IGNORED

Minnesota Woman Pleads Guilty Of Assaulting Woman For Speaking Swahili

47of74

Another stupid person.

talkingpointsmemo.com/news/minnesota-woman-attacking-woman-speaking-swahili

A Minnesota woman has pleaded guilty to assault for attacking another woman in a restaurant because she was speaking Swahili.

Jodie Burchard-Risch was at an Applebee's in Coon Rapids last year when she smashed her glass beer mug in Asma Jama's face, causing significant injuries. A criminal complaint said Burchard-Risch became upset before the attack because Jama wasn't speaking English.

The 44-year-old Burchard-Risch pleaded guilty Monday to third-degree assault.

Jama told reporters she was happy with the guilty plea.

I had my way she'd be going to prison for a real long time.

5 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

What the fuck is wrong with people?

I ask myself that question every single day

Can we make deals with other countries and send some of our stupid criminals to foreign prisons? I've heard some lovely stories about Russian prisons.

On 10/18/2016 at 0:56 PM, Lurky said:

I am losing faith in humanity.

I say that at least once a day.

Why do so many Americans freak out over someone speaking a language other than English?  I mean, I understand why it can be a problem when the only language they speak is that other language, but when they also speak English, but aren't even with you and are with friends that speak said other language, what is the big deal?  It doesn't impact you, it doesn't take anything away from you.  I mean - does it make them feel stupid because they only speak on language?  Or better than them because they only speak English?  Maybe I don't understand because I live in an officially dual language country (and the US doesn't even have one official language) or because I put my kids in French Immersion so they don't even go to school in English, but honestly, I'm actually more jealous of my friends that speak more than one language because my brain just doesn't like learning other styles of grammar.  

One article I read said she actually smirked through the trial and seemed to think it was a joke.  

Except a lot of Americans ancestors did not speak English when they came here! German, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish, you name it, our ancestors spoke it. So she's really dumb.

On YouTube some (!) US Americans also complain about comments in other languages under videos. Mostly rude words followed by "speak English". -_-

Coon Rapids has an excess of people who live up to the stereotype of pickups truck driving gun owners. In recent years, it's become more urban, but the population hasn't exactly become more urbane.

I have never ever thought of telling someone to "speak English", if they were sitting near me and speaking another language.  

My oldest son used to have a problem with people speaking other languages, but he was FIVE. We had a little chat about how people are here from lots of different countries and it's good for them to speak their languages and how knowing more than one language can be really helpful and he got over it.

On October 21, 2016 at 7:41 PM, canbritam said:

Why do so many Americans freak out over someone speaking a language other than English?  I mean, I understand why it can be a problem when the only language they speak is that other language, but when they also speak English, but aren't even with you and are with friends that speak said other language, what is the big deal?  It doesn't impact you, it doesn't take anything away from you.  I mean - does it make them feel stupid because they only speak on language?  Or better than them because they only speak English?  Maybe I don't understand because I live in an officially dual language country (and the US doesn't even have one official language) or because I put my kids in French Immersion so they don't even go to school in English, but honestly, I'm actually more jealous of my friends that speak more than one language because my brain just doesn't like learning other styles of grammar.  

One article I read said she actually smirked through the trial and seemed to think it was a joke.  

Eh, the continental United States is 3,000 miles from coast to coast, spans four time zones, and has a population of over 300 million people. So there are bound to be some nut cases. I can say that it would be a minority of Americans who would have a problem with two friends speaking their native language to each other in a resteraunt. Don't make this into a stupid American thing. Every country has ignorant people.

Hrm. Heaven help this lady if she ever comes into Minneapolis proper. I doubt the demographics in Coon Rapids are very broad, but the neighborhood I live in (immediately outside downtown Minneapolis) it's almost unusual to hear people speaking english. Her brain might explode. I just got home from my polling place and I'm proud to say that there were lots of ebil terrorist Somalian refugees present and voting. Heaven help us all. :pb_rollseyes:

On November 8, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Shoobydoo said:

Hrm. Heaven help this lady if she ever comes into Minneapolis proper. I doubt the demographics in Coon Rapids are very broad, but the neighborhood I live in (immediately outside downtown Minneapolis) it's almost unusual to hear people speaking english. Her brain might explode. I just got home from my polling place and I'm proud to say that there were lots of ebil terrorist Somalian refugees present and voting. Heaven help us all. :pb_rollseyes:

I was in the twin cities for a tournament. I loved it! I look forward to going back this summer. I could live there. I never in a million years would of thought so.

On 11/10/2016 at 9:25 PM, Grimalkin said:

I was in the twin cities for a tournament. I loved it! I look forward to going back this summer. I could live there. I never in a million years would of thought so.

It's definitely my favorite out of the handful of places I've lived. :) The local theater scene is very good, and there's a lot of fantastic restaurants. And gosh if you like coffee, you'll love it here. There's enough coffee joints here to rival Seattle. Probably one of the most liberal spots in the midwest, too-- in the twin cities, that is. I am given to understand the more rural parts of the state tend to be as conservative as America gets, but something like 80% of the population lives in the cities, so... We can outvote them. At least we didn't go red...

Although King's Island is WAY better than Valley Fair and you will never convince me otherwise. :kitty-wink:

On 05/11/2016 at 11:20 PM, Grimalkin said:

Eh, the continental United States is 3,000 miles from coast to coast, spans four time zones, and has a population of over 300 million people. So there are bound to be some nut cases. I can say that it would be a minority of Americans who would have a problem with two friends speaking their native language to each other in a resteraunt. Don't make this into a stupid American thing. Every country has ignorant people.

Huh.  Seeing as I'm American and have lived in five different states (and three different countries, including the US) thanks for the geography lesson.

I didn't make it into a stupid American thing - I simply asked why so many Americans have a problem with dual (or multi) language people.  There's an entire movement based solely on declaring the US an English only country. It's not just a "few" people.  It's thousands.

Archived