IGNORED

United Bates of America {merged}

Lillian

Do we know if they're backed by Fundies or something? There's got to be some reason that TONS of their programming seems to focus on different types of conservatives.

Maybe TLC just wants their $$$? There really aren't many TV programs that are targeted toward conservative Christians, so TLC pretty much gets every slice of that demographic pie.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe TLC just wants their $$$? There really aren't many TV programs that are targeted toward conservative Christians, so TLC pretty much gets every slice of that demographic pie.

There are plenty of programs marketed toward conservative Christians--there are entire channels devoted to that demographic, but they only appeal to people who are already on their side. Conservatives like the Bateses and the Duggars go on TLC to win converts while TLC just goes for the freak-show factor (the same reason they have shows like Hoarders and medical oddity shows).

There are plenty of programs marketed toward conservative Christians--there are entire channels devoted to that demographic, but they only appeal to people who are already on their side. Conservatives like the Bateses and the Duggars go on TLC to win converts while TLC just goes for the freak-show factor (the same reason they have shows like Hoarders and medical oddity shows).

While I completely agree with you on TLCs handle (look at the atrocity that is toddlers and tiaras - yikes) that makes me wonder why/how that table for 12 show got cancelled. The one where she used IVF to get twins and then used IVF to get twins again and still wasn't satisfied and went back again and had sextuplets. I never watched the show so I can't say if they were just horrifically boring, but I do remember hearing they had at least one or two disabled kids (in the sextuplets .. presumably due to extreme prematurity) so you'd think they'd stay on longer just out of exploitation .. I also remember hearing he was a cop. How the hell would he support his family on a cops salary?! My ex works in the law enforcement and with just two kids we couldn't make ends meet on his salary, let alone with ten, including disabled ones. I assume that's why they agreed the show.

And on a side note: have you seen some of the other shows on TLC? I don't have cable so I admit to only seeing titles and then previews online, but they have shows like "my strange addiction" where someone is "addicted" to eating chalk .. seriously?? And I think they have their own version of "intervention". I've always wondered why the hell it's called "the learning channel" .. you aren't learning anything

The Hayes family of Twins, Twins, and Sextuplets were astoundingly normal. The kids were fairly well behaved, they didn't argue a lot, and were all kind of low key so the ratings weren't huge. They have one daughter with severe CP who is one of the sextuplets.

While I completely agree with you on TLCs handle (look at the atrocity that is toddlers and tiaras - yikes) that makes me wonder why/how that table for 12 show got cancelled. The one where she used IVF to get twins and then used IVF to get twins again and still wasn't satisfied and went back again and had sextuplets. I never watched the show so I can't say if they were just horrifically boring, but I do remember hearing they had at least one or two disabled kids (in the sextuplets .. presumably due to extreme prematurity) so you'd think they'd stay on longer just out of exploitation .. I also remember hearing he was a cop. How the hell would he support his family on a cops salary?! My ex works in the law enforcement and with just two kids we couldn't make ends meet on his salary, let alone with ten, including disabled ones. I assume that's why they agreed the show.

And on a side note: have you seen some of the other shows on TLC? I don't have cable so I admit to only seeing titles and then previews online, but they have shows like "my strange addiction" where someone is "addicted" to eating chalk .. seriously?? And I think they have their own version of "intervention". I've always wondered why the hell it's called "the learning channel" .. you aren't learning anything

Table for 12 was the closest reality of any of the multiple/large family shows. They were catholic but religion wasnt shoved in your face. I didnt realize it till they showed the sextuplets graduating from a catholic preschool, and only because they had 5 different teachers(one was a nun?) because they wanted the kids to make friends and not be grouped together. They had one child with CP and she got tons of different interventions and the older kids seemed to really love her and want to help with her care. The family did not seem to get caught up in fame, the mom was still frumpy, the older kids kind of nerdy, and the young kids very smart for their age. The sextuplets started kindergarten at age 4, at the same time Kate Gosselin's kids were 7 years old in kindergarten. It is probably a good thing they got cancelled before TLC made them turn fake. They seemed to get enough money to put a very "basic" addition on the home built by the dad that had 3 more bedrooms. Oh the older 4 kids got thier own rooms, and the younger ones shared.

I don't think TLC has anything to do with a fundie slant. They will take whatever "odd" not the perfect 1960's verison of life and if they can get it cheap they will put it on tv. They have just as much trashie stuff as religious based programming.

Well, Say Yes to the Dress (New York and Atlanta versions), What Not to Wear and Randy to the Rescue would certainly fail fundie muster because if all the gay men. Heck, Lori's salon in Atlanta employs two gay men. Bridals by Lori did a wedding where one of the bridesmaids was a drag queen and they've dressed brides for same-sex weddings in New York.

I loved the Twins, Twins and Sextuplets- such a refreshingly normal show. But yeah, I'm glad it got cancelled so at least the family didn't turn into a train wreck like so many other reality TV families.

The comments on Oh No They Didn't are priceless

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/70224233.html

Not breaking because it's a snark community

if you want to keep old portraits somewhere for historical interest, that's cool. but if you have one of a KKK member, possibly the Grand Wizard, hanging in what you call your "patriotic room" over a sign that says "god bless america", you're probably racist.

The Christian cable networks don't offer much beyond the preach-and-beg-for-money shows and maybe some reruns of The Waltons or Little House on the Prairie. There's practically nothing on the mainstream networks for conservative Christians. And while there are plenty of freak shows on TLC, I don't think they portray the Duggars that way. On the contrary, the powers-that-be go out of their way to hide the more controversial aspects of the Duggars' lifestyle and beliefs. Judging from the comments on the 19 Kids Facebook page, the fans do not view it as a freak show; they see a wholesome program about a big, happy Christian family. I'm sure they'll feel the same way about the United Bates of America.

I haven't had cable for years so I only saw the previews, but thanks for explaining that to me! Nice to hear they were normal people who actually valued their children. Still have no idea how they supported that family AND sent them to parochial school. They had to have help from family - which is perfectly fine. Glad to hear they were cancelled for not being a freak show .. *sigh* only in TLC world can you actually get cancelled for NOT being a freak show.

Loved these comments:

For real, enough of the average, mediocre white families whose claim to fame is having lots of kids.

There are plenty of non-white working class families who do the same, but they dont get their own TV shows; no, they get pegged as "welfare queens" the moment they cap off at 4 kids.

Let's have a TLC show about THOSE families, and how their daily lives consist of working dead-end jobs that sanctimonious trust-fund Americans refuse to take, and paying into the tax/social welfare system that they are then judged for tapping into when they legit cannot afford to feed their kids with minimum wage.

Oh, good. Another huge family that can talk about how great & self-sufficient they are while being TV celebrities. smh.

Every says the Bateses seem nicer but the same thing could be said about the Duggars before the regular show started.

I also remember hearing he was a cop. How the hell would he support his family on a cops salary?! My ex works in the law enforcement and with just two kids we couldn't make ends meet on his salary, let alone with ten, including disabled ones. I assume that's why they agreed the show.

I read they got donations form their church but it didn't seem they acted so proud about it.

There are times I think we need to make that go viral. If that goes viral, bye bye United Bates of America.

I couldn't get past the first few comments on that Oh No They Didn't site. Those moving avatars made me seasick.

I couldn't get past the first few comments on that Oh No They Didn't site. Those moving avatars made me seasick.

Press 'esc' whenever you see moving gifs. Stops them in their tracks.

I loved the portrayal of the Hayes family in ' Table for Twelve'. They seemed so kind and calm with one another. Iirc, each of the for oldest had their own bedroom, the 3 sextuplet boys shared, 2 of the little girls shared and the last, Rebecca, had her own room because of the CP. They weren't rich, but the dad did serious diy and was able to build multiple extensions on the house himself. The oldest boy had a special bond with Rebeca and used to help care for her, and the older kids were really patient with the younger ones in general. The parents *acknowledged* that the older kids did really bear a bit of a burden, having to help out so much, yet they never seemed like second parents.

Three episodes and it's canceled.

I hope.

They have eight episodes, according to the press release. Hopefully they won't have any more episodes ordered beyond that, because there's bound to be mega-family fatigue even among TLC viewers. What can the Bates show that the Duggars haven't covered a million times already?

TLC DELIVERS MORE FAMILY FUN THIS SUMMER WITH NEW SERIES UNITED BATES OF AMERICA

(Los Angeles, CA) On Monday, August 13 at 9 PM ET/PT, TLC welcomes another supersized family in UNITED BATES OF AMERICA, an all-new series following Gil & Kelly Jo Bates and their large brood of 19 children, ranging in age from six-months to 23-years old. Audiences will recognize the Bates family from several episodes of the hit series 19 KIDS AND COUNTING, as they are close friends of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar's clan. Each thirty-minute episode of UNITED BATES OF AMERICA explores a new adventure with the Bates family as they manage everyday life in the hills of Tennessee-and the inevitable chaos that ensues with 10 girls and 9 boys running around under one roof.

This eight-part series begins with newborn Jeb's emotional homecoming from the hospital-and the unavoidable adjustment of adding another child to the family-along with the children planning for their much-anticipated annual Valentine's "I Love You Day" gift exchange soiree. Over the course of the season, Kelly Jo and Gil share their love of music and family values-from homeschooling their children, to goofing off while building chicken coops and whitewater rafting. Second oldest daughter Erin, heads off to college for the first time to continue her education beyond her many years of homeschooling and the gang goes to hang out with the Duggars at the biggest social event of the year-the annual ATI homeschooling conference.

While the Bates family makes the country life look easy, they aren't without their struggles. See how the family copes with the older boys working at Gil's dangerous tree-cutting business, and when Kelly Jo is hospitalized, can the family function smoothly without her?

MEET ALL 21 BATES:

Gil: 47-years-old, father and owns the family tree excavation business.

Kelly Jo: 45-years-old, mother and homemaker extraordinaire who loves to cook.

Zach: 23-years-old, oldest brother and recently elected youngest county commissioner in Tennessee.

Michaella: 22-years-old, oldest sister, licensed EMT and nanny.

Erin: 21-years-old, first child to attend college, studying music and teaches piano.

Lawson: 19-years-old, "official" family shopper, runs his own lawn-mowing business.

Nathan: 18-years-old and dad's right hand man in the tree-cutting business.

Alyssa:17-years-old and spends time on mission trips most recently in Peru with Erin and Tori.

Tori: 16-years-old and plays violin alongside Erin in performances.

Trace: 16-years-old, ready to play ping-pong, football or any other sport with his brothers.

Carlin: 14-years-old, wows the family with her singing as she does laundry and irons.

Josie: 12-years-old and loves to read mystery novels.

Katie: 11-years-old, Kelly Jo's helper with the little kids either brushing hair or tying shoelaces.

Jackson: 10-years-old and causing mischief with his two younger brothers.

Warden: 9-years-old and always willing to lend a hand to his older sisters no matter the task.

Isaiah: 7-years-old and a great future catch with the way he compliments all his sisters.

Addallee: 6-years-old and loves spending time jumping on their trampolines.

Ellie: 5-years-old and likes to swing on their outdoor homemade swings.

Callie: 2-years-old, lights up the room with her smile and laugh.

Judson: 20-months-old and ready to hand over the spotlight to Jeb.

Jeb: 6-months-old and a little trooper despite his medical complications.

They have eight episodes, according to the press release. Hopefully they won't have any more episodes ordered beyond that, because there's bound to be mega-family fatigue even among TLC viewers. What can the Bates show that the Duggars haven't covered a million times already?

Not one dadgum word about the courtship. I'll bet its over

How is it possible to have a 2 year's old and a 20 months old, is there a typo ? :?:

Well spotted Muriel. Callie is technically 2 but will turn 3 next month.

Trace's age is wrong too. He is 15 not 16. (I remember this one as he is the same age as my son.)

Full names and birthdates are;

Gil Bates January 1, 1965

Kelly Jo Bates October 26, 1966

Zachary Gilvin Bates December 30, 1988

Michaella Christan Bates January 23, 1990

Erin Elise Bates May, 2 1991

William Lawson Bates July 27, 1992

Kenneth Nathaniel (Nathan) Bates August 29, 1993

Alyssa Joy Bates November 9, 1994

Tori Layne Bates December 20, 1995

Trace Whitfield Bates February 1, 1997

Carlin Brianne Bates April 11, 1998

Josie Kellyn Bates August 4, 1999

Katie Grace Bates October 5, 2000

Jackson Ezekiel Bates February 17 2002

Warden Justice Bates May 19, 2003

Isaiah Courage Bates October 16, 2004

Addallee Hope Bates February 17 2006

Ellie Bridget Bates April 28, 2007

Callie-Anna Rose Bates August 2, 2009

Judson Wyatt Bates September 15, 2010

Jeb Colton Bates February 1, 2012

I loved the portrayal of the Hayes family in ' Table for Twelve'. They seemed so kind and calm with one another. Iirc, each of the for oldest had their own bedroom, the 3 sextuplet boys shared, 2 of the little girls shared and the last, Rebecca, had her own room because of the CP. They weren't rich, but the dad did serious diy and was able to build multiple extensions on the house himself. The oldest boy had a special bond with Rebeca and used to help care for her, and the older kids were really patient with the younger ones in general. The parents *acknowledged* that the older kids did really bear a bit of a burden, having to help out so much, yet they never seemed like second parents.

I loved the older Hayes girl. She was smart and funny and kind of tomboyish. Table for Twelve would come on after three episodes of 19KAC and I'd just breathe a sigh of relief at seeing a normal girl with a childhood and a future.

Wow, 20 months old and already "ready to hand over the spotlight" to an even newer baby :roll: Reminds me of the early Duggar special when they mentioned that one-year-old Jackson's future ambition was to be a big brother.

Michaella: 22-years-old, oldest sister, licensed EMT and nanny.

Michaella is a LICENSED EMT ? Really? Do they mean in a cutesy "lets make the uniform more modest" volunteer fire dept way, or did she actually go to school and become an EMT? I really really doubt that, EMT's see as much defraudage as nurses, both men and women.

I also doubt the "nanny" part. I don't think watching your own siblings counts as being a nanny. Has there been any word of Michaella watching over other people's children for pay?

I also doubt the "nanny" part. I don't think watching your own siblings counts as being a nanny. Has there been any word of Michaella watching over other people's children for pay?

I saw a picture on their site from last summer and Michaela babysits a baby boy.

By Gil, October 16, 2011 @ 7:51 pm

Dear Sara,

Yes, Michaella has a job babysitting little Brady Nichols on weekdays. She says he is a dream baby… and after seeing what a happy fellow he was at the corn maze, she has me convinced! Friends couldn’t believe Michaella would want a job babysitting after being around her younger siblings constantly, but if you know Michaella at all… you know she’s not nearly as happy without a baby in her arms! She’s always been the mothering type, even as a toddler! She absolutely LOVES her job!! Love, kelly

Archived