IGNORED

Awesome Quiverfull Documentary

Anxious Girl

Wow. Loved it. It shows a good job of the hardscrabble life that is behind the shallow depiction of tea parties, lace doilies, and chignons.

Loved it!

I wonder what became of her 9 children from her first marriage in terms of religion etc.

She talks about it in the book Quiverfull. If I could find my copy I would tell you but it seems to have grown legs and walked away.

thanks for sharing that video. 12 minutes (or was it 15) of video isn't enough to tell the full story, including what became of the children or even her ex.

Interesting that her husband was black. Seems like so much of QF is about white pride, or just anti race-mixing in general.

Interesting that her husband was black. Seems like so much of QF is about white pride, or just anti race-mixing in general.

I thought that was interesting too. I only know of one black/white family in the blogs I read.

Fucking depressing video.

I remember hearing/reading about this family before, most likely in the "Quiverfull" book. (I checked it out of the library, so I don't have a copy here that I can refer to.)

I agree that the documentary only tells part of the story. I, too, would like to know what happened to the children from the first marriage. Also, I saw from the documents that the church involved in the lawsuit was Calvary Chapel, which isn't a hardcore fundie/Quiverfull denomination. Their original members were hippies and surfers and today they're very active in the Christian rock movement. I'll have to look around and find out more about this church's Quiverfull connections.

Calvary Chapel, at least the members I've known, are heading toward fundy. They are into modest dressing but more modern modest than frumpers and are absolutely patriarchal. Girls have been kicked out of their school here for speaking up or answering questions in class. They do sports though and are not quiverful that I've ever seen. Women can wear pants at least in certain circumstances.

They're KJV only and on the intolerant of disagreement with their principles side of things. It's almost like a gateway to superfundy church.

I thought that was interesting too. I only know of one black/white family in the blogs I read.

Fucking depressing video.

Is that the Not Her Own girl or someone else?

Good video, might read her book as I want to know more

Is that the Not Her Own girl or someone else?

Good video, might read her book as I want to know more

I can't remember the blog, it's not one I follow regularly, just one that pops up. She always wears old fashioned dresses, always cuts her photos off so her face doesn't show and does lots of canning and tea drinking. I have a feeling she's mixed race.

Ring a bell?

I can't remember the blog, it's not one I follow regularly, just one that pops up. She always wears old fashioned dresses, always cuts her photos off so her face doesn't show and does lots of canning and tea drinking. I have a feeling she's mixed race.

Ring a bell?

No, definitely not her. I haven't seen that blog. I guess it makes two. The Not Her Own blog woman seems to be fairly religious but not all that fundie. She wears jeans and works part-time as an engineer. Her husband looks Indian. Her sister is the Maidens of Worth girl.

I was aware of this case. I wasn't aware that her lawsuit was finally settled.

Calvary Chapels are an affiliation of churches and not a denomination. They share resources and pastoral training but are independent and have very little oversight of the head Pastor of any specific CC, except to have the approval of California for church planting in the first place.

The head of the CA CC recently stated that children are no longer a blessing, and they have a long-standing policy that children are not permitted in the sanctuary in amost all of their churches. So, I don't QF is an across the board policy. However, the biblical grounds for divorce crap is VERY CC and very classic CC (and a lot of Evangelic Christians whether they are in Patriarchy or not).

The thing about CC is that each church is unique and can be anything from the hippy, laid-back mega-church variety to nearly an IFB type church with Patriarchy, Quiverful and family integrated services with KJV only biblical authority.

That was a very powerful video. I'd heard of her, but only in passing on a couple of websites.

Side note... I really need to buy the book (Quiverful by Kathryn Joyce.)

A more recent interview with Seelhoff say ALL the kids, all of hers & all of her second husband's and 2 more they had together, lived with her & her new husband, homesteading & being unschooled. Two were married & had their own kids at the time of that interview. I can't quite figure out what the date of the article was.

http://www.homeedmag.com/seelhoffvs.welch/news.html

I saw this a while back but never thought to share because it was only 15 minutes and by CTV lol. I wish a longer format show would take up the issue like 16: 9 or The Fifth Estate.

Wasn't hard to dig up information on where she is now.

Evidentally, she retained custody of all of her minor children, and had two more with her second husband. She won her lawsuits and published her magazine again for two years after the settlement were reached with those she sued. She became a single mother again in 2008, still raising the last of her children ona homestead she purchased near the original one she lost when the church destroyed her life by the gossip and deliberate attempts to stop her magazine.

http://quiverfull.wordpress.com/2008/06 ... uiverfull/

She started a blog about the Quiverfull movement in 2008.

She also maintains a personal blog that appears radically feminist with a heavy leaning towards LBGT happenings and awareness.

http://womensspace.wordpress.com/

Her blog also has a website, but I haven't explored what is on the site yet.

http://www.womensspace.org/

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I found this documentary on the QF movement.

anct8wFLwFA

Cheryl Seelhoff is now a feminist and has her own Twitter and blog. I took it upon myself to extend an invitation to her to join FJ. I would love to hear from her perspective.

womensspace.wordpress.com/some-articles-and-books-about-me-or-relevant-to-my-life-and-history/

As I recall, she has a horrifying story, but is also kind of batshit.

First read about Cheryl 4 or 5 years ago & "horrifying" is a good word to describe what the cabal put her thru.

"Batshit," though? I've never thought so. Could you elaborate, please?

:). Asking in spirit of gaining insight/info, it's too nice a day to argue.

As I recall, she has a horrifying story, but is also kind of batshit.

I get a somewhat extremist vibe from her as well.

I have a friend from childhood who spent her adolescent years exploring religions. She started out really fundamentalist and would go through periods of being close to converting to Buddhism, Judaism, Catholicism, and Islam. In between each of these really intense periods, she would suddenly get really ilberal, before becoming really conservative again. As an adult, she seems to have found a happy balance that is relatively moderate. Obviously, getting out of a cult with multiple children is a much more emotionally trying event than a 14 year old trying to choose a religion. But I wonder if as Cheryl was coming out of the Quiverfull movement she went through periods where some of what she wrote/said was crazier than other times. I think with really life changing experiences - like being ostracized from your community - reclaiming your identity and processing what happened sometimes looks insane to other people.

Cheryl has gone through some wide swings in philosophy, but she has also been put through some pretty tight ringers, and if she appears a little crazy sometimes, I'm not going to hold it against her.

She is also a friend of mine.

Cheryl Seelhoff is also the blogger Heart who has said nasty transphobic things, right? I remember the drama about her a few years ago but I am not 100% sure it's the same person.

Archived