IGNORED

What's with all of these Christians claiming to be Jews?

SpeakNow

He's back to posting daily devotionals.

"Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins." Hebrews 9:22

Well that sounds perfectly ominous.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Jeezum H. Crackers, I've studied Hebrew and Yiddish and it still took me 10 minutes to read that paragraph."

But if you didn't know those languages you might assume he knows what he is talking about. That's the point. Meet up with somebody who is Jewish by birth but not by practice, such as an immigrant from the Soviet Union. "Hey, you're jJewish? I'm Jewish, too. Do you have a synagogue? No? Then come on down to ours, you'll just love our rabbi..." and the next thing you know you have "saved" a brand new Christian.

It's very insidious.

"Jeezum H. Crackers, I've studied Hebrew and Yiddish and it still took me 10 minutes to read that paragraph."

But if you didn't know those languages you might assume he knows what he is talking about. That's the point. Meet up with somebody who is Jewish by birth but not by practice, such as an immigrant from the Soviet Union. "Hey, you're jJewish? I'm Jewish, too. Do you have a synagogue? No? Then come on down to ours, you'll just love our rabbi..." and the next thing you know you have "saved" a brand new Christian.

It's very insidious.

Precisely.

I guess these people have found something they like about the USSR after all. The Soviets' hatred of religion, in general, and Jews, in particular, has left a lot of people who are vulnerable to their bullshit.

Where are they getting this "Yosef ben Dovid" stuff from????? In the regular old pagan Christian Gospel of Matthew, Joseph is the son of Jacob, not David. I realize this is a nitpick and a little beside the point, but that is a pretty big ol' LIE, not merely a translation error.

Meanest person I ever met was a "Jew for Jesus". Couldn't tell you if he was actually born Jewish or not (he wore a yarmulke) but he made a pest of himself all 4 of my undergraduate college years. He was a student center sidewalk preacher in the style of Fred Phelps. Positively awful man. Made the dudes from the Nation of Islam handing out their paper look progressive.

Where are they getting this "Yosef ben Dovid" stuff from????? In the regular old pagan Christian Gospel of Matthew, Joseph is the son of Jacob, not David. I realize this is a nitpick and a little beside the point, but that is a pretty big ol' LIE, not merely a translation error.

Meanest person I ever met was a "Jew for Jesus". Couldn't tell you if he was actually born Jewish or not (he wore a yarmulke) but he made a pest of himself all 4 of my undergraduate college years. He was a student center sidewalk preacher in the style of Fred Phelps. Positively awful man. Made the dudes from the Nation of Islam handing out their paper look progressive.

I'm guessing he's called "Yosef ben Dovid" to emphasize the fact that he was descended from David and therefore Jesus is really the Messiah (that is the correct Christian theology, yes?). The Messiah is at least sometimes referred to in Hebrew as HaMoshiach ben David, so I can see where they're coming from.

But, yes, this Orthodox Jewish Bible seems to be filled with lies and random insertions. It is not a translation. It is a translation, a commentary, and a deceptive evangelizing tool all in one!

pomology, yes, in Christian theology Joseph is a descendent of David. In my admittedly limited knowledge of how the word "ben" is used in Hebrew, I've only ever seen it used to define a son and his father. Is it legitimate to use Yosef ben Dovid to indicate an ancestor in Joseph's past as opposed to his father? (Never mind, you already answered that :oops: )

Edit for spelling and reading comprehension

pomology, yes, in Christian theology Joseph is a descendent of David. In my admittedly limited knowledge of how the word "ben" is used in Hebrew, I've only ever seen it used to define a son and his father. Is it legitimate to use Yosef ben Dovid to indicate an ancestor in Joseph's past as opposed to his father? (Never mind, you already answered that :oops: )

Edit for spelling and reading comprehension

Like I said, it's almost certainly only being used that way to emphasize the whole Jesus as messiah thing that Jews don't actually believe, but I don't think it is an egregious misuse of the Hebrew language.

ETA: On the other hand, it is possible that the messiah is referred to as Moshiach ben David because that is the most immediate ancestor of the messiah that is known. I'm not sure. Either way, they're trying to be deceptive by adding things to the text and that's really the point.

Brian Susan is flailing wildly.

If you are an example of what it means to be a Jew I want nothing to do with your God.

Did his/her pastor tell him/her that Christians and Jews don't believe in the same G-d?

And if you want to get really nitpicky, in Luke, Joseph is the son of Heli.

I googled "Promise Keepers" because of the other thread on wifely submission (they were big in the 90s for Christian men to resume their rightful places as heads of their households) and lo and Behold--they have a new agenda! And it's "Messianic Judaism."

http://tinyurl.com/9sbv7s7

At Vatican II the Catholics finally wised up and promised to leave the people of other faiths alone. But, geez, the Jews just can't catch a break.

Sorry, I see that the article I posted is from 2009, not current. Come to think of it, though, that may explain a lot of what is going on in fundie circles three years later.

I googled "Promise Keepers" because of the other thread on wifely submission (they were big in the 90s for Christian men to resume their rightful places as heads of their households) and lo and Behold--they have a new agenda! And it's "Messianic Judaism."

http://tinyurl.com/9sbv7s7

At Vatican II the Catholics finally wised up and promised to leave the people of other faiths alone. But, geez, the Jews just can't catch a break.

Considering how the Catholic church is moving these days, I have a feeling that'll get thrown out the window. My Catholic family, some of them are less than transparent about their feelings about my "regressive apostacy"

Now Brian Susan started a new comment claiming that countering bullshit with thought-out rebuttals = mocking Christians and harassment.

Now Brian Susan started a new comment claiming that countering bullshit with thought-out rebuttals = mocking Christians and harassment.

A completely new thread? Where?

Of course no one can argue with him because he is autistic and has ADHD! That would be abusing a poor disabled man.

Guest Anonymous

Where's this?

I don't know how to link to individual comments, it's the top one under "Recent Posts by Others" on the 19K&C page.

Thanks, I found it.

Oh my, he is persecuted! :o

A completely new thread? Where?

Of course no one can argue with him because he is autistic and has ADHD! That would be abusing a poor disabled man.

I think it's his wife who has ADHD. I don't know. It doesn't make itself very clear about which one is speaking. Somebody smart would get two different accounts.

Guest Anonymous

I can't find the new thread without logging in to Facebook! Please somebody post a link.

This treat is from the old thread:

Emily - Jewish people were God's Chosen PPl, I dont know if they still are or not, but they havent accepted Jesus as the True Messiah - that is all I know except that what they have had to go through is abhorrant - esp the Holocaust etc. BUT you cannot yourself say - ooh do Jews have to lay down and take it etc - I didnt say anything about your or Jewish ppl - just to be mindful of where you are. IE on a page discussing a Christian Family. Also LOW is what I do call you for A) calling anyone Mental whether they are or not because A) it is Low and B) it means you think you have lost the Argument!

True Messiah !

I got a spam message from Susan

Hi you have very kind to my husbannd and I but if Emily is an example of what it means to be Jewish I would rather be an athiest. My husband is autistic and I dont appreciate her comments on mental illness or her digs or slams for my typing. I have vision problems and she has never been kind to me or my husband. If she is an example of being a true Jew I dont want anything to do with it.

Guest Anonymous

'True Jew', huh? I call that a tacit admission that all of the earlier nonsense (with "The Orthodox Jewish Bible") was pretend Judaism.

It's interesting how these revelations about health problems (which apparently excuse bad behaviour) are tumbling out now, out of the blue.

Thanks for the link but, as far as I can tell, it's the link for the first thread about faux Judaism. Do you have a link for the new thread that is about Christian persecution (i.e. being confronted by reason, logic, and research)?

:roll:

This is how I would respond:

Nobody wants you to be Jewish. No Jew gives a shit if you're Christian. If you are, good for you. I hope you find it fulfilling. You're the one who wants to convince people to convert, not us. How the hell was she supposed to know that your husband is autistic or that you have vision problems? Not that they excuse your husband's dishonesty and obnoxiousness or your atrocious typing.

But most of all, Brian/Susan/whatever, if you want nothing to do with Judaism, stop being a fake Jew and stop fucking trying to convert us.

Archived