IGNORED

United States of Bates Debut Excitement MERGED

homeschoolmomma1

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/united-bates-of-america/videos/the-duggars-introduce-united-bates-of-america.htm#mkcpgn=fbtlc1

HOLY CRAP! Did Smugly film this himself? Its not exactly up to TLC standards! Michelle looks like she's absolutely SEETHING and Boob is reading along with the cue cards...

It took me a while to realize Lowe's commercial featuring, ironically, a cuckoo clock (LMAO) wasn't part of the presentation. As for the Boob/Mullet bit, it looked like home video taped with a camcorder on a tripod (since there was no wavering of the picture).

I loved how it looked like the Duggars were the only ones in that "congregation" shot. That was even more staged than the "show name" video. Of course the show can't be called 21 and Fun or whatever it was...they're gunning for 22, duh.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can proudly say I didn't watch this BS... But I have a question for those who did: Did they show the skinny horses?

No mention/shots of skinny horses, or Lawson providing groceries. It's all dressed up as one huge big happy family without a care in the world.

I like Papa Bill and Mama Jane. Some of their comments were great, and I believe there is more they didn't say. I think they may be an easy escape route for one of the kids, if one gets old enough and decides to leave.

And I was surprised that Kelly does appear to be closer to her kids than Michelle. But, just because she is not the worst mother doesn't make her a good mother.

I loved how it looked like the Duggars were the only ones in that "congregation" shot. That was even more staged than the "show name" video. Of course the show can't be called 21 and Fun or whatever it was...they're gunning for 22, duh.

I noticed it too. That church was seriously empty. Given the timeline fuckery it probably was shot an a weekday in the afternoon, instead of Sunday morning.

I like Papa Bill and Mama Jane. Some of their comments were great, and I believe there is more they didn't say. I think they may be an easy escape route for one of the kids, if one gets old enough and decides to leave.

And I was surprised that Kelly does appear to be closer to her kids than Michelle. But, just because she is not the worst mother doesn't make her a good mother.

I expect Papa Bill and Mama Jane will be thrown under the JL Duggar bus once they pass away. Boob appeared to love his daddy; we all know how THAT turned out. Given Gil's ego equals Boob's, and it's his way or the highway, I fully expect him to give his parents similar treatment when they're out on the speaking circuit in a few years. If Mama Jane survives Papa Bill, I fully expect her to sell the farm and move in with one of Gil's other less fundie siblings, with fewer and fewer visits, ala Mullet's Ohio arm of her family. Hell, you never hear much from the members of Mullet's immediate family who stayed in Arkansas other than a cousin who helped JD tow a car once.

I expect Papa Bill and Mama Jane will be thrown under the JL Duggar bus once they pass away. Boob appeared to love his daddy; we all know how THAT turned out. Given Gil's ego equals Boob's, and it's his way or the highway, I fully expect him to give his parents similar treatment when they're out on the speaking circuit in a few years. If Mama Jane survives Papa Bill, I fully expect her to sell the farm and move in with one of Gil's other less fundie siblings, with fewer and fewer visits, ala Mullet's Ohio arm of her family. Hell, you never hear much from the members of Mullet's immediate family who stayed in Arkansas other than a cousin who helped JD tow a car once.

I agree with you, except I think Gil's ego is actually bigger than Boob's. I wouldn't be surprised if Gil treated his parents the same way - filming their demise for $$$. When Kelly's brother died, she posted it on her blog the same day because he had been "saved" when he was dying (don't get me started on deathbed conversions).

I'm still hoping one of the kids can escape with Bill and Jane's help.

Jimmy Lee also made some great comments on the air.

the girl twirling on the bar would be the brothers daughter -- bumpinalongtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.ca/

Gil's brother has posted some behind-the-scenes pictures of the Papa Bill episode on his blog. Nothing exciting; shows a few crew members with the family.

There is some serious handslapping going on in the comments of the Jezebel article and the damn thing won't let me comment. One lady said that she is upset by the feminists being judgmental about someone else's reproductive choices and further in her thread she said they are not using resources because they get ad money. Obviously she has not seen Mountain O'Disposable Dishes and I would love to enlighten her. But I can't :(

Kelly insisted that the worst of the horses was a 'rescue' and they deleted the horses off that episode almost completely (except for the palomino, which was new and still looked good from a previous owners' feeding/deworming program) OH! And they were riding those horses, including the skinniest, sickest one ALL DAY LONG.

Well, come one, Kelly! Put your money where your oddly shaped and weirdly moving mouth is: SHOW US THE HORSES NOW!

Let's face it, the Bates are Duggars 2.0. They are all better looking than the Duggars, warmer, kinder, more sincere, more talented, etc etc. I mean, the Bates are still full of shit for being fundies but at least they seem genuine about it and not totally psycho crazy. I hope the show sticks around for 2 or 3 seasons for the sake of the kids, to expose them to the outside world more. They've already gotten a little taste of it from the Duggars' show.

I think ratings for the Bates will be good, ratings for the Duggars will be bad, and Michelle is going to flip her lid.

Actually, other than Lawson, I prefer the Duggar boys to the Bateses (at least until Duggar boys hit puberty...then it's downhill). I'm curious to see how Josiah and some of the younger Duggar boys turn out since they aren't Boob clones like the oldest 3. The Bates males (Lawson excepted) seem to be clones of Gil and I don't find him attractive at.all.

I just came to say that every time this thread pops back up to the top, I see "excrement" rather than "excitement." Ironic that I almost added an extra "o" to "pops" when typing this bit.

Crap! :lol:

Let's face it, the Bates are Duggars 2.0. They are all better looking than the Duggars, warmer, kinder, more sincere, more talented, etc etc. I mean, the Bates are still full of shit for being fundies but at least they seem genuine about it and not totally psycho crazy. I hope the show sticks around for 2 or 3 seasons for the sake of the kids, to expose them to the outside world more. They've already gotten a little taste of it from the Duggars' show.

I think ratings for the Bates will be good, ratings for the Duggars will be bad, and Michelle is going to flip her lid.

I think the "better looking" assessment is debatable. Lawson's very cute and so are a couple of the girls and the littlest girl is a doll, but aside from that they are on balance, as my father Archie Bunker the Second would say, "a homely tribe". It's a wash in the looks department between the Duggars and the Bates, IMHO.

Yes, I do think the Bates family is being portrayed as wholesome and normal, and while I don't buy it for a moment, I also don't see how that gets them any long term ratings. We've already seen the Duggars do every "big family logistical thing" imaginable and so there is nothing unique they can do in that department, and if they are just going to sing songs and hug each other, I can't see what the attraction would be.

I did my due diligence last night and watched DVR'd episodes in small bites. I won't be able to do it again. Way too boring.

Say, is that a two-headed girl I saw in the promos? Ha, top that, Smuggar et al.

The link is too long and I can't figure out how to imbed, but here are the ratings numbers for the two episodes.

United Bates of America (9p) 846,000 viewers, 0.3 A18-49

United Bates of America (9:30p) 721,000 viewers, 0.2 A18-49

For non-Americans, these stats SUCK. Especially in the 18-49 advertising demographic in primetime. I bet TLC shoves them into a really crappy time slot to finish off their 6 remaining shows. TLC can't afford to give them that plum time slot with such shitty ratings.

Boob and Mullet (but mostly Boob) make me scream at the television. Kelly and Gil only got backtalk from me. Also, we didn't see any interviews with small Bates children regurgitating words and phrases used by their parents that they really don't understand (see small Duggars trying to explain "defrauding" or using the words "purposed" or "convicted.") They come off as a bit more genuine to me. If I had to be in a batshit crazy fundie family and my choices were between the Duggars or the Bates, I'd want to be a Bates.

The link is too long and I can't figure out how to imbed, but here are the ratings numbers for the two episodes.

United Bates of America (9p) 846,000 viewers, 0.3 A18-49

United Bates of America (9:30p) 721,000 viewers, 0.2 A18-49

For non-Americans, these stats SUCK. Especially in the 18-49 advertising demographic in primetime. I bet TLC shoves them into a really crappy time slot to finish off their 6 remaining shows. TLC can't afford to give them that plum time slot with such shitty ratings.

As a comparison, Bristol Palin's Life's A Twig, or a Tigger, or a Trap or whatever it was called was considered a huge flop and her premiere ratings were

726,000 viewers and a 0.2 rating among adults 18-49.

So yeah, it's a major fail.

Ahhhhhhhh. Those ratings are awesome! Take it away, Cartman:

You were the first to call it on TWOP; I just said IF it survives. You were more definitive. Bravo!

And thanks, Cartman!

Did Gil's hair remind any of you of a hedgehog? :) Something about the color and the cut...

I sincerely hope the Bateses are long gone from television when Gil's parents pass, so there won't be any public humiliation of Grandpa or Grandma in life and then badmouthing afterward.

Papa Bill and Grandma Jane shouldn't have to spend 1.5 DAYS cleaning up after the Bates' visit! :naughty: The Bates should clean up after themselves.

It is nice to see the family actually "play" together! Unlike the Maxwell's, who simply "hike". No chance of any Bates/Maxwell "match"....

As a comparison, Bristol Palin's Life's A Twig, or a Tigger, or a Trap or whatever it was called was considered a huge flop and her premiere ratings were

726,000 viewers and a 0.2 rating among adults 18-49.

So yeah, it's a major fail.

It didnt place in the top 100 of cable shows, beaten out by 4 re runs of family guy, "Lizard Lick Towing", a friggin FRIENDS repeat (thats even still on???), Sponge Bob, and various shows that were actually educational.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/0 ... re/144820/

I think Mama Janie, and to an only slightly lesser extent, Papa Bill, made it very clear that their limited visits were more than enough for them.

I think they only go twice a year as an entire family. They mentioned that they go sometimes with just some of the kids or some of the kids go by themselves and stay with them.

I wonder who Lawson will court?? Any guesses? Or who would you all like to see him with? In terms of fundie prospects, he is a real catch! (IMHO) He's hardworking, goes grocery shopping and likes it, has a significant amount money he actually saved up, and is quite the defrauder. If he could somehow figure out how to go to college, I bet he could really make something of himself.

You were the first to call it on TWOP; I just said IF it survives. You were more definitive. Bravo!

And thanks, Cartman!

I was wrong. I said it would be canceled after three episodes. It only took two! ;)

The girls are Abigail(left) and Brittany(right) Hensel, conjoined twins. They were made public on Oprah in 1996(born 1990) and then when they were 16(2006) they filmed a documentary about themselves to update people on their lives and to try to get some much needed privacy. They recently graduated College. I have a feeling the series is a way to get together some money as I am sure they might have problems getting a job because of the way people react to them in public. I would love to see them become sucessful an dbe able to go back to private lives as thier parents have tried to keep their lives as normal as possible.

This is probably going to be their first and only season. We'll end up seeing a new blog post on their website, saying how "God spoke to us and has revealed that He has other plans for us than filming our show. We thank you all for your support and encouragement! God is in control we shall follow as He leads us to bigger and better adventures." In reality, the show sucked, ratings were crap, TLC dumped the show.

Archived