind of find "Yahweh" to be a weird pronunciation since the Hebrew letter Vov is basically the same as "v" not "w."

Well, to be fair, the Arabic equivalent of the vav does make a 'w' sound, so it's not that weird that in translation it would become a 'w' sound. There are many other changes in the way Hebrew names are translated to English (I mean, if you just start with the patriarchs Avraham becomes Abraham, Yitzchak becomes Isaac and Yaakov becomes Jacob.) So, that's not weird to me.

But Jews think that the way to pronounce the tetragrammaton has been lost to time and that we are disrespecting God by trying to pronounce it if we pronounce it incorrectly. And since we have no way of knowing what is correct or not, we just avoid trying to say it.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never tried to pronounce it. I kind of find "Yahweh" to be a weird pronunciation since the Hebrew letter Vov is basically the same as "v" not "w."

Hey! :P

I just gave Brian/Susan/Faux-Jew a long answer:

Brain/Susan, here is your answer. Your questions are in lowercase, my answers are in CAPS LOCK.

“You have to read the whole chaphter in Dsniel and if it is not Jesus who is it then?†AGAIN, IN THIS STORY G-D SENT AN ANGEL. “BLESSED BE THE GOD OF SHADRACH, MESHACH, AND ABEDNEGO, WHO HATH SENT HIS ANGEL, AND DELIVERED HIS SERVANTS THAT TRUSTED IN HIM, AND HAVE CHANGED THE KING'S WORD, AND YIELDED THEIR BODIES, THAT THEY MIGHT NOT SERVE NOR WORSHIP ANY GOD, EXCEPT THEIR OWN GOD.†(KJV DANIEL 3:28). SURE, THEY SAY THAT THE ANGEL “LOOKS LIKE A SON OF G-D,†BUT NO ONE IN THAT STORY CLAIMS THAT THE ANGEL IS THE SON OF G-D.

“The case of Manoah in the book of judges what Menoah saw he daid was God and the scripture does not say he was wrong. If God is Spirit then how do you explain what Menoah saw?†FIRST OF ALL, G-D HAS APPEARED IN OTHER FORMS (BURNING BUSH ETC.). SECOND, MENOAH SAW AN ANGEL. AN ANGEL IS NOT THE SAME AS G-D, SO, TO BE HONEST, I’M NOT SURE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. FEEL FREE TO CLARIFY.

“In Joshua before the battle of Jerico Joshua sers a man he says that he is the commander of the Lords Army then he tells Joshua to take off his shoes because the ground hrestands on is holy. This statement is only said one other time in the Tenakh in Exodus when Moses stood before YHWH.†AGAIN, G-D HAS APPEARED IN OTHER FORMS IN THE BIBLE. G-D SENDS MESSENGERS. NOWHERE DOES IT SAY THIS PARTICULAR MESSENGER IS THE MESSIAH.

“Daniel that all would be resurrected some to eternal reward and some to everlasting contempt.†ACTUALLY, THAT’S NOT WHAT IT SAYS. “MULTITUDES WHO SLEEP IN THE DUST OF THE EARTH WILL AWAKE: SOME TO EVERLASTING LIFE, OTHERS TO SHAME AND EVERLASTING CONTEMPT. 3 THOSE WHO ARE WISE[A] WILL SHINE LIKE THE BRIGHTNESS OF THE HEAVENS, AND THOSE WHO LEAD MANY TO RIGHTEOUSNESS, LIKE THE STARS FOR EVER AND EVER.†(DANIEL 12:2-3.). IT MENTIONS NOTHING OF HOW THIS WILL HAPPEN. IT SAYS MULTITUDES, NOT ALL. ALSO, IT MAKES NO MENTION OF THE MESSIAH RAISING THEM UP. IT SAYS THAT THE “PEOPLE WHOSE NAME IS WRITTEN IN THE BOOK†WILL BE DELIVERED. I’M NOT SURE HOW THIS VERSE PROVES YOUR POINT.

Now please answer my questions. Jesus doesn’t fit the criteria for the Messiah as laid out in other parts of the Bible. What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? The Bible says that he will:

A. Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).

B. Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).

C. Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)

D. Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world—on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).

Jesus fulfilled none of these messianic prophecies.

Hopefully he'll shut up

There are two different types of Jews. There are Jews that are religious and Ethnic Jews. Ethnic Jews are born jewish but are not religious.

I think this is a key point in the christians-claiming-to-be-jews discussion. The messianic, jews for jesus types are a whole 'nother thing, but people like Ray Comfort (and Doug Phillips the Tool) have Jewish ancestry, IIRC. That way they can claim that they are Jewish with an excuse for being dishonest. Comfort knows perfectly well that when he tells people he's jewish, those people think he means he's a practicing Jew. He's not lying per se, but he's fudging the truth. Deliberately, and for the worst of reasons.

OMFG yes. My family is notorious for doing that...to each other but we manage not to be that bad with strangers. But once we were at an orthodox temple for a friend's bat mitzvah. Some non-jews were brought along and they were very baffled by the whole thing, and got really horrified when someone grabbed food off their table.

Anyway I am not a fan of the Messianic Jews. Lina especially got on my nerves with her mental juitjitsu about how she wanted to be a Jew and lie to a Rabbi to convert.

Sounds likes my Mom's side of the family, but we're Armenian, not Jewish. Though, my "second family" when I was a wee thing is Jewish, and we live in a Jewish neighborhood in our suburb, and you do hear a good bit of Yiddish at our house. Hell, most people think I'm actually Jewish, even though I have a VERY Scottish last name.

That said, I can't recall the last time I actually finished a dessert on my own. I learned to be a little more polite with the food grabbing once I got to college, since my friends got a little *shirty* with me when I stole some fries. But when I'm with my family, all bets are off.

Sounds likes my Mom's side of the family, but we're Armenian, not Jewish. Though, my "second family" when I was a wee thing is Jewish, and we live in a Jewish neighborhood in our suburb, and you do hear a good bit of Yiddish at our house. Hell, most people think I'm actually Jewish, even though I have a VERY Scottish last name.

That said, I can't recall the last time I actually finished a dessert on my own. I learned to be a little more polite with the food grabbing once I got to college, since my friends got a little *shirty* with me when I stole some fries. But when I'm with my family, all bets are off.

We're the same, and we are Greek. In fact, I have had American friends come to Greece and get totally wigged out by this practice. It's like, "Hey, lemme see what's on your plate."

Edit for pronouns

Well my epicly long post seems to have shut faux Jew up...for now

Part of me thinks that she flounced and part of me thinks she is consulting the Jews for Jesus manual on what to say next. Doesn't she seem a bit like she is parroting ideas she does not really understand?

I just read "Brian Susan's" About Me section. Wow, TMI much?

Also interesting that she doesn't use the tetragrammaton or Yeshua anywhere in it. She clearly only brings it out to give herself street-cred among the Jews.

Also interesting that she doesn't use the tetragrammaton or Yeshua anywhere in it. She clearly only brings it out to give herself street-cred among the Jews.

Which is interesting because it has just the opposite effect. She needs to get to know her audience. As soon as someone says Yeshua, a part of my willingness to know them dies and I have to restrain an eyeroll.

Yeah, with all that public information that makes it clear that she is NOT a Jew, I wonder what's up with the whole I AM TOTALLY A JEW AND BELIEVING IN JESUS YESHUA DOESN'T CHANGE THAT thing. Listen Brian/Susan. It is obvious that you are not a Jew, never have been, and never will be. Jews will actually respect you a lot more if you admit that you're a Christian, than if you're pretending to be a Jew.

Edit: Crossposted with emmie.

Well, to be fair, the Arabic equivalent of the vav does make a 'w' sound, so it's not that weird that in translation it would become a 'w' sound.

I didn't know about the Arabic.

Yeah, with all that public information that makes it clear that she is NOT a Jew, I wonder what's up with the whole I AM TOTALLY A JEW AND BELIEVING IN JESUS YESHUA DOESN'T CHANGE THAT thing. Listen Brian/Susan. It is obvious that you are not a Jew, never have been, and never will be. Jews will actually respect you a lot more if you admit that you're a Christian, than if you're pretending to be a Jew.

Edit: Crossposted with emmie.

QFT

I'll believe they're really Jewish when the get the matching nose job.

spaceballs-princess-vespa_528_poster.jpg

One of my favorite movies! Nothing like a Druish princess and Joan Rivers following you with a virgin alarm. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Brian Susan" posted this article on her FB page. It's called "Pointers on Witnessing to Jews." Thanks for giving us your playbook, Brian Susan. And no, being "prayerfully persistent" will not work.

http://www.jewsforjesus.org/resources/w ... g/pointers

They also say, "Give a personal testimony. The reality of God in your life is a powerful witness. Many Jewish people think that you were born a Christian in the same way that they were born Jewish. Hearing how you became a follower of Jesus, how God answers your prayers can provoke your Jewish friend to jealousy." WTF?

I'd like to know how many Jews (if any) this group has actually managed to convert. It just seems so ridiculous to me.

They also say, "Give a personal testimony. The reality of God in your life is a powerful witness. Many Jewish people think that you were born a Christian in the same way that they were born Jewish. Hearing how you became a follower of Jesus, how God answers your prayers can provoke your Jewish friend to jealousy." WTF?

I'd like to know how many Jews (if any) this group has actually managed to convert. It just seems so ridiculous to me.

I thought that people were "born Christian" when I was 5. I didn't know about the difference until I was a teenager, when I had genuine conversation with friends who weren't operating on an agenda. It still didn't make me want to convert, particularly since I feel like G-d has answered my prayers without me being a Christian (gasp!).

I am not a her by the way.

If you don't want to be mixed up with your wife (who obviously created your facebook profile), get your own goddamned facebook account. Dumb shit.

"Many Jewish people think that you were born a Christian in the same way that they were born Jewish. Hearing how you became a follower of Jesus, how God answers your prayers can provoke your Jewish friend to jealousy.

I'd be surprised if "many Jewish people" give a moment's thought to how Christians became Christians and would be truly dumbfounded if any were provoked to jealousy.

From that thread on the FB page:

Stephanie Jones Wow, 125 comments! I think that's a record! I'm impressed! Quick question though, I thought Judaism was a sect of Christiantity, or is it considered different? This question might have already been asked, but doggonit some of these posts are long and boring!

:angry-banghead:

I got nothing better to do, Baby Tchotchkes is engaging in an epically long nursing session so i'm stuck on the couch....

I'm gonna go wade in the pool of insanity.... O_O I'm sure it'll be like screaming into the wind but meh.

I got nothing better to do, Baby Tchotchkes is engaging in an epically long nursing session so i'm stuck on the couch....

I'm gonna go wade in the pool of insanity.... O_O I'm sure it'll be like screaming into the wind but meh.

Eh, if the troll runs away we can make Yiddish jokes. Like the one I am about to make right now....

Archived