IGNORED

Any X-Philes Out There?

FaustianSlip

So, as some folks may or may not have heard, there was a rumor going around a day or two ago that David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson hooked up. Not true, according to the respective actors involved, but it totally resurrected my inner X-Files fangirl (I was a huge, huge fan of the show in high school and up through the beginning of college), so I started rewatching my DVDs today. I had forgotten just how fantastic this show was, especially in the early seasons. Also, the '90s were a terrifying time, fashion-wise. Good Lord, Scully's outfits! Mulder's ties! I just don't even....

Anyway, just curious to know if there's anyone else out there who is similarly... spooky. Heh.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[raises hand]

Pretty much all my close friends and I were X-Philes to varying degrees. I didn't get into it until the second season; I'm not much of a sci-fi person, but then Krycek showed up (Nick Lea could not be a more textbook example of my type) and suddenly I became rabid about the show, all on the slender hope that the character would eventually return. :lol: Along the way, I got into the show on its own merits and ultimately stayed until the bitter, bitter end, by which point I was practically hate-watching it. But yeah, speed-bump episodes aside (*cough*TESO DOS BICHOS*cough), it was a great, great show up through Season 5/6. Too bad the first movie was pretty meh and the show had no post-Samantha endgame; I only saw the second movie because a friend was an extra in it. I'd be content letting the series lie there, but honestly, I'm kind of hoping somebody with a solid gameplan reboots the concept at some point.

Favorite Darin Morgan episode: Still "Humbug," with "Jose Chung" a close second. "Clyde Bruckman" was great and all, but I still prefer the other two.

The first four/five seasons on the show were some of the best ever shown on tv IMO. I loved pretty much every episode, although sadly, things dropped off badly after that. The Lonegunmen remain some of my favourite characters ever on tv.

I don't know about DD and GA hooking up, I always heard they really didn't get on during shooting, but who knows. They're both kind of...interesting people.

My favourite episodes would be, Memento Mori (I was a big shipper, so shoot me), Small Potatoes, Pusher, and the two Tooms episodes.

I was totally into the X-Files... but I think in the end I was more into Duchovny than anything, since I quit watching it after he left.

If it's true, then that's one of the weirdest things to come out of Hollywood in a while. Are there any photos of her kids out there? I know she keeps them under wraps.

Also in that link, it says that DD has full custody of his kids with Tea Leoni. Does anyone know if that's true?

I don't know- if it is, I'm kind of surprised to hear it, given Duchovny's past sex addiction issues and stuff. Though maybe Tea Leoni didn't want custody, for some reason. I've always been under the impression that barring exceptional circumstances, joint custody is the usual outcome in cases of divorce like this.

As for the Gillian Anderson/David Duchovny secret lovechild thing, there aren't many pictures out there of Piper or Anderson's other kids. Looking at the couple of photos I could find of Gillian Anderson and her daughter Piper, I don't see anything about Piper's face that screams out to me that she's Duchovny's kid, but it can be hard to tell with kids, anyway. To me, David Duchovny's most distinctive facial feature is his nose, and if his kids didn't get that, it makes it harder to look and say, "Oh, yeah, that kid is definitely his." I did, however, find these photos of David and Gillian with their respective kids.

As far as favorite episodes, outside of the mythology episodes, I loved that episode "Arcadia," where Mulder and Scully were living in suburbia as the Petris and homeowners' association is killing people. I'm watching the first season episode "Fire" now, which completely freaked me out when I saw it sometime in junior high. I think it was actually the first episode of the show I ever watched; my dad had heard it was good and made us all sit down and watch it, and then it's an episode with people spontaneously combusting and people finding charred bodies in bathrooms. Whoops! My mom almost killed him, and I remember peeking around bathroom doors for weeks, half expecting to find someone's burnt remains in the bathtub or something.

Watching the series again, I'm struck by what great characters both Mulder and Scully were- Scully especially, in that they don't go out of their way at all to make her some sexpot (quite the opposite, I would argue, based on her wardrobe for the first three seasons). She's just geeky and brainy and sharp as a tack- far and away one of the best female characters on television, even if it was Mulder's snark (and, admittedly, David Duchovny's looks) that won me over first.

I loved the show when I was younger, sort of fell out of the fandom and got back into it recently. From what I can remember, Scully was the only female fictional character that I wanted to be when I was younger. She was just that awesome!

Favourite episode: Eve (for now, it may change).

Loved and still the show. One of the best ever, imo. My favorite eps are probably "Bad Blood," "The Unnatural," "Paperclip," "Anasazi"/"Blessing Way," "The Post-Modern Prometheus," and "Clyde Bruckman..." Oh, hell...and a whole bunch of others. Oh, and "Squeeze" which is the first one I saw.

The whole GA/DD thing is sooooo complicated. If they are hooking up now then I'd say it's about fucking time.

Did anyone else here read fanfic? DashaK and Terma99 were my favorite writers.

edited: say not said. oy. and also a d.

Love and still the show. One of the best ever, imo. My favorite eps are probably "Bad Blood," "The Unnatural," "Paperclip," "Anasazi"/"Blessing Way," "The Post-Modern Prometheus," and "Clyde Bruckman..." Oh, hell...and a whole bunch of others. Oh, and "Squeeze" which is the first one I saw.

The whole GA/DD thing is sooooo complicated. If they are hooking up now then I'd said it's about fucking time.

Did anyone else here read fanfic? DashaK and Terma99 were my favorite writers.

I admit to reading Krycek/Mulder/Skinner hottub slash :oops:

I was in one of the original AOL chat rooms for the XFiles. I have a fan fic archived at Ephemeral. My user name for most of my other accounts was my AOL name. I loved it till Mulder left and the Lone Gunman jumped the shark.

As far as GA & DD hooking up now, stranger things have happened.

I was a totally into the show till about the 6th season? Then I got confused and missed the good old one episode weirdness stories.

The whole GA/DD thing is sooooo complicated. If they are hooking up now then I'd say it's about fucking time.

Agree. I never really bought the whole, "Oh, we're not even friends," thing. It was just.... It never made sense. Not with the kind of chemistry they had on screen, which I think it would be really tough to maintain for as long as they did if you have zero outside connection and/or can't really stand one another, no matter how professional you are. Whenever I heard that, I couldn't help but think that they protest too much. And seeing those recent interview videos.... Those aren't two people who have zero relationship outside of work and aren't friends at all. I don't buy it. Admittedly, though, that could be largely wishful thinking on my part.

I'm a few episodes away from wrapping up the first season now, and have ordered seasons five and six so I don't run out of episodes after the four seasons I already owned on DVD. Ahem. I'm also totally rekindling my love for David Duchovny. Man, he really was easy on the eyes. Still, is really, though every time I see an episode of Californication (which isn't often), I feel like I need to go and take a shower after.

I also ran across this blog, where a cartoonist is watching an episode a week and drawing up an accompanying cartoon to go with the ep. They're pretty hilarious.

I love this series.

We just finished watching the whole thing from start to finish - it was kind of neat to watch it that way. There was a lot of stuff I missed just watching every week.

I was in one of the original AOL chat rooms for the XFiles. I have a fan fic archived at Ephemeral. My user name for most of my other accounts was my AOL name. I loved it till Mulder left and the Lone Gunman jumped the shark.

As far as GA & DD hooking up now, stranger things have happened.

Oh Ephemeral, how many hours I wasted there. :romance-heartbeating:

Another fan checking in! I had actually never seen this show until around Nov. 2010, and then watched all 7 seasons and 2 movies in a few months. I love-love-love the Mulder/Scully partnership. A few months ago I started rewatching the series at a much slower pace and am really enjoying it. Seasons 1 and 4 were my favorite, though I liked Season 7 because they spent so many episodes poking fun at themselves, and it worked, IMO. They definitely should have ended it after Season 7.

Super fan over here. I was completely obsessed with this show in college. Scully was and still is one of the few strong female leads in television and I love how they swapped the stereotypes of the skeptic and the believer. As much as I loved Scully though, the Lone Gunmen were my favorite characters on the show. When they killed them off, I damn near cried.

Some of my favorite episodes: Ice (the feeling of being trapped was creepy), Beyond the Sea (one of Gillian Anderson's best performances in my opinion), Home (if the powers that be ban an episode from ever airing again, you know it's a good one), Small Potatoes (just because it was funny), Triangle (I loved the boat scene, it was amazing), X-cops (again for the humor), and of course any scene in any episode that features the gunmen.

I loved the show, watched it faithfully until the network that aired it in Holland moved it to a different day and time and I just kept forgetting about it. We own the first 7 seasons and I like to pretend that the last two seasons never happened(I do the same with Buffy) though I did catch some of the later episodes here and there in syndication.

I read a lot of fanfiction too :dance:

I used to troll the Gossamer archives like a mofo back in the day, and lately I've gone back and started rereading stuff. I had never read Oklahoma, for instance, and I ran across a recommendation on Livejournal or somewhere. It was just amazing, for anyone who hasn't read it before- it's a ProfilerMulder story, so no Scully, but the character development and the storyline were just phenomenally done. The original characters, in particular, were fantastic, especially given that by necessity, the story was loaded with them. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I'm nearing the end of the first season, and while I want to watch episode after episode, a part of me wants to stretch things out so my rewatch lasts longer. Heh.

I used to troll the Gossamer archives like a mofo back in the day, and lately I've gone back and started rereading stuff. I had never read Oklahoma, for instance, and I ran across a recommendation on Livejournal or somewhere. It was just amazing, for anyone who hasn't read it before- it's a ProfilerMulder story, so no Scully, but the character development and the storyline were just phenomenally done. The original characters, in particular, were fantastic, especially given that by necessity, the story was loaded with them. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I'm nearing the end of the first season, and while I want to watch episode after episode, a part of me wants to stretch things out so my rewatch lasts longer. Heh.

I'm just starting this. We'll see how far I get. :)

The Gossamer archives are bringing back so many memories, but damnit, I still can't find a Meredith and Blueswirl collaboration that's been haunting me for over a decade. As of '00 or '01 they hadn't finished it so maybe they opted not to have it archived at Gossamer or Ephemeral. The story was riveting and I've always wanted to know how it ended.

Weird, I found this thread just as I got a notion to watch an episode! Currently waiting for Unruhe to download!

I was a pretty young child when the show was on initially, but I remember being aware of it because we played a game based on the Squeeze episode at school. I only remember seeing a few of the episodes when they came out- The one with the cannibal chicken factory (Our Town?), Eve, Squeeze, Tooms , Fluke Man and Signs and Wonders. The last one made a big impression on me, maybe I was always fascinated by fundies!

I remember reading the YA novels of Flukeman, the Our Town and Eve (I think) when I was about 8, because they were shelved in the kid's section. Freaked me right out! The OH keeps saying Unruhe is great, so I'm giving it a go...

Archived