IGNORED

What's with all of these Christians claiming to be Jews?

SpeakNow

According to WD Prestiot, non-Christians should discuss the fact that they don't believe in Jesus on other FB pages, and only discuss their religions on the 19K&C page if "you are reassessing your religion."

I consider that open season, do you?

Brian Susan is also claiming that Jesus fits into all Jewish holidays.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to WD Prestiot, non-Christians should discuss the fact that they don't believe in Jesus on other FB pages, and only discuss their religions on the 19K&C page if "you are reassessing your religion."

I consider that open season, do you?

Brian Susan is also claiming that Jesus fits into all Jewish holidays.

But he/she/it/they doesn't explain how. He just kind of lists all Jewish holidays and says Jesus fits into them. Um, okay?

Also, what with these people liking their own posts? Who does that?

Jesus certainly would fit into all of the holidays centered on awaiting the Messiah.

If he were Messiah, that is. :lol:

I like the stern warnings from random poster that this is a Christian page, so please keep the Jewness on low laydeez.

I'm sitting here, reading his responses and LAUGHING because its all "STRAWWWS ! STRAWS! GRASP AT THE STRAWS! "

I am assuming he means that there are inconsistencies in the Tanakh (what he calls "tenac" or whatever) and therefore Jesus. I want him to explain to me how Jesus is the reason for the 2 creation stories while he is at it.

And she cannot argue. Show me a Jew who cannot argue. I know it is a stereotype, but in my experience Jews can almost universally both write and argue.

*snort* I (Jewish) quoted this to my husband (not Jewish) and he laughed. But then again, one of the very first things he learned about Judaism was 'two Jews, three opinions'. Oh, and that if he's ill I will immediately make him chicken soup. You know, the important stuff.

The Jews for Jesus people freak me out and disgust me, in equal measures. And I remember a synagogue in the states I attended for a few years that also had 'why the JFJs are utterly wrong and how to tell them so' presentations. I hate that they're even needed.

My sister's very weird BIL goes (at least sometimes) to a Messianic congregation. He is 100 percent not Jewish. I don't get it.

Yes, back in my more innocent days, I thought the Jews for Jesus were converts to Christianity trying to practice Christianity without submerging their identity in Christendom. I talk with some Messianics online who say they attend Messianic services because it's the only non-punitive, non-authoritarian choice within driving distance that offers lots of singing and dancing. Others seem to feel a genuine call to Torah observance and I wonder whether they're going to convert to Judaism eventually (which in my church is not seen as a loss, just a move to another branch of the family). Others appear to be trying to "get it right" by reconstructing the first-century Church: an impressive goal with a perfectionist motive, unfortunately. And there are the dabblers who'll probably turn pretend-Catholic or something in a year or two.

I should stop reading the argument but I can't. It's like a torrent of Caps Lock diarrhea. Can somebody please shut this guy down?

Also, heinz57: while Orthodox Jews do see the Torah as written by God, the Jews for Jesus plan of attack seems to be to target Jews that are not particularly religious and have limited knowledge of the scriptures and, therefore, people who probably don't think that Jewish texts were written by God.

Once upon a time, when I was young and innocent, I heard the words 'Jews for Jesus' and assumed that it was an organisation of Christians who happened to have Jewish family backgrounds (say, a Jewish father or grandfather, or whatever). I long for those innocent days. Sigh.

As I said in my disclaimer, I didn't follow this debate (though obviously I was cheering for the FJ camp). And to be completely honest, I don't know much about Jews for Jesus - I don't know if we have them in Europe, but I have never seen/met/heard of them here (though my guess is that to have JfJ, you'd have to have a significant number of fundies first - and I have never seen any either). I also thought for the longest time JfJ were real Jews who converted to christianity... :oops:

If anybody really wants to know how Jesus fits into all the festivals, anna matrix can tell you ;-)

If anybody really wants to know how Jesus fits into all the festivals, anna matrix can tell you ;-)

Is that the one who thought Purim was a day of fasting and sorrow?

Is that the one who thought Purim was a day of fasting and sorrow?

If there is someone that thought that...links? Because that's just crazy seeing as how that's the opposite of what Purim actually is. No idea people can believe that when a simple google search proves it wrong.

If there is someone that thought that...links? Because that's just crazy seeing as how that's the opposite of what Purim actually is. No idea people can believe that when a simple google search proves it wrong.

Google search? why bother?

I clearly remember a commenter on Lina's blog who was wishing a happy Yom Kippur! :? (and saying her children are all excited because they'll be eating apples with honey)

Guest Anonymous

OK, I've been sucked into watching the argument again. I wish I had a Facebook account but I'm not going to create one just for this.

Today's fresh Hell:

If you have an issue the orthodox jewish bible is on youversion app. I typed the words exactly as it shows.

If you dont like what it says then your issue is with that translation. Do you should contaxt them and tell them they incorrectly have Moshiach in the verse.

I am merely copying what is there in the OjB.

Aaaah! The Orthodox Jewish Bible is not a Bible that is used or endorsed by Orthodox Jews. It is not even Jewish. It is a Messianic Bible that just happens to be called "The Orthodox Jewish Bible". The deception is almost certainly intentional. This book is annotated with modern Messianic crap and cannot be used to demonstrate what actual Jews believe. Once again: Aaaaah! It's so frustrating!

Also, modern-day annotation is not the same as translation!

ETA: I sneakily edited my wording but the old version got quoted in full. Ah well, I'm not changing it back.

OK, I've been sucked into watching the argument again. I wish I had a Facebook account but I'm not going to create one just for this.

Today's fresh Hell:

Aaaah! The Orthodox Jewish Bible is not a Bible that is used or endorsed by Orthodox Jews. It is not even Jewish. It is a Messianic Bible that just happens to be called "The Orthodox Jewish Bible". The deception is almost certainly intentional. This book is annotated with modern Messianic crap and cannot be used to demonstrate what actual Jews believe. Once again: Aaaaah! It's so frustrating!

Also, intentionally editorial modern annotation is not the same as translation!

I kind of figured "The Orthodox Jewish Bible" was some messianic bullshit.

I also kind of want to wade into the conversation, but I don't want anything about it showing up on my facebook page and I'm not sure what will happen if I post in the Duggar group

Guest Anonymous

Here's a little hinty for anyone who might confuse a Messianic Bible for the Jewish Tenakh: The Jewish Bible does not have a New Testament.

Here's a little hinty for anyone who might confuse a Messianic Bible for the Jewish Tenakh: The Jewish Bible does not have a New Testament.

Also, if you google "The Orthodox Jewish Bible" the second page that comes up is the wikipedia page about messianic bible translations. You know what? Fuck it, I'm going in.

ETA: Shit. Apparently it does show up somewhere, because my brother liked my post and added a comment to the thread. Now I might have to explain my fundie obsession to my family.

I cannot for the life of me remember who it was. But it was definitely on FJ.

Thanks for the tip on the Messianic Bible. I have never heard of this translation and I googled a list of legit Tanakhs and could not find it. I thought maybe s/he had a torah that Orthodox Jews use, but I was pretty sure that moshiach was not in there. I was looking at all these commentaries trying to figure it out.

And then I realized, I am thinking like a Jew, not a Messianic Jew. :lol:

Also, if you google "The Orthodox Jewish Bible" the second page that comes up is the wikipedia page about messianic bible translations. You know what? Fuck it, I'm going in.

ETA: Shit. Apparently it does show up somewhere, because my brother liked my post and added a comment to the thread. Now I might have to explain my fundie obsession to my family.

Nah, just say it showed up on your feed because one of your friends commented on it.

I've had a few of my friends from my shul "like" my hotheaded reactions to his claiming he's not a fake Jew.

Guest Anonymous

Google search? why bother?

I clearly remember a commenter on Lina's blog who was wishing a happy Yom Kippur! :? (and saying her children are all excited because they'll be eating apples with honey)

Apples and honey for Yom Kippur:

http://freejinger.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3836&hilit=apples+honey

Purim and fasting (from Page 2 on):

http://freejinger.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2861&hilit=purim+jamie

Guest Anonymous

Holy Smokes! It looks like Brian Susan has deleted all of his/her mentions of "The Orthodox Jewish Bible". Looks like somebody got caught out! Oops!

His/her most recent post is:

@ WD I love your facebook page. I got the opportunity to see ancient Bibles at a museum in Los Angeles. It was breathtaking. The artwork was so beautiful. I cant imagine printing all that by hand. I wish I could have flipped through the pages to see it all and the printing on some of the bibles was soooo tiny.

As changes of subject go, it's not exactly subtle.

I read a portion of the "Orthodox Jewish Bible" that was posted on the "Messianic Jews Doing it Wrong" blog. This is from “Bersuras HaGelula according to Mattiyahuâ€â€”better known as the Gospel of Matthew:

The huledet (birth) of Rebbe, Melech HaMoshiach was as follows. When Moshiach’s Em, Miryam, had been given in erusin to Yosef [ben Dovid], but before they came together, she was found with child through the Ruach Hakodesh. Her shidduch, Yosef [ben Dovid], being a tzaddik and not wanting to humiliate her publicly, planned to deal with the get (divorce) in a private arrangement. Now just when Yosef [ben Dovid] had thought through to this tachlis (purpose) hinei! A malach Hashem appeared to him in a chalom, and said, Yosef ben Dovid, do not shrink from taking Miryam in nisuim (marriage) as your [basherte (destined mate) aishes chayil (virtuous woman)] kallah (bride), because what has been conceived in her is through the Ruach Hakodesh.

Jeezum H. Crackers, I've studied Hebrew and Yiddish and it still took me 10 minutes to read that paragraph.

Archived