IGNORED

The Great Chick-fil-A Snake Oil "Faith" Hustle

doggie

Not to mention this, which you (Scarygirl) posted as the reason marriage must be between a man and woman:

How do you know that wasn't just a directive for the two of them, especially since it was contradicted by so many definitions of "Biblical" marriage afterwards?

After being through many translations, the idea that it is a general directive could be an error.

I'm not the greatest Hebrew scholar, but I'm pretty sure the original does not say "a man" -- just "man" or "he." So it could just refer to Adam.

Better Hebrew translators, what do you say?

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0102.htm

Of course, Adam had no mom and dad, so it might just be yet another instance of the Bible not really being a God-given set of instructions for life, just a book written by people.

Believe or don't believe. The way the world is going, I think we will all know soon enough, one way or another. And then if I am wrong, you can post here and tell me so.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
Sorry Lissar. We were typing at the same time. It sounds like I was parroting you. :lol:

Ha! No worries at all, of course. Yay for crossposting! GMTA, and all that. ;)

Believe or don't believe. The way the world is going, I think we will all know soon enough, one way or another. And then if I am wrong, you can post here and tell me so.

Believe in what? Believe in the Bible that you think translated the Greek and Hebrew sources correctly; and we will go to Heaven; or believe in a different translation of the Bible and we will go to hell? How does your opinion of what version of a translated Bible I should read (I'm a deist) help me get to Heaven/hell? (Is it possible to be a deist and believe in miracles and the supernatural; but not believe that I have to apply the Bible to my life? If so; what's that called? Because I can't think of a word for it.)

I hope we don't all get raptured before you get around to answering our questions. :lol:

:angelic-whiteflying: :angelic-flying: :angelic-blueglow: :greetings-cya::greetings-wavingyellow: <------- This is various FJ members being raptured. It's purely for entertainment as I'm sure most of us are hellbound :twisted:. You're welcome. :D

Believe in what? Believe in the Bible that you think translated the Greek and Hebrew sources correctly; and we will go to Heaven; or believe in a different translation of the Bible and we will go to hell? How does your opinion of what version of a translated Bible I should read (I'm a deist) help me get to Heaven/hell?

Well either there is a heaven and hell or there is nothing. It is one or the other.

I hope we don't all get raptured before you get around to answering our questions. :lol:

:angelic-whiteflying: :angelic-flying: :angelic-blueglow: :greetings-cya::greetings-wavingyellow: <------- This is various FJ members being raptured. It's purely for entertainment as I'm sure most of us are hellbound :twisted:. You're welcome. :D

I answered your questions, but not in a way that most people will agree with.

Guest Anonymous

I hope we don't all get raptured before you get around to answering our questions. :lol: :angelic-whiteflying: :angelic-flying: :angelic-blueglow: :greetings-cya::greetings-wavingyellow: <------- This is various FJ members being raptured. It's purely for entertainment as I'm sure most of us are hellbound :twisted:. You're welcome. :D

I'm going to drop this brilliant bon mot of Terrie's in here because it cracks me up every time I think about it.

I suspect the main problem in hell is going to over crowding. Sort of like Manhattan. Lots of great people, lots to do, but you'll be living in a closet.

You didn't answer formergothardite's questions. Lissar; what if that closet leads to Narnia? Then they'll be enough space to fit everybody! :D

Well either there is a heaven and hell or there is nothing. It is one or the other.

Says who? Maybe there's just a heaven...or just a hell. Maybe another religion is right and we'll all end up in their version of hell. :roll:

Question:

Who created hell?

What makes one deserve to be tortured for an eternity?

Guest Anonymous

Mine haven't been answered.

How is it bullying to talk to you in a way that you don't find appealing on a website, but it's not bullying for a corporation to donate money to organizations that actively work to deny people civil rights, and encourage governments to kill their citizens?

Do you truly think that someone talking to you in an unpleasant manner on a forum is worse than not being able to marry the person you love, and fearing for or actually losing your life?

In addition: If you think we're all so terrible, then why are you here? What do you think you're accomplishing?

I'm going to drop this brilliant bon mot of Terrie's in here because it cracks me up every time I think about it.

:lol: Love it!

I will only say this one more time, I was told basically that no matter what thread I go to they will bring up anything I said in this thread no matter if the topic. How is that not bullying?

How is it bullying?

There is a history here of people posting mind-bogglingly offensive things in one thread, then cheerily popping in to other threads to post as if they were all buddy-buddy with everyone here.

Some FJers feel pretty strongly about posting to remind us of just what that person stated elsewhere.

I tend to see it as feeling protective of other posters, and warning them, rather than "bullying" the offensive person.

It may have been jumping the gun to assume you will do that, or to warn you of it, but, so far, your statements fit the pattern of someone who will do that.

As far as the hating god comment that was reaction to people treating persons like haters simply because they express an opinion that lines up with what the bible says.

An opinion that lines up with Matthew 7:12 (the Golden Rule that exists in countless traditions) is not going to get any flak here.

However, some other things the Bible says are very hateful, and haters generally relish them.

edited for riffle

thoughtful; I wonder if scarygirl realizes that the KJV was written by a gay English king who was forced to hide his being a homosexual in order to produce an heir for the English throne? ;) Whoops; that's the history nerd coming out again... I have been interested in European royalty history lately. *sorry for going a bit off-topic*

I sort of doubt she does.

Oh, and it has been said on FJ before, and I'll say it again -- no need to apologize for being a knowledge nerd!

Another so-predictable-we-need-a-bingo-card poster.

How is the world going, and why will we know soon? Do you believe in the Rapture?

And why didn't you answer my actual questions?

Mine haven't been answered.

In addition: If you think we're all so terrible, then why are you here? What do you think you're accomplishing?

I never said you were all terrible. I was reacting to the thread and the very specific comment that was made about bringing up this thread whereever I post. I have said all I am going to say on Chik Fil A and gay marriage. If Chik Fil A wants to support organizations that promote less than ethical behavior, you can do something about that by not eating their product. If enough people stop eating their product they will go out of business, simple as that.

Same way if enough of the other side stops buying Amazon, they will evenually go out of business. I have said it before and I will say it again, you can't legislate morality. That is why when certain legislation comes up, like the definition of marriage act, I don't even bother voting. Unless it has to do with the abuse of a child or animal I am not even there. Pick your causes and go forth.

Guest Anonymous

I sort of doubt she does.

Oh, and it has been said on FJ before, and I'll say it again -- no need to apologize for being a knowledge nerd!

Nor for going off topic! I'm going to do it here.

Anxious Girl, you apologize an awful lot. I don't say that to be mean. I just don't think you have any need to apologize for stating an opinion or sharing a thought. Toss them on out here and own them proudly. Thinking and sharing are good things and as long as one is not a bigoted asshole there's no reason to be ashamed or embarrassed of participating in the conversation here. I don't want to police your dialogue - of course you should speak the way you're comfortable. I'm only tossing this out because I have noticed it coming up for a while now.

Guest Anonymous
I never said you were all terrible.

You said:

It is one thing to not like someone's opinion, but it another thing altogether to bully someone. And that is what this site is all about. You could care less about women's rights, you HATE god. YOu hate the fact that maybe there is an even TINY chance that you are wrong and that god even exists. Because if he exists, we all, including me, are going to have some explaining to do in the end.,

...snip...

I could post bible verses all day long and you would twist them because that seems to be the in thing to do. Your mind is not open..

If I thought a forum was all about bullying people, and not giving a shit about women's rights, and being close minded, I would think that forum was terrible. You didn't say "I think you are all terrible" but the intent was quite clear in what you did say. Don't backpedal on it now, just answer the question. Why are you here?

not the world is going to end shtick? that's been happening since the bible was written so god get on with it. I mean god let las vegas be made he let WBC exist it seems gods tolerance has gone way up. He even lets people sell dildos honoring him.

Another so-predictable-we-need-a-bingo-card poster.

How is the world going, and why will we know soon? Do you believe in the Rapture?

And why didn't you answer my actual questions?

I am not sure what verses you mean, as there are several verses in the bible that state to not lie with like (men and men, women and women). There are any verses in the bible that I am aware that supports marriage as other than a husband and a wife. I also know too, that it wasn't so legalistic back then than it is now, meaning a church, preacher, white dress etc. It was very much a spiritual union.

As far as my believing the bible as the unerring word, I base that on faith. I don't need historical data to prove what is I know in my heart to be true.

The difference between me and a lot of the fundamentalists is they compelely twist scripture when it comes to the treatment of women. They add things that just aren't there.

Nor for going off topic! I'm going to do it here.

Anxious Girl, you apologize an awful lot. I don't say that to be mean. I just don't think you have any need to apologize for stating an opinion or sharing a thought. Toss them on out here and own them proudly. Thinking and sharing are good things and as long as one is not a bigoted asshole there's no reason to be ashamed or embarrassed of participating in the conversation here. I don't want to police your dialogue - of course you should speak the way you're comfortable. I'm only tossing this out because I have noticed it coming up for a while now.

Thanks for the advice; Lissar! That's why my name is Anxious Girl - I tend to apologize a lot (damn anxiety). I will stop though. I apologize because sometimes I sincerely think I act like a know-it-all (which is why I ask people to correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not asking anybody to pat me on the back; I'm just explaining why I speak/type the why I do here.

You didn't answer my questions.

I asnwered your first question just now. The second question I answered many verses back. I heard about Free Ginger through one of the Duggar forums. I couldn't believe that their brand of fundy was so widespread so I came here. And I was shocked,

I have lurked here quite a while, same as anyone else before becoming a member. The Chik Fil A fiasco is a hot topic, so I gave my opinion simple as that. I have also posted in other threads. Like the one that talked about the fundy not wanting to give their kid steroids.

There are always two sides to every issue. I gave my opinion as the other side.

Guest Anonymous

Okay I accidently edited my old post instead of making a new one. ARGH.

Trying to sort it now. Old post I deleted:

I never said you were all terrible. I was reacting to the thread and the very specific comment that was made about bringing up this thread whereever I post. I have said all I am going to say on Chik Fil A and gay marriage. If Chik Fil A wants to support organizations that promote less than ethical behavior, you can do something about that by not eating their product. If enough people stop eating their product they will go out of business, simple as that.

Same way if enough of the other side stops buying Amazon, they will evenually go out of business. I have said it before and I will say it again, you can't legislate morality. That is why when certain legislation comes up, like the definition of marriage act, I don't even bother voting. Unless it has to do with the abuse of a child or animal I am not even there. Pick your causes and go forth.

You didn't answer my questions.

New post I meant to put here:

You said:

If I thought a forum was all about bullying people, and not giving a shit about women's rights, and being close minded, I would think that forum was terrible. You didn't say "I think you are all terrible" but the intent was quite clear in what you did say. Don't backpedal on it now, just answer the question. Why are you here?

Sorry for the confusion everyone.

Guest Anonymous

I asnwered your first question just now. The second question I answered many verses back. I heard about Free Ginger through one of the Duggar forums. I couldn't believe that their brand of fundy was so widespread so I came here. And I was shocked,

I have lurked here quite a while, same as anyone else before becoming a member. The Chik Fil A fiasco is a hot topic, so I gave my opinion simple as that. I have also posted in other threads. Like the one that talked about the fundy not wanting to give their kid steroids.

There are always two sides to every issue. I gave my opinion as the other side.

The fuck you did. Link where you answered any of them.

Can you show me the verse that advises parents to give a "simple smack on the bottom"?

The verses I've read actually specifically mention beating. They say nothing about a smack on the bottom:

Proverbs 23:13-14

Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

Care to defend your despicable book now?

Since you're done discussing gay marriage would you mind answering this question? I know that you don't twist scripture like the heathens here do, so I am really curious how you balance all of this out in your mind.

Archived