IGNORED

Where in the World Is Doug Philips (Who Is a Tool)? Part 6: With the Gyrating Flesh

Coconut Flan

40 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I have a tendency to believe that most of these mega-religious leaders dont' really believe most of the shit they are selling. These people have found a way to attain glory and they can put on a good, very believable show. 

I think at first they might believe a little. But once they get a bit of attention and admiration, they brainstorm and try to come up with beliefs they think will get them even more attention (whether they actually believe it or not). They might test the waters a bit and if they get the right reaction, they go all in and start focusing on what they know will be eaten up by their followers. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Responding to Howl--

CONSTANTLY talking.  Very dramatic.  Talked out of the side of one of his mouth-drawing his lips/mouth to one side (did anyone else observe this?).  Yes, arrogant but more pompous and show off-y and insufferable with a constantly annoying flood of "facts" and arguments flowing and flowing and flowing. (spewing and spewing and spewing) for whatever he was talking about.  Flatterer. Wore cowboy boots a lot. Did not give you or others much room to respond or to get a word in edgewise. And when he was fixated on something just went on and on and on about it.

As he taught, Jesus said, "Watch out for the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and be greeted with respect in the marketplaces, and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. They devour widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. These men will be punished most severely. Mark 12:38-40

To the other question--Justice runs in the triathlons. Joshua just got married.  The older daughters buy lipstick and hang on with people 5 times their age and self aggrandize about it (see first paragraph).

1 minute ago, Quinquagenarian said:

CONSTANTLY talking.  Very dramatic.  Talked out of the side of one of his mouth-drawing his lips/mouth to one side (did anyone else observe this?).  Yes, arrogant but more pompous and show off-y and insufferable with a constantly annoying flood of "facts" and arguments flowing and flowing and flowing. (spewing and spewing and spewing) for whatever he was talking about.  Flatterer. Wore cowboy boots a lot. Did not give you or others much room to respond or to get a word in edgewise. And when he was fixated on something just went on and on and on about it.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. That's how they avoid questions. They just talk and talk without saying much. But the way they say it makes you believe he knows what he's talking about. And by the time you take it all in and actually have a question, he's gone or onto another topic. So too late to question! And the cowboy boots were most likely to give him a bit of height. These men want to be big in all ways.

49 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I have a tendency to believe that most of these mega-religious leaders dont' really believe most of the shit they are selling. These people have found a way to attain glory and they can put on a good, very believable show. 

Religion is big business too.  And some of them know it and exploit people cold-bloodedly.  I doubt Peter Popoff has a religious bone in his body.  He is in it for the cash and the kicks.

As for the rest (there are too many fallen Christian evangelical leaders to list these days!) some of them may genuinely believe in what they preach at the beginning but get greedy for money and power.  Well, perhaps a few genuinely believe.  

So-called Biblical Patriarchy attracts a whole slew of nasty men who hate women far more than they love God.  In my opinion.   Not all of them are the scum rising to the top like Doug but the beliefs themselves are ugly.

Re. Doug:  he's reportedly absolutely charming and "charismatic" when he wants to be.  I always tend to be suspicious of people described as having charisma because they so often turn out to be scammers and exploiters.  They are not always easy to sniff out though.

It is also surprising how many people were wise after the even about Doug on Carmon Freidrich's FB page.  But then there was that whole camp of supporters who refused to believe that he could do anything wrong.  Or that if he had slipped into sin it was totes OK because King David.  :confused2:

As much as DPIARBT always like to mark "dates"  (This is the illustrious anniversary of the Titanic, My wife's birth, my umpteenth child's birth, anniversary of some discovery/court decision etc), I find it hard to believe that Tooloween comes and goes without some weeping and gnashing of teeth on his part.....

The Tool has updated the "about" section on Cinemaofwonder.com since the last time I looked:

Doug is a cinematographer,. writer and director currently known for Bobby Bowden Goes to War, an eleven part television series to be released in 2018 on World War II and starring award winning Coach Bobby Bowden. Doug has filmed in more than 20 countries, and has directed and appeared in productions from the Amazon Rain Forest to Iceland. 

Well, hardly currently known for a TV series that hasn't been released.  I wonder whether this is the series he was trying to flog to the History Channel.  It was being funded by 2 attorneys, IIRC.  We have the dirt on it (most of it I can't remember) hidden back on an old thread.

As I know very little about sports and sod all about American Football I had to google the "award winning" Bobby Bowden.  Apparently there is some scandal in his past too.  He resigned because of an academic scandal: allowing ineligible (failing) students to play so some of his wins were vacated by the NCAA.   So another cheater, but in football not in marriage.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Bowden

Religion is big business too.  And some of them know it and exploit people cold-bloodedly.  I doubt Peter Popoff has a religious bone in his body.  He is in it for the cash and the kicks.

Ditto Robert Tilton.

ETA:  Here’s a video from Dallas’ WFAA-TV answering the question “Where is Bob now?”

I'm just thinking what an old DPIARBT will look like. And trying not to incorporate the Bette Davis Baby Jane parallel to Beall that someone raised a while back into that

9 hours ago, Quinquagenarian said:

Did you "know" him through his blog or were you ever around him in person? I ask because I can see him being far more believable from afar and just from reading what he wrote and even maybe watching his oh-so-choreographed video or audio or public performances. But being around him, to me, was quite illuminating to someone with even half a smeller that something was not right. Call it Cray-Dar maybe!  It went into Hiroshima mode for me whenever I was around him and that was a long long time ago.

I only knew him through his blog, so yeah, I probably have a different perspective from those who knew him in person. I would guess we've all seen that anyone can present an ideal image through a blog. But he apparently fooled a lot of the fundies he spent time with - Peter Bradrick, for instance, looked up to him immensely until the confrontation over Lourdes. He was stunned at Doug's response to him and the other men. (I'm still happy that Peter, Doug's golden child, had the balls to criticize Doug on social media when others in the inner circle wouldn't.) Though some people may have been ignoring warning signs b/c they only saw what they wanted to see. Some people, while probably sincere about their Christian beliefs, were just as smug and self-righteous as him and so being a part of what he created reinforced their ideas about themselves.

14 hours ago, smittykins said:

Ditto Robert Tilton.

ETA:  Here’s a video from Dallas’ WFAA-TV answering the question “Where is Bob now?”

*shudder* you just made me recall I went to a wedding at Word of Faith many years ago. I'd blocked that out. Bleh.

(Why is my home state so effed up that we produce these pseudo-religious quack megalomaniacs and megachurches?!)

I was looking at some of Jordan Niednagel's old blog posts and I found this from when he went to the San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival:

http://www.niednagel.com/blog/october2006.htm

If you go halfway down the first post on the page, you'll see a pic of some guy seen through a video camera, with the following caption from Jordan (emphasis mine):

Ok, so they ask for a volunteer to be the subject of a lesson, and immediately this kid bolts up onto the stage and sits down. He was basically the only individual in the building not wearing dress clothes and whose hair wasn't nicely parted down the side and hair-sprayed. Not Vision Forum material, if you catch my drift. Philips must have been squirming in his chair as the kid made funny faces into the camera nearly the entire time. Can't say I didn't personally enjoy it, though. :-)

Hahahahaha. Even Jordan saw it back then.

5 hours ago, Corntree said:

I was looking at some of Jordan Niednagel's old blog posts and I found this from when he went to the San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival:

http://www.niednagel.com/blog/october2006.htm

If you go halfway down the first post on the page, you'll see a pic of some guy seen through a video camera, with the following caption from Jordan (emphasis mine):

Hahahahaha. Even Jordan saw it back then.

Seeing the old photos from the SAICFF makes me remember something that really irked me when Beall launched her totally-not-trying-to-get-back-into-the-limelight-wink-wink blog.  Her first post was basically a long FAQ section, and over and over again she referred to VF as "our little catalog business". 

WTF

By no means was that a "little catalog business".  That was a damned empire in the making.  Y'all had more corporate spin-offs and side projects than google.  The catalog part of the business was the least of it.  Conferences, documentaries, film festivals, NCFIC, tourism, speaking tours, an "alternative" law school that never really got off the ground.  Douggie even tried to buy property in Jamestown to create an alternative history museum, but he was either blocked or the funding fell through.  

Little catalog business my visionary ass.

On 10/31/2017 at 10:02 AM, dripcurl said:

Has a mass book burning of Vision Forum materials been discussed on here ever? It might be fun to throw So Much More in the firepit tonight. Seems appropriate.

Go for it. I’ll bring the marshmallows.

On 11/1/2017 at 4:55 PM, barnacles said:

Unfortunately, It's hard to sustain second hand beliefs over a long period of time, even if you had intended to do so in the beginning.  Eventually the real Doug was exposed for the world to see. 

Somehow I’m reminded of Sproul Jr. Except he played the role of Party Boy for years and got away with it. Y’know, the kind of thing like implying the Presbyterians are way more fun than the Baptists because they have beer and booze.

Yeah, Party Boy is a really nice, happy-jolly cover for the horrible theology he espoused. Makes me think of Pennywise.

On 11/2/2017 at 6:19 AM, Howl said:

Was he -- Too friendly? Arrogant?  Just weird? 

From a brief encounter at a conference: plastic. Not quite real. In retrospect, the vibe reminds me of what I’d expect from an android programmed to act human, and overdoing it a bit.

but I dismissed my gut feelings because they were so obviously wrong, don’t you know... I was surrounded by a crowd of true believers, so I figured the problem was with me and my rebellious nature, not with him and his showmanship and teachings.

DPIAT filmed this Halloween Burlesque fundraiser in Colorado.

The clips he's shared are all set to "friends of friends" (apparently one of my friends knows one of the dancers, which is why I can see the clips... it's a small world ) so I can't screenshot/link to the videos themselves, unfortunately. The videos I saw involve a variety of closeup booty shots, pole dancing, and aerial performances.  DPIAT is gushing over the performances with descriptions such as "extremely hot" and "sensual".

The fact that he is promoting all this is just further evidence that the "biblical womanhood" he "encouraged" on his wife and daughters is just emotional abuse. What a sadistic control freak. 

5 hours ago, RebelliousEscapee said:

DPIAT is gushing over the performances with descriptions such as "extremely hot" and "sensual".

I would like to see that post, at the same time I'd like not to see it.  This makes me think that Beall must be back in Texas (in San Antonio?)  and DPIAT is at the Durango house, or maybe he has that little hotel room above a bar.  

8 hours ago, refugee said:

plastic. Not quite real. In retrospect, the vibe reminds me of what I’d expect from an android programmed to act human, and overdoing it a bit.

Yes!! In a Stepford kind of way. Well put!!

8 hours ago, RebelliousEscapee said:

DPIAT is gushing over the performances with descriptions such as "extremely hot" and "sensual".

But how could ANYONE believe Lourdes?   :2wankers:  Could someone crank up Cyndi Lauper's "True Colors". Or maybe "Karma Chameleon" or the classic "The Great Pretender." What a swindling toad. 

2 hours ago, Howl said:

This makes me think that Beall must be back in Texas (in San Antonio?)  and DPIAT is at the Durango house,

I thought this as well but in view of her IG she appears to be at the rental in Durango. Halloween night must have been quite interesting at that cute little cottage. 

43 minutes ago, Quinquagenarian said:

I thought this as well but in view of her IG she appears to be at the rental in Durango. Halloween night must have been quite interesting at that cute little cottage. 

I keep hoping one day Beall will break the conditioning and go "Enough" on his ass, but if him telling his mistress to sit back and wait for her to die wasn't enough to push her over the edge, I can't imagine what will be.

DPIAT is gushing over the performances with descriptions such as "extremely hot" and "sensual".

Well, well, well - Little Dougie's true proclivities are showing yet again.

I can only imagine the cognitive dissonance the poor dear suffers when casting his mind back to one of his many pearls of patriarchal wisdom from "Return of the Daughters:"

"The Bible is replete with examples of daughters under the roof of their protecting fathers, and it's completely absent of any examples or principles that lead us to think that it's normative for a daughter just to go out on her own. Numbers 30 says "Daughters, you're under the authority of your dads."

3 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

authority of your dads

THERE is the key phrase dear Marian. As long as he is in charge, to quote Cole Porter,..... "Anything Goes." 

9 hours ago, RebelliousEscapee said:

closeup booty shots, pole dancing,

Did Peter attend?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived