IGNORED

Oh smuggar, you and sweet tea

xReems

Did you notice Michelle not shopping at Aldis? She bought name brand sour cream and Yoplait yogurt and Vlasik pickles. Next thing you know in goes the cement pond!

I did see that pretty sweet looking basketball court they had out back! But really, a little couponing... maybe some name brand makeup, some real shampoo... this could be a good thing!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I had surgery that last time I woke up thirsty as a camel and almost got a coffee on the way to the hospital but the thought of pneumonia and wasting the thousands of dollars we had to pay for the surgery (no insurance) stopped me dead in my tracks. If I could resist then so could Joshie. I wonder if the Duggars think that men are weaker by nature than women (some non-fundies I know actually do think that way). :naughty:

Does Smuggar do no research at all? He bought TWO Hummers, which just aren't selling these days. Even if someone was in the market for a used Hummer, they would most likely go to a dealer, or a place like CarMax, where they would get some sort of limited warranty. We also saw him buying some large multiple passenger vans. Is there that much demand for these vehicles? Does he not realize that most families don't have 19 kids?

I just don't get it. Does he really think that customers will flock to his little lot just because he's on tv? Honestly, the footage we have seen of his business does not inspire much confidence. We've seen kids jumping all over the cars, a car that didn't start, and the inventory being driven all over town by various Duggars.

I guess he thinks that writing Bible verses on the windshields will generate business. He's lucky that the car lot is not his sole means of support.

They all seem to be incredibly superstitious and unable to connect actions with consequences. I think he genuinely believes that no matter what he does, God will take care of him so long as he prays hard enough and impregnates Anna as often as possible. He really doesn't seem that bright and I don't think he has much business sense. He doesn't see the connection between market research, supplying a product that is in demand, etc and then making money from it. In his head, he just prays and God makes things work somehow.

He is really not cut out to be a business man, and his mediocre education just exacerbates that. He'd be good in certain jobs if he weren't so lazy and arrogant, but he is not meant to be an entrepreneur. He's just damn lucky that he's the first-born son and he will receive the most help from Daddy.

OK, these are the "fundy" elite, and they are too STUPID to follow the most basic pre-op instructions.

(Then we have 2nd-generation SOTDRT folks building their house on someone else's land and piling up kids on shelving, someone else putting kids in closets to sleep and opining stupidity about Bill Gates...)

I am starting to think that FJ has no need to worry about fundies taking over the world. There is just too much stupidity for that to happen.

(And before anyone reading FJ screams "persecution"-- I am Christian, and this is not anti-Christian!)

Does Smuggar do no research at all? He bought TWO Hummers, which just aren't selling these days. Even if someone was in the market for a used Hummer, they would most likely go to a dealer, or a place like CarMax, where they would get some sort of limited warranty. We also saw him buying some large multiple passenger vans. Is there that much demand for these vehicles? Does he not realize that most families don't have 19 kids?

I just don't get it. Does he really think that customers will flock to his little lot just because he's on tv? Honestly, the footage we have seen of his business does not inspire much confidence. We've seen kids jumping all over the cars, a car that didn't start, and the inventory being driven all over town by various Duggars.

I guess he thinks that writing Bible verses on the windshields will generate business. He's lucky that the car lot is not his sole means of support.

I wondered the same thing about those vans too. Vans don't sell well these days and usually organizations or business are the ones buying them and I think business/organizations wouldn't go to small used car lot either to buy a van.

I don't think Smuggar gets a lot of business. I think he gets enough to simply get by. We have seen struggle with business a couple of times on the show. There are many people that avoid those types of used car lots for different reasons. If people in the area watch the show I bet they would get turned off by Smuggar and others handle the inventory.

According to Manta.com, Josh does not own the car business, which BTW claims annual sales of 1-2.5M.

http://www.manta.com/c/mtmxmqf/champion-motor-cars

Oh, and you can see the current inventory here:http://www.championnwa.com/inventory.html

Also, it doesn't seem that "Duggar Towing" is listed as an official business, but if you Google, it shares an address with Champion Motor Cars. I have to wonder if the towing business is actually licensed and insured: http://duggartowing.com/

SOTDRT strikes again: from the Duggar Towing website:

Thanks for visiting our webpage and be sure to check out the rest of our site, but if you're in a ditch or broke down on the side of the road call us now at

Wow. Jim Bob listed as owner? I know they restrict internet access to the menfolk, but don't they realize that all of the heathens in the real world can look them up on the internets?

I'd be surprised if Jim Bob didn't own those businesses. He's got to maintain control over all of those kids. He'll rent out crappy houses to the boys and pay them small salaries, but he's not going to let them go off and actually own and run their own businesses. He wants them on the teat and under his power.

And fundie or not, everything almost always comes down to money. I think there are going to be some serious tensions going down in that family once the TLC gravy train starts to slow up.

Wow. Jim Bob listed as owner? I know they restrict internet access to the menfolk, but don't they realize that all of the heathens in the real world can look them up on the internets?

It seems they don't realize that a lot of info about their businesses is online. Boob and Smuggar probably enjoy having people think that he owns the car lots. Boob even lied on a camera few weeks back about Josh buying that restaurant place/lot. They probably don't know or even think some of their viewers do public searches on them. On topix, there was poster who did say that Smuggar was living in one of Mary's rentals.

I'd be surprised if Jim Bob didn't own those businesses. He's got to maintain control over all of those kids. He'll rent out crappy houses to the boys and pay them small salaries, but he's not going to let them go off and actually own and run their own businesses. He wants them on the teat and under his power.

And fundie or not, everything almost always comes down to money. I think there are going to be some serious tensions going down in that family once the TLC gravy train starts to slow up.

Boob will always control his kids in any way. I know several non-fundies who do help out their older kids with buying houses, allowing them to live at home or live in other houses they own or help them start businesses and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. But I hate how the Duggars lie about the things and try to make it seems as if Smuggar is completely independent from them.

I also agree tensions will happen once the TLC money runs out. I think the Duggars will always be ok financially but without TLC money years from now, they will have less money to start businesses for the younger sons and I can see the younger kids realizing how much Smuggar had it made.

Guest Anonymous

JimBob reminds me of Peter Cook as the devil in Bedazzled (though less personable). No matter what he says, does or promises to do, there's always a catch somewhere,

So I checked out the inventory at the Champion Motorcars website.

Wow. The lowest mileage was 81,000. Most of them were well over 100,00, there were even quite a few with over 200,000 miles on them. He is asking $5000 for a 2004 Impala with 113,000 miles on it. My son got a 2007 Impala with only 30,000 miles on it for $7000 from a Chevy dealer. He even got a 3 month warranty with his purchase. I think I understand why business isn't booming.

There was a pop up on the Duggar show that said that the Duggars buy 100 pounds of fruit per month. Divide that by 20 and it is 5 pounds of fruit per person. That is not a lot of fruit per person I think it comes out to less than half a cup per day.

To add to Lillybee's comment, when you take away skin, seeds, rinds and whatever other parts of fruit that are discarded and not consumed, it's even less fruit per person than that.

I think there will be a lot of problems in about 15-20 years, simply because there will be so many of them in one small town, all trying to run their own business. There's only so much room for small business, especially in a small town where there aren't a lot of customers to go around. They'll all end up competing against each other and there will be some tensions, especially when the younger brothers outshine their big brother just because they're not all as incompetent as he is. It will be the same thing when many of them go into politics and run against each other, especially after Jim Bob dies and no longer has complete control. The brothers might have slightly different interpretations in their fundie religion and I think that will cause big rifts. And I think Josh will have some kind of existential crisis when inevitably one of his brothers ends up more successful than him.

On the brothers competing. My money is on JOHN. He seems to be the best worker (based on the little we've seen.) He has multiple skills and I can see him acquiring more heavy machinery to operate on the side or remodeling work etc.

Also, I really doubt that all 10 boys will stay that close to home. They aren't that far from other "major" (for that part of the country) "metro" areas. Probably a few will marry girls who prefer to be near their own families and they may not be "local." At least one or two kids will likely FLEE the whole scene. Plus, there may be b-in-law who can add expertise to a business and make it more competitive. For example maybe one of the girls will marry a mechanic and he joins Josh and/or John. More services possible to expand the business. Or maybe Joe starts a septic tank or pool business and a b-i-l has experience running backhoes or doing cement or something related. Expanded business. Somehow, I'm pretty sure this is in the equation somewhere!

Or even this: someone is allowed to marry a doctor (there are some in ATI and they have kids ....) they open a doctor's office. Some of the UNmarried girls can work as billing clerks, etc., or even LPNs if they get the training. It would be a GODLY boss......

Oh to dream and plan!

I think there will be a lot of problems in about 15-20 years, simply because there will be so many of them in one small town, all trying to run their own business. There's only so much room for small business, especially in a small town where there aren't a lot of customers to go around. They'll all end up competing against each other and there will be some tensions, especially when the younger brothers outshine their big brother just because they're not all as incompetent as he is. It will be the same thing when many of them go into politics and run against each other, especially after Jim Bob dies and no longer has complete control. The brothers might have slightly different interpretations in their fundie religion and I think that will cause big rifts. And I think Josh will have some kind of existential crisis when inevitably one of his brothers ends up more successful than him.

I can see something like that happening. I have a feeling the competition will end up being between Josh, John David, Joseph and Josiah. I think some of the younger boys will leave the fundie lifestyle (sort of like Daniel Keller). I agree rifts will eventually happen for the Duggars once TLC is out of the picture. The Duggars likely will not make long term profits from the show. They probably don't make much from DVD sales. Also their books do ok but not extremely great. The Duggars aren't really lucrative in the publishing world. Their books probably don't do well in audiobook sales. I can't imagine mass amounts of people shelling out money to hear Mullet narrate the books. There are some mainstream Christians that dislike the Duggars and would never buy thier books. When it comes foreign translation rights, the Duggars probably don't do well in that area either. Foreign publishers often buy translation rights for books that are a bit broad and will sell in their countries.

Right now the Duggars are probably in the best point in their lives financially. Once the show ends they will still be ok but there will be less money and I agree rifts will happen later for different reasons. I can see Smuggar trying to get TLC back because he will struggle more without TLC.

To add to Lillybee's comment, when you take away skin, seeds, rinds and whatever other parts of fruit that are discarded and not consumed, it's even less fruit per person than that.

Or Drain the syrup and throw away the cans... :roll:

I watched the episode over again today (I have DVR). When the dentist/oral surgeon was explaining to Josh why he could not have the operation after drinking the tea and then Jimbob says something like "they could just go to the bathroom" I rolled my eyes a hundredfold. Once again Jimbob and Josh seemed to expect special treatment and acted like they knew more than the Doctor. :naughty:

I watched the episode over again today (I have DVR). When the dentist/oral surgeon was explaining to Josh why he could not have the operation after drinking the tea and then Jimbob says something like "they could just go to the bathroom" I rolled my eyes a hundredfold. Once again Jimbob and Josh seemed to expect special treatment and acted like they knew more than the Doctor. :naughty:

I laughed when Boob made the bathroom comment. He seemed not to understand the risks of the boys going under and the possibility of vomitting happening.

Did he expect them to make themselves throw up? I was seriously wondering that when Jimboob said it.

I watched the episode and I would chalk that one up to the boys being irresponsible nincompoops. Josh, in particular said he lost his prep sheet (which is the instructions the doctor's office gives you before you have surgery) Anyway Leave and cleave my ass, Josh still has his parents taking care of him, and his wife does all the housework and childrearing. Hardly a surprise he can't take care of himself.

I wonder why JimBoob and J'Chelle thought that Jinger would be the lightweight? It's not like the family ever idrinks period. Has she ever gotting zonked out on sleeping pills or benadryl or something?

I was glad the gave Jessa and Jinger food after surgery, my sister had her wisdom teeth out and then got sick from the pain medication she took on an empty stomach.

So let me get this straight. Buying, peeling, chopping and cooking apples was easier than going out and buying a 2dollar jar of applesauce? On the upside, now I know how to make homemade applesauce to go with my tatertot casserole. I bet the J-slaves were glad for a couple days off, even if they had to have minor sugery in order to get that time off.

I got the impression that Jimbob thought that Josh and Joseph could pee out the tea and it would be okay to do the surgery. I think it's safe to keep Jimbob and Smuggar out of the medical field for life! And Smuggar bringing the bottle of tea as a "apology" was okay but kind of awkward IMO

Archived