IGNORED

Kelly: I Have the Gift of Prophecy

DomWackTroll

Kelly just reported today that she has suffered a miscarriage.

http://www.generationcedar.com/main/201 ... l#comments

Its in comment #35, if you page down.

Well, I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but I can't say I'm upset that there will not be another arrow in the Generation Cedar quiver. Isn't her youngest something like 16-17 months old anyway? It hasn't been all that long, and I don't think their house is even finished yet. Kelly's room is done, but they saved the kids' spaces for last :roll:

I also find the timing of her announcement somewhat suspicious. IMO she was mentally outmatched (to a LARGE degree) by LVH in that comment, and fishing for sympathy would be a good way to get readers to quit asking her so many hard questions.

ETA: She has really been on a homeskool-is-teh-AWESOME kick lately, no? Wonder what's fueling that :?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kelly and her minions are really something else! They make idols out of homeschooling and motherhood and then have the nerve to admonish others for "making idols". Oh, the irony!

A miscarriage? I'm genuinely sorry for her loss.

I don't agree with much of anything Kelly says, but life has been smacking the ever-living shit out of her this past year.

ETA: She has really been on a homeskool-is-teh-AWESOME kick lately, no? Wonder what's fueling that :?

My guess: Loss. Home, security...quite a lot, actually. Oh sure, her minions restored a lot to her and even added some, but that doesn't change the fact of her suffering.

I was, am, and likely always will be an ardent critic of Kelly and her ideas. But damn...

My guess: Loss. Home, security...quite a lot, actually. Oh sure, her minions restored a lot to her and even added some, but that doesn't change the fact of her suffering.

I was, am, and likely always will be an ardent critic of Kelly and her ideas. But damn...

Hmm...perhaps. Certainly they have been through A LOT in the last year and a half.

If I had to guess, though, after reading back through some older entries, I'd say it has to do with Bria "graduating" and Kelly taking some criticism over Bria's future plans or lack thereof. Kelly is right in the fact that going to university after high school is not the right choice for every teen. There are myriad other ways to continue your education. There are jobs and legitimate internships that you can pursue. You can join the military. You can do something volunteer-based, like the Peace Corps, CityYear, or Teach for America.

But of course Bria will not do any of those things. And it's not so much that Bria will not be "forced" to go to college, it's that the university path will not even be open to her because of her sub-par education and parental brainwashing. So far the only thing that Bria has committed to is serving Kelly others by continuing to do what she's been doing for years: staying at home and helping to raise her young siblings. While I don't think Bria necessarily needs to make an immediate decision about her future plans, I will be shocked if she commits to anything besides SAHDhood, until and unless she bags herself a husband.

But of course Bria will not do any of those things. And it's not so much that Bria will not be "forced" to go to college, it's that the university path will not even be open to her because of her sub-par education and parental brainwashing. So far the only thing that Bria has committed to is serving Kelly others by continuing to do what she's been doing for years: staying at home and helping to raise her young siblings. While I don't think Bria necessarily needs to make an immediate decision about her future plans, I will be shocked if she commits to anything besides SAHDhood, until and unless she bags herself a husband.

I understand your concern.

There have been enough walk-aways from this religious system, however, that I think a lot of these kids are, after a point, making their own decisions.

If Bria doesn't realize it yet, she will soon – that she can, in fact, create her own life. She may not be aware of all the options available to her, but she could certainly research them even as other “homeschool drop-outs†have done. (We've even seen the devastating situation of homosexual children separating themselves from the insular religious communities where they grew up.)

I'm not pretending it's easy or painless to walk away from friends and family who will subsequently shun you, but it's demonstrably possible for someone like Bria to leave: There's a point past which, if Bria stays, she's doing so because she has decided to do so.

I'm not pretending it's easy or painless to walk away from friends and family who will subsequently shun you, but it's demonstrably possible for someone like Bria to leave: There's a point past which, if Bria stays, she's doing so because she has decided to do so.

I think the likelihood that she would is almost non-existent. She doesn't know about another kind of life. Also she seems to be very scared of the unknown. She talks about the evil of this and that (and often things she doesn't know much about unfortunately). But let's pretend there is actually some kind of likelihood that she would leave, what could a young woman like her do? Join the military? Could she provide for herself? How are home-schooled people "valued" at the labor market? There is this huge unemployment among the young here in Europe (I don't know how it's like over there) but here, you don't have the greatest shot at getting a job if you don't have a college degree or a special kind of personality or suitability.

I think the likelihood that she would is almost non-existent. She doesn't know about another kind of life. Also she seems to be very scared of the unknown. She talks about the evil of this and that (and often things she doesn't know much about unfortunately). But let's pretend there is actually some kind of likelihood that she would leave, what could a young woman like her do? Join the military? Could she provide for herself? How are home-schooled people "valued" at the labor market? There is this huge unemployment among the young here in Europe (I don't know how it's like over there) but here, you don't have the greatest shot at getting a job if you don't have a college degree or a special kind of personality or suitability.

While it may not be likely that she will go to college, and it would be difficult to pay for without the support of her parents, she certainly can get into college. Being homeschooled is not an impediment to college admissions.

While it may not be likely that she will go to college, and it would be difficult to pay for without the support of her parents, she certainly can get into college. Being homeschooled is not an impediment to college admissions.

It sure as hell can be if the curriculum is inaccurate and the student can't pass admission tests.

Her first step wouldn't likely be to get a job, but rather to seek out government assistance - first to find a place to live (e.g., a youth shelter) while she completes her HS education, and then eventually a job after having received some kind of post-secondary schooling.

ETA: ...or more likely, to seek out help from non-fundie family members.

No, but the SOTDRT sure as hell is.

Nah. Year or two of community college and she could probably transfer to a four year college. Maybe she takes a few remedial courses. Or she could go somewhere like Liberty or Grove City where homeschool admissions is a breeze, even from SOTDRT. I know a few pretty marginally educated homeschooled kids who have been able to pass the admissions tests and go to college. Point is, her education is not what is limiting her.

Archived