IGNORED

Warren Jeffs: Prophet of Evil - A&E documentary

Has anyone watched Warren Jeffs: Prophet of Evil? It is an A&E documentary.

A couple of the of the former FLDS were previously on Escaping Polygamy. (Rachel Jeffs, Isaac Jeffs)

It was a good documentary. I have read several books and the nice thing about this documentary was that it put all the stories together in the timeline. It told how the people in short creek didn't know about Eldorado nor Pringle or the other properties (Colorado & Canada). Besides the abuse, it talked about Warren hiding from the feds, talked about the raid on YFZ ranch and what the feds found (all the birth records, etc). It also went more into how Warren raised to power. Which I have read in other books but it was interesting to hear from other voices on how it all fit together. The documentary also talked about the lost boys suing for control of the FLDS land trust (UEP) and that many (including Elissa Wall) have moved back and trying to take back the town. One of them said that more and more are waking up and the people leaving call it "waking up" to the truth. The school is flourishing (which FJ has talked about before).

Out of all the cults, I think this one might actually be dying out. It will still take another generation. The good news is the education, education is the one way to break out of cults and that is why these fundies and cults heavily deny education. Cult leaders can't have the people thinking! I do wish the prison would put more restrictions on access to Warren by the followers.

If you haven't seen the episode I highly suggest watching it.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

I watched it tonight. Very well done, with lots of different perspectives. I'd like to see more like this on A&E. Very heartened to hear that the Utah government has opened a public school in Short Creek and that it is well attended. Hopefully access to an actual education and some research skills will help move the remaining extremist pockets back into something that's more respectful of people's human rights. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I finally got around to watching it. It's very well done. Also, a lot of information I never knew. I think maybe 2 more "generations" and this cult will die out. From what I read in the news, Warren isn't letting anyone reproduce. There hasn't been a baby born in Short Creek in a long time. And a lot of people are just leaving. Apparently, thousands of people left already.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Note: I couldn't get the NBC page for DateLine or Unbreakable to open, so don't know if it's available for streaming. 

DateLine  aired the two-hour Unbreakable special Friday night, a powerful documentary about Rebecca Muser's escape from polygamy and subsequent role in sending Warren Jeffs to prison, eventually for life.  Rebecca  was married at 19 to 85 year-old Rulon Jeffs (who already had 20 wives), and yes, to her disgust and horror, he apparently unsuccessfully attempted to consummate their "marriage."  The next time she was supposed to go to him, she refused.  He subsequently had a stroke,  lived for five or so more years and had 65 wives by the time he died.  I'd say she was (relatively) fortunate; has she been married to a younger man she would have had numerous children and not been able to leave or at least leave as easily. 

As time went on (I think she was 27), she was told by Warren that she was to be married within a week (she didn't know to who, but possibly Warren).  A few days later,  she left with an FLDS guy (illicit boyfriend? friend?) and they drove non stop to Coos Bay, Oregon where her brother, who had left the FLDS earlier,  had invited her to come stay. 

Her younger sister had been forced at 14 to marry her 19-year-old cousin. The sister, who did not want to be married and especially not to that cousin, suffered emotional, sexual and psychological abuse at his hands.  Rebecca eventually helped that sister escape and press charges against Warren (rape as an accomplice) and rape (against the cousin). 

After the 2004 (?) raid on the FLDS YFZ (Yearning for Zion) Ranch in Texas, the Texas Rangers called on Rachel to help sort through the voluminous records recovered and explain what they meant and who was who, which helped document the many underage marriages.  That raid also recovered an audio of Warren marrying raping a 12-year-old girl in the Temple at the  YFZ Ranch.  There was ample evidence that the top floor of the YFZ temple was the site of ritualized rape.  The jury listening to that audio certainly sealed his fate of life in prison.

Warren Jeffs is one of the creepiest, most repellent humans on the planet, and this episode is just a reminder.  He was credibly accused of raping a boy, but can't remember if he was tried.  He was (is) a horrible human being.  He's where he should be, doing life without parole in Huntsville, TX. 

Rachel's mother refuses contact with her and still believes deeply that Warren is a holy prophet.  Apparently, most FLDS have left Short Creek, although some still remain. 

YFZ Ranch (1700 acres) was finally sold about a year ago for 4.17 million to a company that is turning it into a training center for military and law enforcement. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

On 5/10/2020 at 12:33 PM, Howl said:

Her younger sister had been forced at 14 to marry her 19-year-old cousin. The sister, who did not want to be married and especially not to that cousin, suffered emotional, sexual and psychological abuse at his hands.  Rebecca eventually helped that sister escape and press charges against Warren (rape as an accomplice) and rape (against the cousin). 

Her sister is Elissa Wall she wrote “Stollen Innocence” the book is good. It good be triggering for some people. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Innocence

On 5/10/2020 at 12:33 PM, Howl said:

He was credibly accused of raping a boy, but can't remember if he was tried. 

I don’t think he was tried. The book is by Brent Jeff’s, nephew of Warren. Brent accuses Warren of sexual abuse and details men and boys being kicked out. The book is “Lost Boy” https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brent_W._Jeffs  again a good but very disturbing.

One thing newcomers to the FLDS watchers need to realize is when warren had everyone move from Salt Lake City, the families stopped seeing “normal families” and the academy closed and when they all were in short creek the kids were kind of home/co-op schooled but many were starting work at a very young age. Like other cults, keep the people dumb. Since the homes were taken back by the towns the faithful FLDS have mostly left town. Compounds in Pringle, SD and in Bountiful (Canada) and other places. With every move the people get more and more isolated and my guess, less education and less information from the outside world. True cult control. 

I agree with @Howl the special was really done well and makes me so sad for all those still brainwashed by this sick bastard that is still ruling from behind bars.

• Upvote 3

One thing to note about Elissa and Rebecca's books - they use different names for the same people. It can be SEVERELY confusing when there are a million sister wives involved. Especially when they're related.

But, brave women, excellent story. The documentary is a good place to start.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

I had perused both stories, and  had no idea Until the Dateline special they were sisters. Brent Jeffs, Warren Jeffs nephew accused his uncle of sexually assaulting him.  He wrote a book I would like to read, i believe it's titled Lost Boy. 

• Upvote 2

I believe the sister's book is The Witness Wore Red - which is a good read.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

13 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

With every move the people get more and more isolated and my guess, less education and less information from the outside world.

20 Minutes (20-20/60 Minutes) did an episode a year or two ago on a lost boy who was adopted into a regular family as an older teen.  He was put into the work force as a child and did not know how to read.  At all.

13 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

One thing newcomers to the FLDS watchers need to realize is when warren had everyone move from Salt Lake City, the families stopped seeing “normal families” and the academy closed and when they all were in short creek the kids were kind of home/co-op schooled but many were starting work at a very young age.

That Warren and Rulon lived in Salt Lake City originally was totally lost on me until watching Unbreakable.

Edited by Howl

11 hours ago, Howl said:

That Warren and Rulon lived in Salt Lake City originally was totally lost on me until watching Unbreakable.

Oh yeah! And the kids went to public school and then Warren started to run the Alta academy. This is why the kids that grew up (and growing up) in short creek, YFZ ranch, bountiful and Pringle (SD) are all screwed educationally. 

One of the books I read, (by one of the Jeffs or one of Rulon’s wives) suggested that warren was pulling strings before Rulon’s strokes and someone said Warren was the only one with him when he died. 

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

The special just started (8pm est 6/30) on a&e if anyone missed it the first time 

• Upvote 1

Elissa’s second husband Lamont Barlow (now ex) has also spoken out. He and Elissa are still on good terms I believe. He supported her through the trial and they have kids together. He really wants to make Short Creek back into a regular town again. He wants people that have left the FLDS to move back and make it their home again. He’s trying to get along with those still in the cult. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1