IGNORED

Any X-Philes Out There?

FaustianSlip

My first girl crush was(is) Scully. Not Gillian Anderson, but Scully. To a teenager whose parents were kinda controlling and pains in the ass, she was everything I wanted to be- smart, sarcastic, and hanging around with MULDER dude.

I love the x-files. So much so that my husband's paternity leave, any time the TV is on its either Dr Who or The X-files.

We have a deal- he'll watch the x-files with me if I watch Dr Who with him. :lol:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree with the Scully love. She's just so damn awesome.

I also ran across this video on YouTube recently, which I thoroughly enjoyed:

EvWs7Hwx0Lo

I just watched the episode "Born Again," and I couldn't help but crack up when everyone expressed incredulity that the kid would know origami- or, as Scully referred to it, "the obscure art of paper folding." I lived in small-town Maine, and we still had books in the library on origami, for crying out loud!

So, as some folks may or may not have heard, there was a rumor going around a day or two ago that David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson hooked up. Not true, according to the respective actors involved, but it totally resurrected my inner X-Files fangirl (I was a huge, huge fan of the show in high school and up through the beginning of college), so I started rewatching my DVDs today. I had forgotten just how fantastic this show was, especially in the early seasons. Also, the '90s were a terrifying time, fashion-wise. Good Lord, Scully's outfits! Mulder's ties! I just don't even....

Anyway, just curious to know if there's anyone else out there who is similarly... spooky. Heh.

I loved the x files and I am totally into all things "spooky"....just been trying to keep it under wraps a bit until I get the feel for the place!

Huge fan here. I find myself referencing some part of it on a frequent basis, if not daily. Wanting to learn more about the show was actually introduction to the non-academic side of the internet - the small (or sometimes big, like gossamer) fansites, the awkward manips, fanfiction. Before lj, tumblr, facebook, etc.

:dance:

I hardly ever come over here but saw this thread -- I was a superfan in college. My dad used to record them on VHS on Friday ngihts and send me the tape once-month. I kept those videos for YEARS and have a box in my attic of various XFiles stuff including fanfic and some convention stuff I bought.

My first handle on AOL was MzBmprhmpr.

bionicmlle, I taped the episodes too and still have some of those cassettes even if I don't have a VHS recorder any longer :-)

I'm also huge Scully fan and spent a lot of time on gossamer in the late 90s.

Anyone want to recommend their favourite fanfic?

I was and still am amulbunny from aol. I loved the archives and read lots and lots of fan fiction. I became friends with MacSpoolky who wrote an entire universe for M/S and had Scully's mom marry Skinner. I was on the AOL board and the alt.tv.xfiles board till it basically died out. And I had to leave AOL because my of my then idiot husbands demands. I remember being in the AOL chat board on 9/11 and how we were all basically in shock.

My now not an idiot husband tells me he dreams of GA because she is so awesome. (doesn't bother me, I dream of some pretty awesome guys myself). He got into the series and has watched and watched again over the years.

I have too many favorite episodes to list. I thought the 1st movie was not very cohesive, could have been a movie of the week but not earned all that extra money. The 2nd movie was ok. Loved Billy Connelly in it.

bionicmlle, I taped the episodes too and still have some of those cassettes even if I don't have a VHS recorder any longer :-)

I'm also huge Scully fan and spent a lot of time on gossamer in the late 90s.

Anyone want to recommend their favourite fanfic?

"Time" by Terma99 and "Blinded by White Light" by Dasha K. Dasha K was also a really good slash writer. Meredith and blueswirl collaborated on a post-occupation story that was organized by seasons, but I don't know if they ever finished it and I can't find it and I don't remember the name. But I remember it was absolutely riveting.

Yesterday was the anniversary of the premiere. I try to watch the Pilot every September 10th, but I was sick yesterday and totally missed it :?

So since a lot of you seem to have been around online for a while (I only found the internet side of things in '04), could I ask for you guys to pick your brains and find a fic for me? It was the first one I read. All I remember is it was split into 3 sections and they had titles like time, distance, and lightning. Or something like those. In it, Scully either went blind or lost her memory and Mulder had to nurse her to health (I'm assuming you've all seen the ~25 things I've learned from xf fanfic~) and the big "I love you" happened in like a rose garden or something super cheesy (I was 14, give me a break). It wasn't on Gossamer at the time, just one of the smaller sites. I can't for the life of me find it.

My brother is the one who turned me onto the X-Files and I remember watching it in high school. I remember it was a Friday night thing to do along with watching Outer Limits right after. The show was great and was one of the best shows of the 90's.

I spent the last two evenings immersed in the archives due to this thread :-)

Thanks for the recommendations, Seven Severn, I hadn't read "Blinded by white light" before. That's a great story!

Sorry, clicker dies, your description doesn't ring a bell with me. I'm afraid lots of the smaller sites are no longer online, so you might have a hard time finding it.

Some of my favourites include "Dance without sleeping" by Lydia Bower and "No more demons" by Penny Daza (just found it again tonight after not being able to remember the tile for ages!).

TOwards the end of the first season when GA was so pregnant; we'd watch and see how they tried to disguise her. When Season2 started, they basically wrote One Breath for her so she could just lie there in that hospital bed and let the action go on around her. Her boobs were enormous because she had just had Piper.

One_Breath_William_and_Dana.jpg

I just spent $70 on the first 4 seasons. After reading this thread, the Lord led me to buy them. /sarcasm

I think you mean that the Lord laid it on your heart to buy them. Truly, our God is an awesome God! Hallelujah!

I hope you got permission from your Headship first, though. Ahem.

One thing that I loved about the show was that it never talked down to the viewers. The writers assumed that we were intelligent. I loved that. After season five, I stopped watching though.

What was the episode with the mother who lived under the bed? I don't know why that one disturbed me so much. It wasn't really scary.

One thing that I loved about the show was that it never talked down to the viewers. The writers assumed that we were intelligent. I loved that. After season five, I stopped watching though.

What was the episode with the mother who lived under the bed? I don't know why that one disturbed me so much. It wasn't really scary.

Was it Home?

I liked it a lot in high school, but I never got to watch whole seasons in a row, because my fundie family went off and on again with the TV, so I was usually reduced to watching whatever rerun was playing at the gym when I went to use the elliptical or something. I was a great fan of the intelligence of the show and the characters (and David Duchovny's looks). I think the faith/reason dialectic resonated with me a lot as a smart fundie teen who really wanted to reconcile these things.

I wanted to watch it more comprehensively a few years ago, but I seem to have gotten more squeamish in my old age and it scares me too much! Boo!

Oh God, fucking "Home." The gang-bang incest was gross enough, :puke-front: but the thing that always stayed with me was the brutal and fairly gratuitous way the sheriff's wife was killed by the Peacock brothers. I mean, it's actually a pretty good episode, but definitely one where it felt like they were pushing boundaries for the sake of pushing boundaries. Don't need to see that one again—sixteen years later, and it's still pretty indelible in my mind.

My ALL TIME FAVOURITE X-files moment was Mulder and Scully playing baseball. God I loved that scene.

The Unnatural! I love it.

Last night I had a mini marathon - X-Cops, Humbug, and Elegy. I hadn't seen the latter in like 6-7 years, so it was pretty new to me. That just doesn't happen when it comes to txf.

Okay, after talking about it for months, I finally hauled out some of the old VHS tapes (!) and introduced a friend to the show through a first season mini-marathon (the pilot, "Deep Throat," "Conduit," and "Ice"). She was enraptured by the time the credits rolled on the first episode. Although I did find myself having to tell her that not every episode ends with the government destroying the evidence. :lol:

What blew my mind was seeing Felicity Huffman and Xander Berkeley in "Ice." I remembered Seth Green, I know people like Bryan Cranston show up in later seasons, and I recognized some Canadian actors who eventually turned up on Supernatural, but those two I had no recollection of whatsoever. Probably because I haven't watched these tapes since the '90s, before 24 and possibly even before Sports Night, so those were some eye-opening guest credits.

Oh, and "The Unnatural" is one of my favorites too. Plus it was my introduction to Jesse L. Martin and Fred Lehne, except in their cases I actually remembered them from the show when they resurfaced in other roles.

Okay, after talking about it for months, I finally hauled out some of the old VHS tapes (!) and introduced a friend to the show through a first season mini-marathon (the pilot, "Deep Throat," "Conduit," and "Ice"). She was enraptured by the time the credits rolled on the first episode. Although I did find myself having to tell her that not every episode ends with the government destroying the evidence. :lol:

Ice was one of the best/scariest episodes to me, because it's totally plausible!

Ice was one of the best/scariest episodes to me, because it's totally plausible!

I loved Ice too, for another reason though. It was the first episode I ever saw and still contains some of the best UST in the series.

What blew my mind was seeing Felicity Huffman and Xander Berkeley in "Ice." I remembered Seth Green, I know people like Bryan Cranston show up in later seasons, and I recognized some Canadian actors who eventually turned up on Supernatural, but those two I had no recollection of whatsoever. Probably because I haven't watched these tapes since the '90s, before 24 and possibly even before Sports Night, so those were some eye-opening guest credits.

Oh, and "The Unnatural" is one of my favorites too. Plus it was my introduction to Jesse L. Martin and Fred Lehne, except in their cases I actually remembered them from the show when they resurfaced in other roles.

Brent Butt was in "Bad Blood" (he was the pathologist that got gnawed by the kid) long before he was in Corner Gas (love that show).

Brian Cranston was in the episode Drive. The guy had to drive or his head would explode. They filmed the scene where they finally reached the ocean at White's Point Park in San Pedro. It was a great episode.

Archived