IGNORED

United Bates of America {merged}

Lillian

Now we are to refer to Momma Bates as Kelly Jo? Really? Kelly Jo? I don't remember anyone calling her Kelly Jo before. They're aiming for that "We're from the South and people call us by our first and middle name" to make it sound more authentic? Whatevs....

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BAKED CHICKEN PATTIES

can chicken breast- drained

2tsp. flour

1T. cornmeal

1 egg

1 tsp. melted butter

8-16 saltines- crumbled

1/2 c. milk

salt & pepper

* Mix all ingredients. Spray muffin tin with Pam. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake on 350 for 35 min. until light golden brown. Serve with ketchup.

nom nom nom!! Canned chicken with ketchup!!

gilbatesfamily.com/2011/02/01/more-recipes/

and

gilbatesfamily.com/2010/11/09/quick-recipes-for-little-ones-lunches/

Thanks, that was enough to make me ill.

Now we are to refer to Momma Bates as Kelly Jo? Really? Kelly Jo? I don't remember anyone calling her Kelly Jo before. They're aiming for that "We're from the South and people call us by our first and middle name" to make it sound more authentic? Whatevs....

Maybe it's the producer's idea because Kelly Bates sounds so similar to Kathy Bates? I've seen people get the names mixed up.

nom nom nom!! Canned chicken with ketchup!!

This is appalling! And canned chicken costs so much more than fresh... just, why?

I know. They don't have to show the full run if they're canceled.

Yes, my point was only that since TLC have already paid for the eight episodes, the ratings would have to be seriously bad (like Bristol Palin bad) for them to consider canceling before the initial run was up. I don't see that happening since TLC have already shown long term commitment to the Duggars, despite their lacklustre ratings, and their research must tell them there is an audience for the Bates or they wouldn't have invested in so many episodes.

[ETA] Even Bristol Palin's show wasn't canceled, in any case, just moved to a terrible timeslot to finish out its run.

This is appalling! And canned chicken costs so much more than fresh... just, why?

They sure love their nitrates. The bologna with instant mashed potatoes and velveeta triggered my gag reflex.

Well at least we know that product placement will give them shelves full of Swansons chicken in a can, velveeta, and Oscar Mayer products.

Why do they need cream of chicken soup in a quesadilla? Or cream cheese in chili? Or velveeta in their chicken noodle soup? And that bologna covered in instant mashed potatoes thing makes me want to vomit. I did not even know you could make a sandwich with canned beenie weanies. Kelly makes Michelle look like Julia Child.

Why do they need cream of chicken soup in a quesadilla?

I missed that one... I just threw up in my mouth a little. Jesus Kelly - broil some chicken breasts, shred them up and make stuff out of it. Use herbs and spices, not saltines.

BLECH, why the heck can't she use a nice Basil Pesto or even a Sundried Tomato Pesto, its better quality tastes good and can be made from scratch or bought in jars that are still better quality than the freaking soup mix crap!!!

Maybe it's the producer's idea because Kelly Bates sounds so similar to Kathy Bates? I've seen people get the names mixed up.

Oh my! I didn't even think of that- you know it would be hella cool to see Kelly Bates go all cray-cray on Gil like Kathy Bates did in Misery... or Kelly Bates to start tutoring a very tall, athletic Black/African American football player like Kathy Bates' character MIss Sue in The Blind Side.......... now that would be great reality TV. I might consider watching it.

BTW, loved Kathy Bates in The Blind Side- especially when she told Leigh Ann Touhy (Sandra Bullock) "I'm a democrat."

This is the one that gagtastifies me.

Totally astounded by that one. I've never seen chicken noodle soup with cheese in it in my life.

What is wrong with me? I cooked chicken breast, fresh asparagus, and sweet potato for dinner tonight. I also cut fresh watermelon.

The poor or formerly poor will know what I am talking about here... this is the kind of crap you make when you are getting food from a food bank. You know, "We got chicken in a can and some saltines... lets try to make that into something like real chicken and maybe serve the slightly wilted salad on the side?" But you don't share those recipes and you sure as hell do not tell anyone that you fed that crap to your innocent children like it was a proper dinner.

Maybe they have been eating donations for years and don't realize that chicken comes in normal butcher packages. That is the only explanation I can come up with.

The poor or formerly poor will know what I am talking about here... this is the kind of crap you make when you are getting food from a food bank. You know, "We got chicken in a can and some saltines... lets try to make that into something like real chicken and maybe serve the slightly wilted salad on the side?" But you don't share those recipes and you sure as hell do not tell anyone that you fed that crap to your innocent children like it was a proper dinner.

Maybe they have been eating donations for years and don't realize that chicken comes in normal butcher packages. That is the only explanation I can come up with.

I totally agree.

Why do they need cream of chicken soup in a quesadilla? Or cream cheese in chili? Or velveeta in their chicken noodle soup? And that bologna covered in instant mashed potatoes thing makes me want to vomit. I did not even know you could make a sandwich with canned beenie weanies. Kelly makes Michelle look like Julia Child.

Just the thought of eating any of that makes me nauseous.

This is definitely some of the worst fundy food I've found. Really, I can't wait until Kelly comes out with a cook book. I wonder what Douggie would think of the culinary wonders?

I like tons of white trash food, don't get me wrong. I'm not above eating marinara sauce on white bread if I don't have any pasta and I ate hot dogs on a daily basis as a kid. But those recipes are just nauseating. Why would anyone ruin perfectly good and simply quesadillas by adding cream soup? That just doesn't make any sense! All you need is cheese, chicken, and tortillas. And barely a vegetable in sight. The most they're getting is the few beans in the chili dip and the weird sandwiches.

I'm lazy. I'm cheap. I've made tons of easy recipes and they all taste better, cost less, and are healthier than any of those recipes. Canned chicken and processed bologna are expensive. They could really benefit by exploring more non-meat options. If they really must have meat, it's probably easier to roast an entire chicken or turkey that they can get on sale than to individually fry 20 slices of bologna and then bake that. Sandwiches are only convenient for a few people. Once you get past 6 or so, it's really a pain to make an individual sandwich for each person. It's so much easier to just boil a big pot of rice and beans and then just scoop instead of making 20 individual little entrees.

This is the one that gagtastifies me.

Yeah, I pretty much adore cheese, even Velveeta. I put it in a lot of things because I don't like any condiments so cheese often adds flavor. But even I wouldn't put any cheese in chicken noodle soup. That just doesn't make any sense. Wouldn't it just clump up in the bottom of the pot? Cheese doesn't really go well with soup unless it's thick like tomato or if it's part of the experience like french onion soup. Watery, brothy soups just wouldn't hold the cheese.

Color me naive. I never knew canned chicken even existed before reading that messipe. *vomit smiley here*

This is on par with Rachael 's craptasticness. Both of them (and the Duggars) will kill you if you eat their stuff with any regularity.

I totally get that sometimes people get food in a box handed to them by a volunteer and you have to make the best of it. btdt. But if she has a recipe, that indicates that she buys the ingredients (with Lawson's money, natch). So she is paying, what? twice as much? as she might pay for a nice simple chicken dinner. Roast a chicken with some onions and garlic stuffed inside it, maybe some potatoes and carrots and whatnot.

And velveeta in soup. Erm, yeah.

Growing up, our house was hardly gourmet central, but I had no idea the assortment of food that comes in a can. Bread, chicken...but is it really easier than throwing a bunch of frozen chicken breasts in a slow cooker with Italian dressing, BBQ sauce, or marinade?

I totally agree.

I also completely agree with this. Remember when the Duggars first started going there? They were living with 16 or 17 kids in 1000sq ft house! The boys were sleeping an attic space where the roof/ceiling angles down. They could barely stand in their room. It was horrendous. I think it also doubled as their closet. AND they had only one washer dryer at that point. Now that's scary. Definitely means someone was getting up every hour or so at night to switch loads.

I get that they don't - or at least didn't - have a lot of money, it's still cheaper to buy some freezer bags and buy fresh chicken in bulk and just freeze it. A lot healthier, too. Even my parents - who couldn't care less about eating healthy - buy fresh chicken from the local farmers market and do that. (If you buy more than 10lbs it goes down to $2 something a pound. And they - two people who live by themselves and have only child who doesn't eat meat - do these on a regular basis.)

Maybe it was food stamp money, too, but I highly doubt that. Do places like Aldi sell fresh meat?? (I've honestly never been there so I really do not know)

I think with food stamps you can shop pretty much anywhere, but I imagine the Bates are against that and instead do food banks and receive donations.

Color me naive. I never knew canned chicken even existed before reading that messipe. *vomit smiley here*

This is on par with Rachael 's craptasticness. Both of them (and the Duggars) will kill you if you eat their stuff with any regularity.

Ditto on the canned chicken. Never knew that existed until reading this. Very disgusting.

Growing up, our house was hardly gourmet central, but I had no idea the assortment of food that comes in a can. Bread, chicken...but is it really easier than throwing a bunch of frozen chicken breasts in a slow cooker with Italian dressing, BBQ sauce, or marinade?

My parents did this all the time growing up. Throw some italian dressing in a bag with the chicken and let it sit for the day. Simple. Also, crock pots are incredibly simple as well. Just toss it all together in the morning and there's zero effort in making dinner. Zero.

I think with food stamps you can shop pretty much anywhere, but I imagine the Bates are against that and instead do food banks and receive donations.

You can, but I was thinking along the lines of not being able to use them at produce stands or at the local farmers market. And if they shop at Aldi, like the duggars, they may not really have a decent variety of fresh fruits and veggies and meats from which to choose. And that's all assuming Aldi's even takes food stamps. We have a few places like that around here and they do not accept food stamps or coupons. I remember the duggars mentioning that they don't use coupons bc the store they go to doesn't take them. If they don't take coupons they may not accept food stamps. Also, the stores around here, don't have fresh fruits or meats. At all. They have some veggies, but the selection isn't all that great and you pretty much need to eat it within a day or two.

ETA: By "stores around here" I mean the second hand grocery stores. They're all mennonite run, which is kind of cool, and they have a variety of the oddest things, but fruits and a meat stand are not among them. And now that I think about it, one of them does have a deli stand with cheeses. But the others don't have that. Their freezers aren't even up to code with temperature (My dad runs a grocery store. The first thing he mentioned when I took him was the freezer temp) so getting frozen meat is a bit of a risk. But it's all cheap and their non perishables are decent.

Archived