IGNORED

United States of Bates Debut Excitement MERGED

homeschoolmomma1

Umm, and this is relevant how?

She's dead, OK?

Story over, no?

I guess you like the royals, then, huh? Hopewell wasn't even dissing Diana, she was pointing out that certain gushing wasn't warranted.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During my first year as a school psychologist intern when I didn't understand much about parents and was rather young, I encountered this couple with ten kids. The teachers would complain about how the parents acted like love struck 13-year-olds, holding hands and skipping along obliviously while ignoring their children. I remember seeing the parents and thinking, How juvenile they are! It's like they just met in middle school and never progressed beyond that! This picture of JB and Michelle and the milkshake reminds me of these parents. Where are the 19-children? At the same time, I'm thinking, This is going to be good because the picture is so snark-worthy it appears that TLC is getting ready to throw JB and Michelle under the bus for ratings. I see just how they are going to do it. I haven't watched JB's wedding but I just might watch again if TLC goes this route.

Even Smuggar's and Anna's pose and their expressions in their "milkshake photo" seem more mature than JB's and Michelle's.

The immediate thing that comes to my head is the song " my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard, damn right it's better than yours"!

I guess you like the royals, then, huh? Hopewell wasn't even dissing Diana, she was pointing out that certain gushing wasn't warranted.

Hopewell was snarking on Diana as an example of 'best mother in the world'. 'Saint Diana' is dissing her in my view.

Diana was a) catastrophically naive and unintelligent, uneducated, and her main asset/value was her virginity

b) used like a brood mare by the Royal Family, and not supported through her mental problems (bulimia, depression)

c) may have had all that help, although I'm not sure how much she actually did have, and i'd like to see some detail behind the accusation (as in having nannies etc - although her children were not actually away ten months of the year), but really loved her kids. She tried to give them the most normal life possible, including doing silly things such as going to theme parks with them, and sensible things such as insisting they didn't go to bloody Gordonstoun AKA Mr Squeers Academy (Nicholas Nickleby reference) which had already royally screwed up her husband's psyche.

Diana herself never pretended to be the best mother in the world. But you could tell when you talked to her and she talked about them that she adored those boys, and they apparently remember her as a good mother they had fun with. I just don't see any reason to snark on her IN THIS CASE. And in any case, she was never 'royal' by blood, so this is not an 'I will support the Royal family no matter what'. I have no time for any members of the Royal family but the Queen, Princess Anne, and her daughter, all for different reasons. The Queen has a fine sense of duty and she does her job bloody well. Princess Anne is low-key, down to earth, and ACTIVELY supports a lot of worthwhile causes. And Zara is an extremely good horsewoman who works well in a team and helped us win Olympic silver.

There are plenty of other 'celebrity' mothers who make a big play about their motherhood that Hopewell could have chosen to snark about when discussing this issue. Victoria Beckham, Katie whatever her name is who's just divorced Tom Cruise, anyone else in that particular culture who makes a big play of motherhood while farming their children off to nannies and generally treating them like fashion accessories. Diana just happens to be dead - unsporting to choose someone who can't fight back. And generally, I get a bit sick of royal bashing. It's the province of insecure and envious people suffering from bad cases of inverted snobbery.

Personally, if I thought there was a viable alternative to monarchy, I would vote for it.

Hopewell was snarking on Diana as an example of 'best mother in the world'. 'Saint Diana' is dissing her in my view.

Diana was a) catastrophically naive and unintelligent, uneducated, and her main asset/value was her virginity

b) used like a brood mare by the Royal Family, and not supported through her mental problems (bulimia, depression)

c) may have had all that help, although I'm not sure how much she actually did have, and i'd like to see some detail behind the accusation (as in having nannies etc - although her children were not actually away ten months of the year), but really loved her kids. She tried to give them the most normal life possible, including doing silly things such as going to theme parks with them, and sensible things such as insisting they didn't go to bloody Gordonstoun AKA Mr Squeers Academy (Nicholas Nickleby reference) which had already royally screwed up her husband's psyche.

Diana herself never pretended to be the best mother in the world. But you could tell when you talked to her and she talked about them that she adored those boys, and they apparently remember her as a good mother they had fun with. I just don't see any reason to snark on her IN THIS CASE. And in any case, she was never 'royal' by blood, so this is not an 'I will support the Royal family no matter what'. I have no time for any members of the Royal family but the Queen, Princess Anne, and her daughter, all for different reasons. The Queen has a fine sense of duty and she does her job bloody well. Princess Anne is low-key, down to earth, and ACTIVELY supports a lot of worthwhile causes. And Zara is an extremely good horsewoman who works well in a team and helped us win Olympic silver.

There are plenty of other 'celebrity' mothers who make a big play about their motherhood that Hopewell could have chosen to snark about when discussing this issue. Victoria Beckham, Katie whatever her name is who's just divorced Tom Cruise, anyone else in that particular culture who makes a big play of motherhood while farming their children off to nannies and generally treating them like fashion accessories. Diana just happens to be dead - unsporting to choose someone who can't fight back. And generally, I get a bit sick of royal bashing. It's the province of insecure and envious people suffering from bad cases of inverted snobbery.

Personally, if I thought there was a viable alternative to monarchy, I would vote for it.

Actually, the Spencers are an extremely aristocratic family who can trace their family back to the Stuarts so she very probably did have royal bood, and even if not came from a very priviledged background. She may have been naive and badly treated but that does not change the fact the she had a much easier time of it than someone struggling on a council estate.

I am proud to be a republican (in the UK sense of the word). I do not consider myself an inverted snob, and I certainly don't envy the royals their burden. I just happen to believe that a system which sets someone up as the head of my country just because of an accident of birth has no place in a modern democracy. I strongly object to my taxes paying for these peoples' lives (and I realise it a very small proportion of my taxes - it's the principle).

I think this is relevant because it is another example of how people see what they want to see when it comes to families in the public eye. People gush over the royal family and what a great job they do without considering the phenomenal back-up resources they have to do that job. Likewise, people see the Duggars and Bates as perfect families without bothering to scratch the surface of how they really live their lives and price their children are paying for their parents' choice of lifestyle.

When I watched the Duggars' pre-series documentarites I thought they were a big happy family that was a bit strange. It wasn't until the series started airing, that I noticed that something was off with them. I noticed that buddy system was too much and started doing my research on them. There are some people who have scratched the surface and found about the Duggars' beliefs, but there will be others who will never scratch the surface. Those types of viewers will continue to believe that the Duggars are one big happy family.

The immediate thing that comes to my head is the song " my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard, damn right it's better than yours"!

Their milkshake brings all the Bates to the yard, and their like "its better than yours!" We could teach you, but we'd have to charge ;-)

:lol: :mrgreen:

hmm, I don't believe that!!!

Even if they weren't paid for their appearances on the Duggar show (which seems unfair if they weren't) since when does a network not tell you the money value with the TV show offer? Thats all part and parcel of the offer, isn't it?

http://www.knoxville.com/news/2012/aug/10/terry-morrow-bates-family-stands-united-in-tlc/

"when production began, Gil Bates, who runs a tree removal service, didn't know they would be paid for doing the series"

Does anyone believe that? Or that they were never paid for their numerous appearances on the Duggars' show?

They got a new house out of their guest appearances. THat sounds like a payday to me!!!!

They got a new house out of their guest appearances. THat sounds like a payday to me!!!!

No, silly. That was a Mothers' Day gift from the Duggars that Gil was completely surprised about. Remember?

I hear she also did horrible mother things like making the boys pay for things themselves instead of expecting other people to do it for them just because they were royalty and introducing them to people who were in a position of needing to rely on others in order to make ends meet...

Diana may not have been the best mother in the world, but she is way out of the fundie league.

I screen capped it, if you'd like to see. Nothing much. Basically Feberized said that her husband produces the show and the crew (and her husband) has bets on who will make it out of the cult.

Sorry for not responding, I totally missed this. Thanks.

see this filmclip of them... 5 of the kids missing from there... wonder why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIc2swjeVys

oh and a part 2 with an EGG TOSS *EXCITING*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho6a2HoFUng&feature=plcp

ETA: Oh more exciting than I thought, DEFRAUDING TOUCHING of Carlin when the host picked her up... :shock: :whistle:

DEF.jpg

DEF2.jpg

Wow! She looks so happy!

Too bad girl, it's the only male you'll get to touch until that wedding night...Unless you make a run!!

"when production began, Gil Bates, who runs a tree removal service, didn't know they would be paid for doing the series"

Does anyone believe that? Or that they were never paid for their numerous appearances on the Duggars' show?

Oh please Gil! How stupid do you think we are????? Just like your ER bills were "magically taken care of" the births of your last two kids were somehow paid for etc, etc, etc.

The young Bates children run to Kelly to greet her as though she is an actual, affectionate mother figure to them.

Did anyone else notice that the book Kelly bought for Erin was titled "Two hundred and 69 ways to make a man happy" or something to that effect? I rewound it twice because I couldn't believe she missed the significance of 69 not bring spelled out...

I just realised this family lives not far from where my dad was born and grew up. Still have a lot of family there. The Bates' accents take me right back to my grandparents' farm near Crossville. They weren't fundie, thankfully, just very Southern. No pictures of Confederate generals hanging on the walls, though. :lol:

Did anyone else notice that the book Kelly bought for Erin was titled "Two hundred and 69 ways to make a man happy" or something to that effect? I rewound it twice because I couldn't believe she missed the significance of 69 not bring spelled out...

:shock:

:laughing-rolling:

Complete snoozefest. SODRT apparent on all levels. I swear I heard Gil just say growed, as is "when we growed up". This is bad. I hope at the very least they make a little money so they can quit moochin off Lawson.

Archived