IGNORED

Daniel & Candice Keller got a baby!

Deleted07

I also am thoroughly confused by this idea that we're obliged to be nice to people who thoroughly detest us and would take huge chunks of our lives away from us, including our rights to hold down a job and even our rights to our own body. Leading people to the light by being jolly decent and sharing all your toys works in children's books, but in real life sometimes you gotta kick em inna fork to get their attention. This is the function FJ performs.

So well said. I don't even have anything to add.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't follow the Kellers that much, but is the the same couple where the husband posted on TWOP? Or is that a different brother/BIL? Were Candice and Daniel on tv in Priscilla's wedding?

Not a worry. I'm sure she came out swinging as most new moms would. That mom instinct is hard to control so I do not fault her. I can not imagine the complexities of their adoption given the family issues.

One thing (and this is not a criticism, just an observation) about this board vexes me. Why are so many posters unkind to the folks we should be trying to help escape this fundie path?

Folks are always posting about outrageous comments they made on so-and-so's blog knowing full well that they will never get posted. These comments just reinforce to these folks why they must be separated from the real world. Take a reasonable approach. A comment might make it through and help someone see the light of day.

I will answer for myself. Because it isn't my job to help them escape. And often I am frustrated because they refuse to understand the impact they had on other people.

I don't think Candice fits into this, but there are lots and lots that just sort of cover up what courtship did to them and never out the danger they peddled. I just recently went off on Jocelyn about this.

I don't follow the Kellers that much, but is the the same couple where the husband posted on TWOP? Or is that a different brother/BIL? Were Candice and Daniel on tv in Priscilla's wedding?

No. The husband who posted on TWOP was Rebekah Keller's husband Josh McDonald. They are Fundie-litish - but the Keller parents are supposedly OK with that because Rebecca just followed her headship.

Yes. Candice and Daniel were shown on TV as part of the wedding party in Priscilla's wedding. There was some speculation about whether or not they would even be at/invited to the wedding, because we believed that the Keller parents were shunning Daniel for leaving ATI. Candice and Daniel can also be seen in pictures of the Keller family reunion (sans Keller parents and the youngest brothers) at the beach earlier this year.

Edit because remembered Josh McDonald's last name.

I saw Daniel and Candice Keller on the 19 Kids and counting the other day. I could not get over what Candice looked liked. All I thought was "good for your Daniel Keller stick to your mother and father and marry and woman who is normal" I am happy for them that they were able to adopt. I wonder if his parents will see his child.

What you don't seem to be getting is that FJ is a snark board, not an "escaping fundieworld support group".

Then I think FJ should change its name. It's called 'Free Jinger', after all, which strongly suggests (evidently incorrectly, as you say) that FJers want to help people leaving fundamentalism. If FJ is nothing more than a snarkboard then it should be called something different, which has no implications of supporting fleeing fundies. Or am I the only person who sees a dichotomy between what Free Jinger is called and the snark-only purpose which many FJers attribute to it?

Then I think FJ should change its name. It's called 'Free Jinger', after all, which strongly suggests (evidently incorrectly, as you say) that FJers want to help people leaving fundamentalism. If FJ is nothing more than a snarkboard then it should be called something different, which has no implications of supporting fleeing fundies. Or am I the only person who sees a dichotomy between what Free Jinger is called and the snark-only purpose which many FJers attribute to it?

I guess you haven't read the member rules or advisories, they are pretty clear about the purpose of this forum and the sarcastic intent of this forum. Again as others have continually noted we are all individuals with our own views there is no single Hive brain. For those of us that contribute here we are grateful to the owner(s) for giving all of us a free speech zone.

I guess you haven't read the member rules or advisories, they are pretty clear about the purpose of this forum and the sarcastic intent of this forum. Again as others have continually noted we are all individuals with our own views there is no single Hive brain. For those of us that contribute here we are grateful to the owner(s) for giving all of us a free speech zone.

Um, yes I'm well aware that FJ does not have a hive mind and that we have free speech here (and I'm grateful for that). I'm also aware that it's a snarkboard. That's why I made my comment above! It just seems a bit strange to give FJ a name that implies something different to the snark purpose of the board. FJ is just a snarkboard - fine. But as it is specifically not a resource for helping fundies escape, then why call it 'Free Jinger'?

Um, yes I'm well aware that FJ does not have a hive mind and that we have free speech here (and I'm grateful for that). I'm also aware that it's a snarkboard. That's why I made my comment above! It just seems a bit strange to give FJ a name that implies something different to the snark purpose of the board. FJ is just a snarkboard - fine. But as it is specifically not a resource for helping fundies escape, then why call it 'Free Jinger'?

Obviously recognizing sarcasm isn't your suit.

Obviously recognizing sarcasm isn't your suit.

Whatever. I was just commenting on something I was curious about and thought was relevant to the topic.

Whatever. I was just commenting on something I was curious about and thought was relevant to the topic.

Life calls and I don't have the patience for remedial education right now. I do suggest you let your fingers do some walking and use the search component to learn about the history of the forum, it's origins and birth. Perhaps then you will be able to enJoy the sarcastic nature of it's name.

Life calls and I don't have the patience for remedial education right now. I do suggest you let your fingers do some walking and use the search component to learn about the history of the forum, it's origins and birth. Perhaps then you will be able to enJoy the sarcastic nature of it's name.

No need to be patronising. I've been on this board since it began and posted on the old FJ too, so I'm well aware of its history, origins and sarcastic nature, thanks.

No need to be patronising. I've been on this board since it began and posted on the old FJ too, so I'm well aware of its history, origins and sarcastic nature, thanks.

So why the need to get pissy about the name, why the need to suggest a name change if you know these things already?

Lots of things don't match up to their names, I don't think that it necessitates a name change when that happens. I think it is just a kind of catchy name so we use it. If you want to get really literal you could say we really only want to free Jinger, every other fundie be damned. Anyway, I'm not really sure how we are supposed to support Candice, she has already left fundie-ism and seems to be doing just fine without us. And judging from what she has written on here she can certainly hold her own.

So why the need to get pissy about the name, why the need to suggest a name change if you know these things already?

Eh? I didn't get pissy about the name (I've got much more important things to get pissed off about), I was just curious about it. I've seen the discussion come up several times before about whether FJ should offer support to fleeing fundies or not, and I've seen some FJers say over the time I've been here that they would help or support fundie escapees, so as FJ guidelines etc. state specifically that this isn't the case and FJ isn't a support network for fundie escapees, I was just a bit intrigued about the whole thing and how the name 'Free Jinger' ties into it.

Apologies in advance if I haven't explained this very well, but I've been feeling ill all day so am not working at full mental speed at the moment.

Lots of things don't match up to their names, I don't think that it necessitates a name change when that happens. I think it is just a kind of catchy name so we use it. If you want to get really literal you could say we really only want to free Jinger, every other fundie be damned. Anyway, I'm not really sure how we are supposed to support Candice, she has already left fundie-ism and seems to be doing just fine without us. And judging from what she has written on here she can certainly hold her own.

I daresay I was over-thinking it. I just posted impulsively after seeing a topic that interests me come up yet again, and am feeling a bit under the weather so not in my usual state of mind. Incidentally, I was talking in general terms, not specifically about Candice.

I daresay I was over-thinking it. I just posted impulsively after seeing a topic that interests me come up yet again, and am feeling a bit under the weather so not in my usual state of mind. Incidentally, I was talking in general terms, not specifically about Candice.

Oh, I see. I hope you start feeling better soon! Think thoughts of warm soup, adorable rabbits, and puffins (! in honour of FJ) to get you on the road to recovery :)

Oh, I see. I hope you start feeling better soon! Think thoughts of warm soup, adorable rabbits, and puffins (! in honour of FJ) to get you on the road to recovery :)

Aw, thanks :) I'll take your advice! I hope I'll feel better tomorrow, because I've got loads to do at work and really can't afford to take the day off. Anyway, I'd better stop taking up this thread...

Eh? I didn't get pissy about the name (I've got much more important things to get pissed off about), I was just curious about it. I've seen the discussion come up several times before about whether FJ should offer support to fleeing fundies or not, and I've seen some FJers say over the time I've been here that they would help or support fundie escapees, so as FJ guidelines etc. state specifically that this isn't the case and FJ isn't a support network for fundie escapees, I was just a bit intrigued about the whole thing and how the name 'Free Jinger' ties into it.

Apologies in advance if I haven't explained this very well, but I've been feeling ill all day so am not working at full mental speed at the moment.

Thanks for the clarification and I'm sorry you are under the weather. Let me give you my kinder and gentler interpretation of what you view as a contradiction. There are certain liabilities that are assumed by the owners of support forums, also they are usually single issue venues (i.e. DV support, OA support, AA support ). This forum talks and snarks about fundies, and a lot of subjects in between, including some amazing recipes. As individuals, members can choose to encourage and sometimes support folks who are leaving fundydom. We also have folks who have escaped and rebuilt their lives and know first hand the struggles that folks exiting cults face and obstacles they need to overcome. I would think that many of us celebrate when a fundy escapes and choses to live in a greater world.

My brain isn't working well today either so I apologize for my bad attitude.

None of my posts have been longer that 4 short (4-6 sentence) paragraphs - unless you are including the "quotes" from other posters. I never intended to be rude, but will admit to being perplexed by the vitriol towards me . However, I cry uncle. I thought this would be a fun community in which to participate but apparently I have inadvertently offended folks.

You just flounce on then, dear. If I had been sending vitriol your way, you'd really know it: "where I spit, nothing grows...ever." I think you are a hot house tulip who needs to stay in the green house.

In addition to being a fierce adoptive mother, I am also an escaped fundie, so I do have immense empathy for these young women, but I also do know how incredibly difficult it is. Officially, no, this is not why FJ is here, but unofficially, if AD wasn't a big old liar, I think she would have had an immense network of women who would have helped her to freedom. I'd love to mentor a former SAHD into the real world, but on my own, not as a part of FJ, which I am a strong supporter of. The liability is too great for these forums, which is why that is the official policy. And as treemom said: WE are not a hive vagina, so just because *I* would do this, does not mean someone else would.

Edited because I had more to say.

What is with all these newbie hand slappers? I wish they would all go form their own board full of rainbows and positive thoughts and kind hand-holding, and let us just snark in peace.

What is with all these newbie hand slappers? I wish they would all go form their own board full of rainbows and positive thoughts and kind hand-holding, and let us just snark in peace.

They seem to come in waves, no?

They seem to come in waves, no?

From my experiences on other boards, I'd guess the "waves" are a result of the mod(s) who can approve newbies doing so in bunches when they happen to be online. I don't know the structure of the hierarchy, save Aletco the Queen, but I'm sure a couple of the other mods can also approve noobs, but aren't online very frequently, hence the deluges.

Be nice to Jana814. I know her from TWOP and she's definitely NOT a fundie troll. :D

Archived