IGNORED

How to win a wife:

Koala

Hint: It involves impressing a man who has a history of divorce and cheating!

To follow up on her wedding/covenant ceremony post, Cheryl is doing a little Q & A. Here is the link:http://treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2012/07/covenant-ceremony-questions-and-answers.html

And here are the highlights:

Courtship is a father's agreeing to work with a qualified young man to win his daughter for marriage. The purpose of courtship is to seek the Lord to determine if it is His perfect will for the couple to marry.

Here that? Courtship is about winning a wife. You impress the man, you win his daughter. Don't you love it?

I also love that the purpose of a courtship is to seek the Lord's perfect will, and to do that you must go through a man like...Terry. I wasn't aware that Christians needs another Christian to seek the Lord's will for them. Wonder why "the Lord" can't speak directly to the couple. Interesting...

What was the purpose of signing the covenant?

In Scripture, whenever two individuals wanted to establish a permanent agreement for the benefit of both, they entered into a covenant. Preparing for the covenant helped Haley establish and solidify her own convictions about courtship. By signing the covenant, she not only agreed to obtain her father's blessing before entering into a relationship, but she demonstrated her commitment to her heavenly Father's plan for courtship instead of man's philosophy of dating.

Now why does Terry need this covenant to benefit him? If Haley wanted to solidify her convictions, then she didn't need Terry, a ring, or a ceremony (because this is absolutely ALL Haley's ideas...Cheryl and Terry aren't behind the whole thing...of course not!). :roll:

No, though the covenant obviously involves remaining physically pure, with the first kiss being at the altar, following the officiator's admonition: "You may now kiss your bride!".

Where do they get their definition of "pure". Now if you kiss before the wedding you're "unpure"? What is that idea based on?

This is the funny part...if you spit your soda, don't say I didn't warn ya:

As a man, Terry is best equipped to discern the intentions and character of a possible suitor and to weed out those who, for various reasons, would not be candidates.

Terry :lol: A great candidate for discerning "character" :lol:

These are our precious daughters, young women we have poured our lives into since they were born! We are not going to just give them away to just any man who comes calling. He must prove himself worthy!

Again with the talking about human beings like they are actually theirs to "give away".

This isn't necessarily about needing her father's permission, but rather seeking his blessing.

Kind of contradicts this:

I will wait for your full release before entering into marriage.

and this:

Haley's 14k white gold ring engraved with an umbrella, key and heart, signifying the key to her heart is safely protected under her father's authority

See that word "authority"? That goes back to "permission", and both of them go back to control, which is of course what this is all about.

Random craziness:

We do talk with our children about the importance of keeping their hearts from the time they are very young. We discuss why we don't allow them to kiss other children, or to hug children of the opposite sex who are not related to them.

What they'll do for their sons:

We are thinking more of a "guy's ceremony", with their like-minded guy friends and dads, and will most likely involve a campfire, roasting meat, and sleeping outside.

And the wrap up:

When we're standing at the altar, and two shall become one,

I will be so grateful for all the things you've done...

(From the song Thank You Mama and Papa that Haley sang to us at the ceremony)

See? When she makes it to the alter with her heart in one piece she will have Terry and Cheryl to thank. Cheating Terry and Cheryl...yeah :roll:

This is the funny part...if you spit your soda, don't say I didn't warn ya:

Quote:

As a man, Terry is best equipped to discern the intentions and character of a possible suitor and to weed out those who, for various reasons, would not be candidates.

Terry :lol: A great candidate for discerning "character" :lol:

Well you've got to admit, he certainly should be able to recognize a possible suitor of bad character. He just has to look in a mirror!

I must say that I am completely gobsmacked by this:

Random craziness:

Quote:

We do talk with our children about the importance of keeping their hearts from the time they are very young. We discuss why we don't allow them to kiss other children, or to hug children of the opposite sex who are not related to them.

That's just plain sad.

OT, but isn't it rather ironic that we must all submit every time we decide to speak/write on this board?

I am sure the comedy of that button has been discussed many, many times before my arrival. It just

suddenly struck me as giggle worthy.

One of my cherished parenthood moments came just recently when a little girl hugged my son and gave him a kiss on the cheek. It was such a sweet and spontaneous show of affection that my heart just melted. To think that these people would see that as some sort of stain of impurity for my son/the little girl is maddening.

And AS A MAN Terry is best equipped to judge character? I didn't realize that the part of the brain that is capable of critical thinking or developing a relationship with someone is located in the testicles.

It's not like Hayley, or any of the daughters, really have any choice in signing the 'covenant' with their fathers. Can you imagine what would happen to one of these poor young ladies if they told their parents 'nope, not going to go into a covenant with Dad'?

It's not like Hayley, or any of the daughters, really have any choice in signing the 'covenant' with their fathers. Can you imagine what would happen to one of these poor young ladies if they told their parents 'nope, not going to go into a covenant with Dad'?

Depends on the family, but I think that quite a few would be kicked out.

That's what makes this whole thing such a farce. I have no doubt this family uses corporal punishment to keep their kids in line so given the choice between a beating or going through with a ceremony and signing a piece of paper I know which one I would choose. How many of these girls are silently cursing their folks while going through a dumb show of keeping sweet? Any good parent knows that you raise your children right and then you trust them, you don't make them sign a meaningless piece of paper.

And the bullshit frosting on this farcical cupcake is that both parents failed to stay pure in their marriage, because to me it is a lot more important to be faithful to your wedding vows after you get married than to live up to purity vows before you get married.

How to win a wife: Toss a ring over the milk bottle at the state fair arcade. Wins you one free wife. Ding ding ding!

Even if the girls did have a choice, the purity ceremony would still be completely creepy and wrong. And this family just keeps getting creepier and creepier.

Random craziness:

OH NO! I have failed! My daughter gave away pieces of her heart when she kissed a boy on the kindergarten playground!!!1!!!! How could I overlook this clearly important aspect of her purity! 9 years old and she's already used merchandise.

We are thinking more of a "guy's ceremony", with their like-minded guy friends and dads, and will most likely involve a campfire, roasting meat, and sleeping outside.

THIS is what made me spit out my soda ... Go camping and roast meat! ug! Me man. Me sleep outside and roast meat.

Roasting meat - the manly man's meal. Women have teas with watercress sandwiches or salads.

I'd love to see one of those women gnawing a hunk of meat and wiping her mouth with the back of her hand!!!

THIS is what made me spit out my soda ... Go camping and roast meat! ug! Me man. Me sleep outside and roast meat.

:lol:

Random craziness:

OH NO! I have failed! My daughter gave away pieces of her heart when she kissed a boy on the kindergarten playground!!!1!!!! How could I overlook this clearly important aspect of her purity! 9 years old and she's already used merchandise.

Well Duh! That's why God wanted you to homeschool her!

How to win a wife: Toss a ring over the milk bottle at the state fair arcade. Wins you one free wife. Ding ding ding!

X29Js.jpg

X29Js.jpg

Thoughtful, you have made my rotten evening a MILLION times better. Thank you. But seriously, isn't this how Fundie men see women?

I'm so glad I could improve your evening.

And, I'm sad to say, I think "kewpie doll" is a more independent, intelligent image than what many fundie men want in a wife. Heck, kewpie clearly has no need for false modesty!

Although, I did find one who covers:

kewpie_doll.jpg

Funnies think this crap was invented when the bible was written. But the whole courtship thing was there long before Jesus so saying it is gods way is crap.

Archived