IGNORED

From BuzzFeed: 56 Things I Learned at Creation Fest

ceg045

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Auntie Anne's is a Christian company? :cry:

Could be a franchisee. Though most of their locations are corporate owned, I believe they did used to franchise and there are still a few out there.

That being said, Auntie Anne is a real person. She was born and raised Amish. However, she left the community, started the company, sold it and now rides her motorcycle across the USA. Apparently she is quite the colorful character.

I thought the Mr Rogers t-shirt was odd as well. He was a Presbyterian minister, aside from being a TV personality, and by all accounts pretty much the epitome of a loving, caring, generous Christian man.

I clicked on the Creation Fest vs. Juggalos link at the end. wowzers. I was only vaguely aware of ICP in highschool. The kids who wore their t-shirts scared me, fresh out of a very sheltered cult, lol.

So Much Cool Stuff. I would buy it and wear it just to scare the comrades, lol. Not sure who Mr Rogers is/was but he sounds like a nice bloke so I would miss that shirt out. And we don't have a car so no bumper stickers. I didn't like those much anyway.

If I ever go to America I want to go to this. It's so...American. Mind you some of the girls look a bit defrauding! And I might get some funny looks ;)

I think my fave was the giant pickle, there was somewhat of a pickle theme, no? I like pickles a lot so definitely get one of them.

Wouldn't bother with the Juggalos though. Juggalos are almost 100% utter twats and ICP are shit.

Could be a franchisee. Though most of their locations are corporate owned, I believe they did used to franchise and there are still a few out there.

That being said, Auntie Anne is a real person. She was born and raised Amish. However, she left the community, started the company, sold it and now rides her motorcycle across the USA. Apparently she is quite the colorful character.

Thanks for the background info. When I read that I wasn't sure if the author was being serious or sarcastic. I grew up in Harrisburg (home of the very first Auntie Anne's) and I love their pretzels so I really didn't want it to be true. I looked them up on Wikipedia and it said nothing about being an explicitly Christian company, although that is certainly a halo in the logo which I never noticed before. Halos can be kind of secular though and since there aren't any Bible verses and they aren't closed on Sundays and they don't host creepy date nights with incestuous overtones, I figured I'd keep eating their delicious pretzels. But if Auntie Anne is a rebel from the Amish, that's even better. She may or may not still be Christian but I don't really care as long as evangelizing isn't considered part of the business model. It looks like I'm safe to keep enjoying this deliciousness.

Thanks for the background info. When I read that I wasn't sure if the author was being serious or sarcastic. I grew up in Harrisburg (home of the very first Auntie Anne's) and I love their pretzels so I really didn't want it to be true. I looked them up on Wikipedia and it said nothing about being an explicitly Christian company, although that is certainly a halo in the logo which I never noticed before. Halos can be kind of secular though and since there aren't any Bible verses and they aren't closed on Sundays and they don't host creepy date nights with incestuous overtones, I figured I'd keep eating their delicious pretzels. But if Auntie Anne is a rebel from the Amish, that's even better. She may or may not still be Christian but I don't really care as long as evangelizing isn't considered part of the business model. It looks like I'm safe to keep enjoying this deliciousness.

Haha Chick-Fil-A they are not. I know several people who work for them and they are great people...I've never come across any evangelical batshit from them. I was thinking that the food stand owner was possibly a franchisee, and that might explain their presence at Creation Fest.

I've also worked with Chick Fil A and they never return calls. I don't have a particulary high opinion of them through my contact with them, but they do give out free chicken fingers in their corporate office.

Not sure who Mr Rogers is/was but he sounds like a nice bloke so I would miss that shirt out.quote]

Mr. Rogers had a children's show on public television in the US from the 70's to the 90's (I think). He was a kind man who treated kids like people, spoke in a soothing voice, and explained things really well. They did a segment on every show called "the Land of Make Believe" (if I get any of this wrong, someone correct me, it's been years!) that was mainly puppets, there was a lot of stuff about sharing, helping, being nice, not hurting feelings, etc. The show was for really little kids (by the time you hit 5 it was boring) and was rather slow moving, nothing flashy or anything, so a lot of people make fun of it, but most people have really fond memories of it.

In the 70's congress tried to cut PBS' funding. Mr. Rogers walked into congress, testified, and put the republicans who wanted to cut the program to shame without ever raising his voice or using a harsh word. It's on youtube. It's epic. Watch it.

Doesn't one of our FJers have a Land of Make Believe puppet as her avatar? I'm sorry, I don't remember who.

ETA: I don't get the dislike of Fred Rogers either, and would have asked the person selling the t-shirt about it.

Doesn't one of our FJers have a Land of Make Believe puppet as her avatar? I'm sorry, I don't remember who.

ETA: I don't get the dislike of Fred Rogers either, and would have asked the person selling the t-shirt about it.

I'm guessing it's something along the lines of "he's a great guy but God will still smite him if he doesn't have Jesus!" type of thing.

I'm guessing it's something along the lines of "he's a great guy but God will still smite him if he doesn't have Jesus!" type of thing.

But he was a minister! Maybe because he is quiet and gentle and loved kids that isn't "manly" enough?

Thanks guys for explaining to me! I take it he's not still alive?

I will look for the youtube.

Nope he died quite awhile ago. 2003, maybe? I remember my mom picking me up school and telling me about listening to the coverage of his death on ebil-socalist-NPR and what a genuinely wonderful man he seemed to be even outside of his TV show.

The irony of all the abstinence stuff is that Creation is where so many kids have their first kiss, make out with their significant other, etc. I had my first kiss at Creation next to the campfire, with a boy I met that day.

You and I know there is nothing wrong with that, but it is just funny to see how harshly some of the propaganda pushes abstinence when the reason most kids go to Creation is to meet some nice Christian boys/girls. Creation is to evangelicals like Big Sandy or homeschool conferences are to fundies.

Here ya go:

Here's an episode of the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEuefF8fFRE

He was a minister, and very Christlike. That's why they hate him.

ETA: They also hate that a man is far more nurturing, caring, and loving than any fundy woman you'll run across.

Please share.

She had a guy friend that was gay, convinced him he wasn't ("it's a mental disorder"), started dating him and made him go to therapy and see a psychiatrist because of it. Now he's a fundie married to some other girl and they go on facebook and talk about what good christians they are and how they're better christians than other people. classy. not to mention he's racist and when i was debating something with his girlfriend now wife on facebook he says "just like a black girl to put her two cents in where it's not needed"

oh and on another lovely occasion she told me i was a slut because i had sex with my boyfriend at the time. something about staying a virgin before marriage or some shit. then 2 months later i'm hearing about her anal adventures which is apparently okay because she's still a virgin because she didn't have vaginal intercourse. :roll:

oh and on another lovely occasion she told me i was a slut because i had sex with my boyfriend at the time. something about staying a virgin before marriage or some shit. then 2 months later i'm hearing about her anal adventures which is apparently okay because she's still a virgin because she didn't have vaginal intercourse. :roll:

Heh, he probably likes anal since he can pretend she's a guy.

Here ya go:

Here's an episode of the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEuefF8fFRE

He was a minister, and very Christlike. That's why they hate him.

ETA: They also hate that a man is far more nurturing, caring, and loving than any fundy woman you'll run across.

Seeing Mr Rogers always makes me smile. These are my two favorite videos of him:

Upm9LnuCBUM

and

TcNxY4TudXo

*sniffles*

Seeing Mr Rogers always makes me smile. These are my two favorite videos of him:

Upm9LnuCBUM

and

TcNxY4TudXo

*sniffles*

I just watched the full episode. I got sniffly too. THAT is what someone who loves children and cares about their wellbeing looks like. I don't see how ANYONE could be opposed to letting children watch his show. There were no bible verses or anything, so the fundies would be upset. Mr. Rogers was a minster, and smart enough to know that KJV verses are not what five year old need to learn self control and socialization.

Compare him to say, Jichelle, and vomit.

Upm9LnuCBUM

and

TcNxY4TudXo

*sniffles*

:cry:

Warms the cold, black cockles of my jaded little heart.

Anyone who messes with Mr. Rogers should be prepared for epic ass whooping. My generation does not take disrespect of this man lightly. For a lot of my generation, he's a weird mix of Santa Clause (sans presents), Jesus, and the grandpa we wish we could have had.

She had a guy friend that was gay, convinced him he wasn't ("it's a mental disorder"), started dating him and made him go to therapy and see a psychiatrist because of it. Now he's a fundie married to some other girl and they go on facebook and talk about what good christians they are and how they're better christians than other people. classy. not to mention he's racist and when i was debating something with his girlfriend now wife on facebook he says "just like a black girl to put her two cents in where it's not needed"

Maybe I'm being unreasonably immature, but that makes her poop on Satan sticker even funnier.

Anyone who messes with Mr. Rogers should be prepared for epic ass whooping. My generation does not take disrespect of this man lightly. For a lot of my generation, he's a weird mix of Santa Clause (sans presents), Jesus, and the grandpa we wish we could have had.

That is an amazing summery of him, very well said.

If all Christians were more like Mr Rogers, I would not have a single problem with Christianity.

Sweet videos! I could, though it pains me to admit it, have done with a granddad like him too. My earliest memory of mine is him and my dad yelling at each other about the unions, he refused to come to my mum and dad's wedding because my dad is Scottish and he disapproves of the Scots, he backhanded me across the face for throwing up in his car when I was four, and he is EXTREMELY racist. And I mean EXTREMELY.

Archived