IGNORED

United States of Bates Debut Excitement MERGED

homeschoolmomma1

I saw that!! I'm thinkin that Grandma may have a mouth on her (love that)! Maybe she's like JimSlob's Dad was and doesn't exactly approve of all of the fellowshippin and quiverin that goes on. The rest of the family seems pretty normal.

That was TOTALLY implied. LOVED it!

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the Spencers are an extremely aristocratic family who can trace their family back to the Stuarts so she very probably did have royal bood, and even if not came from a very priviledged background. She may have been naive and badly treated but that does not change the fact the she had a much easier time of it than someone struggling on a council estate.

I am proud to be a republican (in the UK sense of the word). I do not consider myself an inverted snob, and I certainly don't envy the royals their burden. I just happen to believe that a system which sets someone up as the head of my country just because of an accident of birth has no place in a modern democracy. I strongly object to my taxes paying for these peoples' lives (and I realise it a very small proportion of my taxes - it's the principle).

The problem is the Duggar and perhaps Bates fans thinks that families who have a few more luxuries are bad parents. We have seen good and bad from all economic backgrounds. IMO the girl in both families are unpaid help and i would rather see a couple of paid nannies..

Actually Charles really loved Camilla but she was almost past child bearing age. One could gather Diana was young blood and made for better photo ops. I understood Diana never liked putting princes before her name.

I wouldn't want them all in my kitchen either! I'm with grandma! How do these people who come from normal families end up like this?

Actually Charles really loved Camilla but she was almost past child bearing age. One could gather Diana was young blood and made for better photo ops.

Camilla was married to Andrew Parker Bowles from 1973 until the mid 90's when they divorced. So she was never an option around the time Diana and Charles married. Even in '05 when they finally did marry, Charles marrying a divorcée was still seen as very controversial and required the approval of the Queen, Parliament and the Church of England.

Finally got through the second epiosde.

The show doesn't have a snowball's chance of making it. Like others have said, even though they are of the same ilk, Gil and Kelly are much more engaged and involved parents. Which is good for the kids, but doesn't really make for quality snark-worthy TV and since the rest of the show's base likely consists of Duggar fans, it will have a "been there and done that" feel for them.

The only thing that saved the second episode was Gil's mother who made no secret of the fact that she couldn't wait to see the backsides of her son's noisy, messy brood. And she mustn't be very Godly because she was wearing jeans the whole time, which we know from Kelly confuses the baby Jesus to no end. The Lord knows what's in your heart, but when it comes to what's in your underthings, he needs better clues.

Slight nitpick. Diana was never 'Princess Diana' but Princess Charles or Princess of Wales. It's much like how Kate Middleton isn't Princess Catherine but Princess William. This is only for women who marry into the Royal family.

The only one who uses the Princess formally as far as I know is Princess Michael of Kent. The rest use the style with their names and not their husband's first names.

Camilla was married to Andrew Parker Bowles from 1973 until the mid 90's when they divorced. So she was never an option around the time Diana and Charles married. Even in '05 when they finally did marry, Charles marrying a divorcée was still seen as very controversial and required the approval of the Queen, Parliament and the Church of England.

Actualy Charles did date Camilla during the early 70's but when the press called her Horse Face I think she decided to marry Parker-Bowles

Slight nitpick. Diana was never 'Princess Diana' but Princess Charles or Princess of Wales. It's much like how Kate Middleton isn't Princess Catherine but Princess William. This is only for women who marry into the Royal family.

The only one who uses the Princess formally as far as I know is Princess Michael of Kent. The rest use the style with their names and not their husband's first names.

Tha main reason most use their names is their Hubbys are Duke's or Earl; so they carry Duchess titles so it is more "proper" to drop the Princess title. You cannot be titled Princess unless you are born to it. Kind of like how Prince Edwards daughter is styled Lady Louise by their choice she truly is a Prioncess due to birthright but her parents have chosen not to use the title as it is a hindrence to employment and just lving a normal life

cEmp4Z9Vgg0

:roll: Who thinks that the Bates' title show as THEIR idea? So staged, it's not even funny!

I liked the episode with Mama Jane and Papa Bill. I loved their cousins, especially the one who twirled on the bar. That girl definitely has taken gymnastics. Kelly would never put her girls in gymnastics. Gil would never allow his boys to do wrestling or other team sports.

I also found Gil full of hot air. At times, I swear he seemed to just want to hear the sound of his voice. There were moments in the show, where I thought that it would have been nice to hear another Bates speak instead of Gil.

I hope the show flops, just so Gil won't have an outlet for his ginormous ego.

Kind of sad how Erin descibed their Valentine's Day table "just like at a ball", but her sister said, "You've never been to a ball." It is sad that a 20 year old has never been out dancing or to a formal dance. She should find one of those VF guys that do all that dressing up in costumes and dancing.

Kind of sad how Erin descibed their Valentine's Day table "just like at a ball", but her sister said, "You've never been to a ball." It is sad that a 20 year old has never been out dancing or to a formal dance. She should find one of those VF guys that do all that dressing up in costumes and dancing.

I thought they would have been to one of those purity balls. Maybe it's a different group of whackadoodles that attend those?

Both episodes are available on Amazon Instant, so I guess they aren't repeating them? "19 Kids" usually takes a couple of days to show up there. I'm hoping it makes youtube, but I might pay just to see the first train wreck.

Both episodes are available on Amazon Instant, so I guess they aren't repeating them? "19 Kids" usually takes a couple of days to show up there. I'm hoping it makes youtube, but I might pay just to see the first train wreck.

Don't. It's way more snoozefest than train wreck and really not worth a nickle to watch. Plus it was poorly edited. The part about the baby's early problems was actually sort of hard to follow and I knew the story.

Don't. It's way more snoozefest than train wreck and really not worth a nickle to watch. Plus it was poorly edited. The part about the baby's early problems was actually sort of hard to follow and I knew the story.

Good to know--thanks! Did the Courtship get mentioned or is that just going to be politely ignored?

new here :D Am I the only one who found them a tad refreshing? I loved the fact that Kelly and Gil actually PARENT. Some other things I enjoyed seeing were...the kids laughing (something you rarely see with the duggars), the older girls joking around with eachother, the ammount of affection they show for one another (loved all the kids hugging eachother), loved seeing how the boys and girls were allowed to sit next to eachother on the bench and GASP their legs were touching! (this would be a huge no no in the duggar house) Loved seeing grandpa nudge grandma LOL, and I loved that the girls got to get dirty with the boys in the mud....idk if this would be allowed with the duggars. All in all they seem much more happy and stable than the duggars and I would watch them over 19k&c ANYDAY!

Good to know--thanks! Did the Courtship get mentioned or is that just going to be politely ignored?

Completely ignored. Aside from Gil and Kelly, the show focused mostly on the girls and younger children.

. All in all they seem much more happy and stable than the duggars and I would watch them over 19k&c ANYDAY!

I don't think their lifestyle is going to lead to happy and stable lives for most of those kids, but as for now, if I want to see happy and stable, I can look out my window and watch the neighborhood kids play tag for free.

new here :D Am I the only one who found them a tad refreshing? I loved the fact that Kelly and Gil actually PARENT. Some other things I enjoyed seeing were...the kids laughing (something you rarely see with the duggars), the older girls joking around with eachother, the ammount of affection they show for one another (loved all the kids hugging eachother), loved seeing how the boys and girls were allowed to sit next to eachother on the bench and GASP their legs were touching! (this would be a huge no no in the duggar house) Loved seeing grandpa nudge grandma LOL, and I loved that the girls got to get dirty with the boys in the mud....idk if this would be allowed with the duggars. All in all they seem much more happy and stable than the duggars and I would watch them over 19k&c ANYDAY!

I'm inclined to agree. Seeing some actual parenting going on was somewhat refreshing, although they did mention 'gratefulness' as a quality that should be taught as part of 'training' - ding ding ding. You would never have seen Duggars rolling around in mud (although I'm sure the lost boy howlers would love some of that - they could be in mud all day before J'chelle noticed they were gone) or giving affectionate hugs to one another. The grandparents are hilarious, although I would have loved to see Grandma do some hollering at muddy children traipsing around!

But we did see neglecting to tell the NICU staff that a ton of kids were coming down to see their brother, 'training' some 'gratefulness' into the kids, Kelly 'Jo' smiling adoringly at her husband every time he opened his mouth, and the chat from a relative about how many kids the family had. It's not all playing in mud and big hairdo's; Gothardism is lurking.

On the other hand, the crappy editing, godawful music, hillbilly font... there's no way this is meant to replace or complement the Duggar show. Sadly, I think both shows are going to run for a while longer. I was really hoping 19kac would be cancelled in favour of the Bates gig, which would run for a season before people got bored with listening to Gil talk and Kelly (Jo) smile adoringly.

[b

I agree with all your observations! I'd like to add how fun it was when Kelly was sharing how she met Gil as they drove through their college campus! Talked right in front of the kids about dating and Kelly talking to Gil's brother to gather info about Gil's feelings towards her! Never happen with JB and Michelle. More laughing from all of them! The other thing shown last night was Kelly being very emotional looking at her newborn baby in the nicu. Those were real tears and a hurting heart she displayed. Again, never see such an emotional release from Michelle. The Bates are just so much more humble, fun loving, affectionate and real with one another than the Duggars.

I'm not sure what's wrong with teaching kids to be grateful. I thought their whole gift exchange was a nice idea, and we used to do something similar in school with secret Santa. The Bates do seem a lot more natural and likeable than the Duggars. Something about the Duggars is just so stiff and... off. JB and Michelle speak like they're reading from a script all the time. Jana seems depressed, Jessa and Jinger always seem kind of resentful, poor Joy is being pigeon-holed into the role of a 'young lady' (watch out Hannie, you're next), the younger boys + Johannah seem to have a good time, but Jenny and Jordyn are constantly silent and terrified. Let's not even get into the madness that was filming Jason's accident, the Jubilee memorial service, the kids' reactions to Michelle announcing her miscarriage (not one of them got up to hug or or say something comforting - not blaming them, but it means something about their relationship, I think), or basically anything Josh Duggar says/does. It just makes you wonder what's really going on behind the scenes. Something is definitely 'off'.

HOWEVER, the Bates have not been on TV very long. They have not had much time to become corrupted, or to show their true colours. I did like that there seemed to be genuine warmth and playfulness in the family, that Kelly came across as a more involved parent than Michelle (not difficult of course), and that they gave a lot of air time to family members who were different, even maybe a bit disapproving. Mama Jane was awesome.

To be honest, I do like the Bates more than the Duggars. Does that mean it's fabulous that they follow Gothardism? Of course not. But it's kind of an interesting contrast between the families.

I think the op was referring to teaching children to be grateful for their "training"... eg, to thank their parents and be grateful when they are disciplined with violence. That is how I read it, anyway.

I don't think their lifestyle is going to lead to happy and stable lives for most of those kids, but as for now, if I want to see happy and stable, I can look out my window and watch the neighborhood kids play tag for free.

Gil and Kelly have, I believe, espouse the virtues of blanket training, so I'm not surprised that the children smile on cue and look happy. No tears, no jealous looks, just laughing and smiling all the time. I bet that the Bates kids are just as robotic as the Duggar kids behind closed doors. You can ask one of older Bates adult children why they believe something, and all they can do is spew out what Gil or Kelly has taught them. They may be a prettier, less offensive package than the Duggars, but they are still as brainwashed as all the Gothardite families out there.

What also got me about the show is that Gil and Kelly mentioned that they live only 3.5 hours away from Mama Jane and Papa Bill. So, why not go there more often, rather than once or twice a year? I understand it may be difficult to manage packing for a family of 21, but they still manage to pack and go to ATI Homeschooling conferences and other trips. They can make the trip once a month. It doesn't look like the Bates have issues with motion sickness. If family is so important to Gil and Kelly, why not make the trip more often to see family? Perhaps, Gil and Kelly don't want so much interaction between their children and their cousins who seem to be living normal lives and being taught to think for themselves while being raised in a Christian environment.

I did like the honesty of Mama Jane and Papa Bill about seeing the grandkids leave ("Hallelujah"). I think Papa Bill was nudging Mama Jane, not because he didn't agree with her, but because the cameras were there, and who knows how Gil would react if he knew that his own parents think that he had too many kids and just don't think Gil is the brightest bulb.

What also got me about the show is that Gil and Kelly mentioned that they live only 3.5 hours away from Mama Jane and Papa Bill. So, why not go there more often, rather than once or twice a year? I understand it may be difficult to manage packing for a family of 21, but they still manage to pack and go to ATI Homeschooling conferences and other trips. They can make the trip once a month..

Okay, I'm not defending the Bates family, but 3.5 hours is actually a pretty long way to travel with any kids, let alone 19 of them. Growing up I had family who lived about three hours away, and we visited them once, maybe twice a year tops. Once a month would have been ridiculously optimistic, and there were only two kids involved in our family. Plus for all we know the grandparents visit them more often.

Archived